Non-gaming PC hardware thread
Chill yo framerate
I don't think we have a thread like this currently. I'm not particularly abreast of what's a good buy hardware wise right now, so it's time for an RMD.

I'm looking for home office kit, pretty much. Up to date hardware where possible, but I'm not going to be doing any video editing or any gaming beyond the odd bit of indie shit in Steam, so there's no point in investing lots in bleeding edge hardware or graphics cards. Probably something like an i5 or equivalent, 8/16GB RAM, and a mid-size SSD (I've got tons of NAS space).

So what's good value right now in PCs and panels?
You should get an all-in-one. Maybe even an iMac.
Just get a mac. They are so much better than a PC as a one stop box.
Gotta be windows, but otherwise I'm not averse to all in one type systems.
MaliA wrote:

Craster is the only person I know who got a Mac, wiped it, and installed Windows. He is in thrall to BillG. He will never change. He has no truck with Unix.
Something something something LEDs something something.
Cras wrote:

I like the Acer all in ones...

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/series/aspireu27

But we keep ordering Dells :facepalm:
Cras wrote:

Surface Studio dooooo iiiittt
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Craster is the only person I know who got a Mac, wiped it, and installed Windows. He is in thrall to BillG. He will never change. He has no truck with Unix.

Fucking right.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cras wrote:

Oooh, yeah. Do that!
Cras wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Fucking right.

It is really weird for beginners when successful commands complete with no output.
Why does a home office need anything specific? Doesn't literally everything run Word and Excel?
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cras wrote:

Which part of "not bleeding edge home office" suggests I want to spent three grand?!
MrChris wrote:
Why does a home office need anything specific? Doesn't literally everything run Word and Excel?

It doesn't. But it specifically doesn't need any of the stuff recommended in the PC gaming hardware thread.
Cras wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cras wrote:

Which part of "not bleeding edge home office" suggests I want to spent three grand?!

You don’t want to. But you should.
Cras wrote:

It’s got a 965M! It’s very definitely not bleeding edge so fulfills 100% of the project brief.
Cras wrote:
It doesn't. But it specifically doesn't need any of the stuff recommended in the PC gaming hardware thread.

I’m struggling to see any difference apart from GPU.
Controversially, I've been musing over what the minimum spec gaming PC would cost. To be able to play say Day Z with reasonable settings.

Should I split myself out?
Help us out (and yourself, otherwise you'll get £3K machines shouted at you as is happening already): what's your rough budget here
Me or Craster?

If me then under £500.

Grim... was that for me? If so x

(although it's not very jaggy for a gaming PC, all the gaming ones are really jaggy)
Bamba wrote:
Help us out (and yourself, otherwise you'll get £3K machines shouted at you as is happening already): what's your rough budget here

Under a grand with a panel, ideally. I am flexible though.
Zardoz wrote:
Me or Craster?

If me then under £500.

Grim... was that for me? If so x

(although it's not very jaggy for a gaming PC, all the gaming ones are really jaggy)

OMG the thread title literally says non-gaming. GTFO
You do know what forum this is, right?
Grim... wrote:
http://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/desktops-and-all-in-ones/inspiron-desktop/spd/inspiron-3662-desktop/cd66202

Bosh

I mean, thanks for "Dell Make Desktops FYI", but what do I want? They have iX-7XXX series CPUs, is it worth getting the 8XXX series or are they not worth the expense? Are they good value for the price?
Cras wrote:
I don't think we have a thread like this currently. I'm not particularly abreast of what's a good buy hardware wise right now, so it's time for an RMD.

I'm looking for home office kit, pretty much. Up to date hardware where possible, but I'm not going to be doing any video editing or any gaming beyond the odd bit of indie shit in Steam, so there's no point in investing lots in bleeding edge hardware or graphics cards. Probably something like an i5 or equivalent, 8/16GB RAM, and a mid-size SSD (I've got tons of NAS space).

So what's good value right now in PCs and panels?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-Elite-Con ... dpSrc=srch
Zardoz wrote:
Controversially, I've been musing over what the minimum spec gaming PC would cost. To be able to play say PUBG with reasonable settings.

Should I split myself out?

Fixed
Cras wrote:
Grim... wrote:
http://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/desktops-and-all-in-ones/inspiron-desktop/spd/inspiron-3662-desktop/cd66202

Bosh

I mean, thanks for "Dell Make Desktops FYI", but what do I want? They have iX-7XXX series CPUs, is it worth getting the 8XXX series or are they not worth the expense? Are they good value for the price?

That one I linked to? Click "buy".

It's not especially good value, but it's plenty of PC for your needs. And you're lazy ;)
Jesus, the one you linked to is a Pentium!
Either you only want it for Word or you don't. That Pentium can run Chrome - three simultaneous tabs!

Get this one if you need an "i" in your processor: http://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/desktops ... op/cd66825
Incredible scenes.
Grim... wrote:
That Pentium can run Chrome - three simultaneous tabs!

Are you sure? It only has 8 GB of RAM.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I only have 8GB of RAM. :(
Lonewolves wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I only have 8GB of RAM. :(

ME TOO
Funnily enough RAM isn't my issue at the moment. I think I need a new CPU though as it regularly states I am at 100% usage.
Check for websites doing crypto mining.
Grim... wrote:

Interesting. How can I do this?

I tend to close my browser windows when I'm not using them out of habit as iRacing is pretty CPU intensive and so is Firefox.
open task manager. See if <browser.exe> is still running and hoovering up RAM and CPU time.
Also msiexec, in case windows update is doing background sneakiness.
DavPaz wrote:
open task manager. See if <browser.exe> is still running and hoovering up RAM and CPU time.

Not really. :shrug:
Cras wrote:
Also msiexec, in case windows update is doing background sneakiness.

Not sure which option to choose. But nothing seems to be running.
Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Interesting. How can I do this?

I tend to close my browser windows when I'm not using them out of habit as iRacing is pretty CPU intensive and so is Firefox.

Look at your CPU usage. If it is jammed at 100% close Chrome and see what happens...

I had the issue recently with a "questionable" football stream. Thing is, with 14 cores and 28 threads I soon notice it, because the back of my PC turns into a storage heater..

I now use MinerBlock and Nocoin attachments for Chrome. That stopped it.
I can't close Chrome. :(
Try rebooting.

(Also, use something like process explorer and close the entire tree. If something stops this, you should see what causes it)
Do you need to run games on it too? Maybe Zardoz could help, I hear he's looking to buy something new.
Lonewolves wrote:

Not a good sign.
DavPaz wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Not a good sign.

Would be weirder if I could close an application I don't have installed.
Lonewolves wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Not a good sign.

Would be weirder if I could close an application I don't have installed.

I get it now.
Page 1 of 2 [ 54 posts ]