DOOM
Doom, Doom, Doooooo-um.
I have a quick question.

Is that Optimus Prime I can hear telling me what to do?
TheVision wrote:
I have a quick question.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1799527/fullc ... _=m_ttfc_3

Don't think so
TheVision wrote:
I have a quick question.

No, it's your wife.
Zardoz wrote:
TheVision wrote:
I have a quick question.

No, it's your wife.
Grim... wrote:
No, it's your wife.

But she's the housekeeper not the wife ?
Has anyone tried any Click Map levels yet? I tried a popular one that was meant to be a recreation of E1M2 but it wasn't particularly inspiring.
I haven't yet. I want to play through the main game first. I've just picked up the double jump boots so I reckon I've got a way to go yet.
Yeah I think I played that same one, it was ok but I didn't play any more as it was showing me monsters and weapons I hadn't yet seen in the main game.
zaphod79 wrote:
Grim... wrote:
No, it's your wife.

But she's the housekeeper not the wife ?

I thought it was his wife - Maria, or something.

[edit]You're quite right, it was Maria the housekeeper. Willy needs to get a bit more stern with his staff, I think.
Fight like hell
Run like the wind
Mantle like a motherfucker
For the kill-three-Possessed-with-one-barrel challenge on The Foundry, I initially missed it. I was getting nervous because I'd done most of the level and was only fighting tougher enemies. Suddenly, three of them appeared. I had to kite them halfway across the level to some leftover barrels, them kite them back into a group, then it was explodin' time.

It was awesome! This game is superb!
I'm playing it through again on Ultra Violence and have that challenge yet to do on the same level but ISTR the three barrells near the sealed security door end up with a lot of cannon fodder next to it once it's opened.

If I've got that wrong and they are all imps or something there will be tears.
It's quite likely I missed some chances early on due to ineptitude.

I'm currently sweating on levelling up my Dazed And Confused rune (25 death from above glory kills.) I also get mighty analysis paralysis about every upgrade. So far I have both shotgun mods, the stun mod for the plasma gun, and the homing mod for the rocket launcher. I refuse point blank to leave any level without having every secret and upgrade point.

Shield Cunts can fuck right off.
I generally found that each weapon had one mod clearly better than the other.

Except for the new gun. Both had uses there.
I like both the shotgun mods, though.
I ditched the single barrel shotgun as soon as the assault rifle appeared. Quite underpowered.

Double barrelled, however, was my default ready weapon from the point I got it.
I've missed loads of stuff (only really using the map now I'm at the foundry) but I'll be back to mop things up later.

The shield shits are a right pain (chainsaw works well) and only just met the hell knights last night, eek!

Like the mini missile mod on the assault rifle. Need more guns though.
Zardoz wrote:
The shield shits are a right pain (chainsaw works well) and only just met the hell knights last night, eek!

Grenades.

That is all.
I'll bear it in mind (when I don't have any and I'm running away).

Like the original Doom I guess you'll blast through the second time round with knowing what's ahead.

I do like how the game forces you to play like a maniac to stay alive.
Zardoz wrote:
only just met the hell knights last night, eek!
These went from terrifying to manageable quite quickly for me. As long as you have elbow room they're quite easy to kite around while peppering them with tripe-shots from the shotgun. (Well, that's what I do, anyway.)
Tripe-shots?

Eclectic.
Mr Dave wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

Grenades.

That is all.

Explosive shotgun bounced off a nearby wall is also useful. Having said that these are much more of a pain on UV so if the grenade doesn't get them first time they can eat whirring blade.
Rattled through the 4 nests in the Foundry late last night but the fight after flicking on the cooling fans did me in. Two Hell Knights and no ammo had me mincing around in a figure of eight. :DD
Zardoz wrote:
Rattled through the 4 nests in the Foundry late last night but the fight after flicking on the cooling fans did me in. Two Hell Knights and no ammo had me mincing around in a figure of eight. :DD

That was a tough one. Loved it.

