P.T. Demo
Teaser for a new Silent Hill
Played this fucker last night in the dark with my headphones on. I have to say, I was absolutely shitting myself. :DD
What is this, what format and where can I have a go?
Saturnalian wrote:
What is this

An 'interactive teaser' which reveals the upcoming Silent Hill game, called "Silent Hills", from Metal Gear guy Hideo Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro; starring Norman Reedus (Darryl from The Walking Dead).

Quote:
what format

PS4

Quote:
and where can I have a go?

In your house.
Bamba wrote:
An 'interactive teaser' which reveals the upcoming Silent Hill game, called "Silent Hills", from Metal Gear guy Hideo Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro; starring Norman Reedus (Darryl from The Walking Dead).

I'm listening...

Quote:
PS4

I have one of those!

Quote:
In your house

That's where I live! Excellent, I'll get on it.
I watched a walkthrough of some some screeching americans playing this. Graphics are gorge, but that doesn't matter right? Some proper sphincter loosening moments, too.
The last thing you want to do is watch a walkthrough first. It's great. I think that horror is the genre where games are far more effective than film can ever be. Films make me laugh or cry all the time but scared? Not since I was a kid.
I don't have a PS4, so I was kinda stuck :)
markg wrote:
The last thing you want to do is watch a walkthrough first. It's great. I'm think that horror is the genre where games are far more effective than film can ever be. Films make me laugh or cry all the time but scared? Not since I was a kid.

TRUFAX. That's why the genre has been so popular, no doubt. I love a good scary game like Outlast was, init.
I forgot about this; then I remembered about this.

And it was pretty darn good for all of 5 to 8 minutes. I was pretty scared until I hit a wall of frustratingly poor signposted events. Two in particular.

At first you're boxed into an area until you trigger an event, then suddenly you're allowed to roam an endless looping corridor without any idea what you've missed, or even if you've missed anything because SURELY this "game" would stop you endlessly wandering. Turns out you need to walk back and forth between two areas without a hint of a clue that you've got to do that. I triggered it entirely by accident after much frustrating roaming. I'd forgot all about being scared by now and that next bit would crush my interest.

You have to find, yes, a tiny peep hole in a wall. In an endless corridor. Suddenly dimly lit in a red hue. That blurs when you move through it. How'd I find it? Fuck knows. And it took me ages. Far too long. I was totally fed up by now.

Thank god it finished shortly after.

A quick check reveals there's a secret ending where that guy from The Walking Dead shows his grill looking exactly like the guy from The Walking Dead. You'd swear it WAS that guy. Not the actor. The character. Why didn't they change his haircut or something. Or the Daryl scowl.

Anyway - signposting is a necessity in a scary game. Look at Outlast, I had no problem going where I was meant to be funnelled because it's well designed. This ain't. It's presumably designed by the guy whose name pops up at the end Hojima. I hate that guy. He thinks he's so clever. Bloody guy ruining games etc etc etc.
I actually finished this this morning. Took me a few attempts because I'm a massive fucking pussy and kept getting about ten minutes in before realising turning it off would be a more welcoming prospect than wondering just what the fuck would happen next time I wandered down that fucking corridor.

Also, that radio with it's sudden "...look behind you. I SAID LOOK BEHIND YOU." half way though a news broadcast can proper get fucked.
I watched a YouTube video last night of someone playing a remake of this on the PC and it looked very faithful to the original. It's free to download and if you want a go I'd do it quickly before Konami shut it down:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... ble-teaser
Did I not mention this? I thought I did.

I tried it, it's pretty close to the original. There are bits missing, and you feel too tall, but it does a good job.

It has VR support, too. Lulz nope.

If Konami do shut it down, hit me up for a copy.
The VR support looked a bit ropey because (a) you could stick your head through closed doors and (b) the Norman Reedus character model was essentially hovering constantly behind your back and if you moved at all quickly you could see it glowering at you.
Bamba wrote:
The VR support looked a bit ropey because (a) you could stick your head through closed doors and (b) the Norman Reedus character model was essentially hovering constantly behind your back and if you moved at all quickly you could see it glowering at you.

And that's why I'll never try it. Not because it would kill me or anything. I could 100% take it. Yup. I just don't want the bugs.
Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]