EU in or out?

How do you feel about Britain leaving the EU?
1) I want the UK out of the EU at all costs.  0%  [ 0 ]
2) I want out of the EU, unless there is some show stopper that means we should stay in.  0%  [ 0 ]
3) I want out of the EU, but could easily be persuaded to stay in.  2%  [ 1 ]
4) Not sure if we should stay in or out.  8%  [ 3 ]
5) I want to stay in the EU, but could easily be persuaded to leave.  2%  [ 1 ]
6) I want to stay in the EU, unless there is a showstopper that means we should leave.  59%  [ 22 ]
7) I want the UK to stay in the EU at all costs.  27%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 37
I... got drunk in one European capital. If you count London.
Just Rome for me. I've never been to that London and Edinburgh doesn't count
I said EDINBURGH DOESN'T COUNT.
I agree with DavPaz. Edinburgh is a regional capital, not a national capital.
Its a very interesting campaign some odd alliances, John Major and Tony Blair.

Had to laugh at Eddie Izzard and Nigel Farage the other day on question time. Farage as always ridiculous and spouting shit, but then Izzard in a pink beret and nail varnish trying to pull him up on immigration, what a circus!
Izzard being both a fucking genius and a wordsmith, I'm willing to bet that wasn't a tough fight with Farage being a fucking moronic potato.
Spotted my first local Remain canvassers. Half a dozen, all mid 30s at the very oldest. Big age contrast with the racist old pensioners canvassing for GO and Leave in the town centre most weekends.
Interesting that every living Prime Minister or former PM is backing Remain.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I definitely feel country can be trusted to make an informed decision!

Aren't pretty much all UK child benefit payments made to kids living in the EU?
Quote:
Izzard being both a fucking genius and a wordsmith, I'm willing to bet that wasn't a tough fight with Farage being a fucking moronic potato

In this case the consensus was he was a bit of a twat and was told to shut up and let Farage speak, so didn't do himself or his cause any favors really.

Genius he may be, I don't know, but he looked like a clown on that show, I don't get the half a trany look he has, maybe that's part of the genius ?!
The UK promoting is finest EU export again :facepalm:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36509843
asfish wrote:
Quote:
Izzard being both a fucking genius and a wordsmith, I'm willing to bet that wasn't a tough fight with Farage being a fucking moronic potato

In this case the consensus was he was a bit of a twat and was told to shut up and let Farage speak, so didn't do himself or his cause any favors really.

Genius he may be, I don't know, but he looked like a clown on that show, I don't get the half a trany look he has, maybe that's part of the genius ?!

He just wants to wear whatever he feels like.
And maybe you 'getting it' isn't something he's bothered by.
Cras wrote:

You think?

Nothing to get really if he wants to look like a cross between Frank Spencer and a bad trany that's his business, not sure he will be a big influence on the EU referendum though.
asfish wrote:
The UK promoting is finest EU export again :facepalm:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36509843

Urgh, football, nasty squalid violent sport used as an excuse for thuggery. Shouldn't be suprised that is going on again. The shaven-headed goon squad have no self control.
I don't think football itself is nasty, squalid or violent.
asfish wrote:
Cras wrote:

You think?

Nothing to get really if he wants to look like a cross between Frank Spencer and a bad trany that's his business, not sure he will be a big influence on the EU referendum though.

Some people like to listen to what people say and not judge them based on fashion choices and outdated prejudices.
Curiosity wrote:
asfish wrote:
Cras wrote:

You think?

Some people like to listen to what people say and not judge them based on fashion choices and outdated prejudices.

Fashion doesn't come into it, He dresses like a twat.

He also made a clown of himself in the debate and didn't really come across as a wordsmith.

Question time is not really a show for bad panto dames, although apparently his dressing up is called self-referential pantomime.
asfish wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
asfish wrote:
Cras wrote:

You think?

It doesn't matter what he's wearing. If he was wearing a suit, would it be worth comment?
asfish wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
asfish wrote:
Cras wrote:

You think?

He also made a clown of himself in the debate and didn't really come across as a wordsmith.

Question time is not really a show for bad panto dames, although apparently his dressing up is called self-referential pantomime.

All: Oh no it isn't!
It's good that we're deciding the biggest political question in the last 50 years of our history based on outfits rather than Farage being a ludicrous small-minded hate-filled racist.
Cras wrote:
It's good that we're deciding the biggest political question in the last 50 years of our history based on outfits rather than Farage being a ludicrous small-minded hate-filled racist.

He did have a nice jacket and tie on for this debate
I think Izard looked great, though his eye make-up could have been a shade lighter with the stark rimmed glasses, buts that's a studio lights problem more than his actual make up. It's really difficult to light a relatively heavy smoky eye well in a bright studio setting. Maybe a warmer dusk lighting or candlelight works better, but I remember the studio I used to work at used to have to adjust up-lighting significantly to stop the shadow cast under the eye, especially if wearing specs. Difficult with a touring rig, of course.

