Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 334, 335, 336, 337, 338, 339, 340 ... 422  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 16:37 

Thrender.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 18:04 
Prince of Fops

markg wrote:
Thrender.

Legit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 21:07 
Comfortably Dumb

Shock Wave was added to Netflix today. A Chinese Die Hard type of a film, that's half an hour too long.

Some of the dialogue is a bit crap too..

Attachment:
shock-wave.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 22:25 

Just watched Good Time on Netflix. Fucking brilliant. Robert Pattinson can now be forgiven for the sparkly vampire films.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 0:57 
Bad Girl

I think I’ve shown my distain for comic book films before and I maintain that Antman, Dr Strange and some others are, actually, a bit shit. I do like the Avengers movies though and the latest Spider-Man was great.

Thor: Ragnarok is next level shit. Hilarious throughout, brilliantly written, gave Thor a personality lacking from his own films (but on display in the Avengers), has some brilliant characters (villains aside, who are the least impressive), is far funnier than the “comedy” Marvel film Galaxy of the Guardians, and Hulk/Banner is/are hilarious, the last valkyrie was awesome. It’s just hilarious. Did I mention it’s hilarious? Man alive, I bloody loved it. Even the 80’s futurism, and synth soundtrack, the colours, couldn’t give a toss about the CGI for a change, etc etc.

Best Marvel film ever.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:51 
Rude Belittler

You didn't like Goldblum Goldblumming-it-up as Goldblum in a futuristic-Goldblum-robe dealy? That's like peak Goldblum.

#Goldblum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:10 
Bad Girl

Goldblum was great, I was thinking about the main villain who was a bit crap in an otherwise epic film. Even Goldblum’s post-credits scene got a big laugh from me.

Black Panther has got a lot to live up to. If that borefest is getting his own film, Valkyrie should definitely get one. She was acebest.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:44 
Excellent Painter

The Post
Really enjoyed this and wasn’t aware of the scandal. Stellar cast and great acting, obviously, with Streep and Hanks leading. Considering how timely it feels, dealing with gender politics, political douchebaggery and menacing threats from the White House to the freedom of the press, it’s surprising it doesn’t feel more on the nose. I suppose, knowing schedules the little that I do, it was probably written sometime before Donald Cunt came to power.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:07 
Unpossible!

I also watched Ragnarok. It was... OK.

It's hard to put my finger on what I didn't like about. I enjoyed the story, I laughed at the funny bits, I marveled at the action, but somehow it felt... off. Like it was a fan fiction that somehow got made into a movie.

It'll be really odd if Hulk and Thor slot back into The Avengers and go back to being po faced and serious.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:20 
SavyGamer

Yeah I only thought Ragnarok was OK. Didn't quite live up to the massive praise I've heard for it.

Feels like they properly wasted the Planet Hulk story, too. Would have made a great standalone movie.

Edit: I think I'd have preferred they'd gone full comedy, and not had a massive overarching threat to deal with, just had Thor and Hulk off in an alien world.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hulk, for whatever reason, can't have a great standalone movie.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:26 
SavyGamer

Grim... wrote:
Hulk, for whatever reason, can't have a great standalone movie.

I know, it's because Marvel signed a deal with Universal back in the day, so they have right of first refusal to distribute any standalone Hulk (or She-Hulk, Red Hulk or other 'Hulk' characters) movie. So Marvel can include him in any of their other movies, but as soon as they put Hulk in the title, they don't get to distribute it, meaning Universal get a massive slice of the profits.

Still feels like it was squandered though.

Edit: Especially because the notion of Stark and others deciding Hulk is too dangerous so they have to banish him from earth is an interesting idea that would totally slot into the MCU, but they just kind of hand waived how he got from Age of Ultron to Ragnorok.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:16 
Rude Belittler

To be fair "funny movie about not much starring your favourite marvel characters" would be right up Taika Waititi's avenue, but that's not going to happen.

I'd love a "What We do in the Shadows" style film about say, Hawkeye, Peter Parker, The Vision and Stark.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:27 
SavyGamer

Yeah I'd be all over that, although yeah, I can totally understand why they don't do it. I think it probably would be a success though.

