Beex, Yo.
YOU ARE NOT LOGGED IN!
Halo 4
Awesome Happy Spartan Thread.
Page 3 of 10 [ 474 posts ]
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10
I'm currently in a party with a mate, you're all welcome to join.
Installing now...
Moar phunz.

Sorry I was late.
That was ace.. Sorry I vanished. BabyTheVision started crying... Pah.
Didn't know what was happening, didn't know the maps, didn't know some of the weapons, but Flood/Zombies with GovY was acebest. Confusing people with the cloak is genius.
Promeeans are tricky to fit if you havent grasped all the mechanics. Here's a good run-down with a weapon lexicon as well.

My tic-tac for soing away with an arena full: snipe the Watchers with a light rifle, then bolt-shot or light rifle the crawlers, then take on the knights last. Kights can take forever but release a charged covenant plasma pistol into one and then use a spread weapon at close range or your medium ranger of choice and just empty it into them. If ey arent down after that combo by the time you have reached them a melee might work, but do try to melee em from behind.

Taken systematically, they are manageable even in large humbers. Impatience is not rewarded on Heroic.
GovernmentYard wrote:

Taken systematically, they are manageable even in large humbers.

You've been living in Hull too long.
Gah. ipad keyboard + lack of patience with autocorrect = gah.

Anyway, you need to play Halo 4. Either you'll really enjoy it or it will drive you spare, which I need to hear if that's what's going to happen.
I had a look at Forge last night. It seems pretty similar to Reach so far apart from one clever addition. You can turn "magnets" on which will make the scenery you place down, lock and stick together.
I was buildng yesterday on "Infintiy" and I like the magnets, but the frequency with which I keep accidentally deleting shit at had taken me ages sent me running back to campaign.

Still want to come yp with a nice SWAT map thoug, until they get some swat playlists into WarGames.
Finished Campaign. What are you looking at me like that for? There's something in my eye, alright? Fuck off.
I don't know what this story is about, which ain't a good sign. I know I've got to kill this mega bad guy who will do something bad to humanity or summats. But I've no idea why after that bleeding cut scene that was horrendous gash.

The shooting is good but, fuck me, I can't remember the last good sci-fi story. Oh, I do remember, HALO. Mega rings created to destroy all living things. The race between the humans and aliens to the mega awesome things big red button. That's all you need.

Simple. Groovy.

"The promethians are ancient humans running from the do dar enslaved by the procastinator who wants to be digital. But then didn't. But couldn't get off the Internet"

Oh do fuck off.
Ian Fairies wrote:
"The promethians are ancient humans running from the do dar enslaved by the procastinator who wants to be digital. But then didn't. But couldn't get off the Internet"

Please tell me the game has the Procrastinator in it.
It's worse, it's the Procrasternator.
Not a good mental image for bedtime.
Potted plot:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
precursors seed the galaxy with life, which includes Forerunners, Humans et. al. Forerunners wipe out the precursors loooooooooooong ago. Eventually, mankind come across the Flood, which was left by the Precursors to be their revenge on the forerunners, who act as guardians of the "Mantle" which is a bit like being the Caholic Church, telling everyone what to do out of divine benevolence like a bunch of hubristic cocks.

Running from the flood, humanity starts fighting the forerunners for territory in their retreat. The Didact, head soldier of the forerunner defeats the humans and his wife, the Librarian (head species wrangler and MILF) genetically retrogrades humanity to sort of early civilisation period.

Forerunners divise the halos to wipe out the Flood. Didact objects, loses in parliament, gets sent into exile/stasis while his missus fills the halos with species for after they get fired. Shield worlds like Requiem were also designed to survive the blast from the halos.

Shit kicks off, the Didact gets pissed at Humanity for being the real inheritors of the mantle as dictated by the Precursors, fires the rings. Details unspecified as yet. Galaxy gets repopulated, man expands into it again, meets covenant who worship forerunners, shit kicks off, master chief reaches halo, games begin.

That's it really. Except the concept also exists of, sort of, souls being passed from body to body, so the Didact in Halo is the second body for that chap, and souls of previous humans were genetically seeded to re-emerge generations later, we now know Master Chief is one such person carrying a soul seeded generations earlier by The Librarian. Could be her husband, the Didact. Probable also is that she seeded herself, most recently in Dr. Halsey who organised the Spartan program, and whose mind was flashed onto a USB stick to create Cortana, hence her thing with the Chief, they are the reincarnated souls of lovers born millennia ago.

A lot of this was strongly echoed in Halo 3 iirc.

All in all, it makes more sense than Galactica and Star Wars do anymore.
The thing is if you want more than a couple of games, you need a bit more plot. People have embraced the books, sided games, DVD, terminals, etc. It's a pretty decent story, all in all, no worse for being expanded way beyond the original intended scale than Aliens, Star Wars, Matrix etc.

But really it is Master Chief and Cortana, it's an interactive buddy movie. And it plays like molten awesome.

Dimrill will be along shortly to expand on how Beren/Luthien = Aragorn/Arwen and so on. It's an endlessly repeating meme.
I got very little of that synopsis (thanks by the way, very helpful) from that wretched cut scene.

