WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2019

How much do you expect you'll spend on games & consoles in 2019?
£0 - £1 - Yar, yar and/or freeware for me yo.  6%  [ 1 ]
£1 - £50  0%  [ 0 ]
£50 - £100  6%  [ 1 ]
£100 - £200 (~£12.50/month)  0%  [ 0 ]
£200 - £300  18%  [ 3 ]
£300 - £400  18%  [ 3 ]
£400 - £600 (~£50/month)  12%  [ 2 ]
£600 - £800  6%  [ 1 ]
£800 - £1000  6%  [ 1 ]
£1000 - £1200 (~£100/month)  18%  [ 3 ]
£1200 - £1500  0%  [ 0 ]
£1500 - £2000  0%  [ 0 ]
£2000 - £mental  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 16
Another year and another attempt to guess how much money your going to spend on gaming !

Any hardware your looking at picking up ?

Are there big games you are going to grab on day 1 - or will you wait for the magic £20 mark ?

Post your estimate here and try and keep track of just how much money you are throwing away when instead you could be outside !

2011 thread : http://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/f ... f=3&t=6653
2012 thread : http://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/f ... f=3&t=8199
2013 thread : http://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/f ... f=3&t=9209
2014 thread : http://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/f ... f=3&t=9879
2015 thread : http://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/f ... =3&t=10294
2016 thread : http://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/f ... =3&t=10653
2017 thread - http://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/f ... =3&t=10922
2018 thread - https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... =3&t=11139

Post your prices inside <> symbols and Grim...'s magic tracker will total everything up for you : http://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/c ... sh2019.php (*)

You can also put negative values in if you've sold items back

(*) when he updates it again
I've got the new Ace Combat pre-ordered and should a PS5 come out this year then that too will probably be a day one purchase for me, otherwise just bits and bats.
I don't see me spending much this year. Towards the end of last year, my most played games were Shining in the Darkness, Castlevania and Pop Bingo, so I'm definitely more interested in the older formats than anything modern. One thing I do want to get this year is a cheap Vectrex, but I don't see me buying an Xbox One or PS4 unless I stumble upon a dirt cheap one.
I expect to be under £500 this year, unless I buy a new CPU for my PC, as that’s the bottleneck now.

Oh wait, I’ll probably get a 4K monitor. So maybe around £1k.

I don’t think the PS5 will be out until 2020, and it might not even be as good as the Xbox Two anyway, judging by the Pro and X. Plus I now only tend to use my PS4 as a Netflix player, so can’t see myself getting a new console anytime soon.
Quote:
I’ll probably get a 4K monitor.

Will you remember to get one with HDR?
I suspect I'll be getting a new PC this year as second-gen Ryzen will be out (not the Gen 1 refresh which is currently what's out), and AMD's new graphics cards should be turning up too. Jnr can have my current PC as she's starting to outgrow hers a bit and it gives me a splendid excuse to get a new PC.

So that immediately puts me in the £2000+ category.

I can't see any other big ticket purchases as there's nothing going on with the consoles, and I already have the big telly and a 4K screen for my PC.

At a guess I'll say £3000.
Satsuma wrote:
Quote:
I’ll probably get a 4K monitor.

Will you remember to get one with HDR?

Of course!
Can't see me spending much this year. Having said that, let's get started:
Hyper Sentinel <1.99>
Fast RMX <12.21>
The Gardens Between <11.07>
Grim Fandango Remastered <2.88>
AirMail <7.84>

That'll do for now.
Apparently I spent £5.99 last year, which is absolutely false and I clearly just didn't post when I should have done.

Anyway, starting off 2019...

<55.00> PlayStation 3 Super Slim
<10.00> Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
<1.00> Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
<7.70> Rocket League - Rocket Pass 2 (PC)
<-19> SpiderHyphenMan
GazChap wrote:
<1.00> Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

"You, sir, have been had." - Sinister Agent
Oh, um.

<22.34> God of War
<49.75> New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (Switch) (pre-order)
I don't need to buy another PC so it'll probably be a few games I guess, guessing 300quidish.
<4.36> OutRun - Switch
<4> Nintendo Switch Online
<7.50> Rocket League (Switch)
<4> Nintendo Switch Online
I'm definitely not buying any games in January... I'm going to take it easy this year.

Anyway....

Sega Ages Out Run <5.69>
Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash <4.95>
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe <37.99>
More brain training from Dr Kawashima <1.00>
Star Wars The Force Unleashed 2 <1.00>
<<22.69>> Sniper Elite 4 key from G2A.com for PC. Would have bought on Steam but they wanted £40 for the same thing.
Hearthly wrote:
<<22.69>> Sniper Elite 4 key from G2A.com for PC. Would have bought on Steam but they wanted £40 for the same thing.

