World Cup 2018
40 minutes of crap, 50 of excellence. Cool, calm and well played (especially Pickford, again).

We still believe.....
Pundabaya wrote:
I'm an ABE.

Anyone But England. And I mean anyone. Russia are actually prototype genetically engineered supersoldiers whose victory will directly cause World War 3? I'll take them.

The French pre-match warm-up involves sacrificing innocent animals to Satan? I'd take them.

Belgium employ a sniper to shoot any member of the opposing team that crosses the half-way line? I'd take them.

I'd have even taken a Neymar-led Brazil. That's how serious I am.

Giphy "but why":
https://media2.giphy.com/media/LAFShX32UwUj6/giphy-loop.mp4
JohnCoffey wrote:
40 minutes of crap, 50 of excellence. Cool, calm and well played (especially Pickford, again).

We still believe.....

Indeed, a very cagey start on both sides, but once England got the bit between their teeth, they really were in control for the majority of the game.
Warhead wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

We still believe.....

Indeed, a very cagey start on both sides, but once England got the bit between their teeth, they really were in control for the majority of the game.

Much more like Spurs. Not letting them have the ball, then not letting them keep it and just generally badgering them until we got what we want. That was a pleasure to watch, and I only bit one fingernail.

Actually I wanted to point out that I thought the whole team put a proper shift in today. Pickford was exceptional, but so were the rest once they gathered some momentum. Even Ashley Young was fantastic. Fair play England.
DavPaz wrote:
Pundabaya wrote:
I'm an ABE.

Anyone But England. And I mean anyone. Russia are actually prototype genetically engineered supersoldiers whose victory will directly cause World War 3? I'll take them.

The French pre-match warm-up involves sacrificing innocent animals to Satan? I'd take them.

Belgium employ a sniper to shoot any member of the opposing team that crosses the half-way line? I'd take them.

I'd have even taken a Neymar-led Brazil. That's how serious I am.

Giphy "but why":
https://media0.giphy.com/media/DfTZWmFpLx3os/giphy-loop.mp4

Okay, the Neymar one was a bit much...
I was:
15 in 1990
21 in 1996
43 in 2018
Ok -9 in 1966

You might expect that it's only 25% chance that it is coming home, but you are wrong. It is coming home and there is nothing you can do about it.
Pundabaya wrote:
Okay, the Neymar one was a bit much...

Phew!
I went out and deleted all the tedious cunts off Facebook too, but I’d never friended Pundy in the first place so it didn’t take long.
The only tedious cunt on your friends list is your mom's, and that's tedious cos everyone on Facebook has seen it already.
Pundabaya wrote:
Agent Starling wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Agent Starling wrote:
Pundabaya wrote:
Come on Colombia!

:this:

I so want these English pricks out tonight. It’ll happen soon anyway, but let’s get it done tonight and sorted, then I can enjoy winding people up at work tomorrow.

Sorry. You'll have to wait!

I fucking hate them! Still, the further they get and then lose, the sweeter it’ll be. Jammy bastards though.

Meet Brazil in the final, get embarrassed 6-0? I'd take that.

Well, we know that’s not going to happen.
Agent Starling wrote:
Well those English fuckers appear to be through so I’m just all out of interest now. I hate this poxy country and those spawny footballers.

There’s still hope I guess - they still need to win two more games so there’s still hope to crash out in tears.

I mean, you could focus on your own life instead of spending it being insanely, irrationally bitter about others.

Just saying.
Curiosity wrote:
Agent Starling wrote:
Well those English fuckers appear to be through so I’m just all out of interest now. I hate this poxy country and those spawny footballers.

There’s still hope I guess - they still need to win two more games so there’s still hope to crash out in tears.

I mean, you could focus on your own life instead of spending it being insanely, irrationally bitter about others.

Just saying.

But that’s no fun at all.
Russia equalised in extra-time. Looking more like penalties. Lucky fuckers.
These are the worst penalties.
Russia didn’t deserve to go through anyway. England v Croatia.
I'm happy with that. Could you imagine playing Russia? 1000 of us 59,000 of them. We'd be drowned out completely.

Neither team looked anything much to me tonight. I reckon we could 'ave em. Roll on Weds. Have extended my visit to Mrs JC Sr because none of my friends like football and I don't want to watch it on my jack jones.

Ed. This was nice to see :)

https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/07/frank-sk ... s-7691133/

Agent Starling wrote:

But that’s no fun at all.

TBH I'd be a bit gutted if I ragged on England and they did so well that I missed out on all of the fun because I was too busy hating on them.

It's kinda like me and my depression. I go to some things thinking "FFS I don't want to go" end up sitting there miserable and then really regret it after when I saw how much fun every one but me had.
I've heard that It's Coming Home.

Let's see if that's still true after a couple of hours, shall we?
So many fucking adverts. Why is it not on the BBC.

And people moan about the licence fee.

And who are all these people I've never even heard of doing little talking head bits yammering shite?
That's not a bad start.
Hearthly wrote:
So many fucking adverts. Why is it not on the BBC.

And people moan about the licence fee.

And who are all these people I've never even heard of doing little talking head bits yammering shite?

haha what you even doing watching it? :DD

Mon England !
I'll make an exception for England in the quarter finals or better in the World Cup, and the semis in the Euro.

