Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 497, 498, 499, 500, 501, 502, 503 ... 613  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 17:18 

MaliA wrote:
Kia Prides were mazdas 121

which were in themselves Ford Fiestas.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 17:20 
UltraMod

Has anyone seen the new Fiesta in the wild yet? I saw one the other day. It's the same size as a Mk1 Focus. :S

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 17:27 

Yeah, saw one. Nice looking little car, and I use little in the "in comparison to its bigger brothers" sense ;)

Cars be getting bigger, unfortunately. I honestly think in the next 5-10 years, assuming that self-drivers that can be made smaller don't really take off (no pun intended), even "superminis" will be big enough that they become challenging to park in a standard bay.

Trying to park the 5GT in a normal parking space can be a nightmare - I always reverse in now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 17:46 
Gogmagog

Lonewolves wrote:
Has anyone seen the new Fiesta in the wild yet? I saw one the other day. It's the same size as a Mk1 Focus. :S

They had to increase the size to compete with the Rover 25.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 19:29 
Decapodian

When I bought my Mini, I traded in the Octavia which had a private plate on it.
I'd let them know in advance that I wanted to retain the plate, and they said "No Problem. Drive up and when you arrive we can put it on retention, then do the transfer of ownership".
When I arrived I reminded them of this. "No problem, we'll put it on retention then do the transfer of ownership".

They showed me round the car I was buying, did all the handover stuff and then went to put the plate on retention, but cocked up and transferred the car into trade first. Once it had no current keeper, they couldn't put the plate on retention so they apologised, and said they'd have to wait for the paperwork to come back from the DVLA so they could register it in their name. Once that was done, they'd put the plate on retention, etc, etc.

I phoned or emailed them every week to see what was going on, and each time they assured me that this was all going to happen and there would be no problems. It's now turned out that they didn't do any of that, and instead just punted it off into trade where it went to a Vauxhall dealer and has since been sold.

They've got contact details for the new owner and have tried to ask him nicely for the number plate back but he's ignoring their calls, emails and letter so it looks like it's gone for good.

They've admitted that they were at fault, and have asked "what the best outcome for me would be, if they can't get it back".
Clueless muppets!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 19:34 
UltraMod

That is absolutely shocking. I'd be incensed if I lost my private plate.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 19:40 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I certainly don't know the legal ins and outs, but as per your agreement with the dealer, you were selling them the car without the private plate. So they've then gone ahead and sold something they never owned. It's on them to fix that, by whatever means necessary.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 19:55 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Absolutely. I'd be seeking legal advice at this point I reckon.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 20:24 
Decapodian

Yeah, I'm not best pleased, to say the least
It's TD14LEX which I liked as a long time diesel driver called Alex but putting a value on it is tricky.

On one hand there are various other 14LEX plates for sale from the DVLA for as little as £249, but none of them have interesting letters at the start.
On the other side I can see similar format cherished plates for sale for anywhere between £1-2k.
GT14LEX (which I thought about buying at the time) is £1945!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 20:49 

Cras wrote:
I certainly don't know the legal ins and outs, but as per your agreement with the dealer, you were selling them the car without the private plate. So they've then gone ahead and sold something they never owned. It's on them to fix that, by whatever means necessary.

Unfortunately the legal stuff is basically that Zoidberg never owned the plate, DVLA do, and while it’s assigned to the vehicle it “belongs” to the vehicle.

The new owner of the car is quite within his rights to tell the dealer to jog on, or sell the plate back to them.

I imagine one way or the other this will be a costly mistake for the dealer, but Zoidberg may not get his plate back.

I had a similar situation (albeit private sale) with GAZ2598 about 10 years ago. Traded my Celica T-Sport with it on to a chap in exchange for his GT-Four and some cash, and we’d agreed via email and face to face that he’d transfer the plate back to me afterwards.

That never happened, and he stopped replying to my emails and calls. I think the plate is still on the car, too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 21:09 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Shouldn't have sold it to someone called Gaz.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 21:15 

Especially one in cowboy pants. N00b error.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 22:54 
UltraMod

Each time I've sold a car since I've had my personalised plate I've always taken it off before selling as I don't want to risk it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 22:58 
Can you dig it?

Hearthly, do you have a personalised plate? If not, how do you keep up with all the different rego plates?

