What have you bought?
Don’t say it, display it
I'm going to get a second hand (it looks barely worn) G-Shock mudmaster off someone local - as long as it looks legit. Apparently there are many knock offs of this model.
Warhead wrote:
Attachment:
Picture rail hanging kit.jpg
This reminds me to ask, does anyone know of a simple, preferably cheap, way of hanging frames from a ~45 degree sloped ceiling? My office has a vaulted ceiling with exposed perlins, I want to put my star wars movie posters up there. The frames are not heavy.

Like those 3M Command strips, but more likely to hold.

You know, I should probably just try the command strips we have loads of instead of assuming they don't work.

Edit: or I should just use cheap velcro off Amazon, the pictures will only come down to redecorate anyway so non-removable adhesive doesn't matter much. Don't trust proper fixings because we suspect there's not a lot between wallpaper inside and roof tiles outsides.
The command strips are pretty good if the ceiling finish is smooth and your frames aren’t made from lead or something silly.
I'm not sure I'd trust them with a 45-degree angle though. In my experience, those command strips *always* fail eventually, and I can only assume that an unbalanced hang like that would accelerate it.
Really short screws straight into the exposed perlins?

Or, rotate the roof through another 45 degrees and then it will be fine
GazChap wrote:
I'm not sure I'd trust them with a 45-degree angle though. In my experience, those command strips *always* fail eventually, and I can only assume that an unbalanced hang like that would accelerate it.

Really? We’ve never had one fail and we had them up for years at the flat, so maybe it is a difference of wall finishes, but either way, yes, best to avoid if there’s any doubt. You don’t want a picture frame landing on your head (I have a white streak in my hair where exactly that happened to me when I was a teen).
Mimi wrote:
Really? We’ve never had one fail and we had them up for years at the flat, so maybe it is a difference of wall finishes

Could just be that I didn't clean the walls (or the surface of the frame) properly, but every picture I've hung up in our house using command strips fell off within 2 years.
Bought a robot vacuum. Thought it would be a good idea to have it clean at 2am. This wasn't a good idea.
Some water bottles.
Nice! Gotta love Incredibly Big Containers!
Sir Taxalot wrote:
I'm going to get a second hand (it looks barely worn) G-Shock mudmaster off someone local - as long as it looks legit. Apparently there are many knock offs of this model.

It doesn't feel as big as it looks - I'm rather pleased with it.

It's the perfect watch for my office based job and sedate action-free lifestyle. And at 230 bucks, I paid a fair bit less than retail.
Love a big watch ;o) I do wonder if I’ll ever own one of the ana;digi g-shocks at some stage…

I own six diving watches
Another Japanese knife. Tog Mini Bunka

Impressed with this. It’s a really handy size at 14cm and could legitimately be the only knife you’d use most of the time
Tried these in the Apple Shrine about five weeks ago and was so impressed with the sound quality I ordered a pair a couple of weeks later. They’re a little pricey to be an impulse purchase. Music sounds impressive with them, but holy hell the spatial audio voodoo shit it pulls with Apple TV is just sensational
DBSnappa wrote:
Another Japanese knife. Tog Mini Bunka

Impressed with this. It’s a really handy size at 14cm and could legitimately be the only knife you’d use most of the time

I have a similar sized knife that I don't remember buying. Apart from cutting bread, it's the only kitchen knife I use
DBSnappa wrote:
Love a big watch ;o) I do wonder if I’ll ever own one of the ana;digi g-shocks at some stage…

I own six diving watches

The inverted/negative LCD display on this one looks nice when the conditions are ideal but the readability in poor lighting is pretty bad, and the screens are completely untouched by the crappy illuminator light making them useless in the dark. then again, I can't see why I'd be needing any of the functions that the screens provide when it's dark, so possibly it doesn't really matter.
Also, i am coming from a few years of smart watch usage, where the screen was so bright it could be used as a torch if required
Because of this:
Sir Taxalot wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:

I own six diving watches

The inverted/negative LCD display on this one looks nice when the conditions are ideal but the readability in poor lighting is pretty bad, and the screens are completely untouched by the crappy illuminator light making them useless in the dark. then again, I can't see why I'd be needing any of the functions that the screens provide when it's dark, so possibly it doesn't really matter.
Also, i am coming from a few years of smart watch usage, where the screen was so bright it could be used as a torch if required

I genuinely don’t know why Casio do that inverted LCD stuff. My brother had a Casio watch where the entire digital face was unreadable in anything other than bright light.
I've bought a Surface Pro 9. For work. Yes, for work.
GazChap wrote:
I've bought a Surface Pro 9. For work. Yes, for work.

