Google Home
Well, we picked a Google Home mini yesterday, they are on offer at the moment so it felt like a good time to have a dabble.

Frankly, it was worth the money just for an evening of comedy value! /Children

In fairness it works mostly quite well, when it doesn't pick something up it's no different to my fat fingers jabbing at the wrong thing on my phone.

The voice is very clear.

The 'add to shopping list' is a real gem and we now have a shared shopping list set up.

Creepiness: Joans can broadcast his voice over it from elsewhere. :S

Minor frustration: I wanted to be able to listen to my podcasts from it. It currently doesn't link to a pod cast application, but you can just say what you want to listen to. I can't seem to specify which episode though, linking to the most recent one even when I specify an episode number.

This is just a few thoughts after playing with it for a couple of hours. Will do more research before deciding if we will need a max or just go with a smart speaker.
After googling (who knew), turns out you can cast audio from your phone, which probably works.
There’s a new Google podcast app and it will share state with that eg. where you are in episodes. This works across all Assistant surfaces eg phones and Home.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... asts&hl=en
How well does that work across accounts because I've just installed the app on my phone and it's listing the podcast that GJ was playing earlier (on the home) as in progress.
Hmmm, not sure. Have you turned on multi user voice recognition on the Home?
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
There’s a new Google podcast app and it will share state with that eg. where you are in episodes. This works across all Assistant surfaces eg phones and Home.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... asts&hl=en

No Android Auto?
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Hmmm, not sure. Have you turned on multi user voice recognition on the Home?

Yes, it knows who we are.
Also, what DavPaz said.
It's not a very good Podcast app, sadly.

Have you played "I'm feeling lucky"?
Too much investment in Echo for these

But I'm guessing that as they are made by Google they are smarter and do more stuff?

If they can block people from using them based on voice recognition then I'm in :)
asfish wrote:
Too much investment in Echo for these

But I'm guessing that as they are made by Google they are smarter and do more stuff?

If they can block people from using them based on voice recognition then I'm in :)

Well I think you can only use them if you are connected with voice recognition set up. I couldn't use it until I connected my account to it. It can tell me and Joan's apart, it can tell you our names based on who is speaking. It's witchcraft I tell you!!!
You can't stop it working with guests, as far as I'm aware.
I set an alarm on my friends Google Home for 3 O'clock in the morning so you're right. You can't stop it.
TheVision wrote:
I set an alarm on my friends Google Home for 3 O'clock in the morning so you're right. You can't stop it.

:DD nice. We used to hide alarm clocks under beds, this is a far more modern way.
Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]