DOOM
Doom, Doom, Doooooo-um.
So this is damned cool:
https://youtu.be/_hY3mVw2p3E
That's awesome.

Don't like the melee animations though.
That is kind of cool but am I alone in thinking it's pretty crap that an easter egg in a game is being officially revealed in detail on Youtube by the developers? The joy of these things is just stumbling across them yourself.
That's really nice. I thought "oh that looks like..." and then the man said E1M2 and I WAS PLEASED. Game looks good, but I dislike the shimmering monsters.
Bamba wrote:
That is kind of cool but am I alone in thinking it's pretty crap that an easter egg in a game is being officially revealed in detail on Youtube by the developers? The joy of these things is just stumbling across them yourself.

It is a great help to people like me.
Shame that it doesn't also include some of the original DOOM monsters, sprites and all.
I have seen over the years reference to "sprites" and their being in some way not the same as graphics, or somehow they behave differently to "some other sort of graphical representation of character". what are they and how are they different?
Bobbyaro wrote:
I have seen over the years reference to "sprites" and their being in some way not the same as graphics, or somehow they behave differently to "some other sort of graphical representation of character". what are they and how are they different?

Sprites are 2D objects inserted into a scene, basically. So in the original Doom the levels are created in 3D, but the enemies and items are 2D sprites (which is why they always face you when you circle around them).

Of course you can have 2D sprites in 2D scene as well (so in Monkey Island, Guybrush is a sprite).
Bobbyaro wrote:

A sprite is an image. Often the sprite is made up of lots of different images than allow it to animate, like in a flick book.

Here's a load of images of Mario - you'd call this image a "sprite sheet". The computer can choose which bits to display on the screen.

3D models are more complex, and consist of a bare model that has a texture wrapped around it to make it look pretty. Rather than being animated in a traditional sense, a 3D model moves computationally, its various bits and pieces shifting around being handled by a rendering engine.

Here's a 3D model, with and without its texture.

All right, show off.
Lonewolves wrote:
So in the original Doom the levels are created in 3D, but the enemies and items are 2D sprites (which is why they always face you when you circle around them).

Obv that bit isn't true. Enemies can and sometimes do face away from you. (Objects don't though, I think.)

Yeah, sorry. It's been a while. :)
Is that right? I thought they faced different directions while they walked about, but once they saw you they always faced you?

Although, like Myp, it's a long time ago.
Grim... wrote:
Is that right? I thought they faced different directions while they walked about, but once they saw you they always faced you?
They're almost always attacking you, which involves facing forward, but if you get them to start fighting each other you can sometimes see their backs.
Some of them also start with their back's to you, and if you are so inclined you can try and walk past them as they react to noise and line of sight
Cool, thank you. :)
Grim... wrote:

Nah.

You could get them attacking one another, in which case they'd be facing one another. Or the pink demons, which would run at you in zig zag style. Or when they couldn't reliably path to you. Or...
Mr Dave wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Nah.

You could get them attacking one another, in which case they'd be facing one another. Or the pink demons, which would run at you in zig zag style. Or when they couldn't reliably path to you. Or...

There's been a lot of chat about this lately. This was posted recently.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/201 ... tyishard/1

And people were talking about how they could not beat the game on the hardest setting because there wasn't enough ammo (not nearly enough apparently). Then some one mentioned what you said there, about how you needed to get them to kill each other.
I am reading "Masters of Doom" at the moment which is about Romero and Carmack. It's pretty interesting but a bit in awe of them at times. Worth getting second hand at least.
JohnCoffey wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Nah.

And people were talking about how they could not beat the game on the hardest setting because there wasn't enough ammo (not nearly enough apparently). Then some one mentioned what you said there, about how you needed to get them to kill each other.

Well, the original Doom, I don't remember ammo shortages being much of a problem, although you may not have the type you wish for. When they added nightmare mode, there's not enough by definition - the monsters respawn and the ammo doesn't. The initial numbers of monsters in nightmare and ultraviolence were the same though.
Mr Dave wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Nah.

Well, the original Doom, I don't remember ammo shortages being much of a problem, although you may not have the type you wish for. When they added nightmare mode, there's not enough by definition - the monsters respawn and the ammo doesn't. The initial numbers of monsters in nightmare and ultraviolence were the same though.

In ultra violence and nightmare, the key was to hoarde your ammo for the more powerful weapons, and just use the weaker ones as much as possible, once you got the chainsaw, use that as much as possible. I am fairly sure I 100% completed (kills, secrets and items) nightmare (Not in one sitting mind) and you really needed to 100% the items to 100% the kills.
Mr Dave wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Nah.