Interested to know what the standby battery life is like. I got the Surface Go a few years ago and it basically needed to be charged everyday, even if I didn't use it. I was hoping for an iPad level of standby, for a device I could chuck in my rucksack for the week and forget about until I needed it. The Surface Go was not that device.
Attachment:
Araldite.jpg
I hate young people being happy.
Also, the little shop sells them for £5.99 a pop, so that makes gross profit for me of £11.22 if I price match.

Which I won't, as I could buy up the remaining little shop stock at £5.99 and then resell all at £7.99.
By having all three together it becomes glaring that the Red and Blue variants have artificial colouring.

Surprising not a single person
But who are you selling them to?
People that sell them for £8.99
Make some illicit alcopops and sell for £15
MaliA wrote:
People that sell them for £8.99

They look like someone poured those cup drinks into a bottle. Let us know what they taste like.
Man, I remember when the coca-cola / fanta / sprite yoyos were the school fad we all went for. Before that it was TMNT trading cards (the ones that came with the yucky bubblegum) and after that it became those long Umbro jackets, and then record-bags.
The sales are on while Watches and Wonders took place in Geneva last week and I caved and bought this, which I’ve been ogling for a long time. Seiko SLA042J1 Affectionately known as a Tuna as it resembles a Tuna can. It’s very large, very light (titanium monocoque construction and shroud) and I think it’s gorgeous
Forgot to add a front on shot!
I'm still not fully convinced I can see the resemblance to a can of tuna, but it's a nice watch. I like the contrast of the black and gold.
The year is 2023 and I've bought not just one, but two brand new Dreamcast games.
HDMI 2.0 to DisplayPort cables are available and reasonably priced, meaning I should be able to plug an Xbox (probably my One X) into the 4k monitor in my home office (COVID got in the way of it being a proper man cave) at last! (It can only do 4k@60 through DisplayPort). If this works then I need to try adding an audio breakout box to get sound to the desk speakers instead of the monitor's poor ones (bracketsbracketsbrackets)
This is an entertaining rabbit hole.

Now I've got a displayport switcher and a usb switcher too.
It's a bit late now, but a KVM can have all that in one box.
Yes but no. The cable/Xbox bit is for one displayport socket, everything else is for the other.

I had a good reason to separate kbd/mouse from video for everything else and I cannot for the life of me remember what it was now 24 hours have passed.
Toaster!

Doesn't have DisplayPort *or* HDMI sockets! Pfh.
That action shot was during its first "burn the oil off the elements" run, so no real idea yet. Part of the reason for it is that it matches the kettle.

All four slots work though, unlike the old one. 20 years or thereabouts, reasonable innings.
Next piece has arrived, a 6 port USB charger (which can put out 2A on all ports simultaneously, unlike a lot of them), shown here powering the cable to update my (filthy) Xbox one X in glorious 4k!

(And the other two bits work as well, woo! No photo of that proof-of-function though, it's a hell of a mess :D)
Photo storage boxes to organise packets of garden seed.
They’re really handy. I use them for little craft bits, too.
Two pistachio trees and two pomegranate trees, and a pink blueberry bush, to expand the collection of increasingly improbable fruit trees growing in our garden.

Technically, it’s four rather than two pistachio trees as they are planted two abreast, male and female.

I will give a pistachio pair and a pomegranate to my mother, though.

Next year I might get a kiwi and a peach.
Awesome!

You may need another blueberry if you haven't already got one, most (all?) need to be cross-pollinated.
Page 72 of 79 [ 3950 posts ]