Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 15:43 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Oh hey Bamba, I meant to ask you (or did, but you weren't here): Is this iPad thing what you do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpzRqw7KYNE

Yep. Well, not actually me but we've got one in the office currently sitting beside my desk which our Hong Kong based team member dials into for our morning stand-up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 15:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Are they better than, say, a TV and a webcam?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 15:59 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

A TV and a webcam wouldn't do anything. So a TV, a laptop, and a webcam.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 16:13 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Are they better than, say, a TV and a webcam?

The advantage of the robot is that the person controlling can, well, control it. So during the stand up our man Jim can and does swivel it around so he's actually looking at whomever is talking. The downsides though are many:

• The base unit needs to be charged every day and if someone here doesn't remember to do that then your remote user is fucked.
  • You can't move the thing while it's charging so if it's plugged in you can remote into it but you're stuck with a fixed view.
  • The quality of the video you see at each end is dependant on the device you're using. So we get a decent picture of Jim from whatever he's using to connect but as we've got a really shitty old iPad as the head of the robot at our end I suspect he gets some serious pixel-o-vision.
  • The audio is shite. Initially we used it as intended with the iPad on the robot sending and receiving audio but Jim apparently could never hear what was being said so now we're all dialled into a conference number with wireless headsets so Jim can hear us, and we him.
  • You can only control the thing from an iDevice or a desktop with Chrome installed. If you've got an Android device or no Chrome then you're fucked. Chrome on Android doesn't work; we tried it.
  • There's a charging port on the head unit to plug the iPad into so it charges along with the base unit. The robot recently went on it's travels to our Bournemouth office for some event and came back with that port fucked somehow. This means that the iPad has to be removed from the robot and charged separately every day, which we frequently forget to do thus rendering the entire thing useless.

Even aside from the above specific issues the consensus is that they're pretty fucking stupid devices. Maybe if you had a newer type of iPad in the thing you wouldn't get the audio issues we had which might help, but I'm still not convinced that aspect would work well enough to make a decent replacement for the other options.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 16:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cras wrote:

Bro, do you even smart TV?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 16:27 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Grim... wrote:
Cras wrote:

Bro, do you even smart TV?

**Checks CIA log***

Apparently not.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:27 
Excellent Member

Am I being a tit in not being able to get Windows 10 search working as well as previous versions or is it just totally shit and broken? I've got all my files (mp3s, films, TV, etc) on a second internal drive but I've added each of those folders to the relevant Library in Windows to try and get stuff indexed. Even having done that though if I hit Start and start typing a search it never turns up any of my stuff which it used to do flawlessly in Windows 7. Installed apps come back okay but not my actual files.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:30 
Excellent Member

Note that I'm also pretty sure I've done this step to add the individual folder to be indexed:

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1 ... emove.html

I've also done the step at the end to force a rebuild of the index.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:44 
Excellent Member

Quote:
Should get one like mine

Just seen your picture, that's the Cisco telepresence?

We put in Cisco Tandberg a few years ago which is similar but at the time maybe not as good, after 4 years we ditched them.

1 They were only point to point between systems so were used by a small number of people a lot between specific sites where we had them

2 They wouldn't work with Skype for Business very well, this was possible to do but global paid some company a shit load of money and they never got it right.

I ended up having to replace the 5 rooms globally, so we did 1 or 2 84 inch screens along with a good quality camera costing £4,000 and they became Skype rooms so to speak. Also put in retractable cable boxes in the tables and HDMI switches etc.

The Tandberg was not thought out well in our place, I found out during the replacement that the US has removed their system after 12 months as they never used it and stuck it in storage as some big cheese wanted the room as an office, so a 50K system gathered dust for almost 3 years

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 21:11 
Hello Hello Hello

Latest big Windows 10 'Creators' style update being pushed out.

Expect new icons you didn't expect and don't want, adverts will come back even if you've turned them off, and useful IMPORTANT MESSAGES like this which is really fucking relevant when the battery that's been detected is a UPS and not like, y'know, a tablet or a phone.

