Taking the Brexit
NervousPete wrote:
I'm off to a BBQ tonight with my Third Floor Gallery buddies, most of whom are Europeans living over here. I know we planned it so it might be more in order of a wake, if the worst comes to the worst, but I'm almost too embarrassed to show my face.

I'll go, naturally. But... gngh.

I felt ashamed this morning as I collected a parcel from the Post Office. The lady in front of me was very pleased at picking up her citizenship papers, and both the Postie behind the counter and I gave her a smile and congratulations but I felt kinda gutted for her too, must have taken the shine off it for her with the result we woke up to.
The next Prime Minister is about to speak now.... He's got his SERIOUS AND LEADERLY Boris face on.

EDIT - He's being all nice about Cameron. He says he's sad that he's stood down. LOL.
One of the blokes at work said the other day that he was going to leave a bit earlier yesterday so he could vote, as, "We need to kick all these fucking immigrants out".

I'm certain that 90% of people voting leave will have also held that view. Nobody can ever convince me otherwise.

I hate this country right now.
On the Eurostar ready for my 'we love you really and are deeply sorry' tour.
Agent Starling wrote:
One of the blokes at work said the other day that he was going to leave a bit earlier yesterday so he could vote, as, "We need to kick all these fucking immigrants out".

I'm certain that 90% of people voting leave will have also held that view. Nobody can ever convince me otherwise.

I hate this country right now.

I agree. Worse, though, is that when that doesn't happen - it can't, of course, for myriad reasons - people who voted on that basis and anything resembling it won't blame themselves for not understanding, but the politicians for letting them down.
MrChris wrote:
Cras wrote:
Well, Japan's economy has been a disaster area for the last decade.

for other reasons. My point was, as you we ll know, that countries of a size with us, and indeed smaller, have been able to achieve trade deals with all and sundry without having to rely on a supranational institution to help them.

Size is not the measure here, it is manufacturing supply and demand. To compare Japan's economy at the time they negotiated their deals with ours now is fucking ludicrous.

Role on Scotsin.
Wales is totally fucked. And they voted for it.
Agent Starling wrote:

I don't think that's necessarily true. There are a set of reasons that leave voters seem to rally behind:

1) Immigration (which is split between racism and a perception of immigrants taking up 'space' in public services)
2) 'Sovereignty' / Grate Britain
3) EU laws and red tape - businesses better out
4) '£350mm/week'

I personally don't believe any of those stand up to any form of solid scrutiny at all, especially once the propaganda/lies promoted by Leave are dissected, but it's certainly unfair to boil this down to a one-issue vote.
Hearthly wrote:
The next Prime Minister is about to speak now.... He's got his SERIOUS AND LEADERLY Boris face on.

EDIT - He's being all nice about Cameron. He says he's sad that he's stood down. LOL.

Agreeing with you, however at least him and Gove were sounding vaguely normal just then, while the odious Farage keeps banging on about "Independence Day" and such.
MaliA wrote:

Absolutely. And what happens to London? Scotland will look to join the EU before we leave, N Ireland may very well join the Republic. But London has been fucked over.
Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Absolutely. And what happens to London? Scotland will look to join the EU before we leave, N Ireland may very well join the Republic. But London has been fucked over.

And don't forget The Glorious South Hams!
MrChris wrote:
I think it’s very unfair to characterise “leave” voters as crazies and morons.

You're right. They're also crusty old farts and massive racists too. :P
Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:

It's not London has been fucked over, it's everyone who voted for Remain has been fucked over by everyone who voted for Leave. I'm just as fucked over as someone who lives in London, likely more so.
Agent Starling wrote:
Agreeing with you, however at least him and Gove were sounding vaguely normal just then, while the odious Farage keeps banging on about "Independence Day" and such.

They did speak calmly and soberly, but part of me couldn't help but think that neither of them were really expecting to win.

You know, a sort of, 'Shit, what's the plan now then?'

Meh, I'm going out for lunch with Mrs Hearthly, and then I will drink ice cold Rekorderligs and play cathartic DOOM all afternoon.

Sturgeon's on the telly now, she'll be after another referendum for Scotland of course.

Anything else we can smash apart whilst we're on a roll?
Hearthly wrote:
Sturgeon's on the telly now, she'll be after another referendum for Scotland of course.

And with good reason. Scottish independence voters were told by the In camp that the only way to stay in the EU was to remain with the UK. :insincere:
Quote:
Meh, I'm going out for lunch with Mrs Hearthly, and then I will drink ice cold Rekorderligs and play cathartic DOOM all afternoon.

Sort of :this:.

I can only get through these first few awful days by eating junk food and crisps and blocking it all out by playing on the Xbox.
Lonewolves wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

And with good reason. Scottish independence voters were told by the In camp that the only way to stay in the EU was to remain with the UK. :insincere:

But will Scotland seriously go for Independence [with oil at $50/b], and accept EU membership with none of the old rUK opt outs and safeguards re. Schengen, banking and most importantly, the mandatory adoption of the Euro...? Like, will they fuck as like. Walking the walk is a bit different to talking the talk.

But what they will do, of course, is massively step up the whinging, whining and grievance to the max; it's a gift to the SNP.
Can't wait. >:(
This has immediately made iRacing even more expensive now. :(
And! We'll never win Eurovision ever again.
Cavey wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

But will Scotland seriously go for Independence [with oil at $50/b], and accept EU membership with none of the old rUK opt outs and safeguards re. Schengen, banking and most importantly, the mandatory adoption of the Euro...? Like, will they fuck as like. Walking the walk is a bit different to talking the talk.

