Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 5933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 119  Next
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 17:41 
Excellent Member

Quote:
Not bad considering how hot the GPU was running. I will be tackling it all next week, but, if I did my maths correctly it should all just literally slot in and I shouldn't have to use any new hose. The rad is the same thickness, same width and the same spacing between the G 1/4 ports. All I need to do is flush it all with distilled vinegar then I can build.

Can you do a video and put it on Youtube?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 17:48 
Excellent Member

asfish wrote:
Quote:
Not bad considering how hot the GPU was running. I will be tackling it all next week, but, if I did my maths correctly it should all just literally slot in and I shouldn't have to use any new hose. The rad is the same thickness, same width and the same spacing between the G 1/4 ports. All I need to do is flush it all with distilled vinegar then I can build.

Can you do a video and put it on Youtube?

I'd prefer a 500 word article.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 17:59 
Unpossible!

500 word video?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 18:02 
UltraMod

South Park. :S

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 19:29 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
500 word video?

That's the best of both worlds; a video showing someone typing their opinions out in a Notepad window.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 19:34 
Unpossible!

Bamba wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
500 word video?

That's the best of both worlds; a video showing someone typing their opinions out in a Notepad window.

I think I've seen a few videos *exactly* like that

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 20:12 
Esoteric

DavPaz wrote:
Bamba wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
500 word video?

Yeah me too haha. I think they obviously don't have confidence in their voice. They still go too fast :DD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 20:16 
Excellent Member

JohnCoffey wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Bamba wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
500 word video?

Yeah me too haha. I think they obviously don't have confidence in their voice. They still go too fast :DD

To be fair, whenever I've seen it done it's been quick and dirty stuff rather than lengthy lectures so it's probably someone that doesn't have a mic but can grab screen recording software easily. I've never seen anyone use that technique to present a lot of text, as that would be properly stupid.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 20:24 
Esoteric

Bamba wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Bamba wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
500 word video?

To be fair, whenever I've seen it done it's been quick and dirty stuff rather than lengthy lectures so it's probably someone that doesn't have a mic but can grab screen recording software easily. I've never seen anyone use that technique to present a lot of text, as that would be properly stupid.

It's annoying when you are following something verbatim and they open something by mistake lmao. Straight back to Google....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 20:28 
Excellent Member

JohnCoffey wrote:
Bamba wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Bamba wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
500 word video?

It's annoying when you are following something verbatim and they open something by mistake lmao. Straight back to Google....

Oh, for sure. And if they don't put any required commands into the video description box so you can c&p then it quickly gets really stupid. On balance though I've been very grateful for some of these kind of things in the past and realise that YouTube gives people an easy way to 'publish' something that doesn't require too much effort on their part.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:55 
Hello Hello Hello

Some big hits to home PC performance with Windows and BIOS updates applied to mitigate against Meltdown and Spectre.

How does your SSD performing 41% slower sound?

These are all Intel CPU benchmarks, the chap will be doing AMD benchmarks shortly.

It may be that AMD are hit a lot less or not at all, since their CPUs do this branch speculation stuff in a fundamentally different way (as I understand it), and are only vulnerable to 1 of the 3 exploits anyway.

Attachment:
hitters.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:17 

My PC is toast in a really interesting way: Windows has marked various chunks of RAM, splattered widely across the address space, as bad (ie put them in badmemorylist in the BCD) but memtest86 reports no errors on a 90 minute (and counting) run. Current working hypothesis is an L1/L2 cache fault resulting in intermittent memory read/write errors, which Windows runs for long enough to detect from time to time but memtest86 hasn’t (yet.) This exhibits as an error when attempting to install Windows updates at boot time with the message “cannot allocate ramdisk”, presumably because it’s trying to find a large chunk of contiguous memory. Either way, I’m fairly sure it’s deader than disco.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:35 
Unpossible!

Sounds like your upgrade just moved up the schedule!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:49 
Hello Hello Hello

Still going for Intel?

http://www.businessinsider.com/linus-to ... tel-2018-1

https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/1/3/797

Linus Torvalds isn't very impressed with them.

Quote:
A *competent* CPU engineer would fix this by making sure speculation doesn't happen across protection domains. Maybe even a L1 I$ that is keyed by CPL.

I think somebody inside of Intel needs to really take a long hard look at their CPU's, and actually admit that they have issues instead of writing PR blurbs that say that everything works as designed.

.. and that really means that all these mitigation patches should be written with "not all CPU's are crap" in mind.

Or is Intel basically saying "we are committed to selling you shit forever and ever, and never fixing anything"?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 13:39 

DavPaz wrote:
Sounds like your upgrade just moved up the schedule!

To be fair, the random crashes I was seeing was what prompted me to start pricing out systems this week. Now I have a better handle on what’s causing them though, and it appears to be a fatal wound!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 13:41 
Esoteric

Wow those SSD drops suck :(

I'm really hoping that my M.2 doesn't take a nose dive. It shouldn't because it's not NVME but yeah, a little worrying.