Oh and more Skype integration as well with some PEOPLE AND FRIENDS popup that I couldn't tell to fuck off quick enough. Does anyone use Skype? For anything?

Attachment:
twatterso.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 21:17 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Mine hasn’t dropped yet which is disappointing as I want the better ink support. Is there any way to force it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 22:24 
Hello Hello Hello

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Mine hasn’t dropped yet which is disappointing as I want the better ink support. Is there any way to force it?

I believe there's an installer you can download to prompt it, otherwise it's 'when it thinks it's ready'.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-get- ... ors-update <<< This is just a Google result, don't blame me if you follow the instructions and your house explodes.

Jnr's PC was hit first with mine following a couple of hours later, but Mrs Hearthly's PC is still cheerfully insisting it's fully up to date.

In all fairness both have gone without issue, but expect 30-45 minutes of downtime whilst it's doing its thing. The clean-up phase was pretty straightforward, in particular Jnr doesn't like new icons or changes to her system so it was just unchecking boxes to make shit go away so it all looked the same as it did before.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 23:53 
Sitting balls-back folder

My two PCs updated in ten minutes after I hit the 'yeah, whatever' button and I can't really tell any difference.

So, yeah, whatever.

I didn't need to do.anything special except check for updates after rebooting after the last cumulative update for the previous version.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:05 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Yes I use skype a lot, mainly for work

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:12 
Hello Hello Hello

Then you will be delighted with this update!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:05 
Comfortably Dumb

Hearthly wrote:
Does anyone use Skype? For anything?

I use it a fair bit, but the App version is awful. I've no objection to paring features back to make a streamlined app, but there was just fundamental stuff missing, so I ended up downloading the desktop version anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:33 
Excellent Member

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

Mine have all been done for ages, even 3 weeks ago I rebuilt a laptop for our cleaner using a Windows 10 ISO with updates to 2015, creator went on in 30 mins as part of the updates needed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:37 
Excellent Member

I'm seeing an error as follows when copying or moving large files from my NAS to local drives

"Error 0x8007003B “An unexpected network error occurred"

Also seen posts on people getting this when trying to create folders

This was first reported with Anniversary Edition and I have Creators now.

I have Avast Premier which does Firewall and other stuff, when I turned all shields off for 20 mins I had no issue with the copy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:09 
Prince of Fops

There was a small hoo-har after MS removed Paint from its recent Windows 10 update. Like anything you've spent many years with, I thought it was sad to see it go, but wasn't going to lose any sleep over it.

However, I had a go on its replacement with Mini Fop yesterday and it's pretty sweet. It's main USP seems to be 3D object manipulation and AR with the webcam. Will never lead to any Jim'll Paint It masterworks, but it's considerably more fun to fuck around in than Paint ever was (which to, be honest, was the use case for 95% of people, I suspect).

Yesterday Mini Fop had spray painted a 3D train red, stuck some wheels on it and planted it on top of her head using the webcam.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:29 
UltraMod

It's still there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:29 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It hasn't gone anywhere, it's still right there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:34 
Prince of Fops

Did they decide not to remove it then? Or did I imagine it in an exceptionally boring dream?
Anyway, Paint 3D in Windows 10 is good.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:39 
Excellent Member

Findus Fop wrote:
Did they decide not to remove it then? Or did I imagine it in an exceptionally boring dream?
Anyway, Paint 3D in Windows 10 is good.

They were going to remove it entirely--and I think they still technically have if you do a fresh install of the latest Win10 version--but they've put it up on the Windows Store to download for free so anyone who wants it can lay their hands on it.

ETA: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... dows-store

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 22:22 
Hello Hello Hello

A useful, welcome tip from Windows 10.

Considering that this is on my main PC connected to the mains.

The 'battery' it's referring to is a UPS.....

It's not the first time it's lobbed this shit at me either. This evening it happened because I dared to invoke Firefox.

