Well?
In the cupboard  55%  [ 20 ]
In the fridge  44%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 36
Including the blood pudding?
Kern wrote:

Ooh man, checkmate looms! :D

On the one hand, denial would mean Cras considers 'full English' to be sans black pudding, which is obviously unthinkable, yet the alternative involves admitting to eating cold, congealed pig-blood.

Ah well, looks like cold congealed pig-blood it is then! Nom.... :D
Cavey wrote:
I knew you would be Curio, that was kinda the parting shot joke. :p
I can read people; a man as aghast as you were at my merely swigging Red Bull from a can is never going to tolerate whiffy, claggy, pseudo booger-laden unrefrigerated condiments past their sell-by date and teeming with bacteria for (ahem) 'bragging rights'. :D

Still, if you have to explain a joke, huh. :'(

Yet you assumed I'd even taste unrefrigerated, out of date Mayo. You read me badly, Cavey.

Coaster, wasn't it you that was once quite ill due to possibly eating undercooked pork?
Cras wrote:
I once ate an entire raw full english for a bet.
No you didn't.
Cavey wrote:
Kern wrote:

Ooh man, checkmate looms! :D

On the one hand, denial would mean Cras considers 'full English' to be sans black pudding, which is obviously unthinkable, yet the alternative involves admitting to eating cold, congealed pig-blood.

Ah well, looks like cold congealed pig-blood it is then! Nom.... :D

Of course it was with black pudding, good grief.
Mimi wrote:
Cavey wrote:
I can read people; a man as aghast as you were at my merely swigging Red Bull from a can is never going to tolerate whiffy, claggy, pseudo booger-laden unrefrigerated condiments past their sell-by date and teeming with bacteria for (ahem) 'bragging rights'. :D

Yet you assumed I'd even taste unrefrigerated, out of date Mayo. You read me badly, Cavey.

Coaster, wasn't it you that was once quite ill due to possibly eating undercooked pork?

Aw soz Mimi, I really wasn't saying that at all and I don't even remotely think that. :luv:
Soz - usual story - I was going for laughs but it backfired at bit, sorry sweetheart. :(
Mimi wrote:

I refuse to believe it was the pork. Pork would never betray me.
Raw pork doesn't make you ill, the bacteria that also find pork delicious do; pork can't help being so tasty, don't blame it.
Cavey wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Cavey wrote:

Aw soz Mimi, I really wasn't saying that at all and I don't even remotely think that. :luv:
Soz - usual story - I was going for laughs but it backfired at bit, sorry sweetheart. :(

Hehe, that's ok... I'm not upset, silly, but I'm literally the last person that would ever eat out of date sauces.

It's why I am a useless cook. If I'm told to cook done tuning for s certain time and temperature I add 30 degrees and double the time, just to make sure it is properly and thoroughly cooked.
Mimi wrote:
I add 30 degrees and double the time, just to make sure it is properly and thoroughly cooked.

8)

:'(
That poor pork. Hasn't it suffered enough?
With reference to histrionics about the filthiness of using condiments that have been...... KEPT IN A CUPBOARD.

I have a big problem with throwing food away, it just feels wrong and I really don't like to do it. That's not to say I'll eat obviously rotten food, or take chances with food I prepare for the family, and I'm very careful with meats for obvious reasons - but when it comes to stuff that can very easily be safely eaten past some arbitrary date whereby the food allegedly becomes A DEADLY WEAPON, I'm happy to trust my senses and make a call on that basis - rather than chuck perfectly good food in the bin.

I mean, what do we think is happening to food at midnight on the day it's got a USE BY date on? It's perfectly OK to eat at 7pm in the evening, but poisonous at 7am the next day?

This is in a drawer of my desk at work, it's Golden Syrup, I put some on a noodle dish I occasionally treat myself to, but it doesn't get used very often. I had some last month. I still appear to be alive.

A lot of stuff really doesn't 'go off' in any meaningful sense of the word. Ketchup kept in a cupboard is one of them.

Attachment:
Screenshot 2016-05-25 at 14.08.56.png
Golden syrup really does more or less last forever (thanks to osmotic potential :nerd: )
Mayonnaise isn't like that though, so you picked a really bad example, there. etc.