I do quite fancy a beret in that fuchsia colour, though.
asfish wrote:
I don't get the half a trany look he has

asfish wrote:
a bad trany

Do you not know this is offensive, or not care?
My colleague, an intelligent, educated businessman who works in the logistics arm of a multinational company voted 'out'. He is 35. I reckon this will be out afterall.
Bobbyaro wrote:
My colleague, an intelligent, educated businessman who works in the logistics arm of a multinational company voted 'out'. He is 35. I reckon this will be out afterall.

Latest polls are saying 55% in favor of out
I think it's looking increasingly likely that Out will win, though I'm still not sure why they are getting so much support.
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
I think it's looking increasingly likely that Out will win, though I'm still not sure why they are getting so much support.

I think it was always going to be about immigration. Remain should have grasped this nettle sooner, rather than saying "ONS statistics say..." about dull stuff.
asfish, you are a massively bigoted prick.
Lonewolves wrote:
asfish, you are a massively bigoted prick.

You are a Politically Correct twat, neither insult changes the fact that Eddie Izzard is a bad trany.
You... can't even spell it right, man.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
asfish wrote:
I don't get the half a trany look he has

asfish wrote:
a bad trany

Do you not know this is offensive, or not care?

I guess we have an answer.
I must say, Asfish, you've always seemed like a really nice chap, so your comments are a surprise.

Perhaps relatedky, I was resting a few news stories over the weekend about Will Smith's son Jaden Smith, who is currently heading up the modelling for Louis Vuitton's new womenswear line. http://www.gq.com/story/jaden-smith-lou ... ign-images

Obviously he is a particularly good looking young person, so does this make it different to Izzard wearing what you might think of as women's clothes?

There are many quotes around and I'm on my phone so not in the best place to have a quick lol around, but Jafen Smith has said some wonderful things, including (my paraphrasing from something I read a few days ago) 'I don't really see make and female as being a binary. Instead I see people who are comfortable in what they wear and people who are scared'.

Anyway, I wondered if it was something to do with the idea of wearing clothes outside of the normal assigned gender 'norm' or something about Izzard's particular aesthetic you didn't like?

There's only one thing that I can see as a problem in Jaden heading the womenswear campaign, myself, and that comes from a tailoring perspective. Knowing a good deal than most about thus area, women's and men's clothes simply aren't cut the same, due to physiological differences: hip shape, seat rise, less crotch space, bust darts, shoulder slope... Etc. Jaden Smith will have had the cloths tailored to fit a very specific frame, but the main line will be cut to fit a female form, which wouldn't fit most male body firms should Jaden Smith turn out to be an ambassador for more freedom in clothes choice.
I don't think everyone calling each other pricks helps make anyone more tolerant or accepting. Maybe if people spent more time discussing g and finding out where others' prejudice and dislike stemmed from then horizons might be broadened and ideas shared.
Mimi wrote:
I don't think everyone calling each other pricks helps make anyone more tolerant or accepting. Maybe if people spent more time discussing g and finding out where others' prejudice and dislike stemmed from then horizons might be broadened and ideas shared.

Have you not seen his posting history? Lost cause. And I reject the idea that marginalised people should have to be nice to bigots in order to survive in society without being called slurs.
Slur is almost what I thought the pronunciation of Chloé was until about 7 years back.
Lonewolves wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Have you not seen his posting history? Lost cause. And I reject the idea that marginalised people should have to be nice to bigots in order to survive in society without being called slurs.

Didn't say you should be nice. Also wasn't aimed at you, was equally towards Asfish and everyone else. And no, I've never noticed before, and I'm not going to trawl through past posts, but I don't read all threads and posts so it has probably just passed me by. Asfish I know mostly for posting about minifish and his development.
Quote:
I think it was always going to be about immigration. Remain should have grasped this nettle sooner, rather than saying "ONS statistics say..." about dull stuff.

Is immigration going to change with an out vote? If the UK goes out then wants to have access to the EU Market in the same was as Norway then we will have to allow some freedom of movement?
asfish wrote:
Quote:

Is immigration going to change with an out vote? If the UK goes out then wants to have access to the EU Market in the same was as Norway then we will have to allow some freedom of movement?

