USB Stick me dooo
I'm after a new USB stick, as my current one is a little slow and far too small (250MB).

Ideally I want it to be 2GB+ but, more importantly, I want fast read speeds. I use my current stick to store my emails (huge)/browser and a good chunk of work, so I can work from anywhere with a computer.

I'm not sure of my budget — feel free to suggest anything. I've had a brief look, but I trust you big nerds more than the nerds of unknown size on various shop sites. Not to mention the sites don't tell me how fast something is.

Cheers!
Er... Any USB2 one?
2 gig should set you back about £5.

Um... This one.
Unless you're really married to the "tiny stick" idea :hat:, consider one of the 2.5" portable HDs. 160gb would cost you £50 and be comfortably quicker than any stick.
I'm still waiting for advice about what TV to buy. I'd like to complain to the management.
ComicalGnomes wrote:
I'm still waiting for advice about what TV to buy. I'd like to complain to the management.

Eddie Izzard.
Grim... wrote:
Er... Any USB2 one?

Um... This one.

Mind you, it's 4GB big brother is only £9.
Grim... wrote:
Er... Any USB2 one?

Um... This one.

I've experienced quite a variety of different speeds, so just going by connection isn't something I want to rely on. Cheers though, Grim...

Dudley wrote:
Unless you're really married to the "tiny stick" idea :hat:, consider one of the 2.5" portable HDs. 160gb would cost you £50 and be comfortably quicker than any stick.

I'd rather stick to the Stick idea, because they fit in that little coin pocket in a pair of jeans quite comfortably. I'll think about a small drive, but I'd rather go for something small and flash-based.
Grim... wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Er... Any USB2 one?

Um... This one.

Mind you, it's 4GB big brother is only £9.

Nice and cheap. I think I paid about £25 for this [250MB] one a few years ago. I love how storage prices drop.
Ah, sorted. I've ordered a Kingston DataTraveler HyperX 4GB drive. Good thing I'm not paying for it.
Dudley wrote:

I'd like to question the idea that accessing a magnetic HDD over a USB-IDE/SCSI/SAS/SATA interface is faster than directly accessing a solid state drive.
Dudley wrote:

Where do you get these, Dudley, sir?

Also, i know it says 2.5", but how big is it when you factor in the casing, etc? As big as a sandwich? As big as a CD case? AS big as a jam jar lid?
I've got a Sandisk Cruzer Micro 4GB. I've managed to do all sorts of stupid things to it and it still works fine (it's attached to my keyring).
At work I use my mobile phone like a memory stick over Bluetooth. I've always wondered why there aren't any more storage solutions that use Bluetooth. I know it's slow and there's the power thing but the fact you don't have to plug anything in must be a plus for some sort of application.
Craster wrote:
Dudley wrote:

I'd like to question the idea that accessing a magnetic HDD over a USB-IDE/SCSI/SAS/SATA interface is faster than directly accessing a solid state drive.

Every usb stick I've ever owned takes fucking ages when there's multiple files, syncToying to my mp3 player or stick is hell, the hard drive shoots through them. (600MB of little text files normally).

The interface doesn't seem to be the problem here.

Quote:

Also, i know it says 2.5", but how big is it when you factor in the casing, etc? As big as a sandwich? As big as a CD case? AS big as a jam jar lid?

They're laptop hard drives in a little case.

Very roughly the whole thing is as long as my middle finger and as wide as my pinky is long :)

Waits for penis joke.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/142577 is my one. of them.

8 cm x 12.6 cm x 1.5 cm apparently.
How are those sorts of drives in terms of shock-proofness? I didn't trust the old ones after losing masses of (fortunately backed-up) data from a small drop.
Dudley wrote:
Craster wrote:
Dudley wrote:

Every usb stick I've ever owned takes fucking ages when there's multiple files, syncToying to my mp3 player or stick is hell, the hard drive shoots through them. (600MB of little text files normally).

The interface doesn't seem to be the problem here.

Quote:

They're laptop hard drives in a little case.