I got a bit further last night and now have a rocket launcher and a plasma gun.

I love this game.
The plasma gum when fully upgraded is brilliant, get the thing that lets you let out a blast of excess heat and then get mastery so that it recharges even when you aren't firing, really useful for sweeping away the little fuckers so you can concentrate on the big ones.
I got the Plasma gun just before the last nest... I think. Like the rate of fire but feels weak without any upgrades on it.
Zardoz wrote:

What difficulty level are people on? On Hurt Me Plenty, I did that fight on the second go, and only spannered the first one up with a silly mistake that allowed a Hell Knight to corner me.

In general, I'm finding the fights just right: at the end, Doomguy is on 50% or less health, and my heart is going, but I'm not dying too often (one serious gripe there: the bloody reload times. I'd be up for something a little bit harder if the reloads were instant. As it is, I could imagine UltraViolent being a real slog.)
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

What difficulty level are people on? On Hurt Me Plenty, I did that fight on the second go, and only spannered the first one up with a silly mistake that allowed a Hell Knight to corner me.

In general, I'm finding the fights just right: at the end, Doomguy is on 50% or less health, and my heart is going, but I'm not dying too often (one serious gripe there: the bloody reload times. I'd be up for something a little bit harder if the reloads were instant. As it is, I could imagine UltraViolent being a real slog.)

Hurt me plenty. I typically have about 20% health before i punch things to death.

Agree on reload times. I stopped last night after 5 goes at a nest and it was annoying.
Hurt me plenty. But I didn't find any fight hard enough that I died more than a glove.

Gravity, on the other hand, was a trouble when trying to reach one particular secret. (secret wasn't very secret. However, the trick of getting to it, very secret)
Mr Dave wrote:
Hurt me plenty. But I didn't find any fight hard enough that I died more than a glove.

Ok that was pretty funny.
Lonewolves wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

I refused to correct it just for you.
Mr Dave wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

I refused to correct it just for you.

:luv:
I thought the hardest fight in the game was the last one in the penultimate level.
Pundabaya wrote:
I thought the hardest fight in the game was the last one in the penultimate level.

Was that
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The one on the train/platform area

If so, I'd agree with you.
But I did only die once on that too.
Hurt me plenty.

Foundry done, hell Knights taken out with assault/plasma until stunned then Tupped.

Weirdly they're not causing me problems really on the last few encounters.

Two rune challenges done now too.
The rune challenges are the one thing in single player I didn't much like.
Mr Dave wrote:
The rune challenges are the one thing in single player I didn't much like.

There's not much margin for error on them is there? Especially the one that had you

Jumping after those green things. That was hard.
Summoners are the new cunts.
Zardoz wrote:

Chainsaw. Or locked on rockets.
Caved this morning. It's Prime Now-ing it's way to me as I type.
Grim... wrote:
Caved this morning. It's Prime Now-ing it's way to me as I type.

If you don't like it then I don't think I can trust anything else in my reality.
Mr Dave wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

It's their swanning off that does my head in.
Zardoz wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

It's their swanning off that does my head in.

Which is why I recommend quick kill weapons. The latter is rather recommended by the game, too.
I think we're at about the same point in the game. I was quite glad I'd chosen homing rockets for one of my upgrade points.
I went that way too. Not actually used them yet though.
It is one of the 4 upgrade paths I'd recommend prioritising, certainly.
What are the other 3? I started upgrading the plasma rifle last night based on this thread.
Oh, I got the super shotgun last night. Click... click... boom.

Current strategy involves lots of stunning enemies with the plasma rifle, because I am spamming its mastery upgrade.

I'd be curious to hear people's thoughts on how best to spend Praetor points and Argent cells, too.
Hmm, I've just read that you can earn extra points by simply replaying an already-completed mission from the main menu. That might help overcome my analysis paralysis, because at least if I feel massive regret about not persuing some particular upgrade then I can grind a level, earn more points, and pick something else.
Page 5 of 14 [ 674 posts ]