In ultra violence and nightmare, the key was to hoarde your ammo for the more powerful weapons, and just use the weaker ones as much as possible, once you got the chainsaw, use that as much as possible. I am fairly sure I 100% completed (kills, secrets and items) nightmare (Not in one sitting mind) and you really needed to 100% the items to 100% the kills.
Love the fact they are using Refused's 'New Noise' on the advert for this. :D
Romero and Carmack had a Kickstarter project up for a new game they were working on, but cancelled it.

I wonder if that's because all of the headline marketing around it made it sound as if it was John Carmack when it's actually Adrian Carmack involved, who I've never heard of before but was a part of id Software (which I also recently learned is pronounced "idd" rather than "eye-dee")
GazChap wrote:
(which I also recently learned is pronounced "idd" rather than "eye-dee")

What? Seriously?

I thought that was common knowledge.
Yep. It's the Freud id.

That's why it's never capitalised
Except that they don't capitalise it when it's at the start of a sentence, which is broken and wrong.
I had a chance to meet John Romero at the last retro revival event in Wolverhampton. I was going to get him to sign Daikatana on the N64 but for some reason... I didn't.

I regret that now.
Lonewolves wrote:
GazChap wrote:
(which I also recently learned is pronounced "idd" rather than "eye-dee")

What? Seriously?

I thought that was common knowledge.

It probably is, but I've never heard it spoken out loud until I saw that DOOM easter egg video.
Yeah, I'd only ever seen it written and just assumed then even after I did know it I kept on forgetting and calling it I.D. for ages.
GazChap wrote:
Romero and Carmack had a Kickstarter project up for a new game they were working on, but cancelled it.

I wonder if that's because all of the headline marketing around it made it sound as if it was John Carmack when it's actually Adrian Carmack involved, who I've never heard of before but was a part of id Software (which I also recently learned is pronounced "idd" rather than "eye-dee")

According to a message they sent to existing backer it's because they weren't getting as much interest as they'd hoped and they've put that down to the fact the Kickstarter doesn't have a gameplay demo for people to see. So they've cancelled it while they work on that and will reinstate when there's more to show.
DavPaz wrote:
Yep. It's the Freud id.

That's why it's never capitalised

OR IS IT?
This dropped through the door today. Shall have blast later on.
First impressions are good. Very smooth and fast and it looks good too.
Yeah, very much enjoyed what I've seen so far.
Apparently nuDoom has cutscenes.
Not really much that I've come across, some hologram things that appear and start talking about stuff but only briefly and someone occasionally talking through the intercom. Most of the story seems to be optional i.e. stuff you can read if you can be arsed. You spend pretty much all of your time shooting at things.
LewieP wrote:

:shrug:

Most games have cutscenes. If you don't want doom to have a story, feel free to skip them.
Mr Dave wrote:
LewieP wrote:

Most games have cutscenes. If you don't want doom to have a story, feel free to skip them.

2019 Dave: Apparently Dark Souls 4 has cutscenes. Sacrilege!
Most games aren't Doom.
It sounds to me like the sort of thing that someone who has already decided to be a moaning cunt about it has found to moan about. Total non-issue.
markg wrote:
Not really much that I've come across, some hologram things that appear and start talking about stuff but only briefly and someone occasionally talking through the intercom. Most of the story seems to be optional i.e. stuff you can read if you can be arsed. You spend pretty much all of your time shooting at things.

Is it fun?
Oh yeah, pretty scary too at first. Not played enough to give more of an opinion than that though really.
Restarts when you die are a little tardy would be my main criticism so far. It could put me off replaying at a higher difficulty.
Lonewolves wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
LewieP wrote:

2019 Dave: Apparently Dark Souls 4 has cutscenes. Sacrilege!

Dark Souls does have cutscenes.
LewieP wrote:
Most games aren't Doom.

Doom was also on a 2d plane, sprite based and low resolution graphics etc etc. We can't accept anything that doesn't fit that template, right?

If you can skip them, it's a nonissue.
markg wrote:
Oh yeah, pretty scary too at first. Not played enough to give more of an opinion than that though really.

I am tempted by it, but might wait until October.
Why October, specifically?
markg wrote:
Why October, specifically?

Mixture of reasons, really:
No man's sky is out at the end of June, I want to playthrough Until Dawn again, beer needs to be made and there's some more Deadwood to watch.

Which is a bit of a bugger as I quite like the idea of doom. So maybe I will buy it and postpone Until Dawn.
Page 2 of 14 [ 674 posts ]