I did have this all explained to me by a guy who writes for CPC (Gareth Halfacree). He said that basically imagine a bike that you ride that crashes every time you turn left. So basically you have to learn to ride that bike only turning right. Eventually you will get to your destination, but it will take longer. That's the linux side (he writes Hobbytech).

And that may explain why the SSD is taking such a battering in performance. Ugh, trust me to go bloody Intel and be pleased about it.

I guess the fallout of this will be being noticed for quite a while to come yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 14:34 
Decapodian

JohnCoffey wrote:
I did have this all explained to me by a guy who writes for CPC (Gareth Halfacree).

I remember him from some of the uk.comp newsgroups 15+ years back. A very nice chap indeed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 15:03 
Esoteric

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
I did have this all explained to me by a guy who writes for CPC (Gareth Halfacree).

I remember him from some of the uk.comp newsgroups 15+ years back. A very nice chap indeed.

Yeah Gareth rules. TBH it's probably one of the only reasons I still buy CPC. The Hobbytech section at the back is fantastic :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 21:08 
Sitting balls-back folder

Subject if not thread relevant -

Nice to know that android is fine with the latest security patches.

However my Moto g5 is still on January 2017 because it turns out Motorola as a Lenovo imprint is disgustingly lax. I don't WANT to throw our phones in the bin but I was already getting twitchy before this...

Sure, the Oreo rollout is coming any day now, but will it actually be a remotely recent patch level, and even if it is, it's likely to be the final update.

(Ah, it's an a53 so not allegedly vulnerable anyway)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 21:09 

Re: Meltdown/Spectre

A good nontechnical writeup of how they were simultaneously discovered by four independent teams: https://www.wired.com/story/meltdown-sp ... discovery/

A fantastic writeup from 2005 when the Xbox 360’s PowerPC CPU suffered from a very similar issue: https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2018/ ... -xbox-360/ (don’t miss the final sentence about the job interview either... Plus ça change.) The bit where they make it stop crashing by changing code that was never run is just ::Italian chef kissing two fingers gesture::

A description of Retpoline, a Google-developed binary patching technique which protects against the bugs and claims to have almost no performance penalty (I have no insider information here, I’m quoting the doc): https://security.googleblog.com/2018/01 ... cpu_4.html

The whole thing has had me thinking a lot about this seminal essay by Joel Spolsky: https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2002/11/ ... tractions/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 22:00 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
A description of Retpoline, a Google-developed binary patching technique which protects against the bugs and claims to have almost no performance penalty (I have no insider information here, I’m quoting the doc): https://security.googleblog.com/2018/01 ... cpu_4.html

Interesting. I note they also say they've rolled out the KPTI OS patches in addition to that mitigation.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 0:10 
UltraMod

I'm not reading all that. Can you make it into a 1 hour YouTube video please?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:04 
Meh

I don't think PCs should be triangular.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:34 
Excellent Member

Just about finished patching a 200 CPU farm running on SUSE

This is normaly used by scientists 24\7 so would have been a good test to see if there were performace drops

However they all like to use the GPU farm these days, so had to ask them to run some benchmarks and come back to me

There is a plan to increase\replace some CPU this year so interested to see what performace impact there is as it will affect what we need to buy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:40 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Maybe I'm just an old-fashioned arse, but the idea of the CPU running code that it hasn't (yet) been explicitly told to run is horrifying to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:48 

GazChap wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Maybe I'm just an old-fashioned arse, but the idea of the CPU running code that it hasn't (yet) been explicitly told to run is horrifying to me.

Well, to be fair, branch prediction and speculative execution is decades old and a significant speed up compared to not having it so... It’s worth noting that Itanium apparently doesn’t suffer from this because (I’m told) it enforces thread-level memory protection on cache lines. But the market didn’t want Itanium, it wanted more teetering hacks piled on top of x86.

Don’t forget your Intel CPU is also running an entire OS in microcode, too, with remote access and everything. In fact there’s three whole layers of stuff under your kernel you can’t see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Management_Engine The days of CPUs dumbly chewing through in-order ASM instructions ended 20 years ago, we just didn’t notice at the time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:51 

Or as my old internet buddy put it on the day Meltdown was announced

https://twitter.com/mjg59/status/948820694376173569

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:24 
Hello Hello Hello

GazChap wrote:

It'd be fine if Intel didn't design their CPU architecture as Linus Torvalds gracefully phrased it, like 'shit'.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:51 
Gogmagog

Hearthly wrote:
GazChap wrote:

It'd be fine if Intel didn't design their CPU architecture as Linus Torvalds gracefully phrased it, like 'shit'.

Why does a peanuts character have an opinion on transistors?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:54 
UltraMod

Good grief

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:26 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Hearthly wrote:
GazChap wrote:

Let us note that Mr Torvalds has spent the last 20 years writing kernel code to take advantage of the performance gains provided by that exact CPU architecture and hasn't had cause to complain until now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:29 
Hello Hello Hello

Cras wrote:
Let us note that Mr Torvalds has spent the last 20 years writing kernel code to take advantage of the performance gains provided by that exact CPU architecture and hasn't had cause to complain until now.