"Chief, you need your DNA ultra forming? Can I defeat him without ultra forming? No. Ok then, ultra form me up strange grey cock with a stingray face being from my dreams"
Mrs. Me will attest to my grins and gasps when the Librarian rocks up and backs you against her husband. Had I not read up preperation, I would have been clueless.

Anyone else notice the Foreunner are basically Voldemort?
Rubbish story aside, I'm really enjoying playing Halo, but it's like playing Halo after you haven't played Halo for a while and then you go back to Halo, and it's cool cause it's Halo how you remember Halo being, but then again it's just another Halo.
Finished Halo!

So what was it like? The answer is: Halo!

Well of course it was. It's always been a decent blast, hasn't it? You get some challenging pew pew in, a lot of corridors and a lot of wide open spaces, you get a bunch of Solider philosophy, some hoo-rah, some big angular structures and some bland metallic catwalks.

In recent times, you even get some air combat. You might travel between identical looking blocks and you may fight alongside some tiney-tiny soldiers. You might throw a grenade or hundred. You may duke it out with twenty odd enemies at a time. You might fight a couple of big guys at a time. You might operate a turret!

All of this is ace. You dart back and forth with a shotty between pillars trying to close the gap on the big un's. Close enough to see their glowing faces before you explode them into the ether. Shit, there's actually two of them! Retreat! Retreat! LOB ALL YOUR GRENADES.

I had fun. Lots of fun. It's fun!

But it hasn't really moved on much. I couldn't tell it wasn't Bungie behind the helm either so it must be a testament to the awesome programmers programming that they've pulled this off. IT'S HALO!

Now, that may be fine for everyone who was worried that 343 were onboard but I don't care. I just play the games; I'm not bothered about who's doing what. I just want to play awesome games. Its good but I can't see where Halo goes from here. More of the above? It took Call of Duty until CoD4 to radically alter the template and we've had 5 near identical Halo games. When do we get bored? Im happy with this Halo but I'm also disappointed that it didn't shake things up.
Things I liked, a big ole list:

The crawl along the mountains atop the big wheeled carrier thing. That was ace. Jet pack in hand I shot the shit. Climbing aboard a covenant vessel along the way was good too. I was happy it wasn't repeated either.

THAT mission aboard the outpost alongside Halo ring 3. Now THAT was fucking excellent. Everything about that battle through the base was brilliant from the indoor fights through the corridors to the shoot out to protect that big artefact. Groovy. AND THEN the end of the mission as everyone is dissolved capped it off brilliantly. Genuine excitement and shock as everyone turned to dust. The best level by far.

The Star Wars flight down the space ship. It got a bit boring but when it opened up and earth could be seen above it came into its own.

In fact, it looked gorgeous throughout. When that outpost's hull was ripped open? Groovy.

The cut scenes looked the bizness.

Things I didn't like:

Identikit shiny catwalk battles. That last level has an atrocious amount of repeating the same shit again and again. It's fecking lazy.

The new enemies had no chatter. The covenant were a bit quiet throughout too.

The QTE at the beginning and then never used again. It seemed strange to include them in the first place.

The rubbish cutscene that ruined the story for me. If they'd took that out, the story could have still worked and probably been better for it.

If I drop from height with a jet pack my shield collapses. I fall through the orbit of a planet and I'm fine.

The ending. What a let down. I explode a nuclear bomb in my face and I'm fine? Christ almighty. Stupid. Plus, it was MW2's ending without the QTE's, sorta.
When they introduced dual wielding, people said it wasn't Halo anymore. When they let you play as a Covenant, people said it wasn't Halo anymore. When they set it on Earth and you weren't a genetically engineered super soldier, people said it wasn't Halo anymore. When they introduced armour abilities, i.e. anything gameplay changing at all, people said it wasn't Halo anymore.

I don't think there will be any radical changes for Halo 5, but it will certainly be a good yardstick for the next gen. It might even launch the next Xbox, if they're well underway with it already.

Warning though: just played Spartan Ops by myself and lost my Live connection just before the end of Episode 1 part 4 on Heroic, which is a nasty bout in an enclosed space dense with Prometheans. Game ended, I got my XP and levelled, but I am not down as having completed the game. Don't want to play through it again, but don't want to go onto part 5 witht part 4 being checked off.

Hitting the forums, will report back with any fixes. Shame this, as I love Spartan Ops.
Ian Fairies wrote:
Things I liked, a big ole list:

The crawl along the mountains atop the big wheeled carrier thing. That was ace. Jet pack in hand I shot the shit. Climbing aboard a covenant vessel along the way was good too. I was happy it wasn't repeated either.

THAT mission aboard the outpost alongside Halo ring 3. Now THAT was fucking excellent. Everything about that battle through the base was brilliant from the indoor fights through the corridors to the shoot out to protect that big artefact. Groovy. AND THEN the end of the mission as everyone is dissolved capped it off brilliantly. Genuine excitement and shock as everyone turned to dust. The best level by far.

The Star Wars flight down the space ship. It got a bit boring but when it opened up and earth could be seen above it came into its own.

