Nintendo Switch (formerly "NX")
Now public!
I can't decide what to think. I don't think I'll end up getting one anyway, though. Mainly because I don't have any large chunks of time away from home where I could be using it.
It looks like a sad deformed puppy
CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Nintendo Switch or The Switch? The press can't make its mind up. Eitherway, it looks like an iPad with snap-on controllers and something is telling me that isn't going to be the final design for the thing and controllers. It's a horrible murky looking grey and the controller looks bleurgh.
I think it looks brilliant and could be the first Nintendo 'home' console I get (especially if it has Wii backwards compatibility). I spend much of my week commuting, so something like this would be splendid.

Though that very much depends on it not requiring an internet signal while out and about. My 4G is too patchy to watch Netflix consistently, let alone stream a game.
As a mate just messaged me - imagine the fun you can have looking for all the bits you've misplaced.
Saturnalian wrote:
Nintendo Switch or The Switch? The press can't make its mind up. Eitherway, it looks like an iPad with snap-on controllers and something is telling me that isn't going to be the final design for the thing and controllers.

I dunno, if it's out in March that's going to be it, surely?
Findus Fop wrote:
I think it looks brilliant and could be the first Nintendo 'home' console I get (especially if it has Wii backwards compatibility). I spend much of my week commuting, so something like this would be splendid.

Though that very much depends on it not requiring an internet signal while out and about. My 4G is too patchy to watch Netflix consistently, let alone stream a game.

I don't think it'll be backwards compatible, sadly. Also the cartridges seem to be in the handheld bit, so I don't think you'll have to stream games.
Trousers wrote:
As a mate just messaged me - imagine the fun you can have looking for all the bits you've misplaced.

Specifically with kids
Of course you're not streaming games, that's clearly nonsense. (Plus the video shows it being used on a plane.)
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Of course you're not streaming games, that's clearly nonsense. (Plus the video shows it being used on a plane.)

I was being polite.
Ahhhh this the first Nintendo console that's caught my attention since the Wii. Wanty want want.
Cartridges? What is this, the 80s? ;)
GazChap wrote:

If your fashion sense is anything to go by... yes.

:DD
Jem wrote:
GazChap wrote:

If your fashion sense is anything to go by... yes.

:DD

GazChap wrote:

At least they'll last, unlike games that come on discs.
It doesn't look very comfortable to hold.
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Too easy.
Lonewolves wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Too easy.

Too easy.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Too easy.

Too easy.

Where's the infinity symbol when you need it?
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Too easy.

Too easy.

Where's the infinity symbol when you need it?

Here it is. You dropped it

edit... it's tiny (too easy)

GazChap wrote:

What would be preferable for a portable? Optical media?

What is this, the 90s?

It's flash based storage which is low power, has quick transfer rates, and has potentially large capacity.
Looks pretty stupid to me.
Lonewolves wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

I don't think it'll be backwards compatible, sadly. Also the cartridges seem to be in the handheld bit, so I don't think you'll have to stream games.

I think it would almost certainly be compatible with games bought through download, although Nintendo will probably require you to do a one time, one way only, account transfer, knowing them. It is shown running the Zelda game that's (hopefully still) coming for Wii U.

Edit: Oh wait, he said Wii compatible. That one is uncertain. Actually, it is unlikely to support the Wii controllers.
Hmm, there is speculation that it might not even have a touch screen, since it has to work while docked, so maybe it won't in fact be backwards compatible at all.
As a home console, isn't it a step back from the Wii U?

Yes, you can take this out and have LAN parties. But sitting on your bum at home, at the moment, this does less.
Bluecup wrote:

Yes, you can take this out and have LAN parties. But sitting on your bum at home, at the moment, this does less.

It's the games that matter. My Xbox one does all manner of things but I'm not enjoying it as much as I enjoyed my 360.
The way I see it, Nintendo is basically asking people to bring this thing with them instead of their regular tablet. I can't really see that happening, unless it runs Android (and does indeed support touch) or something.
I see this as a replacement to my 3DS or DS that pretty much go everywhere with me. My phone does all the tablet stuff so this would be just for playing games.
LewieP wrote:
GazChap wrote:

Why not something like an SD card, or a mini SD card or something.

Or just have internal flash storage, I imagine it'd be cheap enough - no need to load it up like Apple do with the iPhone (i.e. £100 for 16GB extra type markups)

I assume piracy is the reason, but surely there are ways of preventing (or hindering) piracy on SD cards by now.
TheVision wrote:
Bluecup wrote:

It's the games that matter. My Xbox one does all manner of things but I'm not enjoying it as much as I enjoyed my 360.

