Attachment:
im_a_horse.jpg
Attachment:
post-9662-0-44840500-1330185264.jpg
Attachment:
himom.jpg
Craster wrote:
:luv: :luv: :luv:

New Kochanski was fitter than old Kochanski. Fact.
MaliA wrote:
I eat far, far too much, here. Today, I've had three Rocky bars and a packet of fruit pastilles. And two bananas. And my sandwiches. I should start eating breakfast I think.

Definitely eat breakfast! So so wrong to avoid it.

Not really a nay, as it's not a horrible thing. But my Klipsch headphones broke today! Well, the padded bit came off one side. In my bag! Such a pain to attempt to reattach. Bother.

Claire Grogan is not about being fit. She's super cute. Even now, I imagine.
Google image search suggests I'd still go a grogan
Plissken wrote:
Malc wrote:
Lets say people doing hard stuff earns charities £X a year.
Lets say people doing fun stuff earns charities £Y a year, but costs them £Z a year in flights, etc

Somewhat tangentially, I ran the numbers a few years ago on Davina McCall. (Insert :hat: here)

It went something like... she was paid half a million quid for hosting Big Brother. This boiled down to about 20 hours of screen time. So call it £20,000 an hour.

She did several voiceovers for Comic Relief. Say she took a morning to do them - 3 hours.

Did Comic Relief gain an extra 60 grand in donations purely because Davina McCall did the voiceover and not some generic person? People often say that for charities, time is better than money. But for someone earning £20 grand an hour, this is palpably not true.

(Stewart Lee did similar about Russell Howard and a bike ride.)

Perhaps I'm being naive, but wouldn't she have done a charity voiceover, like, for free?
Exactly - donating three hours of time costs her nothing, donating three hours of her wages would be £60k.

Not that I'm knocking her specifically, as that is the way of things these days. Instead of "all money goes to charity" it is "all profits go to charity". Everyone involved gets something out of it, publicity usually, and the people actually donating and the deserved recipients are sometimes a bit of an afterthought. I just hate the idea that I have to be told by a Z-list celebrity to give money. Also, going back to the tsunami about ten years ago, I had already been to several charity gigs to raise money by the time the celebrity and professional charity machinery had got itself organised - the public had donated something like £60m in two weeks and then the big events started about two months after the disaster. People will donate to a good cause, especially in times of emergency.

There are plenty who do donate time and/or money - I know for a fact that Jimmy Carr drove himself from Birmingham to Manchester to do a 15 minute slot at a charity gig and refused even the offer of petrol money. It also isn't easy when a famous person does donate something and finds that their generosity is being abused - for instance footballers donating signed shirts or footballs which are then hung in the offices of the charity.

To be honest, donating and raising money for charities can be just a bloody minefield these days and I have no idea how we got to this point.
Having been into the RSPCA offices and seen how it's furnished (and the cars in the car park) I can't help but to agree.

On a similar note, didn't Gary Barlow spend a fortune on a chartered jet to get everyone home after he climbed the mountain?
Grim... wrote:
Having been into the RSPCA offices and seen how it's furnished (and the cars in the car park) I can't help but to agree.
It's an interesting question. If the RSPCA paid peanuts, presumably it'd have a lower calibre of staff, who would do a worse job of attracting donations. If paying £x more on the wage bill results in a bigger-than-£x increase in donations, is it justified? And how do you calculate that anyway?
Yeah, also it needs to be run by competent staff otherwise they would just get taken for a ride by different companies wherever they tried to actually spend the donations.
No-one mention NGO's
Hierarchy of evil horse-likers:

Genghis Khan<Hitler<Grim...<Caligula<Rebekah Brooks<Princess Anne<Pippa Funnell

(ordered from least evil to most, natch)
With a fair amount of experience into the vagarities of charity, having been a trustee at one point, I'll say this: Oxfam, World Aid, Banardos, and all the big names are turning over big business. It is big business like any other. Your donations are being ploughed into the salaries of very well paid and particularly well expensed people that earn a very tidy living from doing what they do. The machinations of getting more money from you are finely tuned corporate strategy devised by people well paid to do that.

