Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler thread: discuss all films
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:52 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Keep up, they were broken in Spider-Man: Homecoming.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:33 
Sleepyhead

Doesn’t invalidate the point though. Instead of fighting Thanos, they should have been having a meeting to make sure they were all agreed and that there wouldn’t be unfortunate collateral damage.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:43 
Unpossible!

Curiosity wrote:
Doesn’t invalidate the point though. Instead of fighting Thanos, they should have been having a meeting to make sure they were all agreed and that there wouldn’t be unfortunate collateral damage.

There would have been much less damage and death if they'd just given Thanos what he wanted, seeing as he won anyway

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:43 

Curio’s got a point. The Stark who was hand wringing about collateral damage in Civil War is nowhere to be seen in Infinity War. The first minions show up and he suits up and bang, it’s a scenery-trashing rumble in Manhattan again.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:45 
Unpossible!

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Curio’s got a point. The Stark who was hand wringing about collateral damage in Civil War is nowhere to be seen in Infinity War. The first minions show up and he suits up and bang, it’s a scenery-trashing rumble in Manhattan again.

They did coincidentally land right next to him and Pepper. Not a lot of thinking time to be had

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:44 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

It's almost like character continuity in the MCU is a fucking mess, and character development and motivations change with the bloody sunrise.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:02 

You’re not wrong. Stark, in particular, has been poorly handled. I did enjoy how Winter Soldier sets Cap up for the role he plays in Civil War, though — distrustful of government authority that the First Avenger Cap would have accepted much more willingly.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 13:21 
Sleepyhead

Winter Soldier is ace.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 14:17 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
You’re not wrong. Stark, in particular, has been poorly handled. I did enjoy how Winter Soldier sets Cap up for the role he plays in Civil War, though — distrustful of government authority that the First Avenger Cap would have accepted much more willingly.

Yeah, Cap is one of the more consistent (I'd say Thor and Loki are probably most consistent, but that's only really been since Ragnarok, and Infinity War tramples all over the end of Ragnarok to a degree)

Stark has wildly different personalities between "his" films and the Avengers films, it's really jarring. He actually goes through a pretty decent character arc between Iron Man 1, 2 and 3 - but each of the Avengers films between those basically undoes entire sections of it each time.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 17:33 
Rude Belittler

The thing about Stark is... He was the only one who saw the full Chitauri threat in Avengers. If you look at his decisions since then they're all based on the fact that he's the only one who sees the bigger picture. That's why he created Ultron, that's why he keeps on building the armour. That's why he wanted the Avengers to be fully above board, because you can't fight Earth's corner from the shadows.

And whoops here comes the invincible alien warlord, and everything's fucked, and Tony was right all along.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 18:05 

Hmmm. I agree Loki is consistent, but he also doesn’t change, so that’s easy enough to pull off. Cap actually has some modest character development in there. Still, it’s pretty weak tea that this is an MCU highlight.

I imagine part of it is that Marvel are scared of losing people who miss a film. Although I think that ship has sailed anyway.

Related: I really liked this piece (which I may have posted before) https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/m ... v-box-sets It’s central thesis is that Infinity War is a mess if considered as a film, but a really good finale episode of season three of the world’s most expensive-to-make box set.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 22:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Loki went from bad guy to good guy, I think saying he doesn't change is a bit much.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 22:18 
Sleepyhead

Pundabaya wrote:
The thing about Stark is... He was the only one who saw the full Chitauri threat in Avengers. If you look at his decisions since then they're all based on the fact that he's the only one who sees the bigger picture. That's why he created Ultron, that's why he keeps on building the armour. That's why he wanted the Avengers to be fully above board, because you can't fight Earth's corner from the shadows.

And whoops here comes the invincible alien warlord, and everything's fucked, and Tony was right all along.

Then why did he spend a whole movie dedicated to saying you could only fight the invincible alien warlord if the UN first passed a resolution against him?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:47 

Pundabaya wrote:

Iron Man 3 ends with Stark finally being free of his need to be in a suit. He acknowledges that he is Iron Man, not the suit. He has the shrapnel and whatever removed from his chest, and has all of his suits destroyed to prove to Pepper that he can be free of his obsession. Hell, a huge part of the film is him trying to get shit done without his suit, because he has no other option.

