Cable Management
Most of my cabling mess is spread out across different places so it doesn't look as bad as it could. That said, I really need to be doing some vacuuming and dusting during my break next week.

PC cables -
Attachment:
IMG_20180810_120310707.jpg

Main TV setup (with actual unused sockets!)
Attachment:
IMG_20180810_120431217.jpg

Spare TV setup
Attachment:
IMG_20180810_120446137.jpg

Testing setup
Attachment:
IMG_20180810_120519217.jpg
I'm not doing it again.
I reckon Grim... gets point for having an active optical output hanging loose. Where should that be plugged into?
Devilman's not terribly messy, but... the dust! No allergies in your house.
DavPaz wrote:

It's certainly easy to tell that I live alone. :)
Devilman wins front of desk cable mess but Grim... wins back of desk cause it looks like he’s pushed every cable off the desk since the dawn of computing.
DavPaz wrote:
I reckon Grim... gets point for having an active optical output hanging loose. Where should that be plugged into?

I reckon it comes out of the PS4 and could go into the amp but my amp is ancient and only has one optical socket.
DavPaz wrote:

i was thinking that... eek the dust
There are a few things higher up the priority list than dust at the moment -
Attachment:
IMG_20180810_135743767.jpg
Some new cable management taking place behind my TV. It's much easier to turn each console off and on now.
I'm glad you went back and labelled the switch at the end "switch" else you could have got it mixed up with the hot water tap or something.
Oh it's two different ones! You need to sort that out.
What does the left switch do? WHAT DOES THE LEFT SWITCH DO!
KovacsC wrote:
Nice labelling :)

Apart from the lack of a space in 'Mega Drive' ;)
Now let’s see your extension lead spreadsheet!
Trooper wrote:

That's some LED lights which is left on all the time so it doesn't need a label.
TheVision wrote:
Trooper wrote:

That's some LED lights which is left on all the time so it doesn't need a label.

What if you forget and turn it off
Also, why does your megadrive plug look like an iphone charger?
Mr Chonks wrote:
What if you forget and turn it off

Good point. I'll print a label.

Trooper wrote:
Also, why does your megadrive plug look like an iphone charger?

That's actually a security camera plug, the Mega drive plug is to the left of the red switch and label. Also, interestingly (It is.... honest!) My Megadrive plug powers my Mega Drive, Mega CD and 32X off one socket rather than three. That's amazing!

KovacsC wrote:
Nice labelling :)

Thanks!
Now I need to see how you connect all that to your telly.
A Scart switcher with 5 inputs.
A Component switcher with 3 inputs
S video (which I have to manually switch... Annoying)
Composite input
3 HDMI inputs and I think the Xbox 360 goes into the Xbox One?
A VGA input for the Dreamcast.

I have a Logitech surround sound system which handles some audio too.

I think that's everything?
TheVision wrote:
That's actually a security camera plug, the Mega drive plug is to the left of the red switch and label. Also, interestingly (It is.... honest!) My Megadrive plug powers my Mega Drive, Mega CD and 32X off one socket rather than three. That's amazing!

Something odd that I found out a little while back (apologies if I've already mentioned it) - if you have a MD (I think I used a MD2) and 32X set up and play a game, if you pull out the power cable from the back of the Mega Drive, it all stays running, so it looks like the 32X PSU powers everything, but you need the MD power initially to start things up.
So the switch with the switch doesn't actually have a switch plugged into the switch and the security camera doesn't have a label.
Trooper wrote:
So the switch with the switch doesn't actually have a switch plugged into the switch and the security camera doesn't have a label.

You'd probably pass out if you found out the Switch plug currently has a Neo Geo CD plugged into it.
TheVision's home, yesterday:

I don't have the same level of commitment.

Attachment:
20200707_131816.jpg

Bonus that the one for the tv has come off - also I found a label marked 360, on the floor.
I just unplug stuff until I find the right one. I don’t have to do it often so it’s not too much of a faff.
I'm not really one to take the mick, I have ID tags on every cable going into the back of my PC.
GazChap wrote:
I'm not really one to take the mick, I have ID tags on every cable going into the back of my PC.

You know what? I'm really not all that surprised.
GazChap wrote:

I tried wrapping labels round most of the network/video cables, but they usually fall off. I don't think my heart's really in this.
Page 2 of 2 [ 82 posts ]