The PC Gaming Topic
Preferably weird indie shit.
Nope.
I already own most of these but the latest Humble Weekly Sale might be of interest to some

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

$6 (about £3.50) for

Hotline Miami
Super Hexagon
Little Inferno
Natural Selection 2
Pixeljunk Monsters Ultimate
Critter Crunch

+ Soundtracks

Worth the £3.50 for the Super Hexagon soundtrack on its own !
Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is 50% off on Gamer's Gate at the moment; so that's £6.50 vs the £13 on Steam.

http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-AAMFP/am ... e-for-pigs
I was looking at this just yesterday as [someone where on the internet] said that Outlast was "just as scary" as Amnesia so I had to have a look what this was as Outlast was pretty bloody awesome.
My shortlist of games I'm going to get once I finish my first Dark Souls 2 walkthrough is looking like this:

Shelter (purchased for cheaps)
The Stanley Parable
Papers Please
Depression Quest
Gone Home
FTL

In about that order (depending on how I feel after Dark Souls 2).

Dark Souls.

Saturnalian wrote:
I was looking at this just yesterday as [someone where on the internet] said that Outlast was "just as scary" as Amnesia so I had to have a look what this was as Outlast was pretty bloody awesome.

Machine for Pigs is actually the sequel which has much higher production values but is generally agreed to be less scary than the original Dark Descent and it's likely that [someone where on the internet] was talking about the original there.

You're in luck in that respect though because the Gamer's Gate sale covers the original as well so you could pick it up for £3.24:

http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DDB-ATDD/am ... ent-bundle
Saturnalian wrote:
In about that order (depending on how I feel after Dark Souls 2).

Dark Souls.

Pay the 60p and get Super Hexagon (before Wednesday night) - if your so in love with DS2 you could try it again in about 2 weeks when the PC version comes out (its about £19 in various places to pre-order now)
You have purposefully not corrected [someone somewhere] you spaz, but I know that you know that that's a typo. ;)

Anyhoo, sweet, I'll get that D to tha L'ed an' all.

Steam-App-a-go-go!
Bamba wrote:

You're in luck in that respect though because the Gamer's Gate sale covers the original as well so you could pick it up for £3.24:

http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DDB-ATDD/am ... ent-bundle

Quick question, since that's not actually Steam (obv.), but is that a download or physical copy? I can't figure it out. :/
Bamba wrote:
Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is 50% off on Gamer's Gate at the moment; so that's £6.50 vs the £13 on Steam.

http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-AAMFP/am ... e-for-pigs

I refuse to buy that as I couldn't get the first game to work, either on PC or Mac partitions. :(
Saturnalian wrote:
You have purposefully not corrected [someone somewhere] you spaz, but I know that you know that that's a typo. ;)

I actually just copy and pasted it straight out of your post and never even noticed it was gibberish; my brain must've auto-corrected it during my initial reading of your post.

Saturnalian wrote:
Quick question, since that's not actually Steam (obv.), but is that a download or physical copy? I can't figure it out. :/

Gamer's Gate is download only so it'll definitely be that. They do actually sell stuff that then activates on Steam/Origin/whatever but this isn't one of those so will just be a download from their site.

British Nervoso wrote:
I refuse to buy that as I couldn't get the first game to work, either on PC or Mac partitions. :(

The new one is much newer (of course) and, as I say, has much higher production values so the chances of hassle are hopefully less. I think it uses the same engine as the original so anyone who's concerned could try out the demo of the original game on Steam as a test bed of sorts maybe?
I think it's the fact it uses OpenGL and I couldn't get that working. From what I remember it opens up but nothing responds.

It was a pain in the arse, anyway. I don't have the patience to endlessly fiddle around though, so it got binned in the end.
Secrets of Raetikon looks like it might be interesting. It's certainly pretty enough and I like the idea of an open world explore-y puzzle-y type experience.
That's very pretty with some nice art work, but I couldn't see how it was supposed to be played. Presumably with a mouse...
Saturnalian wrote:
That's very pretty with some nice art work, but I couldn't see how it was supposed to be played. Presumably with a mouse...

The relevant Steam page says it has full controller support. The manual linked from that same page has a section about the controls which recommends a controller but also gives KBAM mappings if you want to use that.
LewieP wrote:

Score-chasing neon shooter; it doesn't seem all that remarkable?
Bamba wrote:
LewieP wrote:

Score-chasing neon shooter; it doesn't seem all that remarkable?

Generally my tastes in shooters is very close to Lewie's so i'll check this out later tonight :-)
It's just really well put together, and it's only a couple of quid.
It's strange how you can be playing a game - sorta enjoying it, sorta wondering what it's about, sorta thinking that you're going through the motions - when something happens and you're thinking "This isn't going to end well for these badgers, is it?"

Shelter is a strange, clunky game.

And short. I'm not sure it lasted an hour.

It's basically one of those art vs. game things, right?

