My current laptop (Asus GL552JX or something, one of those "Republic of Gamers" laptops) has borked after 6 months - the Shift keys on the keyboard have stopped working, but with different keys, so for example the left Shift key can do a capital A but the right one can't, and neither can do a capital J nor a colon.
This state of affairs makes programming rather difficult.
Amazon are (apparently) going to send me a replacement laptop, but I figure this is an opportunity to get another one to fix a couple of the niggles I have with this one, and then sell the replacement when it arrives to recoup cost.
I've had a look and I'm struggling to find one that suits my (specific) requirements, which are:
- Intel Core i5 or i7 - my current one is i7, but I think I'd prefer i5 just for the improved battery life (which is abysmal on the current one)
- GeForce 950M or better (although the most taxing game I play on it is XCOM 2, so anything that might be able to deal with that would be enough)
- SSD for the OS, at least 128GB. Additional storage, as either SSD or HD very desirable.
- A dedicated Home and an End key - the current one has it on the numeric keypad so you either have to use Fn in conjunction with a number, or turn Num Lock off.
- A numeric keypad
Ideally it would have/be the following, but I can live without them:
- 15.6" inches - I don't want bigger, smaller would not be ideal but may be fine.
- Backlit keyboard
- Easy, non warranty-destroying access to replace HDs with SSDs etc.
I'm not mentioning budget as I'm open to anything, unless it's crazy money.
Oh, and it has to be something that can be delivered to me ASAP - so in an ideal world, something on Amazon Prime.