Beex, Yo.
YOU ARE NOT LOGGED IN!
Bits and Bobs 35
The ****** thread for *******
Page 12 of 60 [ 2973 posts ]
Page: 1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 60
MaliA wrote:
Allegedly, I kept MrsA "awake all night, so I had to go to the other bedroom" as I was snoring. I don't think I should be responsible for stuff I do when unconscious.

I refuse to be had accountable for anything I've said during or just before sex.
Sounds like a line from a Meatloaf song :)
progress is coming quick and fast. I've written something to toggle gridlines on and off. And using magic, it guesses my name.
MaliA wrote:
I'm 99% sure I mentioned soemthinglike this on here a while back. Couple that with "using cellphones to pay for stuff" I'm clearly one step ahead of the technology game, and clearly wasted in the industry I'm in.

Fuck, I came up with that idea 12 years ago.
http://resourcefulcook.com/ thought of it a fair while back, too...
MaliA wrote:
Today, I'm learning VBA. I'm up to page 21 already.

Whatever did you do to deserve that? Have a dump in the bosses tea?
Mr Dave wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Today, I'm learning VBA. I'm up to page 21 already.

Whatever did you do to deserve that? Have a dump in the bosses tea?

it's the end of the month, so everyone is preparing acocunts, so I'm fairly quiet. I've done all teh databse admin stuff and things like that, and I'm bored of reading the Gruaniad, so I figured I'd make myself more educated. if you need a macro to tell you the cube root of something, or tell you whose Excel you're using, I'm your man.
Okay Mali, stop that right now, and go here:
http://www.codecademy.com/

It'll teach you about programming far better than a help file / book will, and most of it covers stuff you need to know in every language.
Autogenerating shopping lists from recipes isn't a new idea at all. At its core, it's a data problem. You need parseable recipe input and output that can be parsed by your online supermarket, and that's a lot trickier than it seems. Firstly, your recipes. To be able to understand them, they need to have the ingredients in a consistent defined format. That means one of two things - you have your own recipe list, which will be shit because it will have fuck all in it, or you subscribe to someone else's recipe list, which costs you money. The output is even harder. Say you've got a recipe using bacon - so you go to your sainsburys API and ask for bacon. It comes back with 25 different options for bacon. Which one do you choose? The first in the list? The closest match? Ingredients lists in recipes are so far from an online supermarket's catalogue, that the results are going to be pretty laughable - you choose a recipe for a bacon sandwich, for example, and the site adds vegetarian bacon bits sprinkles to your shopping order. Alternatively, you prompt the user for everything that has multiple matches - which will be pretty much everything on the list. At which point it becomes a pain in the arse and nobody wants to use it.

Trickier than it looks on the face of it.
Craster wrote:
Autogenerating shopping lists from recipes isn't a new idea at all. At its core, it's a data problem. You need parseable recipe input and output that can be parsed by your online supermarket, and that's a lot trickier than it seems. Firstly, your recipes. To be able to understand them, they need to have the ingredients in a consistent defined format. That means one of two things - you have your own recipe list, which will be shit because it will have fuck all in it, or you subscribe to someone else's recipe list, which costs you money. The output is even harder. Say you've got a recipe using bacon - so you go to your sainsburys API and ask for bacon. It comes back with 25 different options for bacon. Which one do you choose? The first in the list? The closest match? Ingredients lists in recipes are so far from an online supermarket's catalogue, that the results are going to be pretty laughable - you choose a recipe for a bacon sandwich, for example, and the site adds vegetarian bacon bits sprinkles to your shopping order. Alternatively, you prompt the user for everything that has multiple matches - which will be pretty much everything on the list. At which point it becomes a pain in the arse and nobody wants to use it.

Crowdsourcing would save all that.
It would also allow for some *excellent* trolling.
Grim... wrote:

It'll teach you about programming far better than a help file / book will, and most of it covers stuff you need to know in every language.

Thanks.

My browser is not supported. I have IE8.

I'll check that at home. I'm currently trying to add a button onto a spreadsheet.
MaliA wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Thanks.

I'll check that at home. I'm currently trying to add a button onto a spreadsheet.

This is quite good too.

http://ruby.learncodethehardway.org/
Grim... wrote:
Craster wrote:

Crowdsourcing would save all that.
It would also allow for some *excellent* trolling.

