Netflix
Hearthly wrote:
Fuck me I give up on THE PUNISHER Season 2.

Just about everything that made Season 1 interesting and cool has been gutted out, and we're left with a semi-soap opera containing occasional bouts of violence.

It's not so much its typical Netflix slowness, (I can sort of deal with that), but this is just poor.

The cast are giving it their best, but even John Bernthal can't rescue this one.

If anyone makes it beyond Episode 4 and it suddenly gets really good, please let me know and I'll maybe give it another go.

I'm up to Episode 5, I feel your pain. Not a patch so far on season 1 :'( The violence is still superb though.
The brand new (2019) Ted Bundy tapes. It's another big watch like The Staircase, but bloody hell it was worth it. What a sick, twisted individual. Fantastic watching, and a big insight into how much the world has changed since the 70s. 9.9/10 for me.
Zardoz wrote:
I'm up to Episode 5, I feel your pain. Not a patch so far on season 1 :'( The violence is still superb though.

The violence is going A-Team :'(
Friends from College is really good.
It starts off with some of the most overused storylines you've ever seen (for example; one person asks another to look after her rabbit. What do you think happens? And then what do you think happens?), but crashes them all together in glorious ways, and has geniunly funny moments.

Fred Savage is in it and he's excellent, and Keegan-Michael Key is also pretty great (although I like him anyway, so YMMV).
Zardoz wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

The violence is going A-Team :'(

Oooh, a good episode last night! C'mon Frank!
Also, importantly, Coby Smulders.
Not just important, vital.
The Crips/Bloods docu voiced by Forest Whitaker.

Was fantastic. Well worth checking out if you watched LA92.
Last 3 episodes of The Punisher Season 2 were much better.
Watched the first one of Nightflyer, was pretty good actually, had an Event Horizon feel to it. Supposedly based on a George R R Martin story, so hopefully it has an end...
Zardoz wrote:
Last 3 episodes of The Punisher Season 2 were much better.

I might just watch them then, and skip the middle ones, using the Wiki plot summary to get myself up to speed. Let's face it, the glacial pace at which Netflix move their stories along means that each episode can probably be adequately summarised in a single sentence.
Having watched 5/8ths of it over the weekend, I am comfortable recommending Russian Doll.

Quote:
Russian Doll follows "a young woman named Nadia on her journey as the guest of honor at a seemingly inescapable party one night in New York City. She dies repeatedly while at this party and she is just trying to figure out what the hell is going on."

Despite existing in the looming shadow of Groundhog Day, this show is very much its own thing, restless and innovative and endless re-inventing itself. Funny one second, sad the next. Also a great example of Natasha Lyonne's varied talents (you might know her as Nicky from Orange Is The New Black); in addition to a fantastic performance as the spiky, takes-no-shit, all-the-moxie lead character, she co-created the show, co-wrote it, and directed one episode.
Watched the first last night, really liked it
Finished it last night and really enjoyed it - the first 2 episodes are okay but the end of the 3rd episode for me was when things changed and it became more interesting.

Recommended.
Any one seen the Lizzie Borden Chronicles?

Was about to start watching last night, then realised my clock has dead batteries and it was 2 hours later than I thought.
Trooper wrote:
Watched the first one of Nightflyer, was pretty good actually, had an Event Horizon feel to it. Supposedly based on a George R R Martin story, so hopefully it has an end...

I'm up to episode 8. I'm enjoying it, although I guess it has an end as the very first scene kinda built up to that.
Velvet Buzzsaw is out, and looks brilliant.
I'll take "trailers that take a sharp left turn" for 500 please, Alex.

Grim... wrote:
Velvet Buzzsaw is out, and looks brilliant.

It was out last week. I thought it was only ok though.
I enjoyed Velvet Buzzsaw but it was very much a film of two halves; yer fashion industry satire up front and then full on gory horror film.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Having watched 5/8ths of it over the weekend, I am comfortable recommending Russian Doll.

Quote:
Russian Doll follows "a young woman named Nadia on her journey as the guest of honor at a seemingly inescapable party one night in New York City. She dies repeatedly while at this party and she is just trying to figure out what the hell is going on."