Maybe he was running with the assumption that Intel's CPU would appropriately protect restricted kernel memory areas?

There's nothing wrong with the concept of speculative execution (it's a very good idea, in fact), it just needs to be implemented properly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:29 

Cras wrote:

Also Linus is an abusive bellend and his opinion that something is shit is basically meaningless. See e.g. https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/38136.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:40 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Hearthly wrote:
Cras wrote:

Maybe he was running with the assumption that Intel's CPU would appropriately protect restricted kernel memory areas?

Then his assumptions are foolish. You don't work that close to the hardware level while making assumptions about how the hardware works. I'm not defending Intel here, I'm saying Torvalds views are (as they usually tend to be) opportunistic finger-pointing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 13:37 
Esoteric

Five year old PSU never opened..

Opened.

Not as bad as I thought. Cleaned it all through.

Put back together.

Caps were all fine. Then worked until 2 A.M removing everything, cleaning and then putting back.

Just a Quadro in there for now so I can listen to my music :)

Not seen it this clean since the day I got it over two years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 15:19 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Meltdown / Spectre like flaws on the Xbox 360 chips -found and resolved a long time ago (interesting read)

https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2018/ ... -xbox-360/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 15:26 
UltraMod

zaphod79 wrote:
Meltdown / Spectre like flaws on the Xbox 360 chips -found and resolved a long time ago (interesting read)

That's almost as good as when Gaywood posted about it!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 15:28 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Lonewolves wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:

That's almost as good as when Gaywood posted about it!

Apologies - i missed that

It did also take me to this which i also found interesting (hardware bug on the original PS1)

https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DaveBag ... g_Ever.php

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 20:44 
Excellent Member

Anyone's work patching the clients yet?

In addition to the Windows patch levels Grim posted on this thread, I was told that we may need to do Bios update as well

Have a call with the client lead tomorrow to see if this is true.

One silver lining to this is that all the fence sitters in IT that were blocking the deployment of Anniversary (because it took so long to deploy) can now tell users its Intel fault for the disruption so we have a green light for that at least.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 22:33 
Can you dig it?

Speculative Execution would be a great name for a metal band (and a logo with nearly unreadable lettering)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:53 
Sitting balls-back folder

@docg Intel actually put *an entire x86 CPU* in their x86 CPUs now just for the management stuff, not just microcode on the main cores.

Apparently even the people it's for don't generally turn it on, which is handy given it's exploitable. (Oh wait, that's AMT, not ME)

Your chum mjg blogged about it.https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/49788.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:04 
Hello Hello Hello

Some performance comments straight from MS.

https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/micros ... rce=Direct

Quote:
Here is the summary of what we have found so far:

With Windows 10 on newer silicon (2016-era PCs with Skylake, Kabylake or newer CPU), benchmarks show single-digit slowdowns, but we don’t expect most users to notice a change because these percentages are reflected in milliseconds.

With Windows 10 on older silicon (2015-era PCs with Haswell or older CPU), some benchmarks show more significant slowdowns, and we expect that some users will notice a decrease in system performance.

With Windows 8 and Windows 7 on older silicon (2015-era PCs with Haswell or older CPU), we expect most users to notice a decrease in system performance.

Windows Server on any silicon, especially in any IO-intensive application, shows a more significant performance impact when you enable the mitigations to isolate untrusted code within a Windows Server instance. This is why you want to be careful to evaluate the risk of untrusted code for each Windows Server instance, and balance the security versus performance tradeoff for your environment.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 15:52 

Get yerself a heatsink with Continuous Direct Contact technology, not one of those lame ones that just hover sometimes

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 15:53 

I bought RAM with RGB custom lighting and I ain't even sorry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 15:55 
Unpossible!

Does it have jumpers?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 15:56 

DavPaz wrote:
Does it have jumpers?

Dunno, mobo isn't here yet. I doubt it though. Jumpers seem to be thoroughly obsolete now.

(The last PC I build totally had jumpers.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 15:57 
Hello Hello Hello

Oohhh that's the same sort of RAM as in my PC.

Pro tip, the software is balls, and none of the other lighting options look as nice as the default, so just leave it as it is out of the box.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 16:01 

Hearthly wrote:
Pro tip, the software is balls, and none of the other lighting options look as nice as the default, so just leave it as it is out of the box.

I, uhh, might have selected a Gigabyte motherboard specifically so I can link up the RGB control across mobo/case/RAM/maybe also my keyboard. That might be a thing I did.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 16:03 
Excellent Painter

This is making me laugh, for some inexplicable reason

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 16:05 

DBSnappa wrote:
This is making me laugh, for some inexplicable reason

After a decade on Macs, I am Back On My Bullshit. Edit -- and you've known me long enough to remember when I used to build PCs :)

Reply to topic  [ 5933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 119  Next