Crowdsourcing would solve the recipe piece - but you need the interest to get the crowdsourcing going. I'm not convinced crowdsourcing would solve the supermarket piece. A recipe containing 'bacon' might mean smoked streaky to one person and unsmoked back to the next.

Resourceful cook has been doing this for ages - but note that they don't try and handle recipes at all, only their few prebuilt shopping lists.
MaliA wrote:

Bloody Hell.

Craster wrote:
Resourceful cook has been doing this for ages - but note that they don't try and handle recipes at all, only their few prebuilt shopping lists.

Whu? They give you recipes, shopping lists for said recipes, and have a link that bungs it all in an online Tesco basket.
Decca wrote:
Dimrill wrote:
Oof that's rough. I take it you're on the mend now I hope? I've had pleurisy before and that's agony enough for one life.

Nearly better now, :D I got off quite light as it was only in one lung so it could have been much much worse.

I had that, once upon a time. It was so painful I thought I'd broke a rib somehow. Turned out, I just needed to stop smoking. Tch.
Huh. Turns out one of the founders of Whisk is a former colleague of mine. He's a cock.
I read that as cook...
Decca wrote:
Hey want a huge shock - you know what's not actually as fun as it sounds? Pneumonia. As it turns out it's not even remotely fun at all. The really depressing thing is that I bought skyrim and saints row 3 after months and months of waiting for the prices to go down then bam sick as a dog for weeks after.

Eesh. Sorry to hear that. Hope you're on the mend.

My advice, play Saints Row 3 first. It's funnier and cheerier.
KovacsC wrote:
I read that as cook...

That'd make some sense.
Grim... wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Bloodu Hell.

Don't forget it took more than 3 months to spell my name correctly on the email and internal directory.

<ring ring>
"hello"
"Hello, is that Mila A?"
"No"
<click brrr>
I'm "Bloody Hell"ing more at the site than your IT team, to be honest. Can you install Chrome?
Grim... wrote:
I'm "Bloody Hell"ing more at the site than your IT team, to be honest. Can you install Chrome?

No, I can't install anything. I'm effectively on a dumb terminal.
MaliA wrote:
I'm effectively on a dumb terminal.

No you're not, you're on a normal PC with restricted privileges. A dumb terminal is, generally, one that has no processing capability of it's own and is just a window onto a server.
Bamba wrote:
MaliA wrote:

No you're not, you're on a normal PC with restricted privileges. A dumb terminal is, generally, one that has no processing capability of it's own and is just a window onto a server.

Yeah, that. I'm only up to page 85 of my programming book.
Bamba wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Or using a citrix thing...
MaliA wrote:

If you're reading a programming book that mentions dumb terminals then it's time to put it down and find something that was written sometime this decade.
KovacsC wrote:

You can run Citrix on any Windows machine in existence, it doesn't make any of them dumb terminals surely?
Grim... wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Bloody Hell.

Craster wrote:

Whu? They give you recipes, shopping lists for said recipes, and have a link that bungs it all in an online Tesco basket.

Yeah, but very few recipes, from their pre-built menu plans. You can't go into their recipes list, pick something, and go "pit this in my basket". Try it.
Bamba wrote:
MaliA wrote:

If you're reading a programming book that mentions dumb terminals then it's time to put it down and find something that was written sometime this decade.

It doesn't mention it, i remembered it from somewhere. I'm up to "Programming concepts now, and almost a quarter of the way through the book. Which, pleasingly, has 386 pages. And some cartoons.
Woo, the Black and Decker shop in the Lowry Mall has been of significant use! We bought a petrol strimmer from Homebase, on which the strimming head promptly exploded, and there are no spares and they never actually charged us for it in the first place so didn't try to get a refund.

We got back from Japan to find the couchgrass at the allotment is 2 feet tall, and decided to buy a cheapy battery one to at least make some dent in it before the eviction notices started arriving... popped in there to see, decided what the hey, £85 for a lithium battery one was okay and asked, only to get "out of stock, on back order, sorry."

"...but you can have display one for 10% off?" £76. They're £100 on Amazon. Boom!
"And I'll do you a deal on a second battery? £30 instead of £50?" They're £45 off t'internet. Shanka!

So now I'm charging the batteries at my desk, intending to throw it (and Helen) out at the allotment on my way past to the gardening club to get growbags tonight.

