Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: God of war (PS4)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:05 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I will buy this.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:59 
Hello Hello Hello

I played this all night again last night, I only stopped when the battery on my Shield tablet failed after several hours. I use the Shield as my walkthrough companion, and have it sat next to me on the couch.

(I'm using IGN's walkthrough, which really is very good. If I were playing by myself I'd be missing so much stuff it'd properly start to drive me potty.)

http://www.ign.com/wikis/god-of-war-201 ... alkthrough

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 14:12 
Excellent Member

Downloaded this yesterday, will play later once I've had enough of lying in the sun. Mr. flis is watching the Leinster final at about 4 so that would seem like a good time!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:46 

Such a good game was looking at Reddit this morning and saw a guy had bought a replica Leviathan Axe from Etsy for a couple hundred dollars, I was so close to ordering one myself! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:48 
Bad Girl

Pic link from reddit https://i.redd.it/2iqguz4lb1611.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:49 

Thanks! I'm at work atm so I can't really get on reddit :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 22:54 
Hello Hello Hello

I spent over two hours this evening just doing a single 'favour' quest line, which is basically an optional quest that you can skip entirely and has nothing to do with the main 'campaign' quest line.

And then even within this optional quest, there's an optional battle against an Anicent. You leave him alone, he'll leave you alone, but I wanted the stuff he was carrying, so unfortunately he had to go. Tough fight, took me 20 minutes or so to get him down, many deaths!

I think the joy in this game (for me at least) is really trying to see and experience as much of it as possible, charging through the campaign from start to finish would be rather missing the point IMO.

There are so many exquisite touches in the game, even really subtle stuff like specific sound cues during battles so you know that certain things have happened around you even if you can't see them, and can react accordingly.

The graphics are jaw-dropping, I think we're at the point now where 'PC = More Shinies' is already untrue, or very close to being untrue. And as much as I like to tweak graphics settings in PC games, it is nice to just be able to pick 'Favour Performance' mode, and leave it at that. Then again, I haven't seen it running on a base PS4, so that might be a different proposition.

Awesome stuff, loving every minute of it. *

* Actually, except for those 'timed rune chests' where you have to hit three bells in a very tight timeframe to get the chest to open, one of those in particular was really starting to piss me off, although it didn't help that I'm a bit cack-handed at running around and aiming multiple times in quick succession with a pad. I much prefer the rune chests where you simply have to find the three bells and destroy them at your leisure.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:58 

Ah yes, the nornir chests. I don't like those either.

Protip for you here, the ancients do a thing where they lean over on their backs and fire like explosive rounds all over the place - They are vulnerable during this just as much as when they are firing normally at you.

Oh and as well, don't forget you can pick up those little bits that come off and throw them at the ancients. (You'll be seeing plenty more ancients before the end of the game)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:20 
Hello Hello Hello

Kris wrote:
Oh and as well, don't forget you can pick up those little bits that come off and throw them at the ancients. (You'll be seeing plenty more ancients before the end of the game)

Yes I was doing that for the fight, the game teaches you that the first time you come across an ancient :)

The problem I was having was not taking cover properly so some of his attacks were getting through, and the Fire Draugur (sic?) that turn up during the fight weren't helping either.

In the end I found a really big tree that I could fully hide behind to get out of line of sight of all the ancient's attacks, and also pick off the Draugur with ranged attacks when they showed up. I'd also let my managing of the ancient's stun meter get a bit sloppy, and wasn't utilising Atreus at maximum efficiency, so with proper discipline on those aspects of things, and running out to pummel him mercilessly when his stun meter was full, the final attempt where I killed him went pretty smoothly.

That's one of the things I really like about the game, you need to get it right - or you'll die. Lots.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:26 

On I think 99% of bigger fights, they introduce those to help bring up your rage-o-meter and drop the health shards.

As soon as you can I would recommend getting Atreus some of the "Runic Armour" it'll let him find health shards throughout the fight and throw them at you automatically, has saved my ass on more than one occasion.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:27 
Rude Belittler

I actually liked the puzzle chests, some are right sneaky.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:28 

Don't mind the ones that you have to BREAK the runes but when you have to chime the fucking bells and run about like a twat trying to throw your axe at shit; it just gets annoying.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 15:25 
Hello Hello Hello

Yes they feel really rather out of place considering how cleverly everything else is designed and implemented. One of them had me cursing at it like fuck the other night.

As I noted above, the normal ones where you just have to find and break the runes are fine, the timed ones are a bag of bottoms. (Although for someone adept with a pad I suspect they'll be somewhat trivial, which I think is why the time limit is so tight.)