Attachment:
thanko.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:03 
Esoteric

I bought, and paid for, a Windows 10 Pro key about six months or so ago. The only issue with these keys is that you have to phone Microsoft and switch them to your hardware. Good thing is that they can only be switched once, so you know some poopy head isn't going to end up using your key. However, at the time the servers were down (I tried in vain for about a week) and so I erm "Activated" it myself. Ever since then Defender is desperate to get rid of the activation. It has tried numerous times to delete the tool that keeps it activated, even though I continually tell it to leave it alone. I wonder why that is? maybe they are not allowed to just delete it from your PC and must get you to allow it? IDK, strange.

Of course it's easily remedied by simply reinstalling Windows and activating the serial (if their servers are now back up). What was weird is that if you kept trying you got through to a call centre in India. Who of course could not understand me, nor what I was trying to do.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:49 

JohnCoffey wrote:
I bought, and paid for, a Windows 10 Pro key about six months or so ago. The only issue with these keys is that you have to phone Microsoft and switch them to your hardware.
So you bought a bootleg enterprise key off a forum or Reddit for £10-20, yes?

Quote:
However, at the time the servers were down (I tried in vain for about a week)
I don't believe this is true. What you are suggesting happened is that no-one in the world could activate Windows for a week. Think about what you are saying and how big a story that would be. I think it's more likely you were sold a duff key.

Quote:
and so I erm "Activated" it myself.
You pirated it. Right.

Quote:
Ever since then Defender is desperate to get rid of the activation. It has tried numerous times to delete the tool that keeps it activated, even though I continually tell it to leave it alone. I wonder why that is? maybe they are not allowed to just delete it from your PC and must get you to allow it? IDK, strange.
It'll be because you pirated it HTH HAND. If you're lucky, the "tool" doesn't have any actual malware in it.

Quote:
Of course it's easily remedied by simply reinstalling Windows and activating the serial (if their servers are now back up). What was weird is that if you kept trying you got through to a call centre in India. Who of course could not understand me, nor what I was trying to do.
"Why won't Microsoft support my pirated operating system?"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:11 
Esoteric

I bought the key from Amazon. From, who was at the time of purchasing, a reputable company. I made sure to read the feedback first of course. I ordered a new motherboard without thinking to take the serial out of the Alienware board I had before stripping the rig down. So it was a case of "Rebuild entire PC and take serial off" or "Buy key from Amazon from the same place I got two others from before". As for it being an Enterprise key or whatever else? How do I know? I just saw the key and bought it. As I said, I had done it twice before and the only downside I could see was that you had to phone Microsoft for a string of numbers and letters ETC to activate it. However when I phoned there was terrible interference on the line and thus I could not. And if I let it ring out it would go to a call centre in India and they couldn't understand me.

I didn't ask why Microsoft won't support my operating system, but oddly they do. They key is genuine, however I would need to reinstall to activate it correctly which I CBA doing. Don't care about your accusations etc etc.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:17 

It cost nine quid and you're acting surprised it might not be on the up-and-up?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:19 
Unpossible!

I've bought a few OEM codes for family systems. They work. Once. If you change practically any hardware, they'll deactivate. Which is fair enough.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DavPaz wrote:
I've bought a few OEM codes for family systems. They work. Once. If you change practically any hardware, they'll deactivate. Which is fair enough.

:this:

JohnCoffey wrote:
I bought the key from Amazon.

No, you bought the key from "Lizenzking".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:22 

DavPaz wrote:

They're a breach of the Microsoft licence for both you and the licence holder who's minting them and selling them on. The fact they generally work is an artefact of imperfect enforcement by Microsoft, nothing more. I don't care about anyone using them but subsequently getting butthurt at Microsoft detecting the copy of Windows isn't licensed is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:23 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

DavPaz wrote:

They do, but it's still not legit. OEM keys are for OEMs, not consumers. I couldn't care less, but if you pay £9 for something that costs £100, tough shit if it gives you problems tbh.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:23 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

:this:

JohnCoffey wrote:
I bought the key from Amazon.