Also, I don't like throwing away food away either - which is why I store it in accordance with the manufacturer's express "once opened keep refrigerated" instructions, for maximum life. Why wouldn't I? What terrible things are going to happen if I don't put the ketchup bottle in the fridge, where it should be, according to the manufacturer who, after all, knows their product better than anyone?

But yeah, OH NOES MY DOLLOP OF TOMATO SAUCE IS AT 4 DEGREES CELCIUS, CALL THE COPS.
Food nerds*!

Why is it okay to keep things in the cupboard until they've been opened?

* Ferds
Cavey wrote:
Golden syrup really does more or less last forever (thanks to osmotic potential :nerd: )
Mayonnaise isn't like that though, so you picked a really bad example, there. etc.

Ha, nerd.
Grim... wrote:
Food nerds*!

* Ferds

Sealed, innit?
They aren't open to an atmosphere with horrible gubbins in.
having been packed in an atmosphere that didn't have horrible gubbins in
or one that killed whatever horrible gubbins were around at the time of packing, like tins.
Grim... wrote:
Food nerds*!

* Ferds

Because they've been packaged in a protected, sterile atmosphere and/or pasteurised in bottle or jar once sealed, killing all the nasties.

Once opened, though, in a non protected atmosphere new nasties get into the bottle; refrigeration inhibits their growth (but does not eliminate, hence best before dates). The most obvious example of how important this is is UHT milk: lasts for months on end as an unopened carton but once opened, must be kept in the fridge like normal milk.
DavPaz wrote:
Cavey wrote:

Ha, nerd.

: beams with nerd pride :
Cavey wrote:

It was just a general illustrative example, I appreciate it's a bit of a special case.

So you'd be happy to have some of that golden syrup, but tomato ketchup that had been kept in a cupboard for a couple of months would fall into the 'whiffy, claggy, pseudo booger-laden unrefrigerated condiment past its sell-by date and teeming with bacteria' category?
Someone on radio 4 enquired the other day about their bottle of water. The label proudly stated that the water had been filtered by Scottish rocks for hundreds of years yet the best before date was something like Summer next year.

The guy who owned the water company explained that it was due to the plastic bottle that the water was in. Eventually, the plastic will taint the water and whilst not making it harmful, would make it taste a little odd.
Hearthly wrote:
Cavey wrote:

It was just a general illustrative example, I appreciate it's a bit of a special case.

So you'd be happy to have some of that golden syrup, but tomato ketchup that had been kept in a cupboard for a couple of months would fall into the 'whiffy, claggy, pseudo booger-laden unrefrigerated condiment past its sell-by date and teeming with bacteria' category?

Well yes, as I've said, syrup and honey are super-concentrated sugar solutions which nothing can live in, as I've pointed out (and can even be used in first aid to sterilise a wound), so obviously I'd be fine eating these, because basic GCE science.

But I wouldn't be happy to eat mayonaise that's been opened and stored at room temperature for 2 months, as contrary to the manufacturers instructions, no. For the reasons stated.

As I said before, what exactly is your issue with putting a jar of mayo or tommy sauce in the fridge, in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations? Don't you believe them or something?

What terrible things do you think are going to happen - oh noes my dollop of mayo is a bit chilly? Sorry, but the manufacturer knows best; they invest millions into R&D, shelf life, appropriate formulation and storage. Bottom line - it may have been fine when I was a 16 year old impoverished student but at 49, I'm kinda well past the whole "sniff test before eating" thing, thanks.
The sniff test is also bollocks. Your nose isn't exactly that good at detecting things that you don't want to eat.
Mr Dave wrote:
The sniff test is also bollocks. Your nose isn't exactly that good at detecting things that you don't want to eat.

Exactly.
Even assuming one wanted to (and I don't) - if we could "trust our senses" ( :roll: ) then no-one would ever get food poisoning.
Mr Dave wrote:

*Rustles up a dog shit barmcake*
Zardoz wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

*Rustles up a dog shit barmcake*

Hey, if you're that determined to poison yourself...
It's not for me, it's to see how sensitive your conk is.

