Nintendo Switch (formerly "NX")
Now public!
Saturnalian wrote:
http://m.imgur.com/a/FSHaK

Someone has done mockups of different colours which look much better than that sodding grey.

It's the classic N64 colour you Nintendo philistine.

-edit- some of those look great though. :D
markg wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
And also banking on the fact that the Star Point scandal has been swept under the carpet.
Nah, they'll just put some shitty Pokemon thing on it and you'll abandon all your principles.

I'm assuming you're referring to the free product created by Niantic. Therefore I'm morally clean. In this instance.
Ninty are declining to comment on whether NS has a touchscreen but discussed some other crap (*yawn* Amiibo). It's a bit of an odd position but let's be fair, their touchscreens have been garbage compared to the standards on mobile devices.

Links at Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments ... r/.compact
Their handhelds have also always had low resolution screens and used low spec processors.

Switch has a presumed 720p display, and uses top end nvidia chips.

This is a change in strategy.

They've also used resistive screens in the past because of stylus centric design, but there's no stylus here. I could conceive of Nintendo using a resistive screen again, but not without a stylus.
Lonewolves wrote:
I just want to play the next Mario and Splatoon games - being able to do so on the move or on holiday or at work is just a bonus.

Do you actually play Splatoon?
lasermink wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
I just want to play the next Mario and Splatoon games - being able to do so on the move or on holiday or at work is just a bonus.

Not anymore. :(
Lonewolves wrote:
I don't think it'll be backwards compatible, sadly.

I was right.
Three hours battery isn't great :/
3hrs battery..

Ugh. Maybe not then. :(
Laura is getting clarification on what that means. Max load or average use. It's come from the Ubisoft source so :shrug:

For comparison a 3DS is 3-5 hours.
I don't have a 3DS so don't have that to compare but I'm sure I used to get way longer than 3 hours out of the DS.
I believe that 3 hours refers to a devkit rather than a final retail console, the final console could have better battery life. Either by the final components being more power efficient, or by it having a larger battery.
Let's also remember that if you want a portable that runs current gen games, it's going to use a lot of power... the most important thing for me is that it uses the microUSB standard. Nintendo don't have a good history with that.
TBH having sad-faced at the 3 hour battery life I have tried to think of the last time I tried to play a game on the go and can't think of when it would be. I'm reactively poo-pooing it because it sounds pants but it would probably be irrelevant to me.
Jem wrote:
TBH having sad-faced at the 3 hour battery life I have tried to think of the last time I tried to play a game on the go and can't think of when it would be. I'm reactively poo-pooing it because it sounds pants but it would probably be irrelevant to me.

You could play it while reactively poo-pooing, that's for sure. You don't take 3 hours doing that.
Lonewolves wrote:
Let's also remember that if you want a portable that runs current gen games, it's going to use a lot of power... the most important thing for me is that it uses the microUSB standard. Nintendo don't have a good history with that.

Aye, or USB-C would be fine too.

I'm a little worried that they very deliberately didn't show a charging port.
To the surprise of literally no-one in the known universe, it seems that the Switch won't exactly be a powerhouse of cutting-edge tech...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... c-analysis
I'm really struggling to see the point of this thing.
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
I'm really struggling to see the point of this thing.

To play Nintendo games on
Jem wrote:
I don't have a 3DS so don't have that to compare but I'm sure I used to get way longer than 3 hours out of the DS.

I could use the da for a week holiday without a charger. 3ds not a charget. Eapecially on sleep mode it doesn't really sleep
lasermink wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

My son got the amiibo for sinterklaas. Opening up the challenges which means we play it again. Lovely game
All is being unveiled tomorrow morning at 4am our time...
That reporting is terrible!
I think they've fucked it.
So it's £280 with paid online for what is very much 'last-gen' tech (at best), and no bundled in game by all accounts, I do not predict great things.

Apparently you get a SNES or NES game every month with the online service (whatever that may cost), although it seems slightly ambiguous as to if the game is only available for that month and then disappears.

