Red Dead Redemption 2
Spring 2018
Serious question but do most people work in the games industry because it's the only gig in town for their skill set and the only way for them to feed their families or just because they really want to out of a love for games? In other words is it desperation that's being exploited or just their enthusiasm. I have sympathy either way but to differing degrees I guess.
MaliA wrote:
Kern wrote:
I work in the public sector. Would someone explain the concepts of 'bonuses' and 'performance' for me?

Basically, you do the best you can to get your scores in order then spend ages on the phone telling the factory planners to just fucking make what you told them to (they will work to their own KPIs, which is basically efficiencies) and get them to tell the factory workers to stop fucking shit up and at the end of the financial year you get told how great it all was but sorry no cash and then the game starts again.

You seem to be saying capitalism is bullshit, so I'm glad we agree.
markg wrote:
Serious question but do most people work in the games industry because it's the only gig in town for their skill set and the only way for them to feed their families or just because they really want to out of a love for games? In other words is it desperation that's being exploited or just their enthusiasm. I have sympathy either way but to differing degrees I guess.

Enthusiasm.

It's a job you do because you want to.
Enthusiasm is often worse for employee abuse. Because not doing the dangerous/illegal thing gets "I thought you loved this business" and "you know I can replace you, there are hundreds of people who'd kill to have your job."

See Workshop, Games and how their staff used to be treated...
Anyway...

It's beautiful, cinematic, gloriously sedate yet interspersed with brutal violence.

The controls are fucking shocking at points. e.g. lassoing someone from horseback. IIRC it's whack x to get up to speed, hold L1 to bring up weapon wheel, hold R stick diagonally down and left, let go of L1, hold L2 to lock onto target, press L1 to lasso, keep holding L2, press triangle to get off horse, keep holding L2, hold circle to hogtie, keep holding L2, hold square to pick up the person, walk to rear of horse, hold square to put the person on the horse, hold triangle to mount, away you go... simple.
Fuck's sake. Kids are being twats and MrsA decided we should eat a curry from the curry place that always takes 2 hours to bother making it, so even though the gargantuan install is over and it says "HDR ON OFF"(Uh, I dunno, yes?), after food and a couple of Riverdales it'll be late late late.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Kern wrote:
I work in the public sector. Would someone explain the concepts of 'bonuses' and 'performance' for me?

I work in the private sector, could you explain the concept of "having a pension" to me?

This very much isn’t true any more, by the way. I don’t know any public servants whose pensions aren’t comparatively awful; certainly not anything like makes up for the shit pay. Main benefit is job security these days rather than pensions.
Sure. It’s about as accurate as the stereotype that all private sector workers get tons of money though.
markg wrote:

Others have said it's because of enthusiasm but additionally it also provides a massive jobs market for people without tons of experience. The demand curve for AAA games titles is such that they'll hire tons of junior developers and tons of junior testers on a temp basis, which gets you a job even though it never leads to anything else. It's probably not far removed from Hollywood casting.
This is brilliant.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Kern wrote:

I work in the private sector, could you explain the concept of "having a pension" to me?

Yeah, happy to!

I don't understand how that has anything to do with workers in a particular industry getting treated like utter shit?

You acknowledge that it's A Thing so what are we actually arguing about now?
MaliA wrote:
This is brilliant.

I'm enjoying this public Vs private jousting too.
Christ-o, this is fantastic.
It's so very pretty.
Further judgment is reserved.
AWESUMZ.

I really do not want to go to bed. It is superb.
Nah, still don't fancy this.

I think it's partly because horses are shit. At least 60% of the fun of GTA is jacking a fast car/bike and bombing round the city.

Oh yeah, and the guns are shit too.
Sure is pretty.

Attachment:
FB_IMG_1540608608256.jpg
Should probably stop now.
I have no money left but my sawn off shotgun looks frickin sweet.
Wow! I'm very impressed with the detail in those screen shots. It really does look lovely.
It's getting quite a bit of backlash on Reddit due to how slow it is to play and the controls. Pace wise I don't agree, I think the sedate pace is a good thing, or at least it is so far. Maybe my opinion will change when I'm 40 hours in though!

Controls wise I totally agree, another one I remembered last night, when you drop your hat and gun, it's square to pick up your hat and L1 to pick up your gun. Just...why?
Pace of game feels fine to me.

I had a fight and went back to get my hat. It isn't a special hat, I just like it.

A man gave me some photos to find some people with, but I cannot for the life of me find them in my inventory.
I've lost my hat
I didn't know that skinning a deer was just like peeling a banana.
Trooper wrote:
I didn't know that skinning a deer was just like peeling a banana.

Rabbit skinning is hilarious, he just flips them inside out.
Nice to see all that (mandatory over)time spent on the world was well spent.
I went to hunt a bear and came back with a dear.
Press Square to wash left leg
I'm thoroughly enjoying it, but haven't got a bloody clue how anything works. How do I get rid of my bounty? How do I know how full my satchel is? Do crafting ingredients count as filling it up? Why do I have to set what weapons I want every time I get of my horse? What's the difference between white and yellow tonics? How do I see my health when it's not going down? What's the difference between the inside symbol and outside ring? How do I talk to someone without them wanting to fight me? How do I stop fighting someone other than by killing them?

This game is a triumph despite all that, imagine what it could have been without rockstar doing the controls and interface though!

I offered to help a dude with his horse, sorry fella...

Gold prospector wanted to talk to me, now he is floating down the river, he didn't even have any gold. I have his hat.
You have to go to the telegram office to pay off your bounty I think.
Trooper wrote:
I've lost my hat

It's in your saddle bag.

And Mali is nearly correct - go to a post office to pay off your bounty.
This game is going to have to do something insane in the later hours to not be game of the generation.

It's a masterpiece.
Early American railroad lines were pretty impressive too.
Not when you trip over them.
Grim... wrote:
This game is going to have to do something insane in the later hours to not be game of the generation.

It's a masterpiece.

Better than Spider-Man?
This is the best game I have played since skyrim.
Game of the generation is Nier:Automata and it's not even close.
Grim... wrote:

:this:
Bamba wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Kern wrote:

Yeah, happy to!

I don't understand how that has anything to do with workers in a particular industry getting treated like utter shit?

You acknowledge that it's A Thing so what are we actually arguing about now?

I don't know if Bamba fucked up the quote there or was so eager to argue with someone he didn't even notice what he did.
Grim... wrote:
Grim... wrote:

:this:

It is far too good.
Grim... wrote:
Yup.

Ok fair enough. I'll get it for £20 second hand in a year or so. ;)
I bought a fifteen dollar horse and called it myp.
The companion app has a full manual in it, which kinda explains a few things that have been confusing.
MaliA wrote:
I bought a fifteen dollar horse and called it myp.

I'm expensive!
I upset a gang and now they are well after me. Had a posse chase me. I also had a bath.
Trooper wrote:
The companion app has a full manual in it, which kinda explains a few things that have been confusing.

The what now?
The companion app.
It's an app, that's a companion to the game.
Page 5 of 12 [ 595 posts ]