NEW International Track And Field
On the DS..
Has anyone got this yet?

Been playing it for a short while and it's pretty damned good. Takes most of the events from Track and Field, and Hypersports, and mixes it up through a touch stylee interface (instead of pummelling the buttons, you "rub" left to right...)

The amazing thing about it is just how polished it is for the online part- http://www.newtrackandfield.com allows you to login, setup a team and enrol for new events (they've got a swimming based one starting on the 19th).

So.. has anyone got and does anyone fancy setting up a team!?!?!?
I've already got Sonic and Mario at the olympic games which uses the same rubbing mechanic. Why should I get this (I can't get my DS online because it doesn't support wireless security)?
Can you only rub the screen or can you change the controls to button bash instead? I'm just kind of worried about the potential damage to the touchscreen that all the rubbing might cause.
You couldn't in Sonic fwiw.
Yep, you can use the old-skool "button-mashing" method if you prefer (thank god, I tried the stylus controls and they were horrible IMO).

The only annoying thing is that it uses the "A" and "B" buttons to run/build power and the ""X" button to perform throws/jumps etc.

With the DS Lite's buttons being so small and close together, it would have made much more sense to use "Y" and "A" for running (etc.), and either "X" or "B" for performing other actions.

Anyway, I'm really liking this so far. A very nice mixture of old-skool gameplay with modern graphics and amusing character design.
It's got 24 events too (some sites say 30 so perhaps there are some secret events I don't know about - either way this is a good value package).

Quite like the updated version of the Vangelis "Chariots Of Fire" tune that accompanies the menus too.

Only downside so far (apart from the button choices mentioned above) is that the controls for a few of the events aren't explained properly (anyone worked out how to do the triple-jump perfectly yet ?).
Oh, and whilst the updated skeet-shooting is quite fun, I still prefer the original version from the Hyper-Sports arcade game.

Regardless, this is how a modern update of a classic arcade game should be done IMO.

This and Soul Bubbles (check it out if you've not heard of it - it's rather lovely) are the best new releases on the DS for a while IMO.
Haven't tried it yet,but I vaguely recall reading ages ago that you had to blow into the mic for a special speed/power boost during events - which makes me want to not play it at all.

Edit - wikipedia makes it sound much, much worse:

"In addition, the game will also feature uses for the DS' dual screens and you can shout encouragement for your character via the microphone to give them an extra boost. The louder you shout, the bigger the boost."

Anyone confirm/deny?
Zen-Chan wrote:
"In addition, the game will also feature uses for the DS' dual screens and you can shout encouragement for your character via the microphone to give them an extra boost. The louder you shout, the bigger the boost."

Ah, so the old blowing trick will work on this. Excellent. Either that or turn on the vacuum cleaner while playing.
Or play Sonic and Mario ;)
moora wrote:
you "rub" left to right...)

Makes a change from "waggling your stick" I suppose. Fnur.
I'm amused by the thought of someone playing this on the bus, frantically scratching from side to side while bellowing.
:( I do a lot of my Ds'ing on the bus/train
I've had to give up on playing games that use the mike after the odd looks I got during the "firestarting" bits of "lost in blue"
NITAF (see what I did there) is decent enough , but for the life of me I find it impossible to get to full speed with the buttons (which I can do with ease on the original version) and theres no way I'm knackering up my screen with frantic stylus scratching.
I really wish it let you use the L and R buttons to run though.
Mr Bob wrote:
I really wish it let you use the L and R buttons to run though.

Just reading that makes me curl my fingers in pain.
Dimrill wrote:
Wankers cramp makes me curl my fingers in pain.

You want to cut down mate.
I haven't played Sonic and Mario on the DS, so I can't compare it. However, if you like DT's Decathlon, Track and Field ,Hypersports, the Summer Games games from days of yore, you'll love this.

Just the way it's been put together takes you back to 8 bit gaming, but the good thing is that they've made it completely online enabled!
IGN have reviewed it and scored it a very solid 8.5/10.

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/882/882572p1.html

That's about right IMO.

I didn't know about the microphone blowing, and judging by my game-time so far, it's not necessary in the slightest.
Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]