Then comes Ultron, and suddenly he's back in his suits and all of that character arc was destroyed within the first 5 minutes.

I get that he's PTSD'd up to the nines, but it's lazy writing IMO.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 16:18 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I thought Stark was suited up in Ultron, as they were running anti hydra missions. He created Ultron, so he could stop being an avenger, as the planet would be protected.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 17:20 
Rude Belittler

Yeah, the revelations in the Winter Soldier are enough to explain why Stark has suited up again in Ultron. It would have been nice for it to be mentioned in the film.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 17:29 

Pundabaya wrote:
Yeah, the revelations in the Winter Soldier are enough to explain why Stark has suited up again in Ultron. It would have been nice for it to be mentioned in the film.

Yeah, but by this logic, by the time we get to Civil War, Stark should be dead set against signing the Sokovia Accords in the same way that Captain America is - the Government can clearly no longer be trusted, as evidenced by the Insight helicarriers in Winter Soldier.

His entire character is just a mess of continuity that I don't think can be explained "canonically". Watch Iron Man 1, 2 and 3 in succession and his character arc makes perfect sense. Stick the Avengers films in between, and possibly his other appearances in Captain America and Spider-Man, and suddenly he's flip-flopping around more than Theresa May at a Tory party conference ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 22:32 
UltraMod

Almost up to date now. Doctor Strange was enjoyable, Ragnarok was decent but not as good as I'd been led to believe. Black Panther was excellent.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 15:35 
INFINITE POWAH

GazChap wrote:
Pundabaya wrote:

Iron Man 3 ends with Stark finally being free of his need to be in a suit. He acknowledges that he is Iron Man, not the suit. He has the shrapnel and whatever removed from his chest, and has all of his suits destroyed to prove to Pepper that he can be free of his obsession. Hell, a huge part of the film is him trying to get shit done without his suit, because he has no other option.

Then comes Ultron, and suddenly he's back in his suits and all of that character arc was destroyed within the first 5 minutes.

I get that he's PTSD'd up to the nines, but it's lazy writing IMO.

Yeah, but mostly Stark couldn't fight his way out out of a paper bag without the suits. What else was he going to do with Thanos? Sass him to death?

Also wtf marvel? Shit ending

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 16:10 
ugvm'er at heart...

Ant Man and The Wasp is out, is everybody going to be queuing up to watch it later? Anyone? At all?

I'll probably go see it at the cinema at some point, as I have some free vouchers left.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 16:19 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I'll probably go. Loved Ant Man and more Evangeline Lilly is always good.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 17:03 
Isn't that lovely?

I'll see it as soon as I have the time to take the kids to see it, so probably in a fortnight.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 18:45 
Excellent Member

I'm hoping to get to it sometime this weekend. I really enjoyed the first one and might even be able to drag Mrs B given that it'll be pretty stand-alone and not require much back story.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 18:56 
Unpossible!

Cras wrote:
I'll probably go. Loved Ant Man and more Evangeline Lilly is always good.

She wears a tight leather catsuit in this one too. Unf.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 19:20 
Sleepyhead

I’m seeing it at the BFI IMAX tomorrow :DD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 21:37 
Rude Belittler

I've seen it, it's great!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 0:01 
UltraMod

Some good moments, but overall Infinity War is a bit of a mess. Very much suffered from being half a story too.

Not MCU's finest hour after some really brilliant recent films. Disappointing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 0:05 
Bad Girl

You’re just a wrong un.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 0:13 
Bad Girl

Anyhoo, I saw Ant-Man & the Wasp. It was entirely bleh.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 0:19 
UltraMod

Satsuma wrote:
Anyhoo, I saw Ant-Man & the Wasp. It was entirely bleh.

I'll probably love it then!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 0:49 
Sleepyhead

Ant Man and The Wasp was excellent. Massive departure from the MCU in general, with all background provided via Agent Exposition at the start.

Fun, funny, excellent action, great CGI, smaller (hah) scale in that it’s a rescue operation of one person and not a universe sized problem, and generally just ace.