And don't try pinching your nose while you slide it down your Gregory!
You can have some chilled mayo on it if you like.
:spew:

...and on that bombshell etc.
It was chilled!
Cavey wrote:
I'm also really fussy about best before dates and keeping food generally; if in doubt, do without etc. (My bro's missus, who is otherwise lovely in all respects, is a food hoarder, forever sticking stuff back in the fridge, cupboards etc. for the nth time, saying 'I'm not wasting food, best before dates are a con to get you to buy more' etc, just as here. Her kids are forever spewing up with bugs etc, funny that :roll: )

If we're talking anecdotes, I keep stuff years beyond its BBE/sell by dates and both my kids and I have rock solid stomachs. Even when the noro bug did the rounds lately, my daughter was sick a token ONCE and that was it (and my son sympathy-vomited; thanks kid).

Aside from one additional time when my daughter was about 18 months old, neither of them have had any stomach bugs in 6.5 and 4 years respectively.

So I think that out of date condiments makes sod all difference :p

(I also eat leftovers that have been left out on the side for 24+hrs, meat that I cooked a week ago, etc... :spew: )

Cavey wrote:
yet the alternative involves admitting to eating cold, congealed pig-blood.

I bloody LOVE uncooked black pudding. :luv:

Gaz and I have been eating pork in every meal since Saturday using leftover hog roast that spent Saturday night and most of Sunday in the boot of his car. :DD
P.s. mayo in the fridge and ketchup in the cupboard.

Mayo that's gone translucent because it got warm reminds me too much of spunk.
Jem wrote:
Mayo that's gone translucent because it got warm reminds me too much of spunk.

:DD :DD :DD

You win this thread Jem. :D
Wait, leftover hog roast, what?
Cras wrote:

Don't look at me. I had three helpings!
Cras wrote:

Not to get all Cameron, but "fuck the pig, what about the leftover cheese"?

You failed us.

;)
I think Gaz needs to see a doctor.
I actually leave my tom sauce out on the kitchen counter most of the time because, you know, efficiency.
Cras wrote:

There was a good chunk of leg left. So far I've done pork sandwiches, bbq pulled pork and pork curry.

I'll probably knock up another batch of BBQ sauce tonight, mix in what's left of the pork and eat it from the pan :metul:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Tuna + mayo + balsamic is better, if what you're craving is a bit of vinegary bite.

That's how posh people make salad cream. I use mayo and balsamic to make potato salad.
I've made my own Mayo in the past. It's bloody difficult to get it right and it takes an astonishing amount of time. However, it really is beyond compare of most shop bought stuff I've tried.
Cavey wrote:
As I said before, what exactly is your issue with putting a jar of mayo or tommy sauce in the fridge, in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations? Don't you believe them or something?

No, I don't believe them at all. (Although for the record I should state I keep mayo and salad cream in the fridge, tomato sauce and suchlike in the cupboard.)

The line the 'manufacturers know best', in the wake of one corporate scandal after another over the years, doesn't hold much water with me. These are companies motivated 100% by profit and 'shareholder value', if they can think of any way whatsoever to get us to chuck good food away and buy more, they'll do it.
I love you, man. Only you could turn a discussion about whether one stores mayo in the fridge or not into some tinfoil hat wearer, corporate corruption-fest. :luv:
Like, I'm sure Kraft Foods and Unilever have much to gain if I keep slavishly obeying their irresistible commands to put condiments in the fridge..........I....I...I try to resist but can't.........

/checks fridge door for secret cameras
Hearthly wrote:
Cavey wrote:

No, I don't believe them at all. (Although for the record I should state I keep mayo and salad cream in the fridge, tomato sauce and suchlike in the cupboard.)

The line the 'manufacturers know best', in the wake of one corporate scandal after another over the years, doesn't hold much water with me. These are companies motivated 100% by profit and 'shareholder value', if they can think of any way whatsoever to get us to chuck good food away and buy more, they'll do it.

Retailers often want BBD well within product life and will only take stock within 75% of that life.
Cavey wrote:
I love you, man. Only you could turn a discussion about whether one stores mayo in the fridge or not into some tinfoil hat wearer, corporate corruption-fest.

/checks fridge door for secret cameras

He really isn't the only person here who could do that.
If they do it with baby food is it Cow&GateGate?
Page 3 of 8 [ 377 posts ]