Also I now have a small petrol engine to do something manly with.
My line manager to person, introducing the team I'm in to the person:

"...and this is MaliA who joined us in February on a temporary basis, but we'll give him a contract as soon as it comes down from HR..."

Which is news of sorts, I guess.
Interesting article about stadia and people moving about in them. marks those who say "people who get crusehd to death in crowds" as somewhat wrong.
Bamba wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Dumb terminals are getting popular again. I've effectively got one at home (all it does is connect to my server).
Bamba wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

You can run Citrix on any Windows machine in existence, it doesn't make any of them dumb terminals surely?

I meant by using stuff with in Citrix,it acts as a dumb terminal.. if I am making sense..
My airsoft kit has come today! Yay!
Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340975446.074014.jpg
I was just speaking to a QS who went to the same uni I did, he's working for the client on the school we've just started; turns out he used my dissertation as research when doing his. I asked him, firstly, if he was researching how not to do it and secondly, if he managed to pass his degree because my disseratation, in my opinion, was total shite.

In other news, I've just swept the floor of my office for the first time in almost three years. You could've made a wig from the amount of hair in the pile!
Something that has me in a bad mood happened yesterday: I went to a shop to get... Something, I forget. Just a big newsagent shop, and I asked the Grimlet... if he wanted a magazine. He said yes, could he have one with a toy on the front? and I said sure.

Every one, and I'm including the fucking Disney Penguin Club and the CBeebies magazine here, every fucking one out of about ten came with some form of gun.
I'm not against guns - the Grimlet has a Nerf gun that I've been teaching him to shoot with, but I'm always a bit :s about children playing with guns (he doesn't "play" with the Nerf gun, he "uses" it, and only if I'm there (his trigger discipline is excellent, BTW)). But for fucks sake - CBeebies?
Grim... wrote:
But for fucks sake - CBeebies?

Well at least we now know why that bint only has one arm.
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Grim... wrote:

*snort*

Now I have cocacola on my programming book.
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Please tell me you are coming tomorrow. :D
Is the practice of company directors not accepting their bonus payments after a particularly grave set of circumstances bourne from a businessd ecision, or a personal one?

For £2.4 million, I'd be happy to receive publice ire for a few months or so.
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Please tell me you are coming tomorrow. :D

He isn't, the dick.
Bah, loser!
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Bah, loser!

There were a multitude of reasons why I'm not going. However the insurmountable one is that I won't be in the country.
I always called her "One-arm" when the Grimlet watched CBeebies, partly because its political incorrectness drove Mrs Grim... mad, and partly so the Grimlet would realise she only had one arm and ask me and I could explain about disabilities and such.

Anyway, as good middle-class white parents, we went to hang out with other middle-class white parents at a festival in London called Lollibop, which was centred around kids. She was on the main stage. The Grimlet was at the front of the crowd.

Realisation dawning, I slow-mo'd my way through toward him, toddlers rushing out my way, and got to him just as he pointed at her as started to open his mouth.

"She's called Kerry, right? Kerry. Nothing else."
The LOLs! :DD
Grim... wrote:
I always called her "One-arm" when the Grimlet watched CBeebies, partly because it's political incorrectness drove Mrs Grim... mad, and partly so the Grimlet would realise she only had one arm and ask me and I could explain about disabilities and such.

Anyway, as good middle-class white parents, we went to hang out with other middle-class white parents at a festival in London called Lollibop, which was centred around kids. She was on the main stage. The Grimlet was at the front of the crowd.

Realisation dawning, I slow-mo'd my way through toward him, toddlers rushing out my way, and got to him just as he pointed at her as started to open his mouth.

Curiosity's sister (the first of our group to have kids) called her Stumpy as soon as their daughter started watching CBeebies. It has stuck.
Grim... wrote:
I always called her "One-arm" when the Grimlet watched CBeebies, partly because it's political incorrectness drove Mrs Grim... mad, and partly so the Grimlet would realise she only had one arm and ask me and I could explain about disabilities and such.

Superb!
How lovely. :)

http://imgur.com/a/HgZZF#Rtb8s
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
There were a multitude of reasons why I'm not going. However the insurmountable one is that I'm a dick.
Page 12 of 60 [ 2973 posts ]
Page: 1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 60

Active Topics