No, you bought the key from "Lizenzking".

He sounds legit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:30 
Esoteric

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
It cost nine quid and you're acting surprised it might not be on the up-and-up?

How do I know? I did what I would normally do and checked out the seller first. As I said, I had two from them before and they both activated fine once I phoned Microsoft. They also seemed quite professional, and would send you an invoice with your key on in the post.

They also send out what appeared to be a proper invoice with the serial number on which I then put into the box the board came with. I have no idea where they come from but there were loads on Amazon. If the serial was bad or didn't work I would have got a refund, and would not have received it in the post.

I can activate it legitimately but that means hours of messing around. Next time I need to do a full reinstall I will do it then. As for Lizenking? Again, how do I know? all I know is I have Amazon's A-Z. So if it doesn't work I get refunded either way.

DavPaz wrote:

I activated two others by phone. One with the robot, one with a human voice. He told me that I could not transfer it again and this was the last switch because it was OEM, so I said that was fine. I would not have been a repeat customer three times if I suspected they were stolen/whatever else.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:32 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I'm sure they are perfectly legit. But they're selling an OEM license key, which it says in the invoice, and you're not an OEM.

It's very widely done, so nobody's condemning you for doing it, but you don't really get to complain about Microsoft if you have problems with it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:35 
Esoteric

Cras wrote:
I'm sure they are perfectly legit. But they're selling an OEM license key, which it says in the invoice, and you're not an OEM.

It's very widely done, so nobody's condemning you for doing it, but you don't really get to complain about Microsoft if you have problems with it.

I wasn't complaining about it I was just saying that Windows Defender keeps trying to remove a file I have repeatedly told it not to lol.

TBH I hadn't even noticed the OEM part. That was only on the paper invoice :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cras wrote:
I'm sure they are perfectly legit. But they're selling an OEM license key

Those two things don't go together ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:45 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

What's the file? If it's something you installed to bypass the activation check then well I can't exactly blame Defender for what it's doing :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:46 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:
Cras wrote:
I'm sure they are perfectly legit. But they're selling an OEM license key

Those two things don't go together ;)

Sure they do, if they say 'you promise you're an OEM, right? Definitely buying this key for resale with a retail system, right?' ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:46 
Unpossible!

Something exploiting this perhaps...

https://www.top-password.com/blog/exten ... -120-days/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:53 
Esoteric

Cras wrote:
What's the file? If it's something you installed to bypass the activation check then well I can't exactly blame Defender for what it's doing :)

Nah I can't either it's just annoying haha.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 14:36 
UltraMod

Any reason why I can't RDC into my desktop from my laptop? Both on Windows 10, I've tried PC name and IP address, checked that the host has RDC enabled, even disabled/re-enabled the firewall rules, but to no avail. I've rebooted both machines, nada. I've tried connecting with credentials and with no credentials, no dice. It's not working.

Any advice?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 14:40 
UltraMod

Why didn't they call it W1nd0ws? Opportunity missed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 14:43 
Hello Hello Hello

You on Home or Pro?

It doesn't work on Home without jiggery pokery.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 14:45 
UltraMod

It is indeed Home.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 14:55 
Hello Hello Hello

In that case, officially, it's disabled in Home. (You need Pro or Enterprise.)

Unofficially, there are things like this, but I haven't actually tried them.

Completely at your own risk, obviously!

EDIT - Turns out MS have broken this with Windows Updates, doesn't look like it'll work now anyway.

https://www.ctrl.blog/entry/how-to-rdpw ... win10-home
https://www.download3k.com/articles/How ... tion-02036

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 14:56 
UltraMod

Thanks but I probably won't bother then. It was only for one specific use case and I have another route I can take.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 15:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Use Teamviewer.

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 15:16 
UltraMod

I was under the impression you had to pay for that. I have had some experience of using it before it was banned at my old place.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 15:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

No, it's free for personal use. It's handy to install on a parent's PC, too.

Reply to topic  [ 1116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next