General Purpose Forrin TV Thread
Warning: subtitles
I have obviously missed everyone saying how great it is as I don’t think I’ve seen it mentioned anywhere apart from here :D
Mimi wrote:
Grim... wrote:
The latter. If it was the former they probably shouldn't go looking for more stuff like it.

I wasn’t sure if you meant in a ‘well, if they thought that was bad then they should should see some of this stuff!’ kind of way.

Not anime, but it reminded me of what I remember of Battle Royale. I guess you found say Hunger Games too, but the psychology seemed closer to the ideas in Battle Royale.

I probably need a rewatch, but I didn't think much of Battle Royale at all at the time.
I remember really enjoying it, but it must be about twenty years ago that I watched it now, so maybe if I watched it with modern eyes I might feel differently. I shall have to see if it is streaming anywhere for a re-watch.
Think I saw it on IMDB channel FREE! If you have Prime tv
I do have Prime. I haven’t heard of IMDB as a streaming service before so will check it out, thanks :)
Yeah it's a new one, I think, I hadn't noticed it before. Looks like they add in a few 'ad breaks' to fund it. Old school!
MaliA wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Grim... wrote:
The latter. If it was the former they probably shouldn't go looking for more stuff like it.

I wasn’t sure if you meant in a ‘well, if they thought that was bad then they should should see some of this stuff!’ kind of way.

Not anime, but it reminded me of what I remember of Battle Royale. I guess you found say Hunger Games too, but the psychology seemed closer to the ideas in Battle Royale.

I probably need a rewatch, but I didn't think much of Battle Royale at all at the time.

I rewatched it today as I’m not feeling too good and so put it on, and I think it still stands up to what I remember, and it’s a good film. The lead-in doesn’t seem to make much sense (it’s an annual ‘competition’, seemingly held by the Government, yet none of the kids seem to have ever heard of it and the whole thing just happens to be overseen by their old teacher), but I think the students’ characters are developed enough in their individual motivations and way they deal with the situation. I still think it’s a great film.

IMDB Movies is odd. There are very short ad breaks, but it’s like they’ve been put in at random, in the very middle of scenes. It would get I. The way if you were watching something where you had to give it some concentration.
SWAT's back (but in Mexico)! The Rookie's back! And The Expanse will be back in December! Which is the perfect reason for this picture, a boat I spotted in Kirkwall, Orkney.

Attachment:
IMG_20211002_102539.jpg
Shouldn’t most of those be in the US Tv thread?

Into The Night on Netflix is an interesting fairly short series. It’s not really Sci-fi, but is a prequel to a very Sci-fi book, The Old Axolotl.
Two seasons available, and a third on the way.
Beforeigners is back on “the internet” and it’s still brilliant.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8332130/
I have been watching Taskmaster on Youtube...Norwegian Taskmaster...my inner 5 year old finds the Norwegian language amusing.
Physical 100 on Netflix is awesome. 100 mostly Korean contestants competing in something that’s a cross between Gladiators and Squid Game.
https://www.whattowatch.com/features/ph ... -game-show

The dubbed dialogue is abysmal but it’s so much fun, and they are all *so* fit.
We’ve been watching that, too. Some excellent pairings in episodes 2 and 3. I like that there’s room for a bit of psychology thrown in. Also, everyone (apart from a couple of outliers) is SO respectful and appreciative of each other.
Mimi wrote:
We’ve been watching that, too. Some excellent pairings in episodes 2 and 3. I like that there’s room for a bit of psychology thrown in. Also, everyone (apart from a couple of outliers) is SO respectful and appreciative of each other.

Yes, it’s very interesting getting a feel for their culture. Some understandable similarities with Japan but also very much its own thing. There seems to be a lot of awareness of people in completely different fields, and as you say they are all very respectful.

Before the matches they play up to the camera a bit with comments on how they’ll crush their opponent, but the second it’s over they are all smiles.