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Was I upset when the badger got washed away? No. Did I go looking for him? You bet your ass I did.

And all because I'd spent 20 minutes finding food for the little buggers to eat. 20 minutes work literally washed away in a moment.

And then.

I very rarely say things out loud to myself when I'm at home on my own but I did hear myself say "Oh jesus, I've left two of them to burn to death". Only to see two baby badger running out of the burning bush with puffs of baby smoke trailing behind them. It was a good moment.

But, let's face it, it's a bit boring really. And if you don't like animals you'll probably just start laughing at the bleakness of it; a bleakness that you can't emphasise with because you're obviously a deranged sociopath. You might feel, if you're a normal animal loving person like me (and therefore normal), that the end was sad but, let's face it, we've seen worse on any wildlife programme.

I wanted this to be the type of 'game' that could provide a narrative and feeling that only a videogame can do, but after the credits had shuffled along and the post-game reveal was, um, revealed I was left thinking that, yes, animals kill animals for food - obviously - and that I'd seen more affecting stuff from an Attenborough documentary.

I'm glad it was as short as it was as there wasn't enough game in it to tell a story that, one day, only a videogame could tell.

About badgers.
How much did your eyes melt from the badger-o-vision?
I quite liked the pastel colours and strange blankets of foliage.

I thought it suited the game extremely well; a juxtoposition of kiddie art and the brutal nature of, um, nature if you like. It was just a bit ropey and the camera was rubbish.

I couldn't understand why they couldn't have made it gamepad compatible either. It only used two buttons. Three if you count the sneak action, which I don't, cause there was never a time when you had to use it. It didn't even feature in the brief tutorial, to my recollection!
Papers Please Purchased.
I heard about this one ages and it looks interesting if repetitive in it's current form. Viscera Cleanup Detail:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... ess-review
Saturnalian wrote:
Papers Please Purchased.

You will love it!
British Nervoso wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:
Papers Please Purchased.

You will love it!

This is utterly brilliant. Like, seriously good. I do love it.
Yeah it is the best game.
And now I have Surgeon Simulator 2013 for dirt-cheaps from Humble Bumble. PC gaming is the tits.
Saturnalian wrote:
And now I have Surgeon Simulator 2013 for dirt-cheaps from Humble Bumble. PC gaming is the tits.

Let me know how many minutes of time Surgeon Simulator occupies you for. I've not played it, but I keep putting off buying it because I think I'll play it for 2 minutes before going "is that all?"
Pod wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

Let me know how many minutes of time Surgeon Simulator occupies you for. I've not played it, but I keep putting off buying it because I think I'll play it for 2 minutes before going "is that all?"

It's tough as nails, but I keep going back, thinking I'll one day perform a successful operation.
Its been part of many bundles but if your a new PC user and have not picked it up you can get "The Binding of Isaac" for 80p from greenmangaming :

http://savygamer.co.uk/2014/04/16/the-b ... pcmac-80p/

Quote:
When Isaac’s mother starts hearing the voice of God demanding a sacrifice be made to prove her faith, Isaac escapes into the basement facing droves of deranged enemies, lost brothers and sisters, his fears, and eventually his mother.

The Binding of Isaac is a randomly generated action RPG shooter with heavy Rogue-like elements. Following Isaac on his journey players will find bizarre treasures that change Isaac’s form giving him super human abilities and enabling him to fight off droves of mysterious creatures, discover secrets and fight his way to safety.
"I" am a new PC gamer!

This is from the Super Meat guys, isn't it?
Saturnalian wrote:
"I" am a new PC gamer!

Correct

You can also pay 60p for "The Basement collection" from them :

http://savygamer.co.uk/2014/04/16/the-b ... mac-60p-2/

Quote:
The Basement Collection is a compilation of 9 award winning indie games by Edmund McMillen, creator of Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Isaac. All of the games featured in the collection have been revamped and updated, featuring bonus chapters, new music, art and other extras.

The Basement Collection includes:

Aether (an exploration adventure game)
Time Fcuk (a dark puzzle game)
Spewer (a physics based platformer)
Meat Boy (the super meat boy prototype)
Grey Matter (an anti shooter)
Coil (an experimental game)
Triachnid (a physics based spider sim)
The collection also features 2 secret unlockable games and tons of unlockable comics, sketch books and even never before scene stock footage from Indie Game: The Movie.

And if you want more meat its only £2.60 : http://savygamer.co.uk/2014/04/16/super ... inux-2-60/
Saturnalian wrote:
"I" am a new PC gamer!

It is. Or at least one of them.

