Taking the Brexit
Kern wrote:
But, frankly, the party needs a long spell in opposition.

Unfortunately, so does the opposition. I'm hearing a lot of positive reports about this young political hotshot called "Don't Know" though. They're polling really well for "who should be Prime Minister." Maybe we need to take this third way.
I'd be perfectly happy for Nicola Sturgeon to swoop down and conquer England. The Jacobins almost managed it, after all.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Kern wrote:
But, frankly, the party needs a long spell in opposition.

Unfortunately, so does the opposition.

:DD
Can't believe you missed all the shenanigans in Parliament last night, Kern. Emergency debate motions! Points of Order to the speaker than went on for hours as testy MPs pleaded with him for a path forward! Someone grabbed the mace! Thank god for Parliament live.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Can't believe you missed all the shenanigans in Parliament last night, Kern. Emergency debate motions! Points of Order to the speaker than went on for hours as testy MPs pleaded with him for a path forward! Someone grabbed the mace! Thank god for Parliament live.

Honestly, I turn my back for five minutes....
Nothing sums up British politics better than the phrase "emergency debate"
Unbelievable that David Davis, probably the person who has come out of all of this looking the absolute worst, is a genuine contender for Prime Minister.

There really is no limit to failing upwards for rich white guys in government.
The dude taking the mace was amazingly British. He picked it up, wasn't really sure what to do with once he had it, people were telling him to put it down, he looked around a bit and wandered a few feet, before some nice lady came and asked him to give it to her, which he did with no fuss, and then he was politely asked to leave the chamber.
Anyone who thinks David Davis should be considered for anything other than disgraced retirement needs to remind themselves of this:

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2018/07 ... he-swagger
I like the Daily Mash.

Attachment:
connecers.JPG
Re: Davis. Calling student loans a graduate contribution system would be a tiny, but important, clarification, not a change. Unless he means the maintenance loans, which are much more problematic and actual loans. I saw him in the flesh years ago and he made an impression, much more than now. I thought Brexit was killing him, but perhaps it was more that he was getting out of shape on the lunches and lack of work. At any rate, he doesn't seem in condition to be having any sort of ambition.
Rumours are swirling that Brady has 48 letters in hand. In a perverse way, I almost hope that Johnson gets it, fails to deliver any sort of improved deal, and goes down in flames in a Parlamentary vote for Remain. At least we’d get to throw his political career into the grave, which would be something.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Rumours are swirling that Brady has 48 letters in hand. In a perverse way, I almost hope that Johnson gets it, fails to deliver any sort of improved deal, and goes down in flames in a Parlamentary vote for Remain. At least we’d get to throw his political career into the grave, which would be something.

https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 29#p908029
MaliA wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

reading that thread back is depressing
Tory party no-confidence vote a-go-go!

Because right now is a really good time for the so-called governing party to embroil itself in turmoil.

I can't see any outcome being positive for the remain and second referendum sides however. If she wins, those MPs who were wavering behind voting against the deal might feel more inclined to fall in line with the PM now she's asserted her authority and seen off a challenge. If she loses, well, there's probably more chance of Elvis doing the tango with Lord Lucan on 'Strictly' than a remainer even getting onto the ballot.
At least the final vote will go to to a young, progressive, Europhile party membership.

No, wait, the other one.

Or they might just anoint Boris, since it worked out so well when they did that with Theresa.
Attachment:
98508EAC-A630-4C9B-A805-08F3C298EAA7.jpeg

Some well proof-read press release work there.
They're probably too busy wanking themselves into a vitriolic racist frenzy to concentrate on small details like spelling.
Chairmam makes it sound more like a Mumsnet committee.
I'm sure he can spell fine. It was probably just the typist who messed up when transcribing it from the piece of human skin that he'd originally written it on using an orphan's blood.
Using 'Chairman' rather than 'Chair' is one of those things that people get needlessly worked up about. 'Chair' is easier, avoids any gender issues, and saves a whole syllable.
Maybe Sir Graham is gender fluid, don't presume his gender, you bigots!
Have the Hard Brexit types considered the impact of leaving the customs union on satsuma supplies?
New post on Politics.co.uk pointing that it's not clear if a new Tory leader could be able to command a majority in the Commons. Christmas Bonus for the DUP!
Hearthly wrote:
At least the final vote will go to to a young, progressive, Europhile party membership.

No, wait, the other one.

I wouldn’t even call Labour’s membership “young, progressive, Europhile”. Ones round here are all pro-Brexit pensioners.
That's ace... and slightly scary at the same time.
Trooper wrote:

Hilarious
Lonewolves wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Hilarious

Thanks
If she loses tonight, I would give her a billion arbitrary points were she to stand up in the Commons and say that she'll call the whole Brexit thing off and ask for the support of every MP who agrees, as she'll take the blame.

A boy can dream.
This really hasn't been the best couple of weeks to read a book on the French Revolution.
She should stand up and tell them that they are welcome to the fucking job if they want it.
Malc wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

reading that thread back is depressing

I probably wouldn't have been so blasé had I known the outcome.
Normally an almost 2/3rds vote in favour is a pretty safe result, but to have over 100 MPs against you in a minority government just doesn't come across as so great a win as it should be.
Oh, and no spoiler tags.
Rees-Mogg saying she should resign anyway. I think he should respect the will of the people.
JFC

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/stat ... 8956030978

What a cunt. Why aren't the media reporting the vote results in percentages, for fuck's sake?
Also, what a cunt.

I've done a good job until now skim-reading about what's happening just to keep a toe in, but right now I'm almost shaking with anger.
I am now on Fucking Twitter, so I can follow people and see their 'Tweets'.

Obviously I'm not following this arsehole, but he has popped up on the feed of people I am following, who are taking the piss out of him, of course.

Currently I am only following these people, who else is good? (IOM Police don't have much to say about Brexit, but they are good for road updates.)

Attachment:
mad.JPG

Attachment:
follow.JPG
Welcome to Fucking Twitter.

Be sure to follow Rob Manuel, who is a consistently entertaining presence. Outgrew B3ta a long time ago.
He still does B3ta, though.
Grim... wrote:
He still does B3ta, though.

He does, but you can't tell from his Twitter 'content'.
I've met him a few times. I lent a hand to build B3ta, way back in the day.

Edit: Maybe I only met him once, actually
A b3tarchitect.

What was/is your b3ta username? I never had one, 100% lurkage.
Forget Brexit... You need to be following me for gems like this.

https://twitter.com/TheXboxVision/statu ... 0770798593

Findus Fop wrote:
A b3tarchitect.

What was/is your b3ta username? I never had one, 100% lurkage.

"Grim...", I think. "Grimdotdotdot" maybe.

I haven't posted for years.
TheVision wrote:
Forget Brexit... You need to be following me for gems like this.

https://twitter.com/TheXboxVision/statu ... 0770798593

Indeed, also essential. BTW, (and I confess to being a Nignoramus), but who is Simon and why did Nintendo think that would be a good thing to call a character in one of their games?
Simon's from Castlevania.
Grim... wrote:
Simon's from Castlevania.

Ah that makes sense. I've been watching Netflix Castlevania (which everyone should*, it's ace) and there are some appallingly named characters in that e.g Trevor

*Children very much shouldn't.
Page 90 of 131 [ 6503 posts ]