Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 15:39 
Bad Girl

The best thing about the Xbox One X is logging in and seeing all your friends list intact and a bunch of games that you purchased on Xbox Live available for download. I’ve been playing Shinobi on my £450 4K console.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 15:45 
Prince of Fops

Satsuma wrote:
The best thing about the Xbox One X is logging in and seeing all your friends list intact and a bunch of games that you purchased on Xbox Live available for download. I’ve been playing Shinobi on my £450 4K console.

That genuinely does sound appealing. Even though I have some stone cold classics to play on the PS4, whenever I look at my 360 library of unplayed/unfinished games they somehow feel more enticing:

Resi 4
Vanquish
The saboteur
Splinter cell conviction
Split second
Dark souls
R6 vegas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 15:59 
Hello Hello Hello

Satsuma wrote:

What do you mean by XBox Live? Does that include old 360 XBLA stuff?

Can I play Mutant Storm Reloaded on an XBoneX if I have one?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 16:52 
Bad Girl

Hearthly wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

What do you mean by XBox Live? Does that include old 360 XBLA stuff? (Oh, is The online service for Xbox One still called Xbox Live? I don’t think it is - it just says store or something generic. Even the Windows 10 Store logo pops up).

Can I play Mutant Storm Reloaded on an XBoneX if I have one?

That’s what XBLA is an acronym of init (cept with Arcade on the end)!?

And yes. Yes you can. As far as I know, most (if not all - maybe there’s a backwards compat list somewhere but my lot just sprang up as Available to Download) of the games you purchased years ago can be freshly downloaded and played on the Xbox One X. And not just the Xbox One X but the Xbox One 2. I mean, too.

It’s telling me I can download Comic Jumper (Jesus, remember that!?), Starina (dunno what that was), Super Meat Boy et all. I kinda wish I’d brought more games digitally now but it wasn’t the norm back then.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 17:55 
Hello Hello Hello

That is intriguing, I have quite an extensive collection of digitally purchased 360 XBLA games and digitally purchased 360 'normal' games, I was an early convert to fucking off physical media because fuck boxes and fuck discs, and I loved XBLA.

The XBoneX is still a very tough sell for me though, by all accounts it's quite the loveliest console ever (Digital Foundry were mega-impressed with it), but I've just got a horrible feeling I wouldn't do very much with it.

Total back-compat and all my digitally purchased 360 content being made available would be a big tick in the 'yes' column though.

It's nice to buy shiny things. I wouldn't rule this out, along with a new telly, as a pre-Christmas reward for me not spending thousands of pounds on changing my car again, so I think I've earned it. Ha!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 18:41 
Sitting balls-back folder

It's not total back compatibility, but all Xbox generations now have SOME back compatibility.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 22:11 

Hearthly wrote:
That is intriguing, I have quite an extensive collection of digitally purchased 360 XBLA games and digitally purchased 360 'normal' games, I was an early convert to fucking off physical media because fuck boxes and fuck discs, and I loved XBLA.

Total back-compat and all my digitally purchased 360 content being made available would be a big tick in the 'yes' column though.

It's not total, and annoyingly there are some games where it's only the disc version you can use, rather than the digital version.
Last I checked there were over 400 games. There's a full list on Major Nelon's Website (Your Mutant Storm Reloaded is one :p )
It's brilliant if you have Xbox Live - Games with Gold has given me quite a few X360 games I had wanted to play, but never got around to before my 360 broke.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:29 
SavyGamer

TheCookie197 wrote:
It's not total, and annoyingly there are some games where it's only the disc version you can use, rather than the digital version.

Not quite true.

If a game is available digitally, and the disc version is a BC title, then the digital version will be too.

There are some games that are not available to buy digitally (either they never were, or have been delisted) that still work as BC titles (Forza Horizon for one), but if you have digitally, it will work.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:43 
Hello Hello Hello

So in essence there isn't a full-on 360 emulator or 360 'layer' in there, so all your 360 stuff will work, it is very much on a case-by-case basis?

The thing is, I still have my trusty old bright red Resi Evil special edition 360 connected up to the big telly (IIRC that was the 'Jasper' chipset revision, I'm starting to forget the names, but it's pleasantly quiet anyway), so it's easy enough to play any old stuff that I want to - so the XBoneX needs to start from full back-compat I think to be worth considering.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:46 
SavyGamer

These 360 games work on Xbox One
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_X ... h_Xbox_One
Whether on disc or digitally. But not all of them are available to buy digitally.