Then again, that's about the only criticism I have of the game, and it's a really trivial nitpick for something entirely optional within the game itself, which says something about how stellar it is in general.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 15:47 

Just wait til you get to niflheim then tell me you think its trivial.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 16:13 
Bad Girl

I didn’t think they were that bad. Usually you just have to stand in the right place.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:24 
Hello Hello Hello

You know what's really good in this game? (SPOILER - EVERYTHING.)

Checkpointing.

Not very glamorous I'll give you that but in a game where you die as often as this, quite an important point.

Checkpointing done wrong can be awful, we all know the frustration of making a reasonable amount of progression in a game, dying, and then finding that the game last checkpointed an irritating amount of time ago. (Or perhaps you just need to stop playing for the session for whatever reason, and get the dreaded 'all unsaved progress will be lost' message, and sometimes you don't even know how much progress that might be.)

A manual save/load seems like the obvious option, (although not all games even deign to offer us that as it 'compromises their artistic vision' - STILL FUCKING LOOKING AT YOU BIOSHOCK FUCKING INFINITE), and indeed God of War does feature a manual save/load - but the checkpointing is so good you don't even need it.

At first I was a bit wary, and was manually saving quite regularly almost through force of habit, but as I've progressed through the game I've been doing it less and less, to the extent now that I can't remember the last time I saved manually, as the autosaving is so comprehensive.

In fact, rather than 'checkpointing' I'd describe it more as practically 'constant saving', almost like it's running as a background task, and then every time you move to a new area or something significant happens, it creates a new autosave (preserving the previous one) and uses that as the new 'constant save' location.

Basically, saving/loading/checkpointing/progress maintenance/etc is a total non-issue. Finished playing? Just quit the game and you can be sure you'll have an incredibly recent save to go back to when you next continue the game from the title screen.

Final example of how nice it is. There was one bit where I was taking on a baddy that was borderline for my level and equipment, but I was determined to kill him. The autosave put me back a hundred yards from him or so, and there were a couple of things to collect on the path down to him. When I first got to that area, I collected the two things on the way down and then he killed me, the game put me back to its autosave (literally about a 15 second run), but the two collectible things remained collected and in my inventory. So for each subsequent attempt at the kill, I didn't have to faff about collecting the two things on the run down.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:05 

Satsuma wrote:
I didn’t think they were that bad. Usually, you just have to stand in the right place.

How far through the game did you get? When I was in Niflheim; I couldn't find for the life of me all the bells it was ridiculous.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 13:53 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
Final example of how nice it is. There was one bit where I was taking on a baddy that was borderline for my level and equipment, but I was determined to kill him. The autosave put me back a hundred yards from him or so, and there were a couple of things to collect on the path down to him. When I first got to that area, I collected the two things on the way down and then he killed me, the game put me back to its autosave (literally about a 15 second run), but the two collectible things remained collected and in my inventory. So for each subsequent attempt at the kill, I didn't have to faff about collecting the two things on the run down.

This is standard in every game I can think of going back years. I suspect it's at least partly because collectibles are often tied to trophies/achievements and it makes no sense for a trophy to pop because you picked something up then having that thing removed from your inventory if you subsequently died.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 13:56 
Bad Girl

Kris wrote:
Satsuma wrote:
I didn’t think they were that bad. Usually, you just have to stand in the right place.

How far through the game did you get? When I was in Niflheim; I couldn't find for the life of me all the bells it was ridiculous.

I finished it. I opened every chest I found too and I was looking for everything I could find. I even went back after I finished and mopped up every area I could think of. I didn’t 100% it though, I’m not a monster.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 14:18 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
This is standard in every game I can think of going back years. I suspect it's at least partly because collectibles are often tied to trophies/achievements and it makes no sense for a trophy to pop because you picked something up then having that thing removed from your inventory if you subsequently died.

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned then, as I think of saves as a 'point in time', so if you load the save in (manually or automatically), you rewind everything to that point in time.

One of the two things was just some Hacksilver though, which is the basic currency in the game and not linked to anything trophy/achievement wise that I'm aware of - and that didn't respawn either.

Anyway it was nice and I liked it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 14:43 

Satsuma wrote:
Kris wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

I finished it. I opened every chest I found too and I was looking for everything I could find. I even went back after I finished and mopped up every area I could think of. I didn’t 100% it though, I’m not a monster.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Did you kill all the Valkyries? The queen is a fucking twat.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 17:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Why don't games have demos any more?

I want to try this :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 17:12 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:

Because they put people off more than they entice them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 17:14 

I can send you my copy to play if you send it back after?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 17:18 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:

The last fight I was in, I chucked my axe at a dude, it stuck in his head, I punched another guy in the face then killed him by stomping on his head, then magically called my axe back my hand out of the first dudes head, before I sliced him the fuck up.

You'll enjoy it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 18:43 
Rude Belittler

This is definitely a Grim.. game.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 18:49 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:

Just get it. It's one of the best games ever.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 18:53 
Rude Belittler

Pundabaya wrote:
This is definitely a Grim.. game.