In fact, it looked gorgeous throughout. When that outpost's hull was ripped open? Groovy.

The cut scenes looked the bizness.

Things I didn't like:

Identikit shiny catwalk battles. That last level has an atrocious amount of repeating the same shit again and again. It's fecking lazy.

The new enemies had no chatter. The covenant were a bit quiet throughout too.

The QTE at the beginning and then never used again. It seemed strange to include them in the first place.

The rubbish cutscene that ruined the story for me. If they'd took that out, the story could have still worked and probably been better for it.

If I drop from height with a jet pack my shield collapses. I fall through the orbit of a planet and I'm fine.

The ending. What a let down. I explode a nuclear bomb in my face and I'm fine? Christ almighty. Stupid. Plus, it was MW2's ending without the QTE's, sorta.

Cortana wrapped the Chief in a hard light bubble, didn't she?
Not that I saw. And I'm sure I was paying attention.
Having played through Episode 1 of Spartan Ops on my lonesome and enjoyed it well enough, I watched Episode 2 then searched for players to join in the first level of ep. 2

:blown:

It was shitting awesome. We blazed through and it felt brilliant. That's how to do it. I would ask if anyone off here wants to join me for some SpOps this week when ep. 3 comes out but it doesn't seem like the time/love is there for it, alas.
As expected, Spartan Ops is utter gash on your own.

With others it's acebestester.
I finished the campaggen last night and I thoroughly enjoyed most of it. The QTE's were utterly pointless and annoyed me and the plot was a bit nonsensical at times but overall I thought it was a most worthy addition to the series.

Good/Bad as follows;

Highlights
Consecutively headshotting exploding dog things never got boring.
It's still one of those games where you die and think "yay - I can try something else" and the next round of combat is still enjoyable - most of the time.
Hunter battles - still brutal - probably not enough of them if I'm honest.

Things I could have done without
Pulse grenades - utterly gash.
Banshee flights where every single opponent shot hits you straight away
Flying a Pelican in no peril at all.
The new weapons being mainly tiny variants on the existing weapon types
No mention at all of Lasky's previous interactions with the chief as per the Forward Unto Dawn episodes.
Massively incompetent captain of Infinity sulking into MC's face.
Ian Fairies wrote:
As expected, Spartan Ops is utter gash on your own.

With others it's acebestester.

Episode 3 and they are now pushing forward the main character narrative, which is a good thing.

The first level of ep. 3 is awesome with four players, in terms of what you go up against and how. Then on the second level we got lag-glitched, the framerate dropped very far, briefly and suddenly, and thereafter the baddies were all in/under the ground, with weapons floating about on the floor and it being impossible to kill them. If this happens to you, use an auto-turret to make short work of the buggers.
Sarah Palmer from Spartan Ops = Commander Shepard = Bastilla Shan = Samus Aran.
GovernmentYard wrote:

Luls Shepard is a man, man
No she isn't, although she does walk a lot like one in some cutscenes.
Grim... wrote:
GovernmentYard wrote:

You forget my digital transvestism. Ever since Ant Attack. The only Shep is Femshep.
FFA playlists are back for Chinny et. al.
GovernmentYard wrote:
Grim... wrote:
GovernmentYard wrote:

You forget my digital transvestism. Ever since Ant Attack. The only Shep is Femshep.

I got told off at the recent EvE meet in Toronto for digital transvestism. My explanation of 'a female avatar being more pleasant to look at' wasn't accepted in light of the fact you're inside a fluid-filled space pod for 99.999999999% of the time.
The whole point of videogames beyond a core mechanic is escapism and doing something different, so why anyone would want to be a gender they already are IRL is beyond me.

Besides, I'M A PRETTY LADY.

/edit though I've disavowed the notion that the female spartan skin in Halo multiplayer has a smaller collision detection footprint in-game. That or I'm shitter than I thought.
GovernmentYard wrote:
/edit though I've disavowed the notion that the female spartan skin in Halo multiplayer has a smaller collision detection footprint in-game. That or I'm shitter than I thought.

Are we having a Halo night soon? Not Friday.
Crimson map pack is apparently free to download NOW. Mit not be by tomorrow morning. ms fuckup but reported free by so many people it has to be true.
800 points on Xbox.com download queue-me-do.
Does anyone want to play Deathmatch Halo tonight?
I HAVE BOUGHT HALO4 DAVE!
Yaroo!
Dimrill wrote:

FUCK ME! WOOOOOOOOOO!

Just as I was bemoaning last night on Forza that Halo 4 was dead in the water for BEEX action.
Noooooo. I already spent a fortune yesterday on a new pad and headset.
I've ordered it as well but i've never really managed to get into the multiplayer of it that much (although enjoyed a few Beex nights on Halo3 or ODST in the past)
Dimrill wrote:

Considers it boughted then.
Mr Dave wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

Considers it boughted then.

There is a super map that would be good for Mr Dave style rocket action.
Halo4 get!
Excellent. I shall be available tomorrow evening most probably.
Grim... wrote:
Halo4 get!

:this:
Page 3 of 10 [ 474 posts ]
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10

Active Topics