I can see this going one of two ways… it could turn into a franchise with other countries doing their own version, or they might end up with more foreigners wanting to challenge the Korean folk.

Another one we’re enjoying watching is Lego Masters Australia which is better than the US one.
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Yes, it’s very interesting getting a feel for their culture. Some understandable similarities with Japan but also very much its own thing. There seems to be a lot of awareness of people in completely different fields, and as you say they are all very respectful.

Before the matches they play up to the camera a bit with comments on how they’ll crush their opponent, but the second it’s over they are all smiles.

I can see this going one of two ways… it could turn into a franchise with other countries doing their own version, or they might end up with more foreigners wanting to challenge the Korean folk.

Another one we’re enjoying watching is Lego Masters Australia which is better than the US one.

Is it suitable for kids? The Korean 100 thing?
I think there may be the occasional curse word that gets translated, but the actual content of the games (up to episode 4 at least) is fine. It’s styled to be very much like Squid Games, but it’s really just a rock hard Gladiators or similar.
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

Hamish Blake is very charming and amusing, I like him.
Mimi wrote:
I think there may be the occasional curse word that gets translated, but the actual content of the games (up to episode 4 at least) is fine. It’s styled to be very much like Squid Games, but it’s really just a rock hard Gladiators or similar.

they're fine with the odd curse. Sounds like it could be a winner, thank you.

edit: festive watching of Traitors has basically turned the six-year-old into an F-bomb machine gun, so that ship has sailed.
:D

We’re lucky to have escaped that so far with the seven year old. We have sailed close, though. I once was in a rage and referred to some workman close by (not to them, but to Russell, we were in the car), but it was a strange word and half mumbled. Bean did refer to workmen as ‘hucking builders’ for a couple of weeks, though.

:s
We were in a field watching Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls and every other word was "Fuck" and it washed right over BigOne. It was glorious and they broke the buggy thing my pogoing to him.

But she did ask "What does 'Fuck the tories' mean?" as she read the Xmas tree decorations.
Findus Fop wrote:

Yes, absolutely, though they might get a little bored during the first episode as they spend a long time introducing many of the contestants which can get a bit same-y
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

Yes, absolutely, though they might get a little bored during the first episode as they spend a long time introducing many of the contestants which can get a bit same-y

Cheers, might swerve ep 1.
Findus Fop wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

It has an excellent first challenge in it, so you need to watch that. Just skip some of the intros before you get to it if they start to drag.
Findus Fop wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

Don’t skip it entirely, just fast forward it through the first half hour or so. I think the initial challenge starts half way through the episode and sets both the tone and some of the basis of the reverence between contestants.
We finished watching Dark yesterday.

I really enjoyed it, but I found that after the final series I still had a lot of stuff left unanswered, and the last two episodes felt really rushed, like they thought they’d be getting 4-5 episodes to lay everything out and wrap up loose ends, but then got that cut to two and just sort of bunged everything in there.

Also:
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Could not wrap my head around the Charlotte > Elizabeth > Charlotte > Elizabeth relationship. I couldn’t understand d how Charlotte’s daughter was also her mother, and no matter how many ways I tried to process this it just led to my brain shifting out.

Also, why was Jonas so disfigured? Apparently travelling takes a physical toll on everyone, fine, but whilst he looked like all his skin had been melted off, others who travelled far, far more than him just had a bit of grey hair.
I'm really not one for reality TV but I am currently enjoying Siren: Survive the Island on netflix....teams from the Army, Police, Firefighters, Bodyguards and stunt women take on challenges on a remote island. Good TV to have on in the back ground and excellent if you want to watch Korean ladies beating the hell out of one another.
Takeshi's Castle has been rebooted and is available on Amazon, no Craig Charles with Romesh Ranganathan taking over and they show the whole episode rather than edited ones...watched 10 mins of the first episode and yep, that's Takeshi's Castle.
Ragnarok (Netflix) is quite good, we are enjoying it. Nice scenery. I don't have much to say really, but I think it's good.

