Bobby Davro
About time for his own thread
Backing this. At least now all the Bobby Davro stuff can be in one place instead of all over the rest of the forum.
Indeed. Was getting impossible to follow or find Davro-related posts.
Grim... wrote:

That thread was about a thing Davro did, this thread is about Davro the person. Totally different topics.
Grim... wrote:

No way! Now, where's the Gazz Topp thread?

:attitude: :attitude:
Findus Fop wrote:

That is not who I thought Bobby Davro was.
Did you think he was Freddy Star? I used to get those two mixed up.
He just... He just can't smile.
TheVision wrote:

No, I know that he and Les Dennis get mixed up, but o was pretty sure that I knew which was which. What I now believe I’ve realised is that it doesn’t matter if you say Bobby Davro or Les Dennis, I always picture Les Dennis.
Mimi wrote:
TheVision wrote:

No, I know that he and Les Dennis get mixed up, but o was pretty sure that I knew which was which. What I now believe I’ve realised is that it doesn’t matter if you say Bobby Davro or Les Dennis, I always picture Les Dennis.

It's a known syndrome, colloquially known as Les Davros.

As in, "Ey, you got a touch of Les Davrosses again?"
Findus Fop wrote:
Mimi wrote:
TheVision wrote:

"DOK-TORRRRRRR"
Lonewolves wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Mimi wrote:
TheVision wrote:

"DOK-TORRRRRRR"

Wow. Les Dennis aged badly.
That's Bobby Davro.
Les Davros sounds like a Les Paul knock-off that was made in Japan in the 70s, but is now sought after for it's amazing tone and build quality.
Nah, it's where you went in your mid-teens on a Saturday night due to their relaxed approach to licensing laws.
Grim... wrote:
That's Bobby Davro.

Now it makes sense.
Pundabaya wrote:
Les Davros sounds like a Les Paul knock-off that was made in Japan in the 70s, but is now sought after for it's amazing tone and build quality.

Appetite for Destriction was recorded on a les Paul copy.
MaliA wrote:
Pundabaya wrote:

Appetite for Destriction was recorded on a les Paul copy.

Wrong. It was a Gibson Les Paul Standard 1959 replica. Still a guitar made by Gibson, but a replica of the 1959 version.
Technically correct, though...
I still beg to differ. I wasn’t recorded ‘on’ that guitar, but ‘with’ it.
Actually, it wasn't made by Gibson, it was made by an independent luthier. It is a copy of a 59 LP. Gibson don't appear to give a shit.
Billy Gibbons o(of ZZ Top) often plays a Tokai Love Rock LP copy.
Pundabaya wrote:
Actually, it wasn't made by Gibson, it was made by an independent luthier. It is a copy of a 59 LP. Gibson don't appear to give a shit.
Billy Gibbons o(of ZZ Top) often plays a Tokai Love Rock LP copy.

Interesting!

No, they won’t tend to give a shit if the counterfeit items are close enough to the real thing. Nike and Adidas work with Royal Mail to check fake stuff coming in from China. If it’s close enough to the real thing they let it through. It’s only if it’s a very poor copy they’ll ask for it to be destroyed as it would damage the brand.
The thing is Slash sells Gibson guitars whether he plays an actual Gibson or that copy.

The really interesting stuff is the "lawsuit" guitar era, when (CBS-owned) Fender and Gibson were shipping low quality gear, and Ibanez, Tokai, Burny et al in Japan were building copies that were better than the originals. Those guitars are highly sought after.
Yeah that’s the same reasoning behind letting good copies through. If people are wearing fake Nike trainers that are indistinguishable from the real thing, they’re still advertising the brand. It’s fascinating really.
Is it not just the guideline so that they don't bin off genuine ones by mistake? I can't imagine that Nike would want to condone copies that look okay but fall apart after a week and also undercut all their usual retailers just because "it's advertising".
Lonewolves wrote:
Yeah that’s the same reasoning behind letting good copies through. If people are wearing fake Nike trainers that are indistinguishable from the real thing, they’re still advertising the brand. It’s fascinating really.

Which, in a way, is precisely the relationship Les Dennis and Bobby Davro enjoy.
markg wrote:
Is it not just the guideline so that they don't bin off genuine ones by mistake? I can't imagine that Nike would want to condone copies that look okay but fall apart after a week and also undercut all their usual retailers just because "it's advertising".

I’m just repeating what my trainer (lol) told me on my induction. I’m sure they do more than just look at them.
Wait, do they open them?
Grim... wrote:
Wait, do they open them?

The police do.
...do, do, a-dah, dah, dah.
Page 1 of 1 [ 32 posts ]