Beex, Yo.
YOU ARE NOT LOGGED IN!
PSN thread-oh
Tee-hee
Page 4 of 6 [ 278 posts ]
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
I agree that the HD versions are quite well done.
Turns out Rayman Origins IS on the instant game thing but its not on the top menu. If you seek it out you'll find it's free.

On Vita.

Man, I want a Vita.
I don't have PS+ but my friend does. My friends PS3 recently went bump and since he can't afford to replace it, and he's still got months and months left on his PS+ pass.. he's let me have his password to download all his free games!

Brilliant.. Now all I've got to do is remember how to plug the PS3 in and remember how to sync the pad....
Saturnalian wrote:
Turns out Rayman Origins IS on the instant game thing but its not on the top menu. If you seek it out you'll find it's free.

On Vita.

Man, I want a Vita.

PS+ is doing an excellent job of persuading me to buy a Vita, because I already own 3 games I want to play on it. Which helps.

So yeah, do as I do. Purchase it anyhow. Just. In. Case.
Make sure you get Uncharted as well. And Gravity Rush. And Sine Mora (great this, by the way). Y'know, just in case...
I got some free PS+ when PSN got hacked. I elected to wait. I imagine it has now expired, considering that was two years ago.

Boo.
I tell you what I'm loving on the PS3 at the minute though: MotoStorm Apocalypse (PS+ natch). It's like Burnout 3 with crazy terrain deformation. It's utterly stupid and awesome.
Saturnalian wrote:
I tell you what I'm loving on the PS3 at the minute though: MotoStorm Apocalypse (PS+ natch). It's like Burnout 3 with crazy terrain deformation. It's utterly stupid and awesome.

I never picked it up but it was the game that had the worst timing - its set in a post apocalyptic Japan / Asia region and was due to come out the same time as the Tsunami hit
Purchased a PS Vita & renewed my PS+ subscription.
Stacks of games to play :)
So I "purchased" (for free via PS+) and downloaded overnight the Uncharted 3 single player (a 12 gig file), then installed it (took nearly half an hour!), but the game doesn't appear in the game list.

Doing a bit of googling, it seems maybe you have to download loads of other stuff in order to actually have the game. Anyone here know the specifics of this?

Also, it seems you need nearly 90 gigs of free space on the hard drive in total! :S That's more than half of the size of the hard disk in my PS3. This is all a bit sucky.
lasermink wrote:
Also, it seems you need nearly 90 gigs of free space on the hard drive in total! :S That's more than half of the size of the hard disk in my PS3. This is all a bit sucky.

That is over twice the size of mine :D
I really should order another 500gb one after the last debacle.
I hope they sort that out on the PS4. Don't you have to have twice the space available when you download and install a game?
1TB disk ordered, it was only £15 more than 500gb. Hopefully this one won't have an intermittent fault and waste another few days of fannying around!
TheVision wrote:
I hope they sort that out on the PS4. Don't you have to have twice the space available when you download and install a game?

Probably, the PS3 downloads an actual installer which sits on your hard drive and you then need to execute the installer to get the game. So you'll have the installer sitting there with the full (probably compressed) game while all the resources and whatnot are being unpacked so until that process finishes and it can delete the installer you'll need close to twice the space available on the disk.
TheVision wrote:
Don't you have to have twice the space available when you download and install a game?

Yes, for the reasons Bamba said. PS+ is a great system tied to the PS3's creakingly terrible architectural decisions. Subsequent patches have improved things a bit but a lot of the PS3's patching and download systems are still tied to numerous awful decisions made in 2004/5.
Now they've replaced the 12 GB download with a 33,7 GB one, so something obviously wasn't right. And it seems you still have to download the multiplayer game as well (4,6 GB) to make it work.
lasermink wrote:
Now they've replaced the 12 GB download with a 33,7 GB one, so something obviously wasn't right.

What the shit?
Grim... wrote:
lasermink wrote:
Now they've replaced the 12 GB download with a 33,7 GB one, so something obviously wasn't right.

What the shit?

About 2 or 3 months ago they made part of uncharted free for everyone 'forever' (the multiplayer if i remember correctly) , I assume thats what you were directed to first, whereas the special for PSN plus users right now is everything which is on the disk which sounds more like the 2nd one.
zaphod79 wrote:
Grim... wrote:
lasermink wrote:

What the shit?

About 2 or 3 months ago they made part of uncharted free for everyone 'forever' (the multiplayer if i remember correctly) , I assume thats what you were directed to first, whereas the special for PSN plus users right now is everything which is on the disk which sounds more like the 2nd one.

