Britishness
examples of
(ssh...)

Britishness. What is it? Will there be a 'Britishness Day' brought into effect in coming years. What really does define our* culture?

I was chatting with someone whilst in Sweden, about British comedy, and its television in general. That's started me thinking. Imagine that you were given the task of making a Time Capsule of 20th Century Britain. Imagine that it it had to be entirely in the form of television. What would it be? I consider these as obvious 'Duhh' examples, but obviously that's just IMO, you gommo.

Not simply 'What was the best telly' - I don't think there's a place for Red Dwarf, despite it being very funny and memorable and popular. I'm thinking of British culture not just as an example, but as a reflection. Or more simply - we don't all live in space, you mongol**.

The World At War
Porridge
Blackadder Goes Forth (and perhaps all of it)

I've never properly seen Boys from the Blackstuff, but everyone else agreed it should be there. I blame repeat schedules.

Anyone else...?

* apologies to foreigners and terrorists
** given the reknowned lust of Genghis Khan, I think I can safely assume that you are all mongols. :ninja: :munkeh:
Only Fools and Horses, maybe. Keeping Up Appearences is an obvious one.
Dad's Army, Yes Minister/Prime Minister, Auf Wiedersehen Pet, Two Pints of Lager, Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads?.
Grim... wrote:
Only Fools and Horses, maybe. Keeping Up Appearences is an obvious one.

Amazingly, neither of those came up! There were a few others mentioned, but I personally disagree, so I've not mentioned 'em, for bias n' stuff.

But yeah. Hmm. Keeping Up Appearances is a fucking obvious one. I am chiding myself and 30 drunken developers as I type :D OF&H too, but... I dunno, because I personally can't quite relate to it, or find it as believeable. The ludicrous accents for example - surely nobody really speaks that way.

Joking. Anyway, just thought it interesting to consider :)
Steptoe & Son, definitely. Abigail's Party?
In the interests of being modern - Spaced.
The Office, Phoenix Nights, The Good Life.
This is Britishness:

And This:

And this:

That is all.

Nb: The third is a hideous slur.
No, this is Britishness.

and this

and this

KevR wrote:
No, this is Britishness.

I though Grim.. had lost the beard? Or is that an old photo.
A miniaturised Stephen Fry. And nothing else.
The New Statesman.
*stares pointedly at own avatar*
Dangermouse, The Day Today and that Top Of The Pops where Kurt Cobain said 'drugs' and everyone went mental.
Ooh, the Paedogeddon episode of Brass Eye. Absolutely classic satire.
I'm straddling the century divide here:

One Foot in the Grave
Father Ted
Black Books
Fawlty Towers
Yes Minister/Prime Minister

for starters - all on telly at some point, and this is the stuff you want to get in there ;)
It's not TV but you NEED at least one collection of I'm sorry I haven't a clue.

From TV, some "A bit of Fry and Laurie".
I see it's very nearly the end of the thread but there's just time to play a round of Drunken Chav film club.

"Bring me the Heinekin of Alfredo Garcia"
Del Boy falling through the bar.

Actually, Dad's Army is the most British thing ever.
"The whiskeys of eastwick"
"The Burberry Identity"
"Drunky Dancing"
"When Harry threw up on Sally"
Little and Lager
I don't know about your lot but my overriding impression of british society isn't tea and crumpets, it's binge-drinking twatfaced hooligan types, and I'm sure the continent agrees with me too. :spew:
Transit Vans wiv flags on em.
Dudley wrote:
I see it's very nearly the end of the thread but there's just time to play a round of Drunken Chav film club.

Things to Do in Dagenham When You're Dad
8 Cans of Stella in a Duffle Bag
Kramer vs Kramer vs Social Services
Asbolutely
ComicalGnomes wrote:
I don't know about your lot but my overriding impression of british society isn't tea and crumpets, it's binge-drinking twatfaced hooligan types, and I'm sure the continent agrees with me too. :spew:

Mine is of people who are far too keen to just bang on about whatever passing thought flutters into their mind, giving them a chance to go 'Hey! I've got an opinion! I'm angry about things too! We should hang whichever bastards!' instead of reading thread subjects properly.

@Dudley: congratulations, you've found a new alternative to destroying a thread with puns, how very worthwhile.

Now then. Dad's Army of course. This is one of the ones that 'we' thought of too (not myself). Me, I'd say the theme tune alone is required knowledge for any child or immigrant, as is the ability to reproduce the title sequence with pen and paper.
You're very precious about the purity of your threads, aren't you CUS?

You wanted an example of britishness - I gave you one. Booze Britiain is a great TV show.
ComicalGnomes wrote:
You wanted an example of britishness - I gave you one. Booze Britiain is a great TV show.