Very roughly the whole thing is as long as my middle finger and as wide as my pinky is long :)

Waits for penis joke.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/142577 is my one. of them.

8 cm x 12.6 cm x 1.5 cm apparently.

That looks great, Dudley. I'm looking or something to just bung all of my pictures on. I won't be carrying it around but small and tidy is always a boon when you are short on space, and that looks just teh tickt.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. :)
If you're not carrying round you will get a hell of a lot for your money with a full size drive.

Disadvantage, needs mains power. Advantage, you'll get 500gb instead of 160gb for another that many mimimonies.
Really?

I didn't know they got that big :S

I had never heard of one the size that you are talking of, let alone larger.

Thanks, Dudley, I will have a more extensive look around :munkeh:
Meems - I have 2 of these

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/128465

Obviously bigger units. (12.5 cm x 20.4 cm x 3.6 cm) instead of (8 x 12 x 1.5) or so and needs mains power. But so much more space for the same price.

There's video of it!
I have a 250GB external 3.5" drive (a drive I bought myself, in an IDE/SATA enclosure that I bought from Maplin)

It has 16GB of free space left.

I dropped it on the floor from chest height the other day.

It still works.

I am amazed.
Dudley wrote:
Every usb stick I've ever owned takes fucking ages when there's multiple files, syncToying to my mp3 player or stick is hell, the hard drive shoots through them. (600MB of little text files normally). The interface doesn't seem to be the problem here.
It's complicated. It all comes down to exactly what flash they've used inside the stick. Some of them are very quick, and as Myp hinted, there are good reasons that a solid state drive should outperform a drive with moving parts, but that is not always the case.

I did some heavy database performance testing once on some flash based drives (Baydel Maracites) that would knock your socks off. In fact:
The Reg wrote:
He added that some servers may not be able to deliver enough I/Os to fully stretch the Flash storage. "The latest QLogic HBA is the only one we've found fast enough, and for our demo we had to use Veritas as Windows mirroring was too slow," he said.
We were the ones who showed them the Windows software RAID wasn't up to it.
Dudley wrote:
Meems - I have 2 of these

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/128465

Obviously bigger units. (12.5 cm x 20.4 cm x 3.6 cm) instead of (8 x 12 x 1.5) or so and needs mains power. But so much more space for the same price.

There's video of it!

They are still quite small, I could fit one of those on the shelf easy peasy. I don't think I will ever have 500GB of stuff, ever, or even 160, but I guess there is not harm in having on that is bigger than you will use, as long as it doesn't mean that they are noticably slower.

We are not supposed to believe that the girl in that video is actually at that warehouse, are we?
Mimi wrote:
Really?
I didn't know they got that big :S
I had never heard of one the size that you are talking of, let alone larger.
Thanks, Dudley, I will have a more extensive look around :munkeh:

Eesch. I've got a 2TB external drive at home. 500GB drives are properly cheap nowadays, too.

I remember when I was impressed when it was £1 a GB, now it's like 10p.
Grim... wrote:
Eesch. I've got a 2TB external drive at home. 500GB drives are properly cheap nowadays, too.

I remember being impressed at my fathers work for having a 1Gb Drive. Which was about the size of a car.
I remember when my university finally bit the bullet and bought a Mac edit suite to replace its hulking great U-Matic system. As I recall, the hard-drive was 4GB in total, partitioned into four. The case was about the same size as my Mac Pro, and the cost of the system (which also included a 180ish Mhz Mac, Media 100 and a rather spiffy Beta-SP deck) wiped out the department's entire budget for the year.
I have handled magnetic core memory. The piece I had was about 5cm squared, weighed a few dozen grams, and stored three bytes.
When I used to repair PCs, the older chap I worked with would often amuse me with stories of him fixing hard drives when he first started.
He used to get in them.
Mimi wrote:
They are still quite small, I could fit one of those on the shelf easy peasy. I don't think I will ever have 500GB of stuff, ever, or even 160, but I guess there is not harm in having on that is bigger than you will use, as long as it doesn't mean that they are noticably slower.

