Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo Switch (formerly "NX")
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:55 
Excellent Member

Four_Candles wrote:
Some games are only struggling because of rushed releases and, as a result, very poorly optimised code (which hastily released patches have mostly corrected).

Even Xenoblade 2, published by nintendo, has terrible performance in handheld mode. To be honest, i don't mind about that one, because i don't have time to play a game like Xenoblade nowadays.

There are many indies being converted to the switch as we speak, so lets see how the next batch fares.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:14 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I agree that compared to the Xbox one version, Pinball FX3 hasn't quite got the frame rate nailed but to say it's nearly unplayable is a bit of a stretch.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 14:44 
Participant in dramatic games

@ruysan,

that is not really my experience at all..

btw . digital foundry calls xenoblade the first game which doesn't hold up in handheld mode, http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... de-too-far

While other games are apparantly even smoother.. (remember not that much is happing when docked, it doesn't have to take energy usage into account, but there isn't additional gpu processor or anything)

About pinball fx3... since it felt a bit like a present., i haven't looked into it that way, but i certainly didn't find it unplayable

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 14:53 
SavyGamer

Yeah when docked, it ups the clockspeed of the cpu and gpu. I forget whether the fan works at all in handheld mode, or if it just works slower.

Then it has to contend with running the same game at a higher resolution. At least in most games, some have resolution parity across both modes.

Kind of surprising there isn't the option to force games to run in handheld mode even when docked. In cases where handheld mode has smoother performance but lower resolution, it might be preferable to have the option of just sticking that on your telly instead of switching modes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 15:31 
Excellent Member

LewieP wrote:
Kind of surprising there isn't the option to force games to run in handheld mode even when docked. In cases where handheld mode has smoother performance but lower resolution, it might be preferable to have the option of just sticking that on your telly instead of switching modes.

This is one thing that kind of puts me off about consoles. I value FPS more than graphical details, and details much more than resolution (this 4k craze is ridiculous), and at the pc i can at least make the game run my way. I wish consoles gave at least these options even if simpler (e.g. 60 fps vs more graphics)

@romanista,

I was basing my observations on what i've seen on the Zen Forums. Or maybe they've already patched it.

There are already many nice downloadable 2d games released for it (shantae, mummy demastered, axiom verge, steamworld dig), but in most cases is difficult to know how they fare because they don't get the same coverage.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 16:59 

`ruysan, i understand, no worries

btw, gorogoa cost three times as much on the switch, so bought it on iphone

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:41 
Awesome
Yes

romanista wrote:

Thanks for this. I love articles and videos about games with restrictions on (such as Grim...’s Dark Souls whip-only play) and this was a treat.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:17 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I haven't read that article yet but the whole idea of completing the game like that, blows my mind.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 14:00 
Excellent Member

Re: frame rate options - with the advent of the PS4 Pro developers are offering different options for a lot of games. Obviously if you go for the 4k resolution you're going to be stuck with 30fps but, taking the Naughty Dog games for example, if you choose 1080p you can then also plump for 60fps rather than other extra graphical pretties. I presume the same thing is being done on the Xbox side of the fence as well.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 16:27 
SavyGamer

Not really anything new. That's been a thing in PC games as long as I've been playing them.

I do hope we're not going down a path of having to buy a new console every couple of years if you don't want to experience performance problems.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 23:24 
Excellent Member

TheVision wrote:
I haven't read that article yet but the whole idea of completing the game like that, blows my mind.

They made the most of some bugs (or "design quirks" as eurogamer calls it). There's some jumping involved.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 14:13 

to be fair to them, some of those quirks also worked against them... still fun how they discuss how they looked at the challenge and found ways to deal with it...