Do you have a Vision-esque spreadsheet?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 23:17 

@zoidberg: is it the kind of personalisation that’s specific to you (as in first-initial,last initial, birth year... sort of thing) that would be gobbledegook to most people, or is it generally recognisable as a personalised plate but still with a limited audience (FR3DD13, or something on those lines), or an obvious ‘everyone might like that’ kind of plate (FA5T C4R, or something along those lines)? I just wondered why the new buyer isn’t answering the calls?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 23:21 

Sir Taxalot wrote:
Hearthly, do you have a personalised plate? If not, how do you keep up with all the different rego plates?

Not Hearthly, but I do indeed have a spreadsheet of all of my previous cars - although freakishly I can remember their original number plates anyway, in order of when I bought them too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 23:23 
UltraMod

Mimi wrote:
@zoidberg: is it the kind of personalisation that’s specific to you (as in first-initial,last initial, birth year... sort of thing) that would be gobbledegook to most people, or is it generally recognisable as a personalised plate but still with a limited audience (FR3DD13, or something on those lines), or an obvious ‘everyone might like that’ kind of plate (FA5T C4R, or something along those lines)? I just wondered why the new buyer isn’t answering the calls?

He already stated it was TD1 4LEX. TDI is a type of turbo diesel engine.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 23:25 
Can you dig it?

GazChap wrote:
Not Hearthly, but I do indeed have a spreadsheet of all of my previous cars - although freakishly I can remember their original number plates anyway, in order of when I bought them too.

How many have you had? I can do that too, but I've only had 6 cars (plus a couple of Lady T's I suppose), which isn't really all that much.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 23:26 
Can you dig it?

Lonewolves wrote:
Mimi wrote:

He already stated it was TD1 4LEX. TDI is a type of turbo diesel engine.

I don't care about the teenage crush TD1 has on LEX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 23:30 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

GazChap wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:

Pfft... Nerd.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 0:07 

Apologies Dr Zoidberg, I’d evidently missed your previous post.

I wonder if the new owner is avoiding the contact with a sight to sell the plates on? Unless (s)he just happens to share the same name, of course?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 0:15 
UltraMod

Or they just don't care as it's not their problem.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:04 
Decapodian

Mimi wrote:

I wonder if the new owner is avoiding the contact with a sight to sell the plates on? Unless (s)he just happens to share the same name, of course?

It’ll be that, or they can’t be bothered with the hassle of changing the number plate, updating their insurance and dealing with paperwork.

And to be fair, why should they? They bought a car with a number plate included. I doubt I’d hand it over without some financial incentive from the dealer who messed up if it were me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:20 

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Mimi wrote:

It’ll be that, or they can’t be bothered with the hassle of changing the number plate, updating their insurance and dealing with paperwork.

And to be fair, why should they? They bought a car with a number plate included. I doubt I’d hand it over without some financial incentive from the dealer who messed up if it were me.

I’d have hoped that the dealer was offering compensation, because otherwise they’re surely going to be out of pocket to you for a higher sum?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:25 
Decapodian

Mimi wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I’d have hoped that the dealer was offering compensation, because otherwise they’re surely going to be out of pocket to you for a higher sum?

They haven't told me what, if anything, they offered the new keeper.
Anyway, I've sent them screenshots of some similar plates for sale and will see what they say.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:30 

Sir Taxalot wrote:
How many have you had? I can do that too, but I've only had 6 cars (plus a couple of Lady T's I suppose), which isn't really all that much.

24, 25 if you include the Skoda I bought for Jem.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:52 

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Mimi wrote:

They haven't told me what, if anything, they offered the new keeper.
Anyway, I've sent them screenshots of some similar plates for sale and will see what they say.

I really, really hope they sort that out for you :(

Maybe the screenshots will help them with finding a figure to offer the new buyer.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

GazChap wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:

There's a thread somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:10 
Hibernating Druid

Ordered new engine cover as I ragged my old one off in anger due to a bolt that wouldn't bend to my will.

Should add around 50bhp and make it 20% shorter for parking.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:23 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
GazChap wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:

There's a thread somewhere.

It's earlier in this thread, although there are two more cars on my list now.

2015 Honda FK2 Type-2
2017 Seat Leon FR Technology

viewtopic.php?p=931305#p931305

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:56 

GazChap wrote:
Cavey wrote:
it was more the duff gearbox

I'll give you that one, that gearbox sounds proper shite.

Heh. No need to 'give' me anything mate, it's Topgear's review, not mine. (If you feel their assessment re. fake noise and redline, gloopy steering, bouncy suspension and no charisma etc. is unfair, perhaps you should send 'em a strongly worded letter in defence of Kia :D I'm unlikely to ever drive one of these for real, I'd have thought, unless Enterprise Car Hire really go off piste for some future work car hire)

Quote:
Quote:
floaty suspension, gloopy steering and fake noise, fake redline etc.