I’d probably have it above BP and below Ragnarok.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:11 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Lonewolves wrote:
Some good moments, but overall Infinity War is a bit of a mess. Very much suffered from being half a story too.

Every time they talked about 'The Wizards' was brilliant.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:38 
Bad Girl

Don’t forget “I’ll go one better why’s Gamora.”

Antman & The Wasp felt like the Thor: Dark World days of Marvel films where characters motivation is explained in huge boring chunks of exposition. Not only that but the amount of made up “science” that the characters spout is utterly shameful as some scenes are just characters prattling on and on about molecular blah blah while filling airtime with people pressing buttons and machines whirling about. It’s all filler.

The action sequences are rehashed from the original film and largely consist of cars shrinking and expanding. In a film which is largely just pointless and a B-tier marvel film, it’s embarrassing that the director didn’t have any fun with the shrinking/enlarging concept. There’s nothing original or interesting here and only twice do they do anything remotely original - once when they throw a salt pot that grows and another when they throw a giant pez dispenser - and the latter was shown in the trailer! The fighting is, as you can expect, just people punching and kicking and shrinking and enlarging but it’s not really done in an interesting way either and most of it happens too fast for it to be impactful. After Infinity War and recently watching Mission Impossible the fights were just middle of the road and nothing to write home about. The action ended up being the most forgettable part of the film.

Thankfully the film has a few good laughs in it and Paul Rudd does a decent job with his cast of side kicks. The banter with the FBI detective is the real highlight of the film. Oh and the relationship with his daughter which is really nice.

But outside these moments Michael Douglas’ character does an excellent job of sucking all the fun out of each scene. Evangeline Lilly does an equally good job as she pouts her way through to the end but at least she gets to fight people. Mind you I’m sure she even nicks a move from Deadpool during one fight in a car!? The serious characters really stop this from being a fun jaunt and every time they’re on screen the action slows down and the laughs stop. Walton Goggins (who we know can act his balls off when given half the chance) continues his downward spiral as another pointless baddie role. What the hell is this guy thinking. Get him a proper character role for fucks sake. The new Ghost character was meh: the outfit design was cool but she was boring and her lone speaking part was just a massive exposition dump about how she doesn’t like such and such.

Oh I almost forgot about the story! Just like the people who made this film, aye? Yeah, it’s trash but no one watches these films for the plot, right, except Infinity War cause it’s badass (although I’ll still be pissed if people come back from the dead even though I know they will).

The ants were great though. I’d rather have a spin off film about them than another Antman film.

TLDR: Funny in parts, bland action, the CGI wasn’t bad, generally pointless, not worth watching but inoffensive enough. It was still infinitely more watchable than Black Panther though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:39 
UltraMod

Black Panther was ace, fool.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:27 
Bad Girl

Lonewolves wrote:

Hahahahahaha. You’re hilarious. Tell me more jokes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 13:17 
UltraMod

Satsuma wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Hahahahahaha. You’re hilarious. Tell me more jokes.

You have a very good taste in fillums

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 13:36 

Went to see Ant Man and the Wasp last night. Was pretty good, and apart from being very derivative of the first film I thought it was one of the MCU's best, again primarily because of the lack of "world ending" consequences to the plot.

Satsuma wrote:
Not only that but the amount of made up “science” that the characters spout is utterly shameful

Made up science in film about having the technology to shrink/enlarge objects shocker ;)

Satsuma wrote:
it’s embarrassing that the director didn’t have any fun with the shrinking/enlarging concept.

I agree that the action scenes weren't very interesting, but I'm not sure how you can have fun with the concept beyond what they've already done? Even the salt pot/Pez dispenser thing was a throw back to the Thomas The Tank Engine in the first film.

Satsuma wrote:
Oh I almost forgot about the story! Just like the people who made this film, aye?

