What have you bought?
Don’t say it, display it
Bosch!!! I've bought a hammer drill to be given to me for Christmas.

I wouldn't have bothered, but having recently done an electrical safety course, I'm having doubts about the ancient Black and Decker I inherited from my father a in-law.

Attachment:
F296536B-1076-432B-9CE0-46DD0F5B2F4E.jpeg
I don't see it. Is it very small?
An Alexa Dobot and four Tile Jeyrings for (I thought) a good price.
Grim... wrote:
I don't see it. Is it very small?

Just the usual size.
Given how much I have fallen in love with mine I got one for Mum after giving her a demo over the phone. I think it was the "Alexa, play me country music" part that got her all giddy with excitement.

Got extra presents for my brother and sister in law, given they're hosting Christmas.

And this for my sis.

I then realised my mother likes spending time in her kitchen preparing stuff etc. So I got her this so she can instruct it to play country music lol

Finally I bought something for myself. Something I didn't really want, or need, but it was so cheap (£79) I couldn't resist. I found it last night and thought about ordering one in white. Typical I get up after sleeping on it and the white one is now £249.

So I grabbed the black one. I will more than likely use it in my man cave.

Ordered my first contract mobile phone in more than 20 years. Last year’s iPhone XS, but handset and 2 years rental for £770 isn’t bad.
I’ve been enjoying this!

I even tell it “I’m home” and it plays Big Booty Hoes and tells me the weather.
Tell it "I'm feeling lucky".
“Your first subject is sport”
“Hey google, Stop.”
*stares*
Don't ask her if she takes it up the bum.

I thought I broke mine the screen went red for ages.

She does a mean fart though.

Oh crap I meant Alexa lol.
I've bought a Ms. Pac-man machine to go with my Pac-man machine.

It's great!
Very nice :)

I had a Data East Pixel Player delivered today to go with my Pac-Man one.

Attachment:
IMG_20191213_144616.jpg
I have that Pac-man one (natch...) but I saw that there's a Bubble Bobble/Rainbow Islands one being released soon. I like the looks of that!
They'd both need to be two player though, ideally.
Attachment:
0AD42BC0-AE00-4C44-B258-01933ABC6235.jpeg

Love the way it’s a completely different shape and size to the early years set. Much like the band, I guess.
I’ve had taped copies of all but one of these albums for years, the first one being released in 1975. The one I didn’t have on tape (Please Don’t Touch) was one I actually bought on CD. But the tapes are all in the loft and haven’t been converted to digital, so I haven’t played them for years. I’ve got most of his more recent work on CD, but still feel that these early ones are his best. Seeing a set of five for just over a tenner, I thought it was time to pay for what I’ve previously enjoyed for free. The one at the bottom wasn’t in the box set, but I had to have it to complete the group I had on tape.

Attachment:
5C848643-B479-4854-ADCF-3C91BE480277.jpeg
When you say 'tape', what do you actually mean? Genuine question, because I think that word means different things to different generations and certainly nothing you've shown there would be my definition. Asking out of genuine interest. :-)
He had them all on tapes and now he's got the CDs was how I read it.
I meant I had them on audio cassette tapes, that I recorded from the originals on vinyl, usualy borrowed from friends, despite the warning that 'Home taping is killing music.'. I still have a (barely operational) twin casette deck, a Sony Walkman and around a two hundred tapes in the loft. When I was still buying vinyl records I'd immediately copy them to tape to preserve the vinyl originals and only play the LPs again if a tape copy got damaged

I understand why you asked the question, for even now people of my age tend to say we've 'taped' a TV programme, when in actuallity we've recorded it on a hard disk recorder of some sort, or even on an SSD. We referred to taping when we first got CD/DVD recorders as well, after that period of recording on audio cassette and VHS video.

The first recordings I ever made were on a Grundig reel-to-reel tape recorder, usually from Pick Of The Pops on the BBC Light Programme on Sunday afternoons. These were recorded through a microphone as none of our radios had a 'line out' socket in those days, so there was often background noise on the tapes. This was well before tape cassettes came on the scene. I remember the first time I saw a Sony Walkman cassette player. One of my colleagues brought it in to the office and the idea of being to have two albums on a single tape, that I could listen to anywhere, was a real revelation. It still amazes me that we've gone from reel-to-reel to personal recorders in such a relatively short time.
My parents still say they’ve “taped” a programme when they’ve recorded something on TiVo. I am amoosed.
Satsuma wrote:
My parents still say they’ve “taped” a programme when they’ve recorded something on TiVo. I am amoosed.