The Norway stuff is bollocks. It came about like this:

"Quick! People are going to ask us about what happens after we leave! What do we say?"
"Christ, hadn't thought of that! We need a reference point that people think they can relate to but absolutely know nothing about!"
"Somewhere near, prosperous which looks nice"
"Norway?"
"Excellent. We'll cobble together Norway as being a Utopian neighbour of the EU. Nobody really knows anything about Norway, except for Frozen and Black Metallers burning down churches and the latter half are all getting River Hepatitus at Download"
"Genius"
I don't support what asfish has said about "trannies" or whatever, and fiercely defend the right of anyone and everyone to dress how they damn well like - end of. BUT. To deny that giving an impression is somehow unimportant/irrelevant is wishful thinking BS as well - if Michael Burke read the news in stockings, suspenders, nipple tassles and black patent leather boots, it wouldn't matter what he said or how well he said it, I wouldn't be able to take him (or the subject matter) seriously. I'm sure the same would be true if I turned up at my next meeting in a pink fucking beret and nail varnish.

Listen, whether we like it or not, these things matter. To mine and many other people's eyes, to see this middle aged man with union jack nail varnish, false eyebrows and a pink beret was just incredibly offputting, I'm sorry but it was. I imagine that many people watching just could not identify with that at all, and whether consciously or subconsciously thought "that's not me, I must belong to the other side of the argument to these luvvie and hipster types"?

Even leaving aside his appearance, what he was saying was utter bollocks anyway as far as I could make out - just a bunch of hippy-dippy shit about why we (the world) just can't all get on [which, as Gnomes pointed out a long time ago, is complete BS unless we are really saying the NHS and our schools etc. are for the entire world and there's no limit, spatial or monetary, upon which the UK can say, we can't take any more]. Well, that, and blasting Farage for having a German wife, as if this makes him a hypocrite (by defaul for being anti EU) - which it doesn't of course.

Personally I found it all very uncomfortable and likely counterproductive; never thought I'd be so glad to see Hilary Benn on a QT panel. Why can't Remain play to its many strengths and arguments - wheel out countless business forecasts and learned economists - instead of bizarrely dressed Z list celebrities?
Cavey wrote:
Listen, whether we like it or not, these things matter. To mine and many other people's eyes, to see this middle aged man with union jack nail varnish, false eyebrows and a pink beret was just incredibly offputting, I'm sorry but it was. I imagine that many people watching just could not identify with that at all, and whether consciously or subconsciously thought "that's not me, I must belong to the other side of the argument to these luvvie and hipster types"?

Much as I disagree that this *should* ever be the case, and wish to all the world that it wasn't, I think you are probably correct. I think that there will be many more small-minded people on the Brexit side (because those that will be swayed to Brexit because of racism or other prejudice are more likely to hold other prejudices), but for those that are unsure, on the fence about how to vote and perhaps aren't as cosmopolitan in their views might find a very vocal voice from those that they absolutely cannot identify with perhaps makes them consider that this is the wrong side fir them.

In most circumstances this would be a 'their loss' argument, but actually it would mean that their small-mindedness was our loss.

All that said, I think Izzard's did the absolute right thing to dress how he felt he wanted (content of his arguments and their effectiveness aside) but unfortunately I don't know that everyone is as ready as most people here to readily see that it doesn't matter.
But on the other hand there are probably plenty of other people who, equally stupidly, won't really listen to anything someone says just because they are another old man in a suit.
That may also be true. In those cases, however, I have the feeling that those will be the same people who do not bother to register to vote, or listen to the arguments to begin with. I think both cases would work against the remain vote.
@Meems

Hey, I don't get to set the rules of human nature and perception, and I think I made my own personal views re. the choice of people to wear what they damn well like pretty clear. I'm simply pointing out the blindingly obvious.

I've never rated Izzard, personally - and I've never understood why he's such a dwarling of the intellectual Left, given that (IMO) so much of the stuff he says seems to be the usual dim-witted, hippy-dippy, super-simplistic boilerplate trash that would be hard-pressed to impress reasonably smart teens (and as for the stand up I've seen, this was about as funny as TB in my opinion). Look, the guy wears a dress: get over it. See also: Russell Brand.

For me, if Izzard was really serious about trying to convert souls and minds (as opposed to, say, possibly indulging his own ego and desire to shock?), he might of toned it down a bit, and even done a bit of homework before coming on. For me, it's annoying that people like him are given such a platform and mouthpiece, when there are so many who are far more worthy who are denied. Call me boring, but I'd have liked to hear from a spokesperson of the OECD or IMF, instead of this bullshit; people are discussing Eddie Izzard's headgear, not GDP forecasts. Gah.
I thought I'd have a look at an image of this seeing as how people are going on about his appearance. It's not even out of the ordinary!
Yeah, those glasses look really bad. :D
How you choose to present yourself does usually say a fair amount about you.

As to whether people will like what you have to say about yourself is another matter, and should probably be thought through depending on the circumstances if you want to win people over.
Page 7 of 15 [ 723 posts ]