The plot was fine for me. The only part that grated was that both the good guys and Ghost needed to do exactly the same thing as the first step of their respective plans, so I'd have liked to have seen some sort of co-operative work there only for one side to double cross the other later on rather than them just being at each other's throats the entire time - you still had the black market dealer as the out-and-out bad guy, so making Ghost a bit more complicated as a character would have been welcome.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 14:20 
Bad Girl

GazChap wrote:
Satsuma wrote:
Not only that but the amount of made up “science” that the characters spout is utterly shameful

Made up science in film about having the technology to shrink/enlarge objects shocker ;)

There's a wealth of films that do made-up science without filling dead air with characters talking endless amounts of gibberish and precious time filled with fiddling with machines and shots of equipment firing up. This isn't even an attempt at serious sci-fi, so it's inexcusable. It's filler.

GazChap wrote:
Satsuma wrote:
it’s embarrassing that the director didn’t have any fun with the shrinking/enlarging concept.

I agree that the action scenes weren't very interesting, but I'm not sure how you can have fun with the concept beyond what they've already done? Even the salt pot/Pez dispenser thing was a throw back to the Thomas The Tank Engine in the first film.

Hang on, doesn't the comic book go back to the 70's? I'm not up on the comics but surely there's tons of interesting stuff in the source material that they could have used if they were struggling for ideas beyond - car go down, car go up, car go down, car go up. And that's even if you can excuse the lack of imagination and creativity on the part of the writers and producers. Which I don't. I certainly don't feel the need to apologise on their behalf because they ran out of material in the first time. If that's the case then the sequel is pointless. Which it is, really.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 14:28 
SavyGamer

a lot of the made up science was just saying the word "quantum" a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 14:53 
sneering elitist

I enjoyed Ant Man & the Wasp last night but do agree re: the droning on about quantum this, that & the other. It felt like somewhat tedious filler in an otherwise enjoyable film.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 15:14 

Jem wrote:
I enjoyed Ant Man & the Wasp last night but do agree re: the droning on about quantum this, that & the other. It felt like somewhat tedious filler in an otherwise enjoyable film.

What else could they realistically do, though? Any science technobabble is going to sound like filler because it's all bollocks, basically, isn't it?

At least the writers were semi-aware that it was all filler bollocks, with Paul Rudd's character asking if they're just putting the word "quantum" in front of everything.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 17:52 
Rude Belittler

Worth it for the truth serum scene alone.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 18:42 
Unpossible!

Pundabaya wrote:
Worth it for the truth serum scene alone.

There's no such thing!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:51 
sneering elitist

GazChap wrote:
Jem wrote:

What else could they realistically do, though? Any science technobabble is going to sound like filler because it's all bollocks, basically, isn't it?

At least the writers were semi-aware that it was all filler bollocks, with Paul Rudd's character asking if they're just putting the word "quantum" in front of everything.

I didn't say I had a better idea :p

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:56 
Hibernating Druid

Lonewolves wrote:

Your face is a bit of a mess and only half a story. Disappointing.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 15:36 
INFINITE POWAH

Enjoyed Infinity War a lot (although the deaths at the end were irritating in that it's super obvious that it's not permanent given the various actors' filming schedules) and it actually prompted me to watch Doctor Strange which I'd avoided until now due to an excess of Benedine Cummerbund. Very enjoyable stuff, really well written and always a joy to watch Chiwetel Ejiofor doing anything at all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 15:52 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MrChris wrote:
(although the deaths at the end were irritating in that it's super obvious that it's not permanent given the various actors' filming schedules)

Hi! Welcome to April :kiss:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 15:55 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
MrChris wrote:
(although the deaths at the end were irritating in that it's super obvious that it's not permanent given the various actors' filming schedules)

Hi! Welcome to April :kiss:

Yes, yes, I forgot to add that Michael Jackson was dead and there was a whale in the Thames.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 20:21 
UltraMod

Ant-Man and the Wasp even better than the first one. I'm glad Sat is consistently wrong about all films as it makes it a lot easier to know which ones are good.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 21:56 
Excellent Member

Lonewolves wrote:
Ant-Man and the Wasp even better than the first one. I'm glad Sat is consistently wrong about all films as it makes it a lot easier to know which ones are good.

I enjoyed it, but I reckon it was inferior to the first one. I just felt that the first one did pretty much all the same stuff but better.

Reply to topic  [ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next