Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122 ... 133  Next
 Post subject: Re: Google Android
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 18:52 
Sitting balls-back folder

Do I want to be the person to mention driveby malware?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:50 
Comfortably Dumb

devilman wrote:
Decided to get a cheap spare Android phone to use for work. I'd initially looked at small tablets, as I'll mainly be using it for running apps, so didn't plan on needing a SIM, but the cheap tablets all seemed a bit naff, so I went with a Spark X phone instead. For £70, it seems pretty good so far, and it runs Nougat, which my main phone doesn't. Some really mixed reviews on there, but figured it was worth a go.

Stupid charging port location aside, it's been a good phone so far. The launcher that it came with seemed to glitch occasionally, so I've switched to Nova and everything has been fine since then. I'm rather liking the default calling app too, Truecaller, with its lookups on numbers as they come in. This is how it displayed a call to me a few minutes ago from one of those "We can see you were recently in a car accident..." companies..

Attachment:
Screenshot_20180118-094553.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 18:30 
Rude Belittler

Oh yeah, I bought a One plus 5T. It's lovely.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 16:55 
Comfortably Dumb

devilman wrote:
devilman wrote:
Decided to get a cheap spare Android phone to use for work. I'd initially looked at small tablets, as I'll mainly be using it for running apps, so didn't plan on needing a SIM, but the cheap tablets all seemed a bit naff, so I went with a Spark X phone instead. For £70, it seems pretty good so far, and it runs Nougat, which my main phone doesn't. Some really mixed reviews on there, but figured it was worth a go.

Stupid charging port location aside, it's been a good phone so far. The launcher that it came with seemed to glitch occasionally, so I've switched to Nova and everything has been fine since then. I'm rather liking the default calling app too, Truecaller, with its lookups on numbers as they come in. This is how it displayed a call to me a few minutes ago from one of those "We can see you were recently in a car accident..." companies..

Attachment:
Screenshot_20180118-094553.png

And of course, now WileyFox have gone tits up. I guess an update to fix the occasionally flaky wireless is never going to come now. I might switch it to Lineage OS at some point.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 15:57 
Hello Hello Hello

So my contract is up for renewal in 6 weeks and as usual Manx Telecom sent me a letter inviting me to get a new phone early if I renew my contract with them now.

So at the end of last week I went into the MT shop and said 'Sir, one of your finest Google Pixel 2 phones please, I shall renew my contract now!' And he's like, 'Yeah sorry, we don't stock those'.

Basically they don't stock any of the pure Google phones these days as they are 'hard to get hold of'. I emphatically stated that I didn't want a branded Android phone again after enduring two years of Samsung's shenanigans with their shitty S7 updates. NO I DO NOT WANT TO USE FUCKING SAMSUNG CLOUD.

He said the new Nokia phones are quite 'pure' Android but I pointed out that even then I'd be dependent on Nokia for OS upgrades and I'm still sore about HTC abandoning the One X for Android updates before my contract was even up.

I said that without a Google phone option I'd be cancelling my contract, and due to the crazy way MT price their SIM-only tariffs, I'd go onto PAYG. (They want £25 per month for 10GB data on SIM-only, or £20 per month for 20GB of data on PAYG. He tried to point out all sorts of other advantages with SIM-only such as better call packages and I'm like, I hardly ever call anyone. I don't care about calls.)

Fair play to the chap he did call the product manager to see if there was any chance of them getting me a Pixel 2 to retain me on contract, but the answer came back as no.

So when my contract is up in 6 weeks I'll go down to PAYG, I might not even bother buying a new phone TBH, the S7 still works fine and it's not like phone tech has really moved on in the last two years. Seems daft to spend hundreds on a new phone. I'll just save the £15 per month.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 16:42 
Unpossible!

To be fair, my pixel 2 is literally the only one I've ever seen :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 17:33 
Hello Hello Hello

Fuck me, just had a look on the Google Store for Pixel 2 prices, £629 for the 64GB model, £729 for the 128GB model.

Case closed, I'll go to PAYG and stick with the S7.

Google seem to have lost their shit a bit after the midrange priced majesty that was the Nexus 5. (Which on balance, I think is still the best phone I've ever owned.)

I feel like that Billy Connolly recollection when he went into a store in New York and saw a carpet he liked, asked how much it was, and was told it cost $5000, and the impoverished Scottish welder in him just jumped out and screamed 'FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR A FUCKING CARPET!'. Like, even though he could easily afford the carpet at that point, the ridiculousness of it costing that much amazed him.

