Everybody's Gone To The Rapture
Reply
As this is now the first post of this thread I'll try and give some quick info.

Everybody's Gone To The Rapture is a PS4 exclusive (not even a PC version planned) by The Chinese Room; whose previous games have included Dear Esther and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs. EGttR is set in the quintessential rural English village of Yaughton, Shropshire and the player is tasked with exploring the village to find out why it's been left completely empty.

Reviews links:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/everybo ... ps4-review (5/5)
http://www.gamesradar.com/everybodys-go ... re-review/ (4.5/5)
http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/10/912011 ... inese-room (7/10)
http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/08/ ... re-review/ (5/10)
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... ure-review (Recommended)

Future Warrior wrote:
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4)


I'm strongly considering letting this jump the queue after I finish the Walking Dead DLC tonight. The only thing putting me off is that a lot of the reviews have complained about the glacial pace of your character being a big frustration and that does bother me in any games where exploration is a big part of the appeal.
Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4)


I'm strongly considering letting this jump the queue after I finish the Walking Dead DLC tonight. The only thing putting me off is that a lot of the reviews have complained about the glacial pace of your character being a big frustration and that does bother me in any games where exploration is a big part of the appeal.


Whereas I'd heard nothing about it other than the title and have now read this review which makes me think i'll pick it up

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/everybo ... ps4-review
I've been looking forward to it for AGES.
Future Warrior wrote:
I've been looking forward to it for AGES.


I've had my eye on it for ages as well but wasn't sure how it would turn out given how much I hated Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs.

It's worth noting as well that there is actually a sprint option that's been accidentally hidden by crap design:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... he-rapture
A negative review of it - but i still want to see it http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/08/ ... re-review/

Mods I wonder if its worth splitting the last 4 or 5 posts out of this into a 'everyones gone to the rapture' thread
zaphod79 wrote:
A negative review of it - but i still want to see it http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/08/ ... re-review/

Mods I wonder if its worth splitting the last 4 or 5 posts out of this into a 'everyones gone to the rapture' thread


Aye, I was literally just reading that and although it hasn't put me off entirely it has spoke disappointingly to some of my worst fears for the game. Hmmm...
I read a bit about it yesterday and it did sound like Dear Ester Mk II with more walking, lots of listening to ghosts and *hnnngh* audio-tapes.

There's nothing that has really made me want to smash my credit card against the screen and, in fact, unless someone convinces me otherwise, I'm staying clear until it's cheap.
Bamba wrote:
The only thing putting me off is that a lot of the reviews have complained about the glacial pace of your character being a big frustration and that does bother me in any games where exploration is a big part of the appeal.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... he-rapture
markg wrote:
Bamba wrote:
The only thing putting me off is that a lot of the reviews have complained about the glacial pace of your character being a big frustration and that does bother me in any games where exploration is a big part of the appeal.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... he-rapture


Come on man, you only had to read four posts!

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
:p
If I had a PS4, I'd consider picking this up solely to see how well they've captured the sense of being in rural Shropshire ;)
GazChap wrote:
If I had a PS4, I'd consider picking this up solely to see how well they've captured the sense of being in rural Shropshire ;)


It's actually a fictional town called Yaughton in Shropshire; I've updated the OP (that's what I get for copying stuff blindly from American websites).
GazChap wrote:
If I had a PS4, I'd consider picking this up solely to see how well they've captured the sense of being in rural Shropshire ;)


Is it a zombie game then?
Oh they did Amnesia as well? Well that's me told. I'm definitely not getting it then.
Saturnalian wrote:
Oh they did Amnesia as well? Well that's me told. I'm definitely not getting it then.


TheChineseRoom only did the relatively weak second game "A Machine for Pigs" which wasn't particularly scary.
Enjoying this so far, although I understand it's meant to be set in the 80s but there's far too much stuff that's wrong for the sense of place to not be as convincing as it could be. Just little things, fixtures and fittings etc. Yeah I'm sure that to an American it will all feel authentic but it doesn't at all to me.
markg wrote:
Enjoying this so far, although I understand it's meant to be set in the 80s but there's far too much stuff that's wrong for the sense of place to not be as convincing as it could be. Just little things, fixtures and fittings etc. Yeah I'm sure that to an American it will all feel authentic but it doesn't at all to me.

Examples? I've been really impressed by the level of detail myself.
The cages with the gas bottles in, the signs outside shops that are the flexible plastic kind with the heavy rubber base, the fence near the start area not a kind you'd commonly have seen back then. Also the road signs don't look right, and the Yaughton village sign. Other than that the detail seems very sparse and copy and paste. I dunno just not blown away by this aspect of the game to the extent I was given to expect.
markg wrote:
The cages with the gas bottles in, the signs outside shops that are the flexible plastic kind with the heavy rubber base, the fence near the start area not a kind you'd commonly have seen back then. Also the road signs don't look right, and the Yaughton village sign. Other than that the detail seems very sparse and copy and paste. I dunno just not blown away by this aspect of the game to the extent I was given to expect.

