Tomato sauce
Poll time!

Well?
In the cupboard  55%  [ 20 ]
In the fridge  44%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 36
Cavey wrote:
Mate, I'm bored with this now and I'm all mayo'd out. I'm just not prepared to yet again go through what is, at the end of the day, _really simple to understand stuff_, sorry.
Look, don't refrigerate your mayo. Or ketchup. Or anything. Don't listen to the manufacturers. Stick the lot out your front door for the crows for all I care; marvel at the ensuing explosion of fauna. Your Great Condiments Storage Instructions Rebellion holds no further interest to me. I'm done here. :)

A "I'm quitting this argument and anyway you're boring to even care so much about this and also you're still wrong but I simply don't care enough to explain why" response straight out of the Big Book Of Usenet Flouncing, 1990-1999 Edition. Rarely do we encounter such a perfect specimen in the wild.
Yup that's me Doc - you win etc.

:roll:
Quote:
Hardcore Condiments Debate Thread needed?

Yes! Also how many Fridges do you have as well!
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Mate, I'm bored with this now and I'm all mayo'd out. I'm just not prepared to yet again go through what is, at the end of the day, _really simple to understand stuff_, sorry.
Look, don't refrigerate your mayo. Or ketchup. Or anything. Don't listen to the manufacturers. Stick the lot out your front door for the crows for all I care; marvel at the ensuing explosion of fauna. Your Great Condiments Storage Instructions Rebellion holds no further interest to me. I'm done here. :)

A "I'm quitting this argument and anyway you're boring to even care so much about this and also you're still wrong but I simply don't care enough to explain why" response straight out of the Big Book Of Usenet Flouncing, 1990-1999 Edition. Rarely do we encounter such a perfect specimen in the wild.

Its 19.30, you must have better things to do, like have a beer in your bar?
asfish wrote:
Quote:

Mate, I'm so in pole position here: including my garage fridge I have *three*. Beat that. :D
The fuck is wrong with you g00ru? Don't keep beer in a fridge. Jesus.
asfish wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cavey wrote:

Its 19.30, you must have better things to do, like have a beer in your bar?

To be fair, I think he's still fighting off the proto-humanoid giant brain-sucking bacteria in his kitchen, as evolved from that best before March 1999 jar of unrefrigerated Doritos Dipping Sauce in his cupboard. The scene is rather like Star Trek III: The Search for Spock when they find the casket and super accelerated evolving bugs. But without the exploding planet and earthquakey stuff, obviously.
This probably isn't the time to bring up butter dishes is it?
Cavey wrote:
asfish wrote:
Quote:

Mate, I'm so in pole position here: including my garage fridge I have *three*. Beat that. :D

Also three, with two freezers.
:'(

/skulks away, beaten
2 fridge freezers, one in the garage. One chest freezer.

Also, surely salt has no expiry date as well as honey?
The fuck you bitches bo jangling about?

Mother fucking wardrobe that I had to CAREFULLY ENGINEER and install UPSIDE DOWN and even then I had to keep some beer ON THE TOP
Now see, there's a man who has total clarity as regards his priorities. I salute you, Mali. :D
Carry on, Sergeant.
asfish wrote:
Its 19.30, you must have better things to do,

Than yank Cavey's chain? Nope.
No chain being yanked here mate; I'm stuck at work and having a good chuckle, marveling at this shite. You're doing me a favour, believe me. :D
DavPaz wrote:
2 fridge freezers, one in the garage. One chest freezer.

Also, surely salt has no expiry date as well as honey?

I'm
Not sure, as I'm not sure salt would be classed as food?
It's one of the two food groups that matter, the other being fat.
Cras wrote:

Wtf.

There's only one primary food group. Bacon. If you can't get bacon you then and only then do you go to the composite sub food groups of salt and fat.
Cras wrote:

If things don't work out with me and Gaz, will you marry me dude?
Maple syrup goes mouldy, I've found. Never had that issue with golden syrup though.
Maple syrup always says keep in the fridge and use in a month, it's a bit if a ball ache really, I don't think we've ever managed to use a full bottle of it.
Today's 'PALATABLE OR POISON' challenge is......

A Cadbury Pot Of Joy Caramel. USE BY date of 18 May.

SCENARIO - You've just had your tea. It is 10:30pm on the 26th of May and you fancy a bit of dessert. The aforementioned Caramel Pot Of Joy presents itself from the fridge.

Do you?

1) BIN IT
2) EAT IT
3) SNIFF IT AND DECIDE

Attachment:
Screenshot 2016-05-27 at 07.57.07.png
Quote:
Mate, I'm so in pole position here: including my garage fridge I have *three*. Beat that.

One "American style fridge freezer" in the kitchen, 2 freezers and a small fridge in the garage.