These are all pretty much par for the course these days though, and there's no getting away from that.

But that's clearly not true though - not yet at least - in the specific case of the RS Focus that Hearthly was considering. Yes, it's ultimately a four-banger shopping hatch, and yes it probably does have fake noise at least (no-one is going to make a four cylinder engine sound much kop anytime soon), but the gearbox is snappy and quick, the redline is real, the handling is sublime and the whole car is a raw-edged, ragged hoot, with no torque steer thanks to the AWD. It still wears the hallowed RS badge.

Quote:
I keep thinking about getting back into a car from that lovely triple-striped M division, but even they've gone down this road now (in fact, they were probably one of the first to add fake exhaust noise) - I think the E9x M3 is probably the last "proper" M-car, but it's lacking some of the creature comforts that draw me to its newer brothers.

If Hearthly is all about the visceral thrill-seeking, perhaps he should just drop the sponds on an E46 M3 CSL ;)

BMW aren't a great example; the latest M4 is pretty crap, just another bloated, turbocharged Autobahn blaster GT car, too big/too heavy. I agree the last M car worthy of the badge was indeed the E46.... what an engine, what a car. "Slow" by today's standards but sublime, raw handling, fabulous naturally aspirated noise and the feeling you were driving something really special - which you were.

EDIT: Also, the awful SMG 'box that you've no choice but to have on the CSL can GTFF too. That's a dealbreaker.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 13:04 

Hearthly wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Top Gear give it a rating of 6/10, which isn't bad for a first stab to be fair. :)

To me that sounds like just the sort of thing I'm after, effectively a more modern S4 that goes very fast in a straight line and has all the toys on it, that I'll be able to buy at 12-18 months old with a long warranty left on it, instead of 6-7 years old and with the risk of big bills at any time.

Mate, I think I've finally worked this out: the psychology is fascinating. :) It's a classic head vs. heart conflict.

Your head says: see that lovely, classy, quick Audi A4/Mercedes C Class? That's a quality, well-made, highly presentable car, as befitting a professional mid-40s man who likes a good, fast drive over the tops but at the same time will accommodate my family in comfort, class and safety, and no-one is going to give me pitying looks in the staff car park.

Unfortunately, though, once in said A4/C Class, your petrolhead heart goes mental - no amount of iPhone compatibility/nice radio bollox is ever going to scratch the itch that isn't going anywhere, a craving for excitement, danger, on the limit speed, handling and above all charisma, that these things are just never going to provide.

So you flip flop back into something more lairy like the Type R, and your head recoils in horror given that (a) you don't wear Burberry (b) you're older than 19, so it's back to the anodyne Golf clone. And so it goes on.

Seems to me the only way out of this is to do as I have long suggested, by some diesel Skoda/Seat for worthy day to day stuff, and a Caterham for the weekends. Job job. :)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 13:09 
Sitting balls-back folder

Doug demuro has now uploaded a review of the new E63S estate.

My word.

https://youtu.be/t_q95Ty7aTo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 16:45 
UltraMod

Cavey wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Top Gear give it a rating of 6/10, which isn't bad for a first stab to be fair. :)

To me that sounds like just the sort of thing I'm after, effectively a more modern S4 that goes very fast in a straight line and has all the toys on it, that I'll be able to buy at 12-18 months old with a long warranty left on it, instead of 6-7 years old and with the risk of big bills at any time.

Mate, I think I've finally worked this out: the psychology is fascinating. :) It's a classic head vs. heart conflict.

Your head says: see that lovely, classy, quick Audi A4/Mercedes C Class? That's a quality, well-made, highly presentable car, as befitting a professional mid-40s man who likes a good, fast drive over the tops but at the same time will accommodate my family in comfort, class and safety, and no-one is going to give me pitying looks in the staff car park.

Unfortunately, though, once in said A4/C Class, your petrolhead heart goes mental - no amount of iPhone compatibility/nice radio bollox is ever going to scratch the itch that isn't going anywhere, a craving for excitement, danger, on the limit speed, handling and above all charisma, that these things are just never going to provide.

So you flip flop back into something more lairy like the Type R, and your head recoils in horror given that (a) you don't wear Burberry (b) you're older than 19, so it's back to the anodyne Golf clone. And so it goes on.