Something I only recently realised about these key reseller sites is that many of them get their stock of keys by buying them from people who bought them with stolen credit cards. The key works, but behind the scenes, the game dev has made a sale, then had to refund the sale (when the card issuer realises it was stolen and claws back the transaction) and then eat some fees on top. It’s actually cheaper for the dev for users to pirate the game. What a nasty business model.
Well that'd be really shit, I thought the keys got snapped up in sales or on bulk discounts and suchlike, and then held onto for resale. i.e. The devs had always got paid for a legit sale at some point.

I knew it was 'grey area' stuff in some regards, but that ultimately folks had already got paid.

It's a franchise I've never played before so thought I'd roll the dice on having a go, (a chap at work was saying it was on XBox Game Pass and he was really having fun with it), but it was basically half price on G2A which seemed like a safer bet for a game I might not like at all.
G2A apparently have a specific rep for fraudulent keys.

Sniper Elite 4 is a fucking brilliant game. Co-op it with a mate if you can.
Hearthly wrote:
Well that'd be really shit, I thought the keys got snapped up in sales or on bulk discounts and suchlike, and then held onto for resale. i.e. The devs had always got paid for a legit sale at some point.

So did I until a colleague explained otherwise. It is pretty shit, aye. I don't think you should feel bad -- you didn't know. But as I only just realised, I thought others might also be equally in the dark, so it was worth mentioning.
<-13.77> Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City x 3 (PC)
<1.18> Blood and Bacon x 2 (PC)
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
So did I until a colleague explained otherwise. It is pretty shit, aye. I don't think you should feel bad -- you didn't know. But as I only just realised, I thought others might also be equally in the dark, so it was worth mentioning.

Yeah fair cop and thanks for the heads up, I don't want to be pinching my games, everyone needs to get paid for their job.

If there was any way I could 'check in' my key as it were, and verify if it was legit or not, I'd be happy to do so. (And if it's a dodgy key, re-purchase through Steam.)
Surprised it's so expensive, it's pretty old now.
Yeah that was the thing, I was like '£40 seems a bit steep for an oldish game that I have no idea if I'll like or not', hence seeking out the cheaper key option.

Having given the game a decent chunk of play this evening, I wish I'd just paid the £40 off Steam, because I've really been enjoying it straight out of the gate. (That bullety/skeletony organ exploding bloody Matrix killcam thing will never get old, I reckon.)
It does in fact never get old.
Maximum marks if you can hit them in the brain via the taint.
Cras wrote:
Maximum marks if you can hit them in the brain via the taint.

I played Zombie Army Trilogy on the Xbox which is basically the same thing with less stealth.

I was really distraught when I accidentally clicked to skip one of the close up snipey death shots.
That is also great. GET TO ZE FÜHRERBUNKER!
<3.19> Silent Warfare Weapons Pack DLC for Sniper Elite 4 (Purchased through Steam, not a keys site)
<2.73> The Birdcage on Android.
<29.99> Forza Horizon 3 Xbox/Typewriter. Gonna Live! it up with my bro.
Do board games count?
<162.85> Refurbished ZX Spectrum +2B with various bits
GazChap wrote:

For that money it had better be gold plated everything ?
What was so special about it ?
GazChap wrote:
Do board games count?

Video games and hardware I think.

<644.98> BenQ EX3501R monitor

I’ve now already spent more than the whole of last year.
<49.99> Ace Combat 7 - PS4 Pro
zaphod79 wrote:
GazChap wrote:

The "various bits" were a Maserati.
Lonewolves wrote:
GazChap wrote:
Do board games count?

Video games and hardware I think.

<644.98> BenQ EX3501R monitor

I’ve now already spent more than the whole of last year.

I think that's more than I've spent on monitors ever.
It’s not even 4K! Un. Be. Leave. A. Bull.
GazChap wrote:
Do board games count?

Heh, I might finally score on this thing if they did.
zaphod79 wrote:

It's been fully refurbished and had all of the "vulnerable" bits replaced etc. - it's around the going rate for a refurbished +2.
Satsuma wrote:
It’s not even 4K! Un. Be. Leave. A. Bull.

:D
GazChap wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:

It's been fully refurbished and had all of the "vulnerable" bits replaced etc. - it's around the going rate for a refurbished +2.

Did you get any SD card loading thingy with it?
TheVision wrote:

No, but I'm not fussed about that. I've got quite a few tapes and I can play .tap/.tzx files through my phone.
GazChap wrote:
TheVision wrote:

No, but I'm not fussed about that. I've got quite a few tapes and I can play .tap/.tzx files through my phone.

Excellent. I have an SD card reader for my Atari 800Xl and I don't think I could go back to tapes now. This is so convenient.

It's also quite amazing that you can do that with your phone when you think about it. Imagine knowing that when we were kids? It would have blown our minds.
Page 1 of 15 [ 708 posts ]