That feels rather mealy-mouthed considering what they get right. It is absolutely stunning and I've spent ages studying so much of it so far.

The story itself - is ok. I feel like I'm near the end but it's not totally enthralling.
Wait - I've found the first thing that's jarred for me. You don't trip over the guy ropes if you walk too close to tents.
Future Warrior wrote:
markg wrote:
The cages with the gas bottles in, the signs outside shops that are the flexible plastic kind with the heavy rubber base, the fence near the start area not a kind you'd commonly have seen back then. Also the road signs don't look right, and the Yaughton village sign. Other than that the detail seems very sparse and copy and paste. I dunno just not blown away by this aspect of the game to the extent I was given to expect.

That feels rather mealy-mouthed considering what they get right.

I know but it's just stuff that if it was in a TV drama would stand out a mile to anyone old enough to remember the period in sufficient detail.
I must play this game.
Finished. Absolutely stunning, reminiscent of Dear Esther in some ways but much more interactive. Wonderful music. Didn't especially invest in the characters, but I could just wander around the town for hours. Really enjoyed it.
WOT, NO FUCKING PC VERSION?
DavPaz wrote:
WOT, NO FUCKING PC VERSION?

Published by Sony.
Bah. I'll wait.
DavPaz wrote:
Bah. I'll wait.


Until you buy a PS4?
Bamba wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Bah. I'll wait.


Until you buy a PS4?

Probably, aye.
DavPaz wrote:
Bamba wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Bah. I'll wait.


Until you buy a PS4?

Probably, aye.

Present to yourself when Boro get promoted.

They should be in the bargain bins by then.
Future Warrior wrote:
Finished. Absolutely stunning, reminiscent of Dear Esther in some ways but much more interactive. Wonderful music. Didn't especially invest in the characters, but I could just wander around the town for hours. Really enjoyed it.


Just finished this, and yes the music and setting are great. It made a very pleasant change from the usual gaming fare. I don't think I picked up all the village plot lines but very much enjoyed it.
I got this for free with PS+, and I'm playing this now.

I'm about four hours in, and I've just realised there's a run button - which I really, really wish I'd known all along.

Hold down R2, movement fans.
Grim... wrote:
I got this for free with PS+, and I'm playing this now.

I'm about four hours in, and I've just realised there's a run button - which I really, really wish I'd known all along.

Hold down R2, movement fans.

I really wish pressing it had an immediatly noticable effect.
:this:

Obviously I tried all the buttons and nothing changed my run speed, so I assumed there wasn't one.
Grim... wrote:
I got this for free with PS+, and I'm playing this now.

I'm about four hours in, and I've just realised there's a run button - which I really, really wish I'd known all along.

Hold down R2, movement fans.

Which is why I told you, in the Finish 52 thread.
I gave up on this after an hour because I couldn't run.

Not sure if I can be arsed to go back to it now though.
Am I supposed to be doing anything?
Bobbyaro wrote:
Am I supposed to be doing anything?

Wandering around a fairly decent old feeling country village while following a glowing ball that plays a sub-archers plot.
Okay, managed that. Although, the local village garage sold unleaded petrol. Seems Unlikely. Even More unlikely was the pub had a curry night. Shropshire!
Bobbyaro wrote:
Am I supposed to be doing anything?


Nah, it's Friday afternoon. Put your feet up.
Mr Dave wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:
Am I supposed to be doing anything?

Wandering around a fairly decent old feeling country village while following a glowing ball that plays a sub-archers plot.

Is that really it? It's all I've seen so far but I assumed that was an intro... there's no actual game then?
Zardoz wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:
Am I supposed to be doing anything?

Wandering around a fairly decent old feeling country village while following a glowing ball that plays a sub-archers plot.

Is that really it? It's all I've seen so far but I assumed that was an intro... there's no actual game then?

It's a walking simulator - like Gone Home and Dear Esther etc.
Zardoz wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:
Am I supposed to be doing anything?

Wandering around a fairly decent old feeling country village while following a glowing ball that plays a sub-archers plot.

Is that really it? It's all I've seen so far but I assumed that was an intro... there's no actual game then?

No. It's an interactive story.

Although sometimes it's "find the sparkleberry", because the stupid thing has fucked off and you have no idea where to go next.
Of course, you can manage to ignore the ball and go off on your own and manage to miss out on the plot.

As I managed to in the first area, expecting it to be less linear, and to actually have to find clues and pieve things together.
That reminds me that I accidentally missed the end of Frank's story before kicking off the next one.

I'm sure I can find it online.
I played this for 15 minutes and then asked Steam for a refund.
I can see that.

I was ready to give it up in the first village, but I'm glad I didn't.

I might have felt differently if I'd paid money for it wait a minute it's not on Steam! It's a Playstation exclusive.
Well fuck 'playing' this game then.

What a load of sparklegash.
I've got the PS4 to myself tonight, is this worth bothering with? There seem to be mixed reviews in this thread?
Mixed? It seems overwhelmingly negative that it's a load of old gash. Cause it is.
Page 1 of 2 [ 87 posts ]