Anime
Was "Play's Anime Sale"
http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/3-/141435/2 ... dpr=141435

Any diamonds in that bunch of rough? Neither Appleseed 2 or GitS 3 are in the list, damnit.
Samurai Champloo is supposed to be brilliant, I haven't seen it. But it's by the same people who did Cowboy Bebop, which is excellent.
Hmm, out of those I have seen (in approximate order of preference):

Berserk
Serial Experiments Lain
Trigun
R.O.D.
Love Hina (ahem)

with Samurai Champloo and Texhnolyze in my never-got-round-to-watching pile.

I can't imagine spending £60 to own a full series of any of those, but Berserk comes closest to being worth it (watch out for the ending though).

Edit - I didn't notice they were buy one get one free, that makes things a bit more reasonable - although it looks like only the first three volumes of Berserk are included in the offer.
I second Trigun. Love Hina is nice too.

I still can't believe the RRP on Anime. Even at BOGOF it's still quite expensive for what you get.
Stuff like this or this is a bit more reasonable though.
Sure are. Got them, though. Thanks for the ideas, guys.

Are Beserk and Trigun shooty-shooty or thinky-thinky?
Trigun is chaotic calamity ha ha shooty shooty.
Berserk is slashy-slashy then descends into wtfy-wtfy.
This is the only thread we have about Anime. Odd.

Anyhow: Someone (a year or so ago) suggested that I should watch Generator Gawl. I've watched the first two episodes, and I've got one question: Does it get any better? ?:|
Also: Is there any cool new "PEW PEW" anime films out?
Not watched any decent Anime for ages.
Last thing I watched was Tokyo Godfathers - Good but no PEW PEW, plenty of tramps and cross dressing though.
I think the only kinda of Anime I have watched is 'Battle of the Planets'
Ghost in the Shell was good. Some pew pew. Nothing I've ever seen has lived up to Akira, though.
I like Urusei Yatsura. There's a lot of it, and it's a bit impenetrable, though.
Mr Chris wrote:
Ghost in the Shell was good. Some pew pew. Nothing I've ever seen has lived up to Akira, though.

Watch:
My Neighbour Totoro
Spirited Away
Castle in the Sky

Then come back and tell us they aren't some of the best films ever made, and I will call you a big silly man to your avatar.
And Princess Mononoke too!
Can't wait till Baba Z is a little bit older and I can watch all these again with her.
Princess Mononoke was too violent and not enough whimsy for my Miyazaki palette.
Also: I blarted like a massive big cunt at Grave of The Fireflies.
The clacky headed forrest spirits not whimsey enough for yers!?1

It is a little more violent though.
Dimrill wrote:
Also: I blarted like a massive big cunt at Grave of The Fireflies.

Oooh, still got that in shrink wrap.
Are you sure you're not me?
I've still got Pom Poko and Howl's Moving Castle in shrink wrap to watch. REALLY must get around to watching them.
Howls Moving Castle is good, not the bestest, but still lovely.
I'd say howls... is the worst miyazaki film I've seen, still watchable though. But yes totoro is super excellent.

Is pom poko the one about the pig?
No, that's Porco Rosso. Pom Poko is a Ghibli film, but it's directed by "the other half" of the company Isao Takahata.
ah thats right, have you seen barefoot gen dimrill? similar stuff to grave of the fireflies.
Ooh, no I haven't. I'll keep a rotting eye out for that.
Dimrill wrote:
Also: I blarted.

Uh - is that farting blood?
Brumingum crying. For fuck's sake man, I thought you lived in Brum for a while. Next you'll be telling me you don't know how to pronounce Quarry Bank.
I lived there for three years. I spent them all in my ivory (red-brick) tower strenuously resisting the miasma of corruption that hung about the city.
Fucking Gloucestershire shitbags coming up here eating our German food.
I think I can remember seeing:

Bubblegum Crisis (classic, Nene is teh hawt, loads of episodes)
Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Macross 2
Grappler Baki (the world's most brutal and ridiculous karate championship)
Judge (by day, nerd... by night, he punishes bad people)
Patlabor 2
Dominion Tank Police
Lupin 3: Mystery of Mamo
several Dirty Pair episodes
Wings of Honnaemise (alternate history space program... very interesting)
Burn Up
Plastic Little (mmmm, nipples)
Lensman!
Legend of Lemnear (more Satoshi Urushihara nippleage)
Vampire Hunter D

I'm sure there's loads more I've forgotten.

The best anime ever is obviously Jiburiru: The Devil Angel.
Wings of Honnaemise is awesome also.
Davydd Grimm wrote:
There's a lot of it, and it's a bit impenetrable, though.

I guess that two Dawn French jokes in one day would be a bit much.
Has no-one mentioned Urotsukidoji yet?
Or La Blue Girl? Pah. The animation in those is appalling by today's standards.
Dimrill wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:

Watch:
My Neighbour Totoro
Spirited Away
Castle in the Sky

Then come back and tell us they aren't some of the best films ever made, and I will call you a big silly man to your avatar.

Do any of them have futuristic pew pew? Or even the more common "schoolgirls being violated by giant multi-cocked demons"? No. They have twee. So they can fuck off, and then fuck off some more.
GiTS 2 is good, GiTS3 is in my pile of 'stuff to watch', as is Appleseed 2. I am still waiting for a DVD release of Battle Angel Alita (or Gunnm), which was one of my favorites. It'll come out as soon as Mr Cameron makes it into a 'real' film (if he ever does).
Mr Chris wrote:
Do any of them have futuristic pew pew? Or even the more common "schoolgirls being violated by giant multi-cocked demons"? No. They have twee. So they can fuck off, and then fuck off some more.

Jiburiru, man.
Dimrill wrote:

No
Zardoz wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

No

I have indirectly. Great stuff, that.

Most disappointing one I've watched was "Blood of the Vampire", or something, which started brilliantly but turned out to be a disappointing 35 minutes long. Bastards.
Sounds like Vampire Hunter D, which is a great film.
No, I totally mean "Blood: The Last Vampire".
Actually, so did I :D
Heh!

It's also 85 minutes long. But it felt like 35.
It's the one where she goes "SWORD!" at the end, right?
This was, like, 10 years ago, so all I can remember is that she was at a girl's school by a US air base, and she et people.
Roujin Z. Awesome ending, that. Giant mecha grandad in electric bed FTW.
You have a lot of stuff I want to see by the sounds of it Dimmers. You should consider making off site backups of them in case of fire or pig flu. I could store them in my copied DVD wallet,.
Page 1 of 3 [ 104 posts ]