Beex, Yo.
YOU ARE NOT LOGGED IN!
Bowie's New 45 - Where Are We Now?
Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ]
Where Are We Now?

It's bloody lovely and I'd like to preemptively proclaim his forthcoming album 'The Next Day' as his best since the seminal 'Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)', released in 1980.

o_o
I've not actually heard it, but I imagine my thoughts would be summed up succinctly by @alicewhitey

@alicewhitey: I don't believe I'm going to have to be the one to tell you all this but the new Bowie song is shit and you're all lying to yourselves.
I like it, but then I'm not the kind of person who tells me that a song I like is shit.

Though there is one part that sounds like the 'silly little fat man, pathetic little loser' song Bowie sings to/about Gervais in Extras.
Who is David Bowie?
It's the Goblin King innit
And it's pronounced Bowie.
Morte wrote:
It's the Goblin King innit

Quite. Tell him his song is shit and he'll point his ultra-tight trousers in your direction. You wouldn't want that.
I love David Bowie but think he's already peaked (40 years ago).

Only heard half of his new single on the radio. Pleasant enough from what I heard and infinitely more palatable than the dross that other ageing artists are knocking out these days.

I must say though I'm surprised by the new stuff from the Stones, all been very good from what I've heard.
I always rather enjoyed that period where Bowie went all in with tech and tried to do something new. I realise a lot of Bowie fans hated Outside and Earthling with a passion, but I thought there was lots of great material on both. It was a pity when he essentially retreated back to his set-up from the 70s and dismissed his experimentation with electronics being smashed into rock with a hammer as a mistake.

As for old geezers still going strong, I reckon Wire beat pretty much everyone. They never stop doing trying new things, and it was hugely amusing to hear their Send-era stuff, which sounded like truly demented Kraftwerk robots firing hardcore rock samples directly into your brain, and that made the kind of noise made by twenty-somethings at the time rather pathetic by comparison. (The band's since gone a bit more tuneful again, and has fewer angles now Bruce Gilbert's gone, but Red Barked Trees is one of my favourite albums of the past decade nonetheless.)
I thought it was a rather dull song, not helped by the fact that Bowie can't sing for toffee. He's a great entertainer, and looking at videos of him "back in the day" you can see the charisma dripping off him, but this song just doesn't do it for me.
I like the song.
If you've not heard it, here it is:

I enjoyed it, though he sounds old it seems a bit like a song about just that: when I was young I ruled the world, what the hell happened?
Ah, so that's what that quite good record that sounded surprisingly like David Bowie was on the radio yesterday then.

"Quite good".

Is this a new band?
New Stones single is pretty decent IMO and needless to say, they feckin rocked live. Haven't heard Bowies' latest effort (am on iThing, on the move) but will check it out later.

Not sure I agree with the sentiment that old buggers can't come up with awesome. New stuff in the autumn of their careers either; iron maidens brave new world albu
Is one of my faves.

Unrelated, how I fucking hate apple phones for typing anything on their shit keyboard and hateful autocorrect software
Lord Raiden wrote:
New Stones single is pretty decent IMO and needless to say, they feckin rocked live. Haven't heard Bowies' latest effort (am on iThing, on the move) but will check it out later.

Not sure I agree with the sentiment that old buggers can't come up with awesome. New stuff in the autumn of their careers either; iron maidens brave new world albu
Is one of my faves.

Unrelated, how I fucking hate apple phones for typing anything on their shit keyboard and hateful autocorrect software

The best album of 2012 came from a 58 year old.
throughsilver wrote:
Lord Raiden wrote:

Is one of my faves.

The best album of 2012 came from a 58 year old.

Fiona Apple isn't that old.
After repeated play on Radio 2 I have now changed my opinion to:

Dreary pap.
It builds to a vaguely interesting crescendo, but 75% of it sounds like a song James Blunt rejected for being a bit bland.
Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ]

Active Topics