Btw everyone should watch The Specials (written by James Gunn of GOTG fame) for a movie that is pretty much that. It's about the world's "sixth or seventh most popular group of superheroes" on their day off. It's fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:31 
Prince of Fops

LewieP wrote:
Yeah I'd be all over that, although yeah, I can totally understand why they don't do it. I think it probably would be a success though.

Btw everyone should watch The Specials (written by James Gunn of GOTG fame) for a movie that is pretty much that. It's about the world's "sixth or seventh most popular group of superheroes" on their day off. It's fantastic.

And The Boys is coming out, which promises to be all kinds of superhero fucked-up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:55 
SavyGamer

Been meaning to read that actually. I liked Preacher a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 16:29 
Comfortably Dumb

I must say, I think you've looked better, Grim...
Attachment:
grim.jpg

It was added to Amazon Prime today.

Quote:
After a series of strange and unsolved disappearances, mining expert Rob and a group of friends investigate the caves of Woodland Hills, Virginia. They find themselves caught in the web of a fearsome creature known as Grim.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 17:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Ooh! One to watch!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 17:36 

Quote:
After a series of strange and unsolved disappearances, a group of self-proclaimed experts on everything from meat and cheese to PCs and politics investigate the toilets of Thameslink trains. They find themselves caught in the web of a fearsome creature known as Grim...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 17:39 
chewbacca -future arc welder

POTW!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 18:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I'd watch that, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:03 
EvilTrousers

A friend of ours suggested, with some confidence, that we should watch Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets because we would enjoy it. I paid £1.99 to do so through Amazon Prime.

He was very wrong.

It makes very little sense, at least 50% of it is pointless filler, the leads are fucking terrible, the dialogue is woeful, the editing confuses the fuck out of you, it tries to be funny very often and very often falls massively flat.

It looks pretty - that is literally its only redeeming feature.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:09 
Excellent Member

Trousers wrote:
A friend of ours suggested, with some confidence, that we should watch Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets because we would enjoy it. I paid £1.99 to do so through Amazon Prime.

He was very wrong.

It makes very little sense, at least 50% of it is pointless filler, the leads are fucking terrible, the dialogue is woeful, the editing confuses the fuck out of you, it tries to be funny very often and very often falls massively flat.

It looks pretty - that is literally its only redeeming feature.

I can suggest, with some confidence, that it's literally one of the worst films I've ever seen. It's an utter fucking car-crash.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:13 
EvilTrousers

It definitely ranks amongst the worst I have seen also, not as bad as Gods of Egypt but not exactly far off that particular steaming turd.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 16:33 
Bad Girl

I couldn’t make it past the first 30 minutes of Valerian. Bag-o-shit.

I did watch The Shape of Water though. It was great but I didn’t like it as much as Guillermo’s Pan’s Labyrinth. Curiously I felt it was quite predictable and safe. It was fun in the main though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 22:39 
Bad Girl

I watched “Three Billboards...” It was brilliant, well, not brilliant but really really good.

Sam Rockwell has a kinda Bill Paxton vibe for my money. I thought he did a marvelleous job too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 23:40 
Can you dig it?

I'm looking forward to some uninterrupted film-viewing time on the aeroplane soon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 20:20 
Bad Girl

Murder on the Orient Express ends with the possibility that there might be a sequel. Let’s fucking hope not, aye?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 20:23 
Excellent Member

Satsuma wrote:
Murder on the Orient Express ends with the possibility that there might be a sequel. Let’s fucking hope not, aye?

Yep: http://variety.com/2017/film/news/murde ... 202620018/

What's your beef with it? I quite enjoyed it actually.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 20:28 
Excellent Member

I was after something relatively light today so went to see Den of Thieves. It's desperately wants to be taken seriously and rips off Heat to a ludicrous degree; not just in terms of plot beats but a lot of the production just screams it. All that said, I was actually very entertained by it and if you can accept it for what it is there's a lot to be enjoyed there. Although I strongly suspect that's not going to be a popular opinion and was I less hungover when I watched it I might've been less charitable about it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 23:08 
Bad Girl

Bamba wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

Yep: http://variety.com/2017/film/news/murde ... 202620018/

What's your beef with it? I quite enjoyed it actually.