I mean, it doesn't have a shotgun, but it does have a fucking huge axe that you can throw into people's skulls, and then recall to your hand. It's pretty fucking metal.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 19:09 
Hello Hello Hello

The combat is stunningly good, if you're not fussed about all the exploring and lore and puzzles, they're entirely skippable. (Although I think that'd be missing a lot of the great stuff the game has to offer.)

I've put quite a lot of points into my various skill trees now, and got some nice new gear and upgrades, special powers etc, Kratos and Atreus are absolutely butt-kicking head-stomping arrow-shooting badasses.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:27 
Hello Hello Hello

I played this for over two hours last night and didn't advance the campaign one tiny little bit, I didn't even do any of the 'favour' sidequests, I was literally just exploring the hidden areas of the map to reveal them, and cleaned out one of the 'sub-areas' which are like small self-contained mini zones within a bigger zone, with their own baddies to kill and little puzzles to solve and goodies to find.

I was quite happy rowing around, exploring, gathering world dewdrop tear thingies, and listening to the chatter between the occupants of my boat.

I came across one baddy who was four levels higher than me, thought I'd have a crack at him and he one-shotted me, so that'll be one to return to later.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:44 
Hello Hello Hello

Tchoh, here's a bit of an annoyance, I went back to an area I'd previously cleared out because I missed a treasure location I have the map for. (I'm using the walkthrough but I try to do things myself first, and then check the walkthrough for things I might have missed.)

The enemies at this location had respawned, which is fine, I killed them OK first time so wasn't expecting too much trouble. However, it had decided to replace the normal tunneling worm thingies with a bastard that's four levels higher than me and one-shots me, and is almost impossible to stun or use my normal moves on, and has five health segments to boot. (And I can't block its attacks either, and can scarcely dodge them.)

And this is on top of the normal enemies that it respawned there as well. (They all spawn at exactly the same time too.)

After dying about ten times in quick succession I figured the fight was basically impossible at my current character level, gear level, and ability level, and had to bin it off. (I tried just running to the treasure location but it wouldn't let me reveal the treasure as a fight was in progress.)

I have no idea why it decided to put this uber effectively unkillable baddy there on my second visit to the area, as it basically means I can't go back and get the treasure until the treasure itself will be rendered largely moot anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 13:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The game's cheating because you're cheating.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 15:43 
UltraMod

Giphy "nelson haha":
https://media3.giphy.com/media/5AC7KaNyKgNbO/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 15:44 
UltraMod

Not quite what I had in mind, but it'll do.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:07 
Hello Hello Hello

:shrug:

It suits the way I want to play this game that I have the walkthrough available to refer to, I'm not much of a one for puzzley type things in games, and I'm not very good at them either - so I'm enjoying the game a lot more with the walkthrough than I would without.

I don't think this is a game to play through more than once - (unlike say, Dishonored 2 where I wanted to do a low and high chaos run) - so I'd like to see as much as possible on the journey.

It's not like it removes the challenge from the game either, as the fights aren't going to do themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 19:50 

It's possible you picked up another quest that spawned the enemies?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:31 
Hello Hello Hello

Not that I'm aware of, although it's possible I suppose. Having returned to a couple of the other little self-contained sub-areas, it seems that the games does put one super-hard baddy in each of them when you return to them after having cleaned the area out on a previous visit. It seems that it's usually possibly to just avoid it completely if you want to, but unfortunately in that one area it's impossible to get to the treasure without spawning it.

Either way it's no biggy, I'll just return and kick the thing's ass when I'm able to :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:06 

How far through are you then?

(You can use spoiler tags if you like)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:59 
Hello Hello Hello

Don't think this needs to be spoiler tagged, as I won't go into any specifics.

I'm on the quest 'The Magic Chisel' which isn't even halfway through the campaign, but I've really been taking my time, in particular I spent five hours or more just fully exploring the Lake of Nine once the water had completely dropped.

A mate of mine bought the game a few days ago and he's already up to the same spot in the campaign as me, we were chatting about it yesterday and he's missed entire sub-areas along the way, so it's very much a case of how you want to play it I suppose. (He's going to do some backtracking now he's aware of how much stuff he's missed.)

