Pokemon Go
Gotta catch 'em all
Round toothpaste!! It's all round (cylindrical). Stupid rolly bastard stuff.
The most annoying thing is a little stripy pristine cylinder of toothpaste in your sink. It won't just wash away. It clings there, mocking you.

So you try to just flick it into the plug hole with your finger. Big mistake. Evil sticky smeary minty gloopy moron stuff.
Agent Starling wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
Mimi's phone screenshots make me twitchy as it's always so desperately low on charge. It's not even my phone and it gives me the heebies.

OMG :this:.

She was at 1% the other day - I'm still jittery over that one. :o

It's fine, plugged in charging is so quick it doesn't matter.
Lonewolves wrote:
Agent Starling wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
Mimi's phone screenshots make me twitchy as it's always so desperately low on charge. It's not even my phone and it gives me the heebies.

OMG :this:.

She was at 1% the other day - I'm still jittery over that one. :o

It's fine, plugged in charging is so quick it doesn't matter.

Ah, but what if Mimi forgot to connect the charger because she was distracted by a Pokemon on her toothpaste?
My phone regularly runs out of battery in the afternoon or evening. I'm not fussed when it does, really.
Mimi wrote:
That's ok, I had the idea many years ago. Also triangular toothpaste tubes, so your toothpaste comes out tinkering shaped and doesn't roll off the brush when you run it under water before brushing.

I want to see you and your tinkering toothpaste on Dragon's Den.
Ah, tinkering should say toblerone.
I control a gym! Woop!
Mimi wrote:

We all should say toblerone.
Trooper wrote:
I control a gym! Woop!

How much for a monthly off-peak membership?
Zardoz wrote:
Mimi wrote:

We all should say toblerone.

Toblerone
Zardoz wrote:
Trooper wrote:
I control a gym! Woop!

How much for a monthly off-peak membership?

£2
Awww man, I've lost control of my gym already
The gaming forums on Reddit are amusing to read about this game.
"It's just Ingress, but missing loads of features"
"There is nothing around me, I have to travel for ages to get anything"
"It needs turn based battles, PvP, in game chat etc..."
"This game is rubbish, i'm having to organise what to do with people outside of the game as you can't do it in game"

All totally missing the point :) The reason it is popular is that it is simple, with a good nostalgic IP, and is something that non-gamers are enjoying playing, precisely because the game is simple and has social interaction, not in spite of it as they seem to think.

Be interesting to see how long the popularity lasts and what comes next.
Trooper wrote:
Awww man, I've lost control of my gym already

£1.25.
I have seven eggs, one incubator, and the IAPs are right there. The struggle is real.
Trooper wrote:
I control a gym! Woop!

God, the resolution on those fonts is crap.

NINTENDOOOOOOOO *shakes fist*
I feel robbed. I caught a second Zubat (stupid flappy idiot took four pokeballs) and then when I checked my Pokemon it wasn't there!
Mimi wrote:
I feel robbed. I caught a second Zubat (stupid flappy idiot took four pokeballs) and then when I checked my Pokemon it wasn't there!

That'll be server issues, I suspect.
Pretty sure that if I could get GPS at my desk I'd be in range of a pokestop.
Pretty excited about my first pokeday in Canary Wharf today.
is there an apple version of this yet?
KovacsC wrote:
is there an apple version of this yet?

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I'm in. Caught five so far, although three of them are dupes. I had to use my iPhone because (I am told) the app crashes on Android Nougat. It absolutely smashes the battery, unsurprisingly.

Mimi -- progress appears to tied to a Google address [1] you sign in with, not your Apple ID. You won't lose progress if you start now and switch later.

It isn't out in the UK for Android, either. The devs halted international rollout while they get the servers stabilised.

[1] the developers of this, Niantic Labs, were owned by Google until recently. They previously made Ingress, which is a very similar game.
You have to use a US iTunes account to download it, mind.
Cheers, I don't have a US one. is it a faff?
Nope.

Go into app store, select the favourites tab, and scroll right down to the bottom. Sign out of your account.
Find any free app and click to download it
When prompted, choose to create a new account
Set it up with a US address (https://www.randomlists.com/random-addresses) and select payment as none. Needs to be a real email address you have access to
Validate the creation of the account when you get the email
Search for Pokemon Go and download
Sign out of the US account and back into your normal account
Bloody hell. Found a presumably high level Pidgeotto (circle was orange), hit it five times without missing once, and it busted out every time then ran off :(
Does this use Game Center or a Google account? Zeppo is on the fence about whether to go US account or wait for a UK release
Login is a Google account
I'm constantly bemused by people and even media reports saying 'I can't believe they put a gym/pokestop at place X' as if they think there's actually been some editorial control over where these things go rather than the app just consuming some central POI database somewhere and using that.
I can't remember whether I saw it here or elsewhere, but I love the thing where someone found a gym offshore, or in a lake or something, and then spotted some people in a kayak out there, getting it for their team.
Yeah, that was excellent
And only one page ago. ;)

Trooper wrote:
http://imgur.com/a/MS0YG
So what teams did you guys go for?
Mimi wrote:
So what teams did you guys go for?

Aston Villa :(
@kovacs.. there is, but not in the our countries yet.... i got mine by pretending to be austrialian..

level 5 now, but seemingly powerless against the 566 gym at my work.. any idea how to progress...the ones i cathed are all in the 20-30 rrange..
Catch more, transfer duplicates for candies, train your best. Go to a gym that's on your side, and fight there for training.
@mimi team Red! Valor! (and in Red v Blue (roma v lazio), i usually support red_
@cras.. do wonder which poi database though.. like e.g. they have actually a Column in my office (a kind of totem for my company showing success) as one..., and also the big chess board inside our garden... not really normal poi;s
It uses the ingress database, which has been crowdsourced by the players for years, you used to be able to submit POI on there.

Most churches will have a pokestop as they were automatically added to the database when submitted on ingress, without needing to go through a review.
Blimey, evolving makes a world of difference. Now I know how these gyms are defended by such high level Pokemon.
Cras wrote:
Blimey, evolving makes a world of difference. Now I know how these gyms are defended by such high level Pokemon.

Take that, creationists!
Yeah, no permissions listed on Android here, seems ok.
I think I'll wait for the official UK launch on this, when the server issues and gaping security holes have been ironed out.
Hearthly wrote:
I think I'll wait for the official UK launch on this, when the server issues and gaping security holes have been ironed out.

And there's no risk of getting banned for jumping the queue.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Jesus Christ

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/sta ... 2865603584

http://adamreeve.tumblr.com/post/147120 ... urity-risk

Anyone on iOS should disable this now. Android isn't affected, apparently.

Yeah... but... but... but... You can catch Pokemon.. IN REAL LIFE!

I'd risk it and if I did lose my Google account, at least I'd have my Jigglypuff.
Too fucking right!
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Jesus Christ

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/sta ... 2865603584

http://adamreeve.tumblr.com/post/147120 ... urity-risk

Anyone on iOS should disable this now. Android isn't affected, apparently.

Nowhere near as bad as it initially seemed, apparently. Someone did a decent job of pulling apart the auth process. Seems to be a mix of lazy app coding, a deprecated oAuth API, and poor UI work on Google's part

https://gist.github.com/arirubinstein/f ... 08c3e41538
Page 2 of 11 [ 520 posts ]