With disc games, you insert the disc, but it doesn't play the disc, it downloads a version packaged up with an emulator, but you need the disc in to play it.

Worth noting that all games run better. They have v-sync whether the original release did or not, and some have smoother framerates, and a resolution boost. Even moreso on Xbox One X.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hearthly wrote:
So in essence there isn't a full-on 360 emulator or 360 'layer' in there, so all your 360 stuff will work, it is very much on a case-by-case basis?

Nope.

Bear in mind that such a thing can be very, very difficult.

PS3 only had PS2 compatibility because they put a PS2 inside it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:42 

And the PS2 used a PS1 CPU as its sound chip so it could do hardware-based BC. I love that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:02 
Hello Hello Hello

Then they should put a 360 inside the XBoneX as a SOC which from my research I estimate would cost MS £8.74 per unit*

* Figure may not be exactly correct.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:21 
UltraMod

I think BC is very low down on the list of priorities for the average console gamer.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 13:20 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
And the PS2 used a PS1 CPU as its sound chip so it could do hardware-based BC. I love that.

xzibit.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 14:35 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I agree that it's probably not on the top of a list for most gamers, but it's still a brilliant feature. I've recently been playing Black on the original Xbox and it's still a great game.

It also hasn't cost me anything as I already had the disk.

I dream of having one console under my telly that will play absolutely anything and this is one step closer to that reality. Admittedly, a small step.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 14:37 
UltraMod

Oh don't get me wrong, I like it too. But most people won't give a fig. They just want to play the latest CoD/FIFA/Halo etc. That's why Sony and MS have always half-arsed it.

Nintendo on the other hand, have implemented it excellently until the Switch.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 17:39 
Bad Girl

I love a good story based game and Quantum Break is a decent blast. I hate missing out on story stuff and I’ll happily sit through a cutscene or six to follow what’s going on. Unfortunately the “live action” gash in Quantum Break is so cringy that I couldn’t sit through a mere 5 minutes of the stuff before I had to skip on. Even the acting skillz of Chicken Man and the Hobbit Guys isn’t compelling enough that I want to waste my time watching a straight to DVD movie 15 minutes at a time between shooting men in the head. The actual game is bloody good looking though and I’m having enough entertainment to want to go back and wiz bang my way through some lush looking but wholly uninspiring factory environments.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:31 
SavyGamer

MS have said that they included some silicon in the Xbox One to aid the emulation. They planned to have BC from the start, but hadn't got it implemented.

Also some models of PS3 had full hardware PS2 emulation, but some didn't have the full hardware (they had the PS2 gpu, but not cpu), then some had no PS2 hardware, but could still play certain emulated PS2 games, but only ones downloadable from PSN, not discs.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:07 
Bad Girl

Independent RUMBLE TRIGGERS are DA BOMB. I’ve been playing some Halo 5 and the shooting is great especially with RUMBLE TRIGGERS. Everyone should get some RUMBLE TRIGGERS in their life. It’s a small thing, mind, but I’m enjoying RUMBLE TRIGGERS. Did I mention that RUMBLE TRIGGERS are good? Because they are. Not earth shattering or nothing but they are fab. If you want to know more about RUMBLE TRIGGERS the triggers rumble. Separately. From one another. That’s it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:44 
UltraMod

Apparently they're quite good in driving games.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 19:33 

I've been playing gears of wars 3 hours today. Even with bonx enhancement a 360 game still looks old. Skin rendering is the biggest advancement I think.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:24 

Rise of the Tomb Raider is rather pretty on the One X, on my 4K OLED telly. :)

Talking of BC etc. Rare Replay is quite a bargain, if only for the three Banjo-Kazooies.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 22:53 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

https://twitter.com/SeamusBlackley/stat ... 6593337345

The 'new' Xbox One controller is the old Duke. I think the middle is a little screen that lights up but I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 0:01 
Comfortably Dumb

I thought most people preferred the smaller S controller? I did prefer the Duke though - at least the black/white buttons where better placed, for one.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:38 
Unpossible!

That's amazing. Always liked the Duke. I had three controllers for the OG Xbox: The Duke, the S and an awful blue Mini controller. Daddy pad, mummy pad, baby pad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:38 
Unpossible!