I kind of feel the same way about smartphones now. I wonder what the markup is on the Pixel 2, are they working to the same obscene profit margins that Apple are now?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 18:12 

Yep, I honestly don't see what people get out of expensive phones. I guess they just want to spend money on pointless crap but can't quite stretch to a gold fucking toilet seat.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 18:21 
SavyGamer

The new Nokia phones out soon are all on the Android One program, so they are pure android, Google makes the system updates (although the manufacture actually manage them, there's only a small delay compared to the Pixel line), and are guaranteed updates for two years after release. Closest thing to the Nexus line now that Google only do top end flagship phones.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 18:48 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
Fuck me, just had a look on the Google Store for Pixel 2 prices, £629 for the 64GB model, £729 for the 128GB model.

Case closed, I'll go to PAYG and stick with the S7.

Google seem to have lost their shit a bit after the midrange priced majesty that was the Nexus 5. (Which on balance, I think is still the best phone I've ever owned.)

I feel like that Billy Connolly recollection when he went into a store in New York and saw a carpet he liked, asked how much it was, and was told it cost $5000, and the impoverished Scottish welder in him just jumped out and screamed 'FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR A FUCKING CARPET!'. Like, even though he could easily afford the carpet at that point, the ridiculousness of it costing that much amazed him.

I kind of feel the same way about smartphones now. I wonder what the markup is on the Pixel 2, are they working to the same obscene profit margins that Apple are now?

The Play Store always charges ludicrous prices for the Pixel phones but Carphone Warehouse will sell you the 128GB model for £560 which is pretty reasonable for a flagship with the top end storage.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:45 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
The Play Store always charges ludicrous prices for the Pixel phones but Carphone Warehouse will sell you the 128GB model for £560 which is pretty reasonable for a flagship with the top end storage.

That still sets my Billy Connolly Alert Light flashing.

I appreciate I've effectively been paying that much via the contract system, but there's something about that amount of cash upfront for a smartphone that I instinctively recoil from. Especially since, fundamentally, nothing that's out there now is any better than my S7.

I could build a new media centre PC with some reasonable gaming ability for that sort of cash.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:50 
Unpossible!

Ah, but could you build a phone?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:57 

You wouldn’t download a phone...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:32 
Unpossible!

Mimi wrote:
You wouldn’t download a phone...

I would.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

And a policeman.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:47 
Unpossible!

Hearthly wrote:
fundamentally, nothing that's out there now is any better than my S7.

There's your answer. A new S7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:53 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
Bamba wrote:

That still sets my Billy Connolly Alert Light flashing.

I appreciate I've effectively been paying that much via the contract system, but there's something about that amount of cash upfront for a smartphone that I instinctively recoil from. Especially since, fundamentally, nothing that's out there now is any better than my S7.

I could build a new media centre PC with some reasonable gaming ability for that sort of cash.

There's a good chance you've been paying more than that through your contract. If you're going to 'instinctively' recoil from something despite knowing the truth then there's probably not much anyone can do for you; you're making decisions (and moaning about stuff) based on weird factors at that point. Not that I expect this knowledge to stop you moaning about it mind.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

£560 is a huge amount of money to pay for a phone, I think is his point.

And he's not wrong. Rather than adding in animated emojis or making the screen curved I think people would be much happier if phone companies worked on bringing the price down.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:57 
Bad Girl

People pay that for vacuum cleaners.

I have no point to make.

Oh except I’m the same with vacuum cleaners as he is with phones.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Satsuma wrote:
People pay that for vacuum cleaners.

Do they pay that while putting the existing, perfectly-working vacuum cleaner back into its box and onto a shelf, though?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:59 
Unpossible!

Absolutely. On reflection, I shouldn't have gone for the Pixel 2 on contract as it added a fair amount to my monthly bill. The problem was, the Nokia wasn't that much cheaper.

You are essentially getting a pretty nice laptop to carry around in your pocket though and £500 for a laptop isn't bad.

EDIT: this was a reply to the 'phones cost money' post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:40 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:

Except it's not. Is my point.

For such an incredibly capable device that sees so much use and fits in your pocket I don't think £560 is at all 'a huge amount'; certainly not relative to what he likely paid for his existing device on contract, and not even to flagship phones in general as they've been sitting around the £600 mark for years. If you want a new but cheaper phone then there's plenty of mid-range options in the Android space and there's always the choice to just keep your existing phone; no one's forcing you to upgrade after all.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:44 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
There's a good chance you've been paying more than that through your contract. If you're going to 'instinctively' recoil from something despite knowing the truth then there's probably not much anyone can do for you; you're making decisions (and moaning about stuff) based on weird factors at that point. Not that I expect this knowledge to stop you moaning about it mind.