Seems to me the only way out of this is to do as I have long suggested, by some diesel Skoda/Seat for worthy day to day stuff, and a Caterham for the weekends. Job job. :)

This is entirely correct.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 17:16 

I fully expect to be back in some sort of electric vehicle by the end of 2018.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 17:29 
Excellent Painter

GazChap wrote:
I fully expect to be back in some sort of electric vehicle by the end of 2018.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:32 
Hello Hello Hello

BikNorton wrote:
Doug demuro has now uploaded a review of the new E63S estate.

My word.

$120K though, probably about $12,500 dollars in a decade then. I don't know who can afford the deprecation on new Mercs, it's practically biblical.

You can get decent S class Mercs for like, £10K now, that are about a decade old. Mostly because, of course, so many fucking things go wrong with them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 16:53 

The 2012+ AWD ones are still 70k+, so holding well.

The bastards.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 17:13 
Excellent Painter

Porsche are stopping production of diesel Macan’s and Panamera’s

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-ger ... esel/37584

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 18:40 

DBSnappa wrote:
Porsche are stopping production of diesel Macan’s and Panamera’s

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-ger ... esel/37584

I must say I'm glad DBS; the words "diesel" and "Porsche" should surely be mutually exclusive, as I'm sure you agree.
I worry, though, that actually it's only being replaced by some shitty hybrid system that doesn't actually work, or worse, a milkman's conveyance.... but sadly that seems to be the way of things in today's world.

Porsche should stick to producing awesome, iconic sports cars, instead of risking their precious brand with people carriers and/or motorway barges, regardless of engine type.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 18:54 
UltraMod

They'll probably do full electric instead.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 19:14 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Front-wheel drive, too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 19:21 
Hello Hello Hello

A mate bought this last week, it's a diesel Panamera 4s. He paid £82K for it with 2500 miles on clock.

I'm still not clear on why he got a diesel one. (Although it's got 422bhp and does 0-60 in 4.something seconds.)

Attachment:
porscho.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 19:25 
Decapodian

Lonewolves wrote:

They are. It's called the Mission E and it looks superb.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 19:33 

@Hearthly

Does it have those massaging seat thingies? :D

I just can't imagine looking down at that hallowed steering wheel boss - the stuff of dreams - at that iconic badge, it having graced so many truly amazing cars second to absolutely none, turning that key.... and hearing some fucking cold diesel clatter and a glow plug light briefly illuminate on the dash.... I mean ffs :facepalm:

People say I should be glad because if it wasn't for all those Sales Managers buying their fleet-friendly Audis "Porsches", they would not have had the cash to develop the GT racers like my GT4, but for me it just jars too much. I don't see Ferrari or McClaren doing stuff like this, and yet as far as I'm concerned Porsche and its great motorsport legacy is at least up there with theirs, or anyone's.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 19:35 

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

They are. It's called the Mission E and it looks superb.

Probably sounds great as well, just think of the speakers they'll be using to play that fake flat-six yowl as it milkfloats along.

Awesome..... so glad I've already got my GT4. They'll have to wrest the keys from the grasp of my dead, cold fingers.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 19:39 
UltraMod

I actually hate diesels too. They sound like tractors and are worse for the environment than petrol, hybrid or electric.

I've never owned one and never will.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 21:41 
Decapodian

Cavey wrote:
I don't see Ferrari or McClaren doing stuff like this, and yet as far as I'm concerned Porsche and its great motorsport legacy is at least up there with theirs, or anyone's.

Car manufacturers have strict targets for average CO2 emissions across their entire production, but there are exemptions for small volume manufacturers like McLaren and Ferrari. Although Ferrari are part of FCA they are run separately and still get to avoid the financial penalties.

Because Porsche are far more closely linked to the rest of VAG and sell a quarter of a million cars a year they have to try far harder to keep emissions down. Every four cylinder 718 or diesel Cayenne they sell gives them a bit more latitude to make an extra limited run 911.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 23:03 

For giggles I'm having a go in a Superb Sportline 280 estate on Saturday. Also a diesel Kodiaq but only because they haven't got any petrol demos, and the best petrol is a 180ps so it's really just about seeing how it sits on the road.

I sat in them yesterday and they're no JLR that's for sure but Skoda has come a decent way since my old Octavia vrs. But then they want twice as much money sooo...

On Sunday, a few hours in 250ps Epace and Disco Sports!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:27 
Hibernating Druid

Diesels are for real men.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 497, 498, 499, 500, 501, 502, 503 ... 613  Next