Also have one of those beer fridges with the glass front in my shed but I never have that on.
4) Actually manage to eat stuff before it reaches its best before date.

I'll go for option 4. It's not that hard.
Mr Dave wrote:

We bought a load of them as Hearthly Jnr was well into them for her desserts, then she changed her mind, so we've ended up with excess stock in the fridge.

I see no reason to chuck them away when there's nothing wrong with them, and I'm quite partial to chocolate treats.
Why do you guys have so much fridge and freezer space? We gave a small in-built fridge that looks like a kitchen cupboard, which has a small ice box built in, and then a miniature chest freezer, which is mostly full of homemade baby food portions that I have frozen down.

If desserts are going out of date by a week then I would think I had bought too many to eat in the time before they go off. I don't think anything in our fridge ever reaches the use by date. Maybe an egg from a box of six eggs where we can't get through the smallest number in a box, I guess.

Anyway, I'd not eat that dessert thing.assumjng it has dairy in it, I just don't think it'd be worth my risk of feeling ill just to eat it for the sake of it.
I would eat it Hearthly, no problem and I totally understand where you are with buying things for your kids.

Mine will love stuff one day, then decide they don't like them the next. Normally right after we've been shopping.
Hearthly wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

We bought a load of them as Hearthly Jnr was well into them for her desserts, then she changed her mind, so we've ended up with excess stock in the fridge.

I see no reason to chuck them away when there's nothing wrong with them, and I'm quite partial to chocolate treats.

Ah, I didn't see this post. That makes sense.

Though I guess I would have just eaten them as soon as he went off them. We had an extra petit Filous that wasn't going to get eaten before the date ran out, so I either had to give our boy two in a day, or eat one, so I helped out by eating one, because I am a great mum.
Quote:
Why do you guys have so much fridge and freezer space? We gave a small in-built fridge that looks like a kitchen cupboard, which has a small ice box built in, and then a miniature chest freezer, which is mostly full of homemade baby food portions that I have frozen down.

We don't buy any meat or fish from the supermarket, I get it in batches from either the local butcher or a couple of online places.

Then we freeze it all and get it out when we need it.

I get meat here https://www.farmison.com/ (they have a good offer on chicken breasts this week)

Fish from here https://thecornishfishmonger.co.uk/?gcl ... 0wodFOUEVQ
I have a question. What happens if you’re eating something at 5 minutes to midnight on the day that the best before date is up. Then, you’re still eating it as the clock approaches midnight.

Would you stop eating at 11:59 and 59 seconds and throw the rest away?
What if you cross the International Date Line?
Fucking hell. Really?

One or two people here are obviously past their use by date, let alone the food. :D
So we're saying that we should take all our food that'll expire soon, on a plane trip?

It seems like it's the only way.
I give mine to Superman to spin around the world really fast.

That way when I throw up I can't tell if it's from the expired food or the g-forces.
What I take some fresh fruit and veg forward in time using a time machine?

Can I use it to feed a Mogwai after midnight while on a plane?
Unless we go away somewhere I don't really have best before date issues.

We don't eat any processed food so the main things I have to watch for are milk and yogurts. They are always consumed by my wife and son in good time :)

Get fruit and veg going off now and again, that goes into my compost bins.
I'd eat the Cadbury's thing.

And Mimi mentioning eggs reminds me of another way in which I ignore all the rules: will happily eat eggs ~1 month past their use by date. Still not dead.

(Do you keep your eggs at room temp or in the fridge?)
There's simply no way a Pot of Joy would last long enough in my house to go off.
Can't you test eggs by seeing if they float? Or is that a myth?
You test eggs by dropping them on the floor. If they bounce, they're no good. If they break... They're good!

Go on, try it!
Test them by jumping on them:

Curiosity wrote:

Yes, 'bad' eggs float.
http://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-t ... t-0154309/

Like witches.
Fun fact! In the US, eggs have to be refrigerated, because they are washed before sale, removing the outer protective layer of the egg. In the EU, eggs are not allowed to be washed before sale, meaning that they don't have to be refrigerated.

Oh yes.
Another reason for / against Brexit.
asfish wrote:
Quote:

We don't buy any meat or fish from the supermarket, I get it in batches from either the local butcher or a couple of online places.

Then we freeze it all and get it out when we need it.

I get meat here https://www.farmison.com/ (they have a good offer on chicken breasts this week)

Fish from here https://thecornishfishmonger.co.uk/?gcl ... 0wodFOUEVQ

Ah, I forgot about meat and fish. We don't buy either of those (though I bought some lamb, chicken, turkey and beef for the baby a couple of weeks ago and was astounded at how ridiculously expensive it was. Bulk buying makes sense in that regard I suppose.
Curiosity wrote:

Yeah, but I'd eat it anyway :D
Grim... wrote:
)

:p
Page 5 of 8 [ 377 posts ]