It's dubbed into English, and I find that disconnect between mouth movements and audio makes me get tired quite quickly (also, possibly due to the fact we never seem to settle down to watch a bit of telly until quite late in the evening).
Netflix shows usually have the option to view in the original language with subtitles, in the playback settings.
I've preferred the original audio track with subs for anything foreign we've watched. Not only is it less jarring than the mismatched audio, it forces me to properly pay attention rather than get distracted.
Thanks - I didn't think of it but I'll try that. I don't mind a bit of subtitles but I have a feeling Lady T doesn't like reading them.

The scenery and cinematography in Ragnarok is really great, I know I posted that before but its worth repeating.

We're about halfway through S2 now and the story is picking up nicely.
I have finally finished all 5 seasons of the 'The Rookie'. I like the mix of over the top drama and humour. It is very easy to watch, you can slip your brain in neutral, and chuckle along.

Now to tackle more on my watch list.
I guess it counts as foreign...
Is there a US thread? :)
Mr Inbetween on Disney plus is the best thing we've watched in absolutely ages.
markg wrote:

Agree, first season is a bit all over the place in terms of tone and production, but after that it really gets great. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Can't say I noticed that, we were all in after the first episode.
Glitch is pretty decent on Netflix. About an Australian policeman (the bar owner from Colin from Accounts) dealing with the dead who have come back to life.
markg wrote:

This. Absolutely love the main character. And it was pretty much his first acting gig, and he wrote it too. Such a brilliant face and delivery.
Faultless slice of telly, Mr Inbetween. Loved everything about it.
Bonus Anne from Neighbours too.
Findus Fop wrote:

Oh! That's where I recognised her from. Thank you, that was tickling my brain.
Findus Fop wrote:

Really? Wasn’t she about 80 years old in the 1980s?
Mimi wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

Really? Wasn’t she about 80 years old in the 1980s?

I think you're thinking of Helen Daniels
Oh, yes I was!
Mimi wrote:
Oh, yes I was!

Funnily enough, she appears very frequently in an image search for "Anne from neighbours", so something links them in the hive mind. She's also only just in the low 80s now.
The actor’s real life name was Ann Haddy, according to Wikipedia. She was born in 1930, so would be about 93 if she was alive today. Still younger than I’d have thought, but looking at her she appeared in the show younger than I remember (probably because as a young kid everyone over the age of 30 is ancient).
Oh yes! I was getting confused with Madge - Helen Daniels does appear in the pics, but Madge does too. I think I've blurred them together. Madge I looked up (Anne Charleston, b. 1942).
Sir Taxalot wrote:
The scenery and cinematography in Ragnarok is really great, I know I posted that before but its worth repeating.

We watched the final ep of the show last night, it all wrapped up in 3 reasonably short series (6 eps each series, I think). Lady T found the ending really satisfying, I found it quite interesting and have been thinking about it this morning, so clearly it made an impact rather than being instantly forgotten.

Now we need to find a new thing to watch. I have to say I find something with many seasons to be a bit off putting and almost daunting, like when we see an 8-series show it feels like a big time commitment.
Sir Taxalot wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:

We watched the final ep of the show last night, it all wrapped up in 3 reasonably short series (6 eps each series, I think). Lady T found the ending really satisfying, I found it quite interesting and have been thinking about it this morning, so clearly it made an impact rather than being instantly forgotten.

Now we need to find a new thing to watch. I have to say I find something with many seasons to be a bit off putting and almost daunting, like when we see an 8-series show it feels like a big time commitment.

Things I've been enjoying lately:

- Last Kingdom: perhaps falls foul of too many series (there are 5), and it does get increasingly silly. But it also wraps up well and is very entertaining.
- Foundation: initially bewildering, but visually stunning and increasingly enjoyable.
- Hunters: tonally iffy, playing fast and loose with the holocaust, but I think its heart is in the right place. Each episode currently focussed on tracking and assassinating a different nazi in 70s America.
Page 2 of 3 [ 111 posts ]