Mrs Hearthly is quite partial to some football as well.
That's awesome man.

We need another goal.
Hearthly wrote:
I'll make an exception for England in the quarter finals or better in the World Cup, and the semis in the Euro.

Heh. At this stage, even I'm watching it!
:(

Ed. The old arsehole's going... Squeaky bum time.
Oh England. Tsk.
Well if we lose at least I will always have this...

David hasslehoff looking constipated?
So many missed chances :'(
I think we did well. Very proud of the lads. Kept trying til the last.
*explodes with utter joy* :D :D :D

Normal service is resumed. As you were.

See you all in four years (though we’ll probably all be dead from Brexit by then).
JohnCoffey wrote:
Well if we lose at least I will always have this...

A room full of tat?
Hope Croatia smash the French.
Agent Starling wrote:

See you all in four years (though we’ll probably all be dead from Brexit by then).

Bit harsh...
That was a frustrating second half and extra time. Disappointing result, but well done to getting that far.
It's coming home.
Mr Dave wrote:
It's coming home.

Possibly.

In four years time.
I’m sort of glad: the Brexiters would have been fucking unbearable.
Agent Starling wrote:

Performative, exaggerated dislike of popular things isn’t cool or interesting. It just makes you look like an edgelord desperate to get a rise out of passers-by, like people who pretentiously announce that, well, they don’t have a TV, actually.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Agent Starling wrote:

Performative, exaggerated dislike of popular things isn’t cool or interesting. It just makes you look like an edgelord desperate to get a rise out of passers-by, like people who pretentiously announce that, well, they don’t have a TV, actually.

DavPaz wrote:
Hope Croatia smash the French.

I did like the dark kit they wore tonight.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Agent Starling wrote:

I'd generally agree with this, but while I don't agree with AS' post I kind of understand where it comes from; in terms of football specifically.

It's ubiquity makes it a unique case--unlike Love Island or whatever--and the toxic masculinity that often goes hand in hand with the culture of it is, again, especially hateful. I'm more mellow about the whole thing than I used to be but even in the last week I've suffered a load of weird looks and negative reactions (to various degrees) when responding to World Cup related questions with, "I don't know what you're talking about and don't follow the sport." And that's genuinely selling the nonsense I've seen over the years very, very short indeed.

I've learned not to be such an 'edgelord' in my day to day behaviour, but to characterise football as just 'a popular thing' like it was Game of Thrones or Fortnite is to massively miss the point of how endemic it is.

Being a dick about football is pointless, but pretending you don't realise where that dickishness comes from is genuinely unbelievable when it comes from someone as smart as you.
Side bar: I'm drunk as shit right now so it's much more than possible that my opinions expressed above are either inappropriate or obvious horseshit (or, more likely, both at the same time). It's certainly a 100% certainty that I'm being a needless dick to Gaywood at the very least. My own experience of 'football culture' though is one of exclusion and emotional damage (not to me necessarily, but as an overall impact of men I know of various ages) so I'm always going to sympathise with anyone who hates the entire edifice and be less sympathetic of the "it's only a game" crowd.
Satsuma wrote:
I’m sort of glad: the Brexiters would have been fucking unbearable.

I already did that one!

https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 48#p994648
I’ve got you on ignore.

I mean, who said that?
Bamba wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Agent Starling wrote:

I'd generally agree with this, but while I don't agree with AS' post I kind of understand where it comes from; in terms of football specifically.

It's ubiquity makes it a unique case--unlike Love Island or whatever--and the toxic masculinity that often goes hand in hand with the culture of it is, again, especially hateful. I'm more mellow about the whole thing than I used to be but even in the last week I've suffered a load of weird looks and negative reactions (to various degrees) when responding to World Cup related questions with, "I don't know what you're talking about and don't follow the sport." And that's genuinely selling the nonsense I've seen over the years very, very short indeed.

I've learned not to be such an 'edgelord' in my day to day behaviour, but to characterise football as just 'a popular thing' like it was Game of Thrones or Fortnite is to massively miss the point of how endemic it is.

Being a dick about football is pointless, but pretending you don't realise where that dickishness comes from is genuinely unbelievable when it comes from someone as smart as you.

Also it's magnified by 1000x when its a world cup.
Yeah I can kinda understand how annoying it is. I've never been a huge fan of tennis, so I do have a bit of a groan when it's on every year. I used to be a total football hater myself. I guess football would be even more annoying, given people don't go down the pub singing "It's coming home" or getting stupid drunk and being assholes over tennis.

I went into this world cup with no expectations. I was more than pleasantly surprised, and really enjoyed it. I think France would have taken us apart any way, so no major loss there. Plus Croatia beat us fair and square, so deserve to be there more than us any way.
Bamba wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Agent Starling wrote:

Pretty much this.

I enjoyed my time at primary school up until the world Cup in 1988. After which basically if you were a boy and didn't like football, welcome to shun City.
It's not hyperbole to say this has had something of a lifelong effect, so yeah, I'm rather more happy when football is not being shoved in my face constantly.
I thought that from the second half, England dropped their heads and Walker should have come off then (before Croatia equalised), he had a terrible time of it. After soaking up a lot of pressure,they looked tired.

All in all, a decent campaign, though, with a lot of promise.
Page 6 of 7 [ 334 posts ]