Booze Britain wasn't on in the 20th century. You also didn't list it on the previous page, you just remarked on how angrily furious you are. "Ooo, it's close but it's not quite right."
I don't think Father Ted is allowed - isn't it Irish rather than British? Or was it made in Britain and merely set in Ireland?

When did TV start in Britain? I get the feeling that the first 20 years of TV was just light opera and men in suits reading from the FT.
CUS wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:

Booze Britain wasn't on in the 20th century. You also didn't list it on the previous page, you just remarked on how angrily furious you are. "Ooo, it's close but it's not quite right."

You'd better ban me from the thread then for non-compliance with your strict set of posting rules.

I didn't remark about any furious anger either, perhaps you are confused.
Rising Damp?
Oh, and Common as Muck.
Blur's Parklife.
ComicalGnomes wrote:
You'd better ban me from the thread then for non-compliance with your strict set of posting rules.

I didn't remark about any furious anger either, perhaps you are confused.

Ban? I can't ban, I'm not a mod, perhaps you are confused.

Sir, I asked a question. You have not answered my question, but did however use the opportunity to bemoan drunken shitty, Britain. If sir does not realise that sir does this rather often, and that therefore I am good naturedly ribbing sir about sir's quirks and habits, in the spirit of good humour - and in a vein which I have observed many others also observing within sir's good self - then I apologise for the confusion. Nonetheless, I smile mischeviously and note again in confirmation that oh-ho-ho, sir does have a bit of a temper on him, but that this is good and healthy, and not a thing to be demeaned.

or
I asked 'What's 20th Century Britain - but on telly!'. You said 'Pissed people'. Spacker. But I love you. I wore your t-shirt all across Sweden you know, trufax.
There were pissed people on TV in 1999 too.

I wouldn't say I have a temper, as that would imply a loss of control. Rather I am seething with calm anger that'll one day see me calmly maim many people.

A better subject would have been 'Best of British TV pre 2000', as I read 'Example of, Britishness' and think 'LOLZ DRUNK PEOPLE K'.
I would put in -

An early episode of Coronation Street.
The blood donor episode of Hancock.
All of Simon Schama's History of Britain.
The final episode of Blackadder.
An episode of Britain's Hardest Pubs.
All of Our Friends In The North.
Doctor Who: The Daemons.
An episode of Keeping Up Appearances.
The Spanish Inquisition episode of Monty Python.
An episode of One Man and His Dog.
The Germans episode of Fawlty Towers.
The Hellfire Club episode of The Avengers.
ComicalGnomes wrote:
A better subject would have been 'Best of British TV pre 2000', as I read 'Example of, Britishness' and think 'LOLZ DRUNK PEOPLE K'.

But, "Best of British TV pre 2000" doesn't imply Britishness, in the way that I described in my first post sir; which is why Red Dwarf wouldn't qualify for example. I'm sure you see what a dreadful pickle I am in. Anyway - carry on, please.

@Rev Owen: how specific I love it :D
The Rev Owen wrote:

Terrifying show, although I must admit that while watching an episode of that I was idly musing about how it would be advantageous to possess two or three hand grenades that I could chuck into said pubs, and help society along.
ComicalGnomes wrote:
The Rev Owen wrote:

Terrifying show, although I must admit that while watching an episode of that I was idly musing about how it would be advantageous to possess two or three hand grenades that I could chuck into said pubs, and help society along.

I've been to a couple of them. Weren't that bad.

Also, killing the poor is a bad thing.
*slaps forehead*
myoptika wrote:
*slaps forehead*

Oh yeah, Benny Hill.

Also: Crufts, Gardeners World, The sky at night and anything with David Attenborough.
Whiteley-era Countdown.
TV News, featuring such delights as:

Poll Tax Riots
Gazza crying at the footy
Thatcher resigning
Blair's New Labour winning the election
Portillo's face as he lost his parliamentary seat (not really a defining moment in Britishness, but a personal favourite at the time)

Obviously those are all towards the end of the denoted time period, but they're ones that spring immediately to mind.
Anyone mention the Fast Show yet? I think it encapsulates a lot of Britishness quite well. Any episode will do obviously.

Tempted to say Life on Mars a bit as well.
Alan Partridge.
Squirt wrote:
I don't think Father Ted is allowed - isn't it Irish rather than British? Or was it made in Britain and merely set in Ireland?

You beat me too it
Irish Actors - set in Ireland - Written by two irish guys.
It was produced by a British company (hattrick I think)though , mainly as it was unlikely to get done in Ireland.
Oh hello by the way.
Page 1 of 2 [ 67 posts ]