The great lineup of stars! Yay! Hardly used. Nay!

Kenneth Branagh! Yay! Kenneth Branagh as Poirot. Nay. Kenneth Branagh directing Kenneth Branagh as Poirot. Nay nay. Some fucker should have been reining in his performance sounding occasionally like the policeman from Allo Allo.

If the majority of the film takes place in one location and you build a bridge at least in part for one scene then why is there so much chuffing CGI for the external shots?

Unfathomably and most heinously there’s no atmosphere and no tension in this murder mystery. When one character exclaims “I’m sleeping in here where I can see everyone” I yawned at the prospect of a nice nap as I had no expectations that something thrilling or dangerous might happen. When Big P gives a gun to someone near the end there’s zero tension and you’re just left with utter bemusement where this change of heart has come from. I doubt it’s the fault of the story which was alright but rather the director. But he was probably wanking so hard over his portral of Poirot that his glasses fell off and he couldn’t see down the lens. Take one scene where he spots some distinctive marking on a gun held by one character: He identifies the lies he’s told instantly and tells the character and the audience, like a big smarty pants, about how he saw this and that on his gun. Does the audience see the gun in any meaningful way? Nope. There’s not even a single close up or, better still, something out of frame but large enough that the observant might be in on the terribly clever observation. Fuck that. We have a quick fire and lengthy spouting of cleverness that left me dumbfounded. It felt like the laziest exposition in film. Show don’t tell. Or at very least show and then tell! And how does the character with the gun react to being called a liar? He folds and fucks off; even leaving his gun. There’s no tension that the gun holding guy might have the physical upper hand even if Poirot has the mental one, and no display of cleverness to diffuse any tension that might result from being called a liar and potentially a murderer. Just no tension at all.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 23:11 
Bad Girl

Bamba wrote:
I was after something relatively light today so went to see Den of Thieves. It's desperately wants to be taken seriously and rips off Heat to a ludicrous degree; not just in terms of plot beats but a lot of the production just screams it. All that said, I was actually very entertained by it and if you can accept it for what it is there's a lot to be enjoyed there. Although I strongly suspect that's not going to be a popular opinion and was I less hungover when I watched it I might've been less charitable about it.

Funnily enough I’m going to see that tomorrow. I hear one scene towards the end is particularly good.

I’m worried though due to 2 things:- 1) Gerard Butler (Geostorm anyone?) 2) 50 Cent (Get Rich or Die Trying anyone?)

Still, here’s hoping for some awesome violence.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 23:35 
Excellent Member

Satsuma wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Funnily enough I’m going to see that tomorrow. I hear one scene towards the end is particularly good.

I’m worried though due to 2 things:- 1) Gerard Butler (Geostorm anyone?) 2) 50 Cent (Get Rich or Die Trying anyone?)

Still, here’s hoping for some awesome violence.

Fuuuuck. I wrote a huge thing and then lost it because the internet is a fucking cunt. So, shorter story:

- Gerard Butler plays a total prick and that interesting to see. That character isn't massively interesting but seeing him do an anti hero has a lot of value.
- 50 Cent is decent. Won't change your opinion but also won't ruin your perception. I expected nothing and was pleasantly surprised.
- Pablo Screiber is great. It's unlikely, but I'd really like to see him as the lead in something and I think he's ready for it. His performances here carries the whole film , and the fact theres very little going on makes that even more of an achievement.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 0:54 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/960298267677417473

New Solo: A Star Wars story trailer tomorrow.

Also, I'm liking this feature to share Tweets. It's making me very lazy in my linking.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:04 
Paws for thought

That cow is being thoroughly milked.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:13 
Unpossible!

Mr Dave wrote:

You're right. I'm hoping that these non-main Star Wars films start to become anthology style soon. Origin stories are a very limited resource.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:07 
SavyGamer

Kind of amazed they have managed to spin three prequel movies as not really being prequels.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:11 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I suppose origin stories are prequels, yet not.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 13:58 
INFINITE POWAH

Mr Dave wrote:

That's a Wookiee dude.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 14:01 
Paws for thought

Coming up next: the origin story of chewbaccas sash thing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 14:11 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

As long as they're all as good a Rogue One, I'll be happy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 16:28 
SavyGamer

Cloverfield Paradox is a thumbs down from me. Super derivative of similar genre movies, and the Cloverfield connection bogs it down.