Obviously there is a cause behind it, and ostensibly a worthy one, but don't believe that any of the big boys are living on stale bread in dingy offices to make sure as much money as possible goes to the cause. As Grim... has hinted, the offices are plush, the staff well paid.

This is why I get very disappointed when some youtube star or other has a charity drive and decides to support a generic big name because they lack the imagination to do anything else. A big name could rake in £50,000 of donations from random internet people who don't care what the cause is - they'll donate out of sheer fanaticism. To see that cash go into the coffers of a massive charity for whom £50k is relative peanuts is seriously disappointing. It'll change fuck all.

The flip side of the coin is small charities. Local hospices especially, poorly funded governmentally, with a single community fundraiser being paid a flat £20k a year to work a 60 hour week and never being able to justify taking off the time in lieu they've accumulated. The kind of charity where taking on an extra person to cope with the workload is a really hard thing to justify. £50k to one of those would be an incredible boon that would make a radical, real, demonstrable change to how their cause works for the next year. These are the people that need your cash.

I highly object to the freeloading cunts that want you to fund their charity holiday. Instead of raising £3000 to go abroad and fuck a flamingo, or whatever it is you're doing, raise £3000 and do something locally at your own expense. Because you could, and if you really gave a flying fuck about the cause you were supporting, that's exactly what you'd do. A respectable charity would not allow you to subsidise your trip in their name, and I would look very unfavourably on any charity that did allow it.

If you haven't got any cash in your pocket, go and give blood or something. That's something you can do that makes a difference and you even get a cup of tea out of it. It's win-win.
I sometimes like to pick a random active thing on JustGiving and give it £1 "from an Internet stranger passing by".
Grim... wrote:
I sometimes like to pick a random active thing on JustGiving and give it £1 "from an Internet stranger passing by".

I like that :)
It was Mil Millington's idea:
Quote:
Therefore, if you want to give money to charity, then give it: help someone, feel (rightly) good about (rightly) yourself, and don't let any credit get wasted on me. In fact, it's possibly quite pleasing (if, like me, you have a liking for spontaneous acts of small strangeness) to go to, say

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/giving

type a random name into the search box, pick one of the results that's collecting for a secular charity, and give, whatever, 10p to it. (Extra boon: no emotional blackmail. You might feel pressured to give ten quid to the blind, wheezing, earless offspring of your next-door neighbour while she's standing there with a sponsorship form and everyone is watching you, but it's going to be a *dizzy thrill* for someone to suddenly get *anything at all* donated out of the Internet blue by a comprehensively total stranger. Give 50p and they'll probably regard you, Mysterious Benefactor, as so lovely and heroic they'll kiss their computer screen and begin to weep.)

Or, let me repeat, don't give anything at all to charity. Completely as you wish: this is all about you, not me. It's your choice and a free choice and that's as it should be.

Which is quite right. He then continues:
Quote:
On the other hand, something about which your friends, relatives and society as a whole *will* judge you is if you fail to buy at least six of my four novels which, my publisher tells me, are coming out in e-book form early this month.

:D
I feel far, far, worse than I should do after going out last night. I met with my friend and we went to the North Bar, the Nation of Shopkeepers and the Palace. I then had a bottle of beer on my return home. Slept terribly, with odd dreams. Roll on 4pm!
It's World Book Day, today, so I'm going to pretend to be a Gruffalo to get me through the working day.
I got a free two months from Lovefilm, I've loaded my list with 'second tier' titles, like ITV Undisputed 3, NIER, Metal Gear Solid HD, Skyrim, you know stuff of that ilk. Currently playing through Binary Domain courtesy of said company, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. It's like Gears with robots for enemies. The voice gimmick is largely worthless, but the shooting is great. Awesome bosses too. I'd very much recommend it at a cheapy price.
On behalf of Mr Russell, I would like to thank Mr Dave for the 110 POTW nominations that he made last night.
Is his phone on the loose again?
Pundabaya wrote:
...Binary Domain...