We are not supposed to believe that the girl in that video is actually at that warehouse, are we?

The one I have at work sits on top of the PC fine, the one at home is indeed on a shelf. If it's not going to move often then that's the way to go, never turn down extra free space. You've also got the option that it's not THAT hard to just grab the PSU and drive to take with you.
Dudley wrote:
Quote:

The one I have at work sits on top of the PC fine, the one at home is indeed on a shelf. If it's not going to move often then that's the way to go

Vote:Dudley.

Clearly the serial killer.

BTW I have an Iomega external drive which works directly off USB or firewire power. It's not tiiiny but is only slightly thicker than my iPhone if I need to take it anywhere. 250 or so gigabytes, I think.
Indeed, that's the same type as the WD one I linked, you can get them in up to 320 for more cost.
Mr Dave wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I remember being impressed at my fathers work for having a 1Gb Drive. Which was about the size of a car.

I remember visiting one of the offline editors at Granada and he was banging on about his editing system. It all slotted together in a massive metal structure and he was bragging about how he was 'one attachment away... from one... tera...byte!'

Of course at the time (2005) we were all 'ooooh!'
throughsilver wrote:
away... from one... tera...byte!'

Of course at the time (2005) we were all 'ooooh!'

Heh, when I started uni, one of the lecturers said something along the lines of there being an estimated 3 terabytes in use in the entire world ever. Most of it owned by the phone companies, or something.
And honestly, it wasn't all that long ago.

A quick google reveals "They say that this number reached 281 billion gigabytes (281 exabytes) in 2007,"
My Nan's mind boggled once when I was taking photos of her and my grandad at their 65th anniversary a few years ago and she asked how much it cost to take so many pictures. I explained that they were stored on my SD card, and took the card out to show her. She just kept shaking her head and saying 'I don't know, I don't know, the things they can't do..."

To be honest I am still doing the same with the 2GB micro SD that I have. I keep putting it on the end of my finger and going 'cor, 'tis indeed amazing'.
Mimi wrote:
To be honest I am still doing the same with the 2GB micro SD that I have. I keep putting it on the end of my finger and going 'cor, 'tis indeed amazing'.

I did that when I first saw Gamecube discs, though I've no idea what their capacity is.
Mimi wrote:
My Nan's mind boggled once when I was taking photos of her and my grandad at their 65th anniversary a few years ago and she asked how much it cost to take so many pictures. I explained that they were stored on my SD card, and took the card out to show her. She just kept shaking her head and saying 'I don't know, I don't know, the things they can't do..."

You can get a good sandisk EIGHT gig one of those for £20 delivered now.

As I said to Fellow excellent Jamesoff once, "Isn't living in the future marvellous?"
nynfortoo wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I did that when I first saw Gamecube discs, though I've no idea what their capacity is.

I can fit more games on a C90 than you can on your Gamecube disc. Think on.......
chinnyhill10 wrote:
I can fit more games on a C90 than you can on your Gamecube disc. Think on.......

Probably, but sticking games on a moped is hardly fair competition.
Ouch, the generation gap was just too far to jump.
It is amazing. When you stop and think about it, the speed at which the technology has increased is staggering.
Just look at the box allowing you to view this forum, and think about what it's actually doing... 50 years ago this would probably be called witchcraft.
Grim... wrote:
Just look at the box allowing you to view this forum, and think about what it's actually doing... 50 years ago this would probably be called witchcraft.

Mine is witchcraft.

Grim... wrote:
It is amazing. When you stop and think about it, the speed at which the technology has increased is staggering.
Just look at the box allowing you to view this forum, and think about what it's actually doing...

Or if you can't be bothered to think, just run task manager.
Grim... wrote:

I sorted out a new desktop for my brother this week (Q6600, 4gb, 9600GT, 1tb HD etc etc for £800) and of course job one was to stick the crysis demo on.

Crikey.

So that's Doom plus less than half a generation of human advancement is it? I'm giving them abother 20 years to get me a holodeck otherwise they're slacking.
Page 1 of 1 [ 44 posts ]