In particular he's missed loads of XP opportunities so hasn't been able to develop his skill trees nearly as much as I have, so for example I have Atreus completely maxed out already along with Ranged Combat and am close with Shield Combat and Close Combat, which he hasn't been able to afford. (I'll do Rage Combat last, since that's a bit of a niche and you're basically indestructible in Rage mode anyway.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:39 
Bad Girl

The thing is, some special skills required to access certain areas and open certain chests which aren’t unlockable and require the story to be progressed. I forget how many abilities there are, maybe 3, that are dished our during the campaign and unless you’ve got those abilities you’ll be needing to revisit areas around the lake multiple times. I did a lot of exploring but when I clocked onto this I’d push the story forward more until I’d got those abilities before I’d do a sweep around the lake and the surrounding areas. Plus, I’d missed a lot before I’d finished the game but then I came back after the conclusion to mop up the more difficult challenges and bits I’d missed (there’s no NG+, you’re free to explore). And that secret ending of course!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:18 

They are releasing a NG+ soon though ;)

I enjoyed the secret ending, has me very looking forward to the future of the newly revitalised franchise.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:47 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm so shit at remembering my skills in the middle of combat, and TBH I can't help but think that most of them aren't significant anyway.

The thing is, the game can't assume that you do or don't have any particular skill, as it doesn't know how much XP you'll have harvested and what you'll have chosen to spend it on, so all the fights have to be doable with pretty much the 'default' Kratos and Atreus.

Although I am up to the bit now where the game has taken Atreus off me so I've got to do things by myself. So the familiar genre trope of 'taking your guns off you halfway through the game when you get captured'.

The most important things to make sure you're doing during combat (IMO at least) are dodging, blocking and parrying, and using the resulting situations to attack the enemies without getting twatted yourself - all of which are available as standard moves from the off and which the game makes a very big deal of explaining to you during the first fights in the game.

I keep reviewing my skills out of combat and try to remember to incorporate the various button combos during combat, but almost always fall back to standard style basic ranged attacks, using Atreus, dodging, blocking and parrying, using openings to attack enemies, get the ranged fuckers down first etc etc.

I mean, it's nice that the skills are there, but they sort of feel like window dressing a lot of the time.

I did the 'double boss fight' last night where you take on the two brothers simultaneously, that was a fucking epic fight.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:41 

That double brothers fight is REALLY good; I did it first time even though I was very nearly dead when it ended I legit thought I was going to die from a poison or something and have to redo it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 13:00 
Hello Hello Hello

I died right at the end and was like, 'Oh fucking hell do I have to do the entire fight again?'......

It put me back at the start of phase five, where both brothers have 20% health left.

This game does thoroughly excellent things like that all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 13:08 

Oh tell me about it, so forgiving on boss fights to let you resume from a cheeky checkpoint.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:36 
Hello Hello Hello

Finished the campaign last night, it was getting rather later but I was like, 'I'm seeing the end of this game tonight, motherfuckers'.

I'll definitely carry on and finish the meatier stuff I still have remaining, such as Favours (side quests) and treasure maps, but I'm not fussed about completing all the achievement style things, finding all the ravens and suchlike. I definitely want to go and kill some Valkyries though as they kicked my ass the first time I encountered them.

If you have a PS4 - get God Of War. An essential gaming experience IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:38 

I went through and killed all but one of the valkyries, the trick is dodging them, slowly chip away its a marathon not a sprint.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 15:01 
Prince of Fops

After a life-enforced hiatus, I'm back in God of War country. And am seemingly very early on in the game. Just got to the lake. Went for a little row and explore. Hopped in a lift. Got one-hit killed by a couple of Level 6 twats. Chastened, decided to stick with the main quest for the time being.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 15:43 
Hello Hello Hello

Findus Fop wrote:
After a life-enforced hiatus, I'm back in God of War country. And am seemingly very early on in the game. Just got to the lake. Went for a little row and explore. Hopped in a lift. Got one-hit killed by a couple of Level 6 twats. Chastened, decided to stick with the main quest for the time being.

I'll spoilertag this as it is technically a spoiler, but not really. i.e. I think you'd be OK to read it.

The water in the lake will drop once, and then once again, as you progress through the campaign. Before it drops for the first time you're really quite limited in what you can explore in and around the lake. After the first drop there's more to do, after the second drop it's all revealed.

I would genuinely consider using the IGN walkthrough at least to get a sense of what's available, there's quite a lot of stuff in the game that can be missed, entirely by accident.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 16:41 
Prince of Fops

Hearthly wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

I'll spoilertag this as it is technically a spoiler, but not really. i.e. I think you'd be OK to read it.

The water in the lake will drop once, and then once again, as you progress through the campaign. Before it drops for the first time you're really quite limited in what you can explore in and around the lake. After the first drop there's more to do, after the second drop it's all revealed.

I would genuinely consider using the IGN walkthrough at least to get a sense of what's available, there's quite a lot of stuff in the game that can be missed, entirely by accident.

Cheers! The level of the lake has dropped once (as in I chucked my axe in the water and had a chat with a manky old serpent). I hate using guides, it makes me feel like I'm going to start playing the game wrong if I ignore the guide. Can you give a spoilered example of the kind of cool thing I should keep my eye out for, that I might miss?

Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next