I wouldn't say it's as good, mainly as the controls aren't anywhere near as nice.
I was interested in Secrets of Raetikon because I really enjoyed And Yet It Moves and had heard quite a bit of chat about Raetikon. That EG review though makes it sounds like they've bogged what could have been a brilliant exploratory experience down in bullshit 'combat' and needless frustration so I'll pass.
Fract OSC is a fantastic sounding explore-em-up with a sinister undertone and lovely aesthetic. It's definitely going on The List for me.
Again not indie related but still a bargain - Amazon.com have Titanfall on PC reduced to $37 which is about £22

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DB9JYFY

To buy you need a US address associated with your amazon account but they dont send anything there (you just get a code to punch into Origin) - I'd suggest signing up for Borderlinx to get a valid US address but you can just as easily put anything you like in there as long as its valid.
Bamba wrote:
Fract OSC is a fantastic sounding explore-em-up with a sinister undertone and lovely aesthetic. It's definitely going on The List for me.

Ta!
Lifeless Planet looks gorgeous and is all explore-y and mysterious which, with it's cold war sci-fi hook, is more than enough to grab my interest straight away. It's only in early access right now so fuck actually paying for it but I'll be keeping an eye on it to see if it lives up to it's promise.
I've been out most of the day and all I want to do is play 'Papers, Please' some more.
Quick word on Element4l:

Firstly, the name of the game is dreadful. Geez.
Secondly, it's 360 controller compatible. Nice.
Third, it's about keeping the momentum up rather than a puzzle game in the style of that, um, puzzle game from the Amiga days

(...bloody hell, what was that called... Oh, someone will know it. You played a blob and went through liquid, solid, gas etc. Remember? "Gas" was a cloud with a pair of eyes. It was pretty "ok" from what I remember of it. I think there was a demo on Amiga Power. Honestly, unless you know it, I doubt there much chance that you'll remember the name of the game. Maybe something like, Elements... No, that's this game...)

Anyway! You change state's and try and get the momentum going to zoom around the environments. It starts off fairly difficult and gets worse. I've just finished Part 1 and the last level took me 11 minutes. I bet if you did it in one go it'd take about 60 seconds or less. It's not difficult because you can't figure out what you're supposed to be doing; it's difficult because you can't do what you know you're supposed to be doing. Timing is everything to get the speed up and it only takes one wrong nudge to fuck it up and it's back to the checkpoint (which are fairly generous it must be said).

It's ok, I guess. Nothing to get too excited about. I'll continue to see if it gets any more exciting but it's too difficult to get a good rhythm and too easy for a puzzle game (hell, you can press H at any time and it'll show you what you should be doing) The plonky music is plonky enough although it's too New-Age-hippy for my liking. You might as well wedge a wind chime into your inner ear.

And although there's some text on screen to say things to try and bring the world to life (and in that lovely thin font that people are so fond of using these days) it fails miserably to inject any personality unlike, say, Thomas was Alone did with its terrific narrative.

So a summary for the back of the virtual box could go like this:

"Element4AIL more like" AHAHAHAHAHA.

*cough*
Saturnalian wrote:
Third, it's about keeping the momentum up rather than a puzzle game in the style of that, um, puzzle game from the Amiga days

(...bloody hell, what was that called... Oh, someone will know it. You played a blob and went through liquid, solid, gas etc. Remember? "Gas" was a cloud with a pair of eyes. It was pretty "ok" from what I remember of it. I think there was a demo on Amiga Power. Honestly, unless you know it, I doubt there much chance that you'll remember the name of the game. Maybe something like, Elements... No, that's this game...)

Morph (Demo was Metamorphosis)?
Excellent remembering skillz!
Company of Heroes 2 was free over the weekend. But, er, now it isn't. Sorry!
PAPERS, PLEASE.

4 hrs, 25 mins
292 processed
158 approved
76 denied
45 detained
40 citations (!)

I ended the month being executed for helping out The Order. Sucked into a life of crime. Tch, aye.
I bloody loved it, by the way. Absolutely awesome game and I can understand why it got the praise it did. I think I managed to see 7 endings all being told.
Latest humble weekly bundle is up but i've basically got them all already

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Pay what you want ($1 minimum for steam keys) for

Awesomenauts
Sanctum 2
Wanderlust: Rebirth

Pay a minimum of $6 for the above plus

Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken
Orcs Must Die! 2 Complete Pack
Aces Wild: Manic Brawling Action!

Pay a minimum of $10 for the above plus

Risk of Rain
I ain't no graphics whore, but damn, this looks nice.

https://imgur.com/a/SWMPo
DavPaz wrote:
I ain't no graphics whore, but damn, this looks nice.

https://imgur.com/a/SWMPo

Some of them look like purdy paintings.
I've been playing Cave Story+ which is like one of those old school, sorry "Skool", Master System platform games. It's real nice so far and is reet challenging: death means back to the last save point you saved at, and death is around every corner from the smallest Japanese Blue blob to a spinning one hit kill blade. And it seems as though something is bubbling under the surface in the story department, so fingers crossed it all gets weird and is actually about chemical testing on animals or something to really mess with my head at the end. Or it might just be a colourful platformer about talking rabbits. We'll see.
Page 2 of 15 [ 708 posts ]