Spoilers for this new one that's on Netflix and sort of by extension the prior two films too.
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Bits of Sunshine, Interstellar, Alien, Coherence, Event Horizon, Saw, and a load of others mashed up into a fairly underwhelming package. It never gets really smart but at the same time is kind of incoherently written and presented, with a mishmash of tones and story threads that doesn't really work.

It's a sci fi with bits of horror/gore, and bits of comedic relief, and a troubled protagonist that's reaching out to the edges of our universe, whilst trying not to lose their connection to the earth they left behind.

It's really lacking the sense of spectacle and awe that the movies it's aping have. There's a few neat visuals, but much of it is very conventionally shot and directed.

Feels just like a bunch of different elements tripping over each other, and never forming an interesting or creative whole.

You can super tell they just got another existing script and packaged it up as a Cloverfield movie, and everything tying it to the greater lore is just twaddle. I thought the bits trying to connect 2 to 1 were the weakest part of the second, but at least it was just like a prologue and an epilogue. Here it's littered throughout, but don't bother paying too much attention, since it doesn't pay off in a meaningful way.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 17:50 
Paws for thought

Coming up after the origin of chewbaccas sash: the tragic backstory of the ewok who said "Gupa-nupa"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 18:16 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

You're right. I'm hoping that these non-main Star Wars films start to become anthology style soon. Origin stories are a very limited resource.

Yes, this is so ridiculous that makes the SW universe feel incredibly small, because everything interesting that happens, happens with the same people.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 18:24 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

That's hardly the point. Origin stories are often part of huge movie franchises, for good reason - because films don't often provide a lot of backstory for their characters. How did this smuggler guy end up being in Mos Eisley right when Luke and Obi-Wan needed a ride? Why did he owe Jabba a load of money? What's the history of how he ended up with the most famous spaceship in sci-fi history? How come he has a giant orangutan buddy?

All of those questions mean that done right, there's a compelling film there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 18:25 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The fact that there a (now non-canon) trilogy of books means that there's likely demand for a film on Han Solo's history.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 20:04 
Bad Girl

The Cloverfield Paradox is a origin story. Hey, you ever wanted to know where that beast came from in Cloverfield? Of course we fucking didn’t. Jesus Christ, some people just want to know everything when it’s unnecessary and franchise damaging. Whatever someone comes up with it’s always going to be worse than you wanted.

Anyhoo, a summary of The Cloverfield Paradox in case anyone is thinking of wasting their time watching it:

Uninspired cinematography;
Unoriginal stock soundtrack;
Bland visuals;
Terrible characters;
Straight to DVD acting;
Humdrum and uncreative dialogue;
90% of the script is atypical science jargon (“We have to uncouple the rings to reach maximum latitude” “the pressure isn’t stabilising within the vortex” “But what if we destabilise the outer visual external jettison tubes?” “That could work. But we’ll have to pressurise the pastured milk”.)
Like space there’s no atmosphere.
There’s no tension and when people die I’d be amazed if a single viewer could give two shits.
Tonally it’s all over the place.
JJ Abrams directed this?

Just absolutely awful shit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 20:08 
SavyGamer

Satsuma wrote:
JJ Abrams directed this?

No he put his name on it, and it was produced by his production company. Same as both prior movies.

Edit: and they have already turned a profit on the movie.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 20:16 
Bad Girl

Impressive for a pile of shit but lots of garbage films turn a profit (Hello Transformers). I suppose the unexpected release (Hello Beyonce’s album) and Super Bowl trailer was a stroke of genius.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:49 
SavyGamer

Notably that's profit for for film studio and for the production company, not Netflix. Hard to know how they'd measure that anyway.

Edit: and I presume that they did the sums and realised that the cost of theatrical distribution plus a traditional marketing campaign wouldn't have resulted in more revenue that the additional costs would have been. Especially given they probably knew it wouldn't be a big cinema hit because it's not very good.

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 334, 335, 336, 337, 338, 339, 340 ... 422  Next