Nintendo Switch (formerly "NX")
Now public!
Grim... wrote:
I'd love Mario Kart again.

Maybe I'll get a Wii-U. Are they plummeting in price yet?

The Wii U is a cracking console. I love mine.
Grim... wrote:
The lack of games reminds me that for a good month or so after getting my Wii on launch day I had every game that was out.

And it wasn't that many.

GJ and I were in Gamestation for the Wii's midnight launch and they didn't have a lot of the promised launch titles in stock so I ended up buying games I didn't particularly want (the Monster Truck game springs to mind) just to have something to play.

Not sure I'll be getting a Switch. I've no need for another mobile gaming platform, so I can see me getting a PS4 instead at some point.

Grim... wrote:

Smash Bros is still the only reason I want a Wii-U. It would have been nice if there was a Fire Emblem game for it, especially as I think the controller would work well with it, but I doubt there's one planned.
devilman wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Smash Bros is still the only reason I want a Wii-U. It would have been nice if there was a Fire Emblem game for it, especially as I think the controller would work well with it, but I doubt there's one planned.

Yeah, Smash Bros too, for sure. And Mario. I've never been that into Zelda - not sure why.

Was there a new Excite Truck?
CEX can hook me up with a pre-owned Wii-U and Mario Kart for ~ £200.

I think it'll drop way more when the Switch is released, though.
You owe it to yourself to play Splatoon.

Also Captain Toad, Bayonetta 2 and Pikmin 3 are good shouts.
Bayonetta fo sho.
Grim... wrote:
CEX can hook me up with a pre-owned Wii-U and Mario Kart for ~ £200.

I think it'll drop way more when the Switch is released, though.

I see better value ones on Ebay. Like this one
12 months warranty from CEX, though.
If you have the grunt to run it (and dont mind messing around getting it setup) there is also a Wii-U Emulator

http://cemu.info/

Still very early stages but some videos of it running various games

From the summaries from the various gaming sites this sounds like it will be an absolute disaster.
But it'll be the only place to play Nintendo games and that carries a lot of weight, especially in Japan. I can't see it being a disaster. Sure, it may not be as popular as the PS4 or Xbox one but I won't be writing off Nintendo any time soon.
I wasn't fussed but since Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is coming to Switch, I'm psyched for it. And the new Mario platformer looks alright. But mostly Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I don't know why they haven't continued Xenoblade Chronicles X storyline though - that was the tits and was left on a great cliffhanger.

Monolithsoft really are the hidden jewel in Ninty's crown (they helped with the new Zelda too fact fans).
Also, courgette on pizza.
And someone apparently eating pizza with a fork.
And what looks like a bottle of vegetable oil.
Nah, they're just expecting a visit from Trump.
Yet despite everything I still want one.
Lonewolves wrote:

a Trump?
Lonewolves wrote:

A mad pensioner pissing in your eyes?
Well, he did go to a sinn fein fundraiser so in some regards, entirely expected.
Those controllers look awful!
Zardoz wrote:
Those controllers look awful!

They look like a confused dog. What's not to like?
Lonewolves wrote:
What's not to like?

Theft.
Where is that photo from? Is it definitely real?
Mr Russell wrote:
From the summaries from the various gaming sites this sounds like it will be an absolute disaster.

If this helps, I went to Game at lunchtime to get my £20 deposit back.

I love the Nintendo machines, and I take my 3DS everywhere, but this looks like a bigger white elephant than the Wii U.

£280 and no bundled game? Wow. Hardly going to be an affordable mass-market machine like the DS was, and the 3DS was after its first big price cut. (And yes I'm comparing the Switch with the DS/3DS, seeing as it's by default Nintendo's new handheld format.)
Hero of Excellence wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

I love the Nintendo machines, and I take my 3DS everywhere, but this looks like a bigger white elephant than the Wii U.

£280 and no bundled game? Wow. Hardly going to be an affordable mass-market machine like the DS was, and the 3DS was after its first big price cut. (And yes I'm comparing the Switch with the DS/3DS, seeing as it's by default Nintendo's new handheld format.)

The GameCube (£120) and the DS (£130) together cost less than the Switch when they came out.
And as for the cow milking game...