I've posted the sums previously in this thread somewhere, due to the way MT's pricing works, it ends up cost-neutral to either get a phone on contract, or go SIM-only and buy the phone outright (like, literally within a tenner either way last time I worked it out).

As such I haven't been paying any more for the phone by being on contract, but I have effectively paid full retail price, so I take your point in that regard.

The other factor in play now is I honestly think we've hit 'peak phone', and indeed have been there for a while. A mate got an iPhone X for Christmas and I've had a play around with it, it's very nice but it's still just a smartphone. Even he says he was completely happy with his old iPhone 6 Plus and doesn't feel the X is really that much different. (He didn't particularly want it, but his partner got it for him as a present.)

I look at other phones and don't really see that they do anything different/better than my S7. Certainly not £500+ better.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:45 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
the choice to just keep your existing phone; no one's forcing you to upgrade after all.

Well yes, that's what I'm doing.

I still think £629 is silly money though, that's just gouging on the profit margin, since Huawei and the like appear to be able to kick out largely identical devices for half that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:46 
Gogmagog

markg wrote:
Yep, I honestly don't see what people get out of expensive phones. I guess they just want to spend money on pointless crap but can't quite stretch to a gold fucking toilet seat.

Loathe as I am to justify purchases, I got the S7 Edge as the reviews said the s7 camera was The Best and if I didn't get the edge I would look at the s7 every day and wish I'd have gotten the Edge. It is a lovely piece of stuff. Then, the ephemeral nature of art (like the time the group I am with projected the 3 Little Pigs from a cottage over the road on to another one, and did the same with another but with a future house vibe) kicked in and it died and Samsung want £280 to fix. So I haven't yet bothered. The point is I guess that people are happy to pay a premium and it might be more affordable to some than others. For a device I used a lot, I loved it

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I wish I were as rich as you.

Bamba wrote:
For such an incredibly capable device that sees so much use and fits in your pocket I don't think £560 is at all 'a huge amount'

"Flagship" phones are rarely much better than the midrange phones (or the low-end phones, depending on your metrics) - they all do basically the same thing. Phones have gotten far too expensive recently, but people seem to write it off because advertising has drummed it into their heads that this is okay.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:54 
Prince of Fops

I'd be more than happy to get a mid range phone but the camera always seems to suffer too much compared with a flagship.

If my next phone could be mid range and have similar picture quality to my s7, I'd be all over it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:57 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I wish I were as rich as you.

I use my phone probably more than any other object in my life. It entertains me on journeys, it keeps me connected and informed, it's invaluable when navigating on holiday, it takes pictures of a hilariously high quality and gives me access to my music collection on the go. To me that's easily worth a few hundred quid every couple of years. If that value proposition doesn't work for you personally then, well, :shrug:.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:57 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Findus Fop wrote:
If my next phone could be mid range and have similar picture quality to my s7, I'd be all over it.

Your S7 has a similar picture quality to your S7, I suspect ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
I use my phone probably more than any other object in my life. It entertains me on journeys, it keeps me connected and informed, it's invaluable when navigating on holiday, it takes pictures of a hilariously high quality and gives me access to my music collection on the go. To me that's easily worth a few hundred quid every couple of years. If that value proposition doesn't work for you personally then, well, :shrug:.

I absolutely agree it's worth a few hundred quid every couple of years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:08 
SavyGamer

I would like to point out that the Xiaomi Mi A1 comes with vanilla android + regular updates, has a lovely big screen, excellent build quality, battery life, performance and has fast charging over USB-C, and it's $230. If you want a budget phone that is gimmick free, but ticks every box you could reasonably want, that's the one you should get.

Has a 3.5mm port too.

Camera is only OK though. It has two rear sensors, but performance in low light is rather lacking.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:13 
Prince of Fops

Grim... wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

Your S7 has a similar picture quality to your S7, I suspect ;)

Ha true. Perhaps that is the solution. Get a new s7 once the battery in this one gets unbearable. As long as it continues to get OS updates then all is dandy (aside from the the continued pernicious presence of Samsung guff)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:18 

Findus Fop wrote:
Get a new s7 once the battery in this one gets unbearable.