Battery life when used as a portable quoted as '2.5 to 6.5' hours.....

Not many actual games to look at either.
Yeah I know, sounds great doesn't it?

I've ordered one.
Bah. I was thinking of picking one of these up so I could get me some Mario, but it looks like that will be too expensive :(
£280 and no bundled game? No thanks.
I had some money from my folks and did a foreigner for one of the businesses I work with the other day so that's this paid for. It's almost like I'm getting it for free!

In my mind, I feel like I missed out on the Wii U and I absolutely love my 3DS so I'm not scared to jump on the Nintendo bandwagon again. This will be great, I'm sure of it.
How much do you get for doing a foreigner in this Post-Brexit world?
Fuck you Nintendo :DD
Curiosity wrote:

Ask Farage.

I still want one, but I'm probably going to wait for the inevitable Christmas price cut and to see what games are out by then.
Hearthly wrote:
So it's £280 with paid online for what is very much 'last-gen' tech (at best), and no bundled in game by all accounts, I do not predict great things.

Apparently you get a SNES or NES game every month with the online service (whatever that may cost), although it seems slightly ambiguous as to if the game is only available for that month and then disappears.

Battery life when used as a portable quoted as '2.5 to 6.5' hours.....

Not many actual games to look at either.

Accessories are pricey as well according to the BBC, £57.50 for a pro controller, additional Joy-Con Controllers are £60 and spare docks are pushing £70.
Yeah, I just saw this. Most of those items aren't a necessity though but I would like one of the pro controllers... I think... Actually, I can see me using this as a mobile platform more than anything so now I think about it, I'm not sure I'll need one.
Yeah, you wouldn't need a spare dock in most use cases. Pro controller is about the same price as the DS4s were at launch.
Lonewolves wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Ask Farage.

I still want one, but I'm probably going to wait for the inevitable Christmas price cut and to see what games are out by then.

Who's to say there will even be a December price cut if the Pound crashes even harder? :(
Hero of Excellence wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Ask Farage.

Who's to say there will even be a December price cut if the Pound crashes even harder? :(

I guess it all depends if they want to sell any or not.
I've got to find £2.6k by the end of the month because tax return so I don't think I'll be getting one any time soon :'(
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will be £50. Gosh.
Lonewolves wrote:

Launch game prices are always inflated, but it will be available for closer to £40.
LewieP wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Launch game prices are always inflated, but it will be available for closer to £40.

It's not a launch game.
The lack of games reminds me that for a good month or so after getting my Wii on launch day I had every game that was out.

And it wasn't that many.
Lonewolves wrote:
LewieP wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

It's not a launch game.

Even moreso then.
Grim... wrote:
The lack of games reminds me that for a good month or so after getting my Wii on launch day I had every game that was out.

And it wasn't that many.

Nintendo have always done that - my first 'launch' Nintendo system was the SNES and there were only 3 titles available - Mario / Tennis / F-Zero
The only Nintendo game I'm super-keen on not missing is the new Zelda, which by all accounts is still coming to the Wii-U.

As such I'm more than happy to do a wait and see with the Switch. (I did a wait and see with the Wii-U as well, eventually jumping in with the Mario Kart bundle.)

The mobile aspect of the Switch isn't really of interest, my phone caters for me perfectly well most of the time (Hearthstone!) and for more serious requirements (like the trip away for my brother's birthday last year) I've got my Shield tablet. (Mostly more Hearthstone, but other stuff as well.)

Nintendo are going to have to do an absolute blinder with the Switch's games for it to get any traction IMO, I'm not sure more Mario Kart games for £40-£50 a pop are going to cut it.
LewieP wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
LewieP wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

It's not a launch game.

Even moreso then.

Nintendo games never seem to come down in price - I hope you're right.
I'd love Mario Kart again.

Maybe I'll get a Wii-U. Are they plummeting in price yet?
Page 3 of 36 [ 1782 posts ]