Despite existing in the looming shadow of Groundhog Day, this show is very much its own thing, restless and innovative and endless re-inventing itself. Funny one second, sad the next. Also a great example of Natasha Lyonne's varied talents (you might know her as Nicky from Orange Is The New Black); in addition to a fantastic performance as the spiky, takes-no-shit, all-the-moxie lead character, she co-created the show, co-wrote it, and directed one episode.

Watched all of this, this weekend. Thoroughly enjoyable, and only 8, 26 minute episodes, so not a long haul time investment.

Watched the end of it and went and read a few discussions about it, with lots of people saying you need to watch it twice as loads of things happen that you don't notice, and how the last episode needs explaining etc... Thought to myself, what the fuck did I miss as it all seemed pretty well signposted and explained throughout. Went and read the explanations and it's really not that complex and you don't miss anything. If you've ever seen anything time travel/groundhog before, then you will know what is going on, and it's all the better for making sense and being explainable within its own universe if you have at least a couple of brain cells.
Watched every episode of Russian Doll back to back. Excellent stuff.
I'm up to 5, I think.

It's getting better.
What the shit it's the girl from American Pie!
No, really? The one who’s hardly changed and is instantly recognisable by her face and her voice?
We just watched the first five episodes back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back. Excellent TV and the cast is brilliant!
Zardoz wrote:
No, really? The one who’s hardly changed and is instantly recognisable by her face and her voice?

Not that one.
Grim... wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

Not that one.

Which one?
Trooper wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

Not that one.

Which one?

The other one.
We also watched the first five back to back. Also thought it was excellent.
Currently watchng Fyra. Amazone doc About the festival
Finished Russian Doll. We all loved it. The Harry Nillsen track at the reset is new to me and now straight in my top 25 musics.
I also finished it.

I thought it was all right, but I didn't like it as much as everyone else, it seems.

I agree with the Troop man about it not really being complicated.

Girl can act for sure, though.
Grim... wrote:
Girl can act for sure, though.

Someone on Twitter said that after than, they wanted to see her play Colombo. And I cannot disagree.
I can totally hear her saying "Juuuuuust one more thing" :)
Grim... wrote:
I can totally hear her saying "Juuuuuust one more thing" :)

Right? Plus she has the hand gestures nailed.
I consider myself a Columbo afficianado as I’ve watched the box set back to back several times. Though nobody could live up to the great Peter Falk I’d still watch the heck out of that.
Mimi wrote:
I consider myself a Columbo afficianado as I’ve watched the box set back to back several times. Though nobody could live up to the great Peter Falk I’d still watch the heck out of that.

Noone can be angry at Falk
Binged all of Russian Doll over the past two nights.

Great stuff, Natasha is amazing, and I totally agree about Columbo.
Curiosity wrote:
Binged all of Russian Doll over the past two nights.

Great stuff, Natasha is amazing, and I totally agree about Columbo.

I'm confused by how this post doesn't have forty seven images in it.
I started watching Russian Doll the other night. Enjoying it so far.

We've recently just finished watching 'You'. It was alright but, there were a couple of massive plot holes towards the end. Normally I'd be able to look past these for the enjoyment of the series but in this case, they were so glaringly obvious that I couldn't look past them. Annoying. It was going so well as well.
TheVision wrote:
I started watching Russian Doll the other night. Enjoying it so far.

We've recently just finished watching 'You'. It was alright but, there were a couple of massive plot holes towards the end. Normally I'd be able to look past these for the enjoyment of the series but in this case, they were so glaringly obvious that I couldn't look past them. Annoying. It was going so well as well.

We watched 4 or 5 then just forgot all about it...
Really good series, the ending was a little strange but not a bad show at all.
Ghost Stories is excellent.
That 'AFTER LIFE' is very good. I'm not generally much of a Ricky Gervais fan, but I found this very moving and funny. Did four of the six episodes last night (they're less than 30 minutes), will do the last two tonight.
The new Gervais thing is surprisingly sensitive
Page 8 of 16 [ 778 posts ]