Nope, the multiplayer download is the 4,6 GB one, and you have to search for it yourself in the store. But it is needed for the single player download to work, it says.
Motorstorm Apocalypse is bloody good, isn't it. I've got to the Pro levels and shit is just falling apart all over the place. One race to the finish was livened up when the road dropped 50 foot during the end sprint. Corking game this.
Saturnalian wrote:
Motorstorm Apocalypse is bloody good, isn't it. I've got to the Pro levels and shit is just falling apart all over the place. One race to the finish was livened up when the road dropped 50 foot during the end sprint. Corking game this.

It's pretty good. Ruined somewhat by being not quite as good as Split/Second, which I played a few years ago.
Can someone help me out as I'm clearly an imbecile. I can't find where on the sony website i download the free games available through PS+. Can someone post a link to a page for an example, like XCOM, and explain where or how they found it?
sdg wrote:
Can someone help me out as I'm clearly an imbecile. I can't find where on the sony website i download the free games available through PS+. Can someone post a link to a page for an example, like XCOM, and explain where or how they found it?

I don't have PSN+ but the XCOM page for me is here, presumably when logged in you just add it to your basket then go to the basket and it'll show up there as free (for you) with some kind of confirm option?
Sdg: https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork. ... INSTANTGAM
SilentElk wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

It's pretty good. Ruined somewhat by being not quite as good as Split/Second, which I played a few years ago.

I never did play that. I don't like racing games enough to spend money on them unless it's Burnout 3 again. Didn't the player trigger the events on Split/Second though? I'm enjoying not knowing what's going to happen around the next corner. Online ain't too bad neither and it's reasonably quick to get a match. The 16 player count does make for a pretty hectic battle. I'm shit at it though.

For nowt but the PS+ subscription this is recommended.
Although you no longer get it with the PS+ sub.
Too late people. Now you don't want to get in this pickle again so if you haven't downloaded Shadow of the Collosus by now do so now. NOW! What's wrong with you!? Why you reading this? Download the greatest game ever made, you fools!
Goddamn, the seaside level with the tornado is actually amazing! Corking.
It's much more exciting when you're playing, mind.

This is sensational! I'd pay actual money for a next-gen version of this. Putting a story is a racing game is stupid but since its on a linear timescale any devastation that occurs stays in place the next time you play the same level. Skyline in particular turns out to just be a complete ruin of tower blocks and an entire building is missing the last time you play it. Great stuff.
I've finished Motorstorm: it was brilliant.

Now I'm trying Lord of the Rings: War in the North. It's shit.

Now I'm trying XCOM... etc.
Finished Uncharted: Golden Blah Blah on Vita.

It's Uncharted 1 on Vita! Samey environments, repetitive shooting and repetitive climbing sections - BUT it also has Touch QTE's AND bland Touch puzzles!

It has absolutely zero bombast from Uncharted 3 (zero big events. Zero. Really, nothing that makes you go "wow" and nothing you'll remember. The puzzles are the big thing this time around) and none of the personality or story from Uncharted 2.

Touch QTE's are much worse than button QTE's by the way. And whoever thought repeatedly sliding your finger upwards ("Has never experienced your mum?" - Ed) for 3 minutes to row a boat while Drake natters away was having a laugh.

There's one single good puzzle that requires you hold the camera up to a light source, which was very innovative and never repeated throughout the game. Every single other puzzle either (a) involving "sliding" blocks (b) tediously "wiping" an object clean or (c) "rotating" pieces of a picture and "sliding" them into place. That's right, they went fucking nuts over the touch screen and no one had the foresight to tell them that people don't play Uncharted because it's like the back pages of Woman's Own/Bella/Pick Me Up or whatever bored housewives read these days when they're not cheating on their husbands.

Looks nice though and voice acting is, as ever, great. So 2/10. That's a point for each.
Really? I thought Uncharted on Vita was great!

I've taken a break from Persona 4 on my Vita now in order to play Hotline Miami, which is fantasticals. I also bought the PSP Sega Megadrive Collection as it's going cheap at the moment on PSN and found that the emulation actually seems better running through the Vita than it did on the PSP (I had the original UMD years ago). I'd have thought having a system emulating another system emulating another system would be nightmare fuel, but, like I say, the games seem to run better on the Vita. I can only assume that the Vita emulates the PSP with it's CPU running full-pelt, whereas it's downclocked in the original hardware.
Hotline Miami is a brilliant fit for Vita. It's bloody aces.

Uncharted really was boring though.
Superfrog HD online! £7.99 PS+ and a tenner for the rest. It's also a crossbuy with the Vita.

