Taking the Brexit
The middle class are all at Glastonbury, which might cause an upset.
Grim... wrote:
The middle class are all at Glastonbury, which might cause an upset.

:DD

I shall be postal voting.
JohnCoffey wrote:
I don't ever vote, ever. I will be voting on this though.

It'd be really interesting to see what happens if the Brexit does happen. How it would all unravel.
Fucking. Nightmare.
Zombies eating children on the streets. That sort of thing
I'd rather not find out quite how interesting that is.

:/
MrChris wrote:
Fucking. Nightmare.

ToyST
I will cut you.
MrChris wrote:
I will cut you.

ToyST.
MaliA wrote:
It'd be really interesting to see what happens if the Brexit does happen. How it would all unravel.

It'd massively fuck over Lloyd's (of London) where I do all my work. So I am against it.

Though obviously we get, like, two years to sort out all the shit. It'd just be an annoying two years.
Not sure that 'Vote Remain or the bankers get it' is going to be a winning slogan. But then, neither is a campaign fronted by Messers Farage and Galloway.

Quote:
Though obviously we get, like, two years to sort out all the shit. It'd just be an annoying two years.

I'm not certain the other EU countries will be generous with their terms , but an aggressive deal might end up hurting everyone.
Heh. The eloquent Kate Hoey (who should be leading the leave camp) just noted on the Marr Show that the vote falls after the group stages of Euro 2016.
It'd be awful. Yes. But interesting to see how it would all pan out.
We were talking about this last night. Jokingly, could England be disqualified if we're no longer in the EU, but also will it swing some voters if they've been knocked out (or are still in).
I really hope we get plenty of pity points at Eurovision this year.

And I've just realised I'll be in Berlin that night so will be able to do my bit.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... t-campaign

Sterling down 1.1%, sharpest drop in a year. The economic benefits of Brexit are shaping up nicely!
Also Zac Goldsmith will campaign for Brexit. I moved to London to work in an office staffed predominantly by the best and brightest recruited from across Europe, taking advantage of visaless migration [0]. I look forward to heckling his supporters with this next time I see them handing out leaflets.

[0] Along my row of desks: Greek, me, French, Irish, Italian. Behind me: Polish, Czech, Romanian, and American. 7/9 working here under EU citizenship.
I understand Boris going against the EU as a nakedly political move.

Goldsmith is just fucking bonkers. The City is overwhelmingly in favour of EU integration.
Curiosity wrote:

Goldsmith is just fucking bonkers. The City is overwhelmingly in favour of EU integration.

I agree with this.
I Imagine Goldsmith thinks the stance will help him win the Mayoral Election, so his is presumably a political move too?
Curiosity wrote:

Don't see the difference, Goldsmith is trying to get elected as mayor isn't he? i.e what Malc just said.
markg wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Don't see the difference, Goldsmith is trying to get elected as mayor isn't he?

Sure, but Boris isn't. Boris is trying to become the next leader of the Conservative Party. It doesn't matter what the London elecotrate thinks of him now; now he has to court the party and the UK-wide electorate.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Along my row of desks: Greek, me, French, Irish, Italian. Behind me: Polish, Czech, Romanian, and American. 7/9 working here under EU citizenship.

This is the reason I'm hesitant to plump for out. There's a lot I don't like about the EU, but visaless migration is not one of them. Heck, it should be extended to US, Canadians, Kiwis, Ozzies, Indians etc (and not worry about reciprocity either).
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
markg wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Don't see the difference, Goldsmith is trying to get elected as mayor isn't he?

Sure, but Boris isn't. Boris is trying to become the next leader of the Conservative Party. It doesn't matter what the London elecotrate thinks of him now; now he has to court the party and the UK-wide electorate.

I know but I was replying to Curiosity's point that he could understand Johnson's position as politically motivated but that Goldsmith was "just fucking bonkers" because The City are in favour of integration. Perhaps mistakenly I took The City to mean all the financial fucknuggets rather the general population of London.
markg wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Don't see the difference, Goldsmith is trying to get elected as mayor isn't he? i.e what Malc just said.

What I mean is:

Boris doesn't really care about London any more, so can lose popularity there if it gains him popularity around the country. I don't think he's too bothered either way about the EU thing, but is playing the longer game of trying to become Prime Minister.

Goldsmith is trying to become Mayor of London, which represents The City amongst other things. The City is strongly pro-EU on the whole, so Goldsmith's stance would appear to set him against the electorate he is trying to court. I would also expect Londoners, being a more metropolitan and diverse bunch, to be more likely to vote IN. Which means if Goldsmith is voting OUT as a political move, it seems to be a stupid one.