Just what are they doing?
Grim... wrote:
Hero of Excellence wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

The GameCube (£120) and the DS (£130) together cost less than the Switch when they came out.

Adjusted for inflation/strength of the pound? I'm not sure Nintendo are entirely to blame here.
Hell, if games aren't affected by inflation then consoles don't get to be either.
Grim... wrote:
Hell, if games aren't affected by inflation then consoles don't get to be either.

If it helps, Nintendo are trying to charge £60 for some of the games.
Grim... wrote:

Pretty sure the RRP of games have gone up in the last ten years, my friend.
Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:

They've hovered around the £40 - £50 mark for at least 25 years, but sadly I can't find a graph or anything.

We'll just remember how much they cost right now and come back to it in 2022.
Yeah, I can remember paying 45 quid for X-Wing back in 1993, and I think a buddy paid £60 for Streetfighter II on the SNES around the same time.
Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:

They've hovered around the £40 - £50 mark for at least 25 years, but sadly I can't find a graph or anything.

We'll just remember how much they cost right now and come back to it in 2022.

!remindme 01/01/2022
Squirt wrote:
I think a buddy paid £60 for Streetfighter II on the SNES around the same time.

I figured that looking at the release prices for Street Fighter games would be a good way to see how things have changed (or not), but it's really hard to find data.
Going back to my original point about console inflation:
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/10/15/t ... sing-power
Allow me to counter with
Grim... wrote:

Also why didn't you choose the table with a GameCube in it?
Grim... wrote:
Allow me to counter with
Grim... wrote:

Also why didn't you choose the table with a GameCube in it?

I just picked the first one I found, which was five most expensive consoles of all time. It's pretty illustrative.
"Hey, this table might tell a story if we sorted it by any one of several suitable columns"

"FUCK YOU I DON'T WANT TO"
A $299 console wouldn't get close to the top five in that table. Although contradictorily I also think it's too expensive to buy at launch so :shrug:

I don't agree with Hero that it's a 3DS replacement though. It's neither home console nor portable. And the 3DS still has games slated for release this year and next.
Oh yeah, these ones are pretty good actually.

So adjusted for inflation a Gamecube and a DS would be $449.95. So a $299 Switch suddenly seems like a bargain. ;)
Sterling or GTFO.
Grim... wrote:
Sterling or GTFO.

Giphy "archer phrasing":
http://media.giphy.com/media/6mfXJ0oC5vctO/giphy-loop.mp4
Did they actually say anything on the hardware of the console? I've not seen it mentioned anywhere.
https://twitter.com/FioraAeterna/status ... 0506310657

Quote:
very excited to buy a downclocked tegra with motion controls for $300

ouch
Cookie197 wrote:
Did they actually say anything on the hardware of the console? I've not seen it mentioned anywhere.

Nintendo haven't said much else at the reveal but it's been known for a while that the graphics are served up by Nvidia CUDA cores, and by all accounts not that many of them. (Specifically the Nvidia 'Tegra' chipset, probably the X2 variant.)

The Switch looks like it'll be more powerful than the Wii-U, but not by any order of magnitude, with about 33% of the CUDA cores found on a GeForce 950 (a £130 graphics card).

It also needs to be remembered that raw power doesn't tell the whole story, and it depends how 'close to the metal' the drivers can get.

It'll most likely be a capable 1080p console, underpowered compared to the PS4/XBone on the raw stats, but lest we forget that the likes of Mario Kart 8 on the Wii-U look fucking gorgeous in 720p, and are kicked around at a near-flawless 60FPS, so it's not all about horsepower.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
https://twitter.com/FioraAeterna/status/819766960506310657

Quote:
very excited to buy a downclocked tegra with motion controls for $300

ouch

That's entirely missing the point of Nintendo consoles though. You could make the same sort of barbed comment about the Wii-U not being much than an overclocked Wii, but then Nintendo make it do things like Mario Kart 8 and it ceases to matter.

The Switch will stand or fall on its games, Nintendo never duke it out on horsepower or specs, the question that none of us know the answer to yet though, is whether or not the market for their games, especially at £40-£60 for a 'pseudo mobile platform' that costs the best part of £300 in itself, still exists.
Page 4 of 36 [ 1782 posts ]