:DD Q.E.D.
Satsuma wrote:

"Recorded" is just as wrong.
Hmm. "Made a record of"? I think that's still okay
It’s not wrong at all.
Young'uns say "saving", which strikes me as closer to what's actually happening.
Grim... wrote:
Young'uns say "saving", which strikes me as closer to what's actually happening.

I'm not convinced. Saving, to me, means more like making a near instantaneous dump copy of whatever you're talking about. In the case of TIVOing something your copy is being stream-recorded onto the hard drive in real time, so exactly the same way as happened when recording onto a VHS or audio cassette just with a different medium holding the result.
It has been pinged to the box.
It's doing that constantly on a TiVo box though, right? When you press the button it does whatever it does internally to make sure it doesn't get deleted. I'm fairly comfortable with that being called "saving".
Someone set Trooper on fire.
Grim... wrote:
It's doing that constantly on a TiVo box though, right? When you press the button it does whatever it does internally to make sure it doesn't get deleted. I'm fairly comfortable with that being called "saving".

I suspect that no term exists specifically for that process. Maybe 'TiVoing' is what it ought to be.

And we'd better not get started on 'Get a series link.' That implies that availing yourself of one episode or programme is a single link.

Hmmmmmmm...... availing .........
Grim... wrote:

Wait, why would it be doing that? And across every single channel that's available? How much disc space would that take up?

The only time I can think it would be doing something like that would be if you use the 'pause live TV' thing at which point it's going to start constantly buffering up content for the period of time you paused. But that's a specific use case and you're unlikely to be recording the channel you're watching live so I'm not even sure it's all that relevant.
It always records whatever channel you are on, for as long as you are on that channel (to some time limit, maybe 3 hours or something).
The current channel and the last channel, as long as nothing else is being taped ;) Time limit depends on if you're watching in HD, I think.
Another watch. Christopher Ward C7
Pretty.

That strap might get a bit pongy when it's absorbed yourc secretions.
What a ball ache, having the decorators in. Having a 60 litre fish tank to move is a good reason for just painting around it. Or just leaving it as it is, it was only decorated five years ago........ or was it nine?
Warhead wrote:
What a ball ache, having the decorators in.

:hat:
Warhead wrote:
Pretty.

That strap might get a bit pongy when it's absorbed yourc secretions.

I’ve got quite a few watches so that will delay the inevitable.....
Grim... wrote:
Warhead wrote:
What a ball ache, having the decorators in.

:hat:

I think you're getting mixed up with having the painters in. ;)

i posted this in the wrong thread, really. Should have been in 1st World Problems.
Stüffe since last image splonk.

Attachment:
tomwarr.jpg

Celtic Frost/Hellhammer autobiog.

Attachment:
dedsea.jpg

The Dead Sea zine anthology hardback.

Attachment:
drac.jpg

Leatherbound Bram Stoker story and novel anthology.

Attachment:
elvira2.jpg

Elvira 2 Amiga!

Attachment:
cdees.jpg

CDs! Remember them?!

Attachment:
bloooo.jpg

Arrow collector edition Bhloo Rhas.

Attachment:
impar12.jpg

Imperial Armour 12! I've finally completed my collection!

Attachment:
valdor.jpg

Valdor: Birth of the Imperium ltd edition novella.

Attachment:
lost.jpg

Lost And the Damned. At last. A thirty year quest for this finally ended with the reprint.
I'm now sniffing around for a copy of The Lost and the Damned...

Giphy "curse you!":
https://media1.giphy.com/media/1yTeImyENR5358bc4C/giphy-loop.mp4
Zardoz wrote:
I'm now sniffing around for a copy of The Lost and the Damned...

Giphy "curse you!":
https://media1.giphy.com/media/xULW8oFAShgv42FcUE/giphy-loop.mp4

£35 if you can persuade someone to go to Warhammer World for you.
Couldn’t resist!
Zardoz wrote:
Couldn’t resist!

You play Gaslands or something?
Went to the running show. Got quite a good discount on these.

They should help with the boredom of my long runs.
Not seen those ones. I’ve got the Trekz Air.
Zardoz wrote:
Couldn’t resist!

I nearly bought some yesterday purely because one of them was the Shinobi one, but then I'd end up getting the other four in the series: Jet Set Radio, Space Channel 5, Super Monkey Ball and House of the Dead. Probably still will at some point though.
Page 22 of 79 [ 3927 posts ]