Comes with 22 levels and a level editor apparently,
That sounds expensive to me. I have nice memories of Superfrog but I have a feeling that the gameplay won't hold up to my current standards.
TheVision wrote:
That sounds expensive to me. I have nice memories of Superfrog but I have a feeling that the gameplay won't hold up to my current standards.

You're right. You can't put it on a shelf and you wouldn't have time to play it.
SilentElk wrote:
TheVision wrote:

You're right. You can't put it on a shelf and you wouldn't have time to play it.

And there's the reason why you're my new best friend. You know exactly what I'm like.
It's LEGO! It's LORD OF THE RINGS! It's LEGO: LORD OF THE RINGS!

Bit of a confession to make here, guys. I've never ever played a LEGO game. I've played with LEGO, sure, but never any of the Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Batman, Potter etc. Nowt. Ever. So imagine my surprise to discover it's the blandest, dullest pile of shit I've ever played. Collect bits of LEGO, swap characters, smash stuff, build stuff with LEGO. Or Lego. It's all very very tedious. They couldn't even do a feckin' shadow under your character so you can tell where you're jumping. I've been playing games for years so imagine my embarrassment to fall into lava so many times. Fecking hell, I was better at jumping across lava as a yoof in Rastan. Everything about this game screams boredom. Such as the fighting. Do combo's by pressing square a lot. I would if there was any feedback but things just take a loads of hits then disappear or glow red and disappear. Who gives a fuck. I thought LEGO games are supposed to be funny though? Not even swiping a few lines from the film or a funny gollum face on a lego body could keep me entertained. Seriously, I can't see the fuss with these games if this is what they're all about. Bland, bland, bland. Bland. Offensively bland.
Must be interesting to come to one fresh now. My favourite was always Indiana Jones.
Lego LotR isn't the best example of a Lego game. Also I can't imagine playing it single player on a Vita is the best way to experience it either.
Oh man, I like When Vikings Attack. It's madcap fun on the wireless with online players. Smash a phone box in my face will ya? Have this limo in your jacksy!

It's disposable, sure, but well worth a couple of goes for shits and giggles.
Just had a gander at some Superfrog footage and, boy, it looks like some Amiga PD rubbish. Time ain't been kind to it, aye.
Just trying some demos and junk.

Rayman: Legends - Bloody brilliant. That castle rock level was ace (even though it really was just a play forming QTE) and the Invaded Speed Runs were decent too. Man, it looks lovely on the big screen but I reckon is prefer it on the Vita so I could play it in bite sized bursts. I hope it does well as its clearly a labour of love for the animators.
[quote="Saturnalian]That castle rock level was ace (even though it really was just a play forming QTE)[/quote]

It was barely even that, but it was still one of the most hilarious gaming things I've experienced in a long time. I'm not a fan of the series as a whole (although there's obviously a lot of love, talent, polish and skill gone into it) but hats off to whomever came up with that.
Did I say play forming?

Anyhoo, yeah it was really well put together. The musical timing was excellent. I've never been a fan of the earlier games but Origins before this is a different beast altogether and nothing like the crap before that.
Moving on: Obb & Ibb.

2 player platforming? Minimalist stylings? Desperately trying to be indie? Yup, yup, yup. Utterly bland? Not really that clever at all? Worthless in single player? Yup, yup and yup.
I've got fond memories of Zeno Clash. The palace gardens, the Rob Hubbard soundtrack, smoke bombs, dragons, katanas etc so imagine my disappointment when I started Zeno Clash II to find out it was a first person brawler in the Condemned stylee. But shit. You can punch a warthog-man in the face until he crumples to the floor though. It was a steaming pile of shoddy garbage from what little I played before I got bored and deleted it.

No, hang on, that was The Last Ninja.
Saturnalian wrote:
Moving on: Obb & Ibb.

2 player platforming? Minimalist stylings? Desperately trying to be indie? Yup, yup, yup. Utterly bland? Not really that clever at all? Worthless in single player? Yup, yup and yup.

Ah, I won't bother with this then. I'd downloaded it without knowing anything about it anyway so I wasn't exactly invested in it.
Puppeteer demo is now up. I'd downloaded it earlier and forgot about it. I'll have a go tomorrow now. Tch. Looks quite nice though.

ALSO: Retro fans! Can you remember DUCKTAILS!? Me neither.

... oh, it's back! But this time with mega hand drawn graphics and, um, sprites and bitmaps. The screenshots look nice so anyone who liked Ducktails on the, um, NES(?) should totally, like, be interested or summats.
Page 4 of 6 [ 278 posts ]
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Active Topics