Though I may have misread the mood/polling of Londoners as a whole.
Curiosity wrote:

Yeah, I was just assuming that this must mean that he's been advised that it'll be a vote winner.
[quote="Curiosity"Goldsmith is trying to become Mayor of London, which represents The City amongst other things. The City is strongly pro-EU on the whole, so Goldsmith's stance would appear to set him against the electorate he is trying to court. I would also expect Londoners, being a more metropolitan and diverse bunch, to be more likely to vote IN. Which means if Goldsmith is voting OUT as a political move, it seems to be a stupid one.[/quote]Not just the financial meaning of City, either. Tech is in that bucket too.

Quote:
I wonder if he'll blame ridiculous house prices on immigrants.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Also Zac Goldsmith will campaign for Brexit. I moved to London to work in an office staffed predominantly by the best and brightest recruited from across Europe, taking advantage of visaless migration [0]. I look forward to heckling his supporters with this next time I see them handing out leaflets.

[0] Along my row of desks: Greek, me, French, Irish, Italian. Behind me: Polish, Czech, Romanian, and American. 7/9 working here under EU citizenship.

It's incredible that the American is probably more secure that the Irish.
DavPaz wrote:

No, because our relationship to Ireland is very different to that with other EU countries. Any Irish citizen resident here has full citizenship rights, up to and including voting in general elections.
Kern wrote:
No, because our relationship to Ireland is very different to that with other EU countries. Any Irish citizen resident here has full citizenship rights, up to and including voting in general elections.

True, I'd forgotten that. I weaken my stance to 6/9 (dude.)
Kern wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

It's called the Common Travel Area.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Travel_Area
The Ireland Act 1949 states that Ireland is "not a foreign country".
Gah, Boris is just so transparent. He'll probably think he felt the hand of history on his shoulder - but it was probably just Simon Cowells' casting agent for the 2021 season of "I'm an X-Factor Brother Get Me Out of Here".

People scoffed when I said June 2016 for the Brexit Ref months ago but hey, what can I say. :D
It's all good; the "nasty" elements of the Tories are peeling away and we're going to be left with the Centrists and Patricians in power. (Plus, we have meaningful and useful changes in the EU, which again people said couldn't happen etc. etc.)

It'll go more or less the same way as the Scottish Ref, 56/44-ish. At the end of the day, too many people with too much to lose (just like then, also), and when push comes to shove, eh?
Cavey wrote:
People scoffed when I said June 2016 for the Brexit Ref but hey, what can I say. :D

Stop telling us, start telling Ladbrooks.
Grim... wrote:
Cavey wrote:
People scoffed when I said June 2016 for the Brexit Ref but hey, what can I say. :D

Stop telling us, start telling Ladbrooks.

Heh. Sadly I don't put my money where my mouth is. :p
It's free consultancy, man. :p
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Along my row of desks: Greek, me, French, Irish, Italian. Behind me: Polish, Czech, Romanian, and American. 7/9 working here under EU citizenship.

Interestingly (eh?) that's not representative of the most recent year's immigration, though it may be over time - the business section of the Sunday Times (hide it away from where the real debate happens) quoted a net increase of 360,000 over the last year, 201,000 of that was from outside the EU. I doubt that proportion will get the coverage it deserves.
Cavey wrote:
It's all good; the "nasty" elements of the Tories are peeling away and we're going to be left with the Centrists and Patricians in power. (Plus, we have meaningful and useful changes in the EU, which again people said couldn't happen etc. etc.)?

I genuinely hope you're right about that, Cavey - seeing the right wing of the Tories (which includes Johnson based on his history) marginalised would be quite a positive development for British politics generally. I'll openly admit that I don't like Tory governments, but we're going to have them in a two-party system as a matter of course, so when they do occur I'd rather they weren't switched to nasty mode.

(As for the changes, I'll admit again that I don't like them, and they are not what I'd prefer to see done, but am relieved that they are significantly less unpleasant than some of the ideas floating round last June.)
Hunt and Osborne are still both in the 'IN' camp, so I won't be celebrating too wildly.

I think it might be closer than Cavey predicts, but then again his prediction skills have been far better than mine on political matters!
My mother made the mistake of saying she was in the out camp on the phone the other day. I hope she's happy with a couple of treatises on macroeconomics and sovereignty and the rule of law for Mothers' Day
Cras wrote:
My mother made the mistake of saying she was in the out camp on the phone the other day. I hope she's happy with a couple of treatises on macroeconomics and sovereignty and the rule of law for Mothers' Day

LLOL
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I moved to London to work in an office staffed predominantly by the best and brightest recruited from across Europe,

Do you find it very difficult fitting into that environment?
Mimi wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I moved to London to work in an office staffed predominantly by the best and brightest recruited from across Europe,

Sick burn, yo.
Mimi wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

I'm beginning to think you're employed by Google simply to source amusing images...
Google Image Search is just a frantic Gaywood and a load of scanners.
Bamba wrote:

I won't believe it until he provides images...
Bamba wrote:
a frantic Gaywood

Is there another kind?
Mimi wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

BOOM!
Bamba wrote:

I could never aspire to be one of the Nine Erics.
Page 2 of 131 [ 6503 posts ]