That sounds pretty decent, I'll give that a go I think.
MrsA has concerns that my removing her family* from my Facebook 'friends' list will upset them a lot, as they'll see it as isolationism and they will complain to her over it. Which is fairly interesting. I'm sure they'll get over it.

*Sister two brothers, sister in law
Just tell them you're leaving Facebook entirely.
Grim... wrote:
Just tell them you're leaving Facebook entirely.

I'm half tempted to tell them to "grow up"
Exactly right!
Zardoz wrote:
Pundabaya wrote:
...Binary Domain...

That sounds pretty decent, I'll give that a go I think.

The Demo is available from the xStore.

I hated it. Although that might have been something to do with the atrocious voice acting.
I loved it and I think the crap voice acting added to it, for me anyway.
The OU library is by far the best I have every used with access to a mind boggling array of resources. Whoever designed the website is a moron!

>:|
Where did Mali's post go?
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

I deleted it, as she didn't design the library, just some other modular things.
MaliA wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

I deleted it, as she didn't design the library, just some other modular things.

Ah, well it's not elearning stuff anyway, it's new library user interface, not in the least bit intuitive. Judging by the forum posts about it a lot of people are struggling with it. Some of the older students aren't using it at all now. :(
DBSnappa wrote:
No-one mention NGO's

Racist.
I was thinking about embarking on a software project, would anybody like to help?

Skills necessary:

Ability to write software to scrape Facebook, Twitter, 4square etc… for the following information.
Names
Phone Numbers
Home Addresses
Location Alerts/Check-ins
Names of holidays destinations.
Names of high-end electrical equipment.

Knowledge of writing mobile apps for GPS equipped smart phones is required, specifically integration with Google Maps.

Must have driving licence and own balaclava.
I don't have a balaclava, but I do have a woolly hat and some dark glasses, will that do? As a bonus, I also have a black and white stripey jumper and a big sack with "SWAG" written on it.
Craster wrote:
On behalf of Mr Russell, I would like to thank Mr Dave for the 110 POTW nominations that he made last night.

Hurrah!

I don't remember doing that at all
Trooper wrote:
I was thinking about embarking on a software project, would anybody like to help?
http://pleaserobme.com/
In gaucho. No skirt. Ordered flank. And a sausage platter 'starter' that costs more than the steak.

Cheese menu: noticed. Wheat beer: drinking. Hangover and constipation: expected.
BikNorton wrote:
And a sausage platter 'starter' that costs more than the steak.

It's fucking good, that platter. The chorizo in particular.
Yes. Also the morcilla.
And put some trousers on!
Advantage of working late: being right on time to see the early shift lapdancers, hastily clothed, nip out of the club to grab a kebab. Very amusing.

Yes, I am waiting for a bus in the city centre.
I went to Gaucho today. I've been several times but today I was impressed.
DavPaz wrote:
Advantage of working late: being right on time to see the early shift lapdancers, hastily clothed, nip out of the club to grab a kebab. Very amusing.

Yes, I am waiting for a bus in the city centre.

I was turned down for a job in a lap dancing club for 'lack of bar experience'.
    You like to use the latest software and enjoy experimenting with new technology.

You're comfortable backing up a PC, formatting a hard drive, and installing an operating system from scratch.

You feel comfortable troubleshooting PC problems yourself.

You don't mind updating software frequently.

You have the installation or recovery media and the knowledge to restore your previous operating system after you're done testing Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

Fuck it, I'll download it anyway.
Restructure at work. "Low risk of redundancies, but you'll have to apply for new positions". Time for me to unseat and usurp, then. <sighs> I think I'm cursed.
Fuck. That was amazing. My flank came rare as hell - moreso than the rump hel ordered blue - and benefited from it. the sausage platter was gorgeous, as was the chimichurri. best meal ever.
This is some clever shit:
http://shapecatcher.com/index.html
Try to guess what I drew!

http://shapecatcher.com/unicode_info/11278.html
Page 38 of 60 [ 2974 posts ]
Page: 1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 60

Active Topics