Or just a new battery?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:45 
Can you dig it?

I was quite happy puttering along with an old phone on a sim only contract ... it seems like a good way to go, and then when the time comes to finally upgrade it seems like a huge great big leap.

I've recently gone iPhone 4S - nexus 5X, back to an iphone 5 and now a Galaxy S9.

First impressions are very positive, but I'm coming to it from a phone that's about 5 years old. I'd hope this S9 will last for a good while.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 13:20 
Prince of Fops

GazChap wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Get a new s7 once the battery in this one gets unbearable.

Or just a new battery?

Didn't realise that was possible!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 13:39 

Findus Fop wrote:
Didn't realise that was possible!

If the S7 is anything like the iPhones, they're not user-replaceable, but you should be able to get a new battery fitted by Samsung and it'd be cheaper than a new handset.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 16:14 
Hello Hello Hello

LewieP wrote:
I would like to point out that the Xiaomi Mi A1 comes with vanilla android + regular updates, has a lovely big screen, excellent build quality, battery life, performance and has fast charging over USB-C, and it's $230. If you want a budget phone that is gimmick free, but ticks every box you could reasonably want, that's the one you should get.

Has a 3.5mm port too.

Camera is only OK though. It has two rear sensors, but performance in low light is rather lacking.

This is entirely my point, the Pixel 2 is not a £600 phone, it's a £300-£400 phone that Google are charging £629 for.

I remember when I got my Nexus 5 it was actually 'free' on a £35 per month contract, at the price of the Pixel 2 it'd be £250-£300 upfront as well.

This is the kind of horseshit that only Apple were previously able to get away with.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 16:18 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Your claim that it's a £300-400 phone is completely arbitrary though. It's the same price and same spec as the Galaxy S8 for example. It's the top end Google phone, why wouldn't they price it equivalent to the top end market leader?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 16:21 
Hello Hello Hello

DO NO EVIL.

EDIT - DON'T BE EVIL.

I nearly got it right.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 16:23 

I don't think that they have ever claimed to not be capitalists.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 16:24 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I'm not convinced Do No Evil directly correlates to Sell Your Best Phone to Hearthly Cheaper.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 16:32 
SavyGamer

I guess I don't have a problem with them selling a phone at any price, although it is a shame that they no longer manufacture excellent £200-400 phones like they used to.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 16:37 
UltraMod

Hearthly wrote:
DO NO EVIL.

EDIT - DON'T BE EVIL.

I nearly got it right.

They've dropped that now anyway, implicitly admitting they are evil after all.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 16:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

LewieP wrote:
I guess I don't have a problem with them selling a phone at any price, although it is a shame that they no longer manufacture excellent £200-400 phones like they used to.

Indeed, the lack of a midrange device is more disappointing than the price of the top-end device.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 16:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cras wrote:
It's the top end Google phone

I think you mean "It's the only Google phone".

Somehow, it's already 25% of the way through it's lifecycle.

Cras wrote:
why wouldn't they price it equivalent to the top end market leader?

Because, after owning four (I think) of them, I've come to the conclusion that Google really don't know how to make phones.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 16:45 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:
Cras wrote:
It's the top end Google phone

I think you mean "It's the only Google phone".

Somehow, it's already 25% of the way through it's lifecycle.

Yeah, maybe I should have said "it's a top end spec phone".

Phone lifecycle is where the cost hits hard - but then most top end phones can be sold for around £200 by the time most people upgrade.

Unless your mate's wife nicks it ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 16:48 
Hello Hello Hello

Cras wrote:
I'm not convinced Do No Evil directly correlates to Sell Your Best Phone to Hearthly Cheaper.

Well it should.

I guess I'm just nostalgic for the Nexus 5, which was a midrange priced phone with a high-end feature set, processor, screen etc.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 16:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cras wrote:

You can have it back soon!

I'm just waiting on Google to say "Yeah, okay, we'll fix your 6P". It's taken them a week to type that so far, though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 16:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hearthly wrote:
I guess I'm just nostalgic for the Nexus 5, which was a midrange priced phone with a high-end feature set, processor, screen etc.

That was certainly their finest hour.

That one lasted the entire two-year contract before it stopped working!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 16:58 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
Cras wrote:

You can have it back soon!

I'm just waiting on Google to say "Yeah, okay, we'll fix your 6P". It's taken them a week to type that so far, though.

Try saying "Ok Google" before you ask them

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122 ... 133  Next