That's because you're missing bezzies. Get a PS4. :)
Looks impressive, the gimmick of the detachable sides etc seems to have detracted from the fact they have a hand held device capable of playing skyrim. That's pretty neat.
As long as it can play it for more than 30 minutes.
Pundabaya wrote:
Looks pretty stupid to me.

You shut your whore mouth.
My sides have split detached.
GazChap wrote:
LewieP wrote:
GazChap wrote:

Why not something like an SD card, or a mini SD card or something.

Or just have internal flash storage, I imagine it'd be cheap enough - no need to load it up like Apple do with the iPhone (i.e. £100 for 16GB extra type markups)

I assume piracy is the reason, but surely there are ways of preventing (or hindering) piracy on SD cards by now.

It will have SD (or perhaps MicroSD) card support. The cartridges are just for games you want to buy physically rather than as downloads.

The DSi, Wii, 3DS and Wii U have all supported SD or MicroSD cards.

Having a slot for proprietary memory cards sold with games on them doesn't prevent having support for SD/MicroSD cards.

It will probably have some internal flash memory too.

Yes lots of people (myself included) would prefer to download games these days, but removing the option of a physical copy is not desirable, and would lose them a lot of money.

Edit: I suspect it will operate in much the same way as the 3DS does. No one seemed to have any problem with that.
According to Ars, the Switch uses a CPU that is entirely incompatible with the one in Wii U (which I guess has been known for a while but I wasn't aware), meaning backwards compatibility is completely out of the question.

So no touch, no motion control, no backwards compatibility, but still less powerful than the current gen, and that's not even including the new updates from Sony and Microsoft. They are really banking on the belief that people are craving a mobile gaming platform with proper controls.
And also banking on the fact that the Star Point scandal has been swept under the carpet.
I can't wait to join an online game with my friend NintendoPlayer64, once I've received his 16-character friend code that is ;)
Zardoz wrote:
And also banking on the fact that the Star Point scandal has been swept under the carpet.
Nah, they'll just put some shitty Pokemon thing on it and you'll abandon all your principles.
lasermink wrote:
According to Ars, the Switch uses a CPU that is entirely incompatible with the one in Wii U (which I guess has been known for a while but I wasn't aware), meaning backwards compatibility is completely out of the question.

So no touch, no motion control, no backwards compatibility, but still less powerful than the current gen, and that's not even including the new updates from Sony and Microsoft. They are really banking on the belief that people are craving a mobile gaming platform with proper controls.

No forward facing camera either! Noooooooo.
I just want to play the next Mario and Splatoon games - being able to do so on the move or on holiday or at work is just a bonus.
I have never played a Mario game.
Bobbyaro wrote:
I have never played a Mario game.

whut
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
TheVision wrote:
Bluecup wrote:

That's because you're missing bezzies. Get a PS4. :)

Yes Ma'am
lasermink wrote:

Where are you getting "no touch" from?

I am fairly certain they are just not talking about touch yet, because the main thing that distinguishes it from for example a tablet is the physical controls.

I also doubt they'll be letting games require touch controls, so that they can ensure games will work when in docked mode on the tv.

Same applies to motion control. Just because the people in the trailer didn't demonstrate any waggle doesn't mean it's not supported.

It's a shame there's no BC, but the PPC architecture has been an albatross around Nintendo's neck for a while now. They needed to move to a more modern architecture, and this means they can just develop one library of software rather than segregating their software output between a handheld and a home console. I'm interested to see if Nintendo are doing any kind of free upgrade/discount for owners of the Wii U versions of the games which appear to be getting Switch versions with new features (both Splatoon and Mario Kart appear to be based on the Wii U versions, but also have new features not present in the Wii U versions).
LewieP wrote:

From the fact that it spends half its life inside a box across the living room from you, I suspect.
Grim... wrote:
LewieP wrote:

From the fact that it spends half its life inside a box across the living room from you, I suspect.

Why does that mean it can't have a touchscreen for those times when it isn't docked?

If nothing else, Nintendo will probably want to do a new version of Mario Maker, which was hugely successful on Wii U despite the small install base.

The cost of doing a touchscreen versus not doing a touchscreen is tiny for a device this size.

I'd generally assume that any device released in 2017 with a screen close enough for you to touch would be a touchscreen.

Hell, Nintendo have been putting touch screens in things since 2004.
http://m.imgur.com/a/FSHaK

Someone has done mockups of different colours which look much better than that sodding grey.
Page 2 of 36 [ 1782 posts ]