Hang on, it's wired *and* $80? Not so amazing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:49 
Paws for thought

DavPaz wrote:
Hang on, it's wired *and* $80? Not so amazing

On what basis? I've not read anything to suggestits exclusively wired, but like the standard xbone controller has an option to use via usb.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:24 
Unpossible!

I was going off the picture, but on closer inspection that could easily be a usb cable. Outrage diminished

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:28 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Don't worry Davpaz, I thought that too when I first saw the picture but I do believe that's the charging cable. I've seen some other pictures of it without.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:53 
Paws for thought

Not that I actually want one, mind. Trying out one when they were the standard XBox controller put me off the idea of buying a XBox, such was its uncomfortableness.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:07 
Unpossible!

They were surprisingly good to use long term. Lots of space to hold onto, lovely analogue sticks. I will confess that after I got an S controller, the Duke was pretty much forgotten about though

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:10 

DavPaz wrote:
I was going off the picture, but on closer inspection that could easily be a usb cable. Outrage diminished

It's also $69.99 according to the tweet, not 80.

I never liked the original massive xbox controller (tiny fingers), the revised S one that came with my Scorpio is the best I've ever used however.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:27 
Unpossible!

BikNorton wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

It's also $69.99 according to the tweet, not 80.

I never liked the original massive xbox controller (tiny fingers), the revised S one that came with my Scorpio is the best I've ever used however.

You're quite right. Outrage diminished again.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:21 
Bad Girl

It’s got tiny wee little bumper buttons!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:42 

Mr Dave wrote:
Not that I actually want one, mind. Trying out one when they were the standard XBox controller put me off the idea of buying a XBox, such was its uncomfortableness.

I know everyone is different, but you had to have hands the size of dinner plates to use the original Xbox controllers, they were horrifically big.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:56 
Unpossible!

My hands aren't huge and I do ok with it. Pic related

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:59 

I think it’s fair enough that some people prefer the enormous size of the thing, but the placement of the black and white buttons will forever be bullshit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 13:00 
Unpossible!

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I think it’s fair enough that some people prefer the enormous size of the thing, but the placement of the black and white buttons will forever be bullshit.

Well, yes. Quite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 13:01 

Still, at least they indirectly brought us the goodness of dual shoulder buttons in modern pad design, so that’s nice.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 13:35 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Still, at least they indirectly brought us the goodness of dual shoulder buttons in modern pad design, so that’s nice.

Did they? I thought the PS2 had them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 14:19 

The PS1 had them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 14:24 

Argh! Total brain misfire. You're right, of course. Which makes the Xbox pad not having them all the more baffling a decision.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 19:45 
Paws for thought

Futher annoyances: They kept the same button names (ABXY) as the snes, but swapped the positions.

This makes (at least for me) swapping between xbox and snes/wiiu/switch cnotrollers very tricky indeed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 20:02 

That makes sense to me, though. Isn’t it true that Japanese PS games use Circle to select stuff and X to cancel? But for Western games it’s flipped. In which case, in both Nintendo and Xbox controllers, the generic “select” button is A, and it moves to where people expect the select button to be. Microsoft we’re following Sony’s lead in putting the “primary select button” on the bottom instead of the right.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 20:10 
SavyGamer

I thought I heard they added bumpers to the new Duke pad. So you can use either those or the black/white buttons.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 20:23 

LewieP wrote:
I thought I heard they added bumpers to the new Duke pad. So you can use either those or the black/white buttons.

Dunno where you got that from.
Satsuma wrote:
It’s got tiny wee little bumper buttons!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 20:36 
UltraMod

To be fair all websites are very pixelated for Lewie due to the slow internet in the Maldives

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 20:42 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

It seems like it does have new bumper buttons. The top has been redesigned anyway as they've done away with the memory card slot.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 20:45 
Paws for thought

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
That makes sense to me, though. Isn’t it true that Japanese PS games use Circle to select stuff and X to cancel? But for Western games it’s flipped. In which case, in both Nintendo and Xbox controllers, the generic “select” button is A, and it moves to where people expect the select button to be. Microsoft we’re following Sony’s lead in putting the “primary select button” on the bottom instead of the right.

Not really

If it says press a on the screen, I'm going o press a. except in this case I'll press b as it's effectively mislabelled.

Reply to topic  [ 2593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 52  Next