Yes, they will. This election has just told Scottish people 'it doesn't matter what you want while you're part of the UK'. Even just the emotional reaction guarantees an enormous level of support for independence.
Cras wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

Yes, they will. This election has just told Scottish people 'it doesn't matter what you want while you're part of the UK'. Even just the emotional reaction guarantees an enormous level of support for independence.

Mood I'm in right now?
I hope you're fucking right, I really do.

But trust me, they won't. Because money. (Ours to be precise)
Something to be aware of.

If you have a parent or grandparent of Irish descent, you can get dual citizenship and thus retain EU membership.

Same applies to Scotland in the event of Scotland going independent and retaining it's EU membership.
LewieP wrote:

If you have a parent or grandparent of Irish descent, you can get dual citizenship and thus retain EU membership.

Same applies to Scotland in the event of Scotland going independent and retaining it's EU membership.

Scotland has an Irish grandparent...? Phew, lucky escape then!
Fuck me, every day a school day.
LewieP wrote:

Yes. My cousin is currently photocopying all the records. Turner and Hooch qualigy through maternal Grandpa. If we can all dual wield then all good.
So do you lot all have to get new non-EU passports now then?
flis wrote:

Eventually, yes.

Stiff black ones ( :hat: ). Not those vile floppy EU burgundy horrors.
MaliA wrote:
LewieP wrote:

Yes. My cousin is currently photocopying all the records. Turner and Hooch qualigy through maternal Grandpa. If we can all dual wield then all good.

And then myp has to defend me!
LewieP wrote:

Huh, my granddad was a McLeod. I'm on it.

GO INDEPENDANT SCOTLAND
I'm off to tesco in a bit to panic buy croissants, french knickers and those little stubby lagers. Just in case.
DavPaz wrote:
flis wrote:

Eventually, yes.

Oh shit... I have one of those too. It says European Union on the top. Fucksake. And it's expired. Pooh.
LewieP wrote:

Or you just need to be living in Scotland at the time of independence. That's how I plan on getting my Scottish passport. :D
flis wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
flis wrote:

Eventually, yes.

Oh shit... I have one of those too. It says European Union on the top. Fucksake. And it's expired. Pooh.

I thought the Isle of Mann was already not part of the EU?
Hope everyone is going to enjoy changing their car registration plates. Not me though, I've got nice plain ones. ;)
Agent Starling wrote:
Quote:

Sort of :this:.

I can only get through these first few awful days by eating junk food and crisps and blocking it all out by playing on the Xbox.

I took Darwin to the library and we did ART. Then I bought a Pot Noodle on the way home. It's my way of drowning my sorrows because I don't really drink.
I am now in Europe.
Kern wrote:
I am now in Europe.

Tell it we say FUCK OFF apparently
miki wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I have a Dutch friend living in Japan who Tweeted: 'Is it fun, England, to know that all you needed to do to change the whole world was pick up your ball and leave the game? Feel powerful now?'

I feel her anger, towards us, and towards me. My vote did not helpsave the situation, and I'm actually just really upset.
You have a Dutch friend living in Dutchland who doesn't blame you for anything :kiss:

This is really heartening. I'm just expecting everyone in Rurope to hate us even more than I sometimes feel they do, even though I'm sure that I, and my friends here, want this far less than even most of our lovely European friends.
I've been literally staring at Mimi's cute Ladybird and Spider image for two minutes now. Possibly too traumatised to have coherent thoughts that I can post.

So... had been planning on going to Berlin later this summer, and America later in the year. Not sure what's going to be happening with my passport now.
Let's all move to Scotland. I like you guys.
Lonewolves wrote:
Kern wrote:
I am now in Europe.

Tell it we say FUCK OFF apparently

I'm going to play for pity dates.
NervousPete wrote:
I've been literally staring at Mimi's cute Ladybird and Spider image for two minutes now. Possibly too traumatised to have coherent thoughts that I can post.

So... had been planning on going to Berlin later this summer, and America later in the year. Not sure what's going to be happening with my passport now.

Read Dr Renwick's piece. It'seems going to be a long time before we disentangle ourselvea. You should be OK.
Mimi wrote:
Er, who wants to break it to Cornwall?

http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/upd ... exit-vote/

It's turkeys voting for Christmas. Cornwall voted Leave!
Mr Russell wrote:
flis wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
flis wrote:

Eventually, yes.

I thought the Isle of Mann was already not part of the EU?

Yeah we're not members of the EU, we're within the EU customs area though! And I think it's more about freedom of movement within the EU without having to have a visa. We can't settle or work in other EU countries in the same way citizens of Great Britain can could.

I think. If I remember my year 11 geography lessons properly.
Lonewolves wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Eggggzactly!
Lonewolves wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Quite. As much as it pains me to say.

The place is now ruined.
MaliA wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Mimi wrote:

The place is now ruined.

I'll be kind on Cornwall, it's happened everywhere in England with the obvious exception of London (and Manchester to a lesser degree). It happened in the last General Election. People seem to be voting against their best intentions, being overly swayed by what's written by the media.

In fact it almost always happens. It's so depressing.
Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Mimi wrote:

The place is now ruined.

I'll be kind on Cornwall, it's happened everywhere in England with the obvious exception of London (and Manchester to a lesser degree). It happened in the last General Election. People seem to be voting against their best intentions, being overly swayed by what's written by the media.

In fact it almost always happens. It's so depressing.

Cornwall is nothing without the EU monies. It just about kept it alfoat.

This whole thing is just madness.
See also most of Wales
Page 11 of 131 [ 6503 posts ]