More games announced, paceman ce 2. is coming win a special version.. the ps4 version disappointed me...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 0:07 

This thing is lovely. And I haven’t even started up 50% of my games yet.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 0:18 

Gngh this is lovely (in waxed canvas)

https://www.sfbags.com/products/nintendo-switch-pouch

And I want a Pro controller and a memory card and...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:47 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

It depends how you play the Switch but the pro controller is lovely. Apparently the new version that came out with Xenoblade chronicles 2 improves the D pad slightly so that's worth bearing in mind of you do buy one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:54 
Excellent Painter

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Gngh this is lovely (in waxed canvas)

https://www.sfbags.com/products/nintendo-switch-pouch

And I want a Pro controller and a memory card and...

I’m amazed you don’t have a memory card knocking about. There must be drawers in your gaff sponsored by RadioShack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:07 

TheVision wrote:
It depends how you play the Switch but the pro controller is lovely. Apparently the new version that came out with Xenoblade chronicles 2 improves the D pad slightly so that's worth bearing in mind of you do buy one.

Ooh, good tip, thanks. I’ll definitely get one at some point. Maybe when I’m in California next month if they are any cheaper.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:09 

DBSnappa wrote:
I’m amazed you don’t have a memory card knocking about. There must be drawers in your gaff sponsored by RadioShack

I have a number of SDCards for the camera but no spare microSD (which the Switch takes) bigger than a few gig. In fact I only own one in total, which is the 128 GB one in my Note. But that probably needs to stay there.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:42 
Comfortably Dumb

The Hori wired pad is pretty good too. I've started using that for Rocket League and I'm finding it much easier to use than the Joy-Con.

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
This thing is lovely. And I haven’t even started up 50% of my games yet.

It really is. With my gaming time being at a premium, I'm glad I went with the Switch instead of the PS4. I still haven't started Mario Odyssey yet either, so I have that to look forward to.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:52 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:

I have a number of SDCards for the camera but no spare microSD (which the Switch takes) bigger than a few gig. In fact I only own one in total, which is the 128 GB one in my Note. But that probably needs to stay there.

There's a surprising amount of built-in storage, although I'm not sure how much of that Mario Kart might have taken up? I'm not seeing the need to get a card for it in the immediate future.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:08 

Joans wrote:
There's a surprising amount of built-in storage, although I'm not sure how much of that Mario Kart might have taken up? I'm not seeing the need to get a card for it in the immediate future.

Mario Kart is 6.8 GB, Odyssey is 5.3 GB, Mario+Rabbids is 2.6 GB, and Zelda is taking up 886 MB even though it’s on a cartridge. I have 10 GB left. So it’s not urgent but I’ll need one at some point I expect.

Some Switch games are huge though: https://kotaku.com/third-party-nintendo ... 1820058797

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 13:13 

Ah, my Mario and Rabbids were on cartridges (cards?) which obviously helps. Rabbids hasn't had a look in yet though.

I'm definitely expecting to get one at some point, it's just not an immediate essential (for me, I'm aware there are huge games out there, and I think a lot of games will be better suited as an always available downloaded version).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 13:19 

I only ever bought one cartridge for my Vita (Persona 4 Golden) and not having to worry about losing tiny cards for a system I carry about with me was nice. I suspect I’ll favour downloads again on the Switch for the same reason.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 14:34 
SavyGamer

Seems to me like a full size SD card would have been preferable. I was pretty annoyed when they changed from SD to MicroSD going from the original 3DS to the New 3DS (especially since I'd bought a big SD card). They are way cheaper, and for larger portable devices (like laptops or larger tablets) it doesn't seem like going Micro really saves much space.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 15:08 
Excellent Member

Is anyone else still annoyed (or even worried) that we still can't backup our game save data ? It really p*sses me off and Nintendo haven't even said if such a feature will be implemented. Cloud-based game saved backups? Maybe? microSD card backups? Maybe? I regularly read stories on forums and reddit where Switch owners have lost all of their game save data for multiple and varied reasons.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 15:14 
SavyGamer

Presumably it's because modified saves was a big attack vector for homebrew/piracy on 3DS. Doubt they'll ever let you load saves from a MicroSD card.

Baffled that they wouldn't just launch with a good free cloud save solution though.

Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

Reggie did hint at plans for cloud saves at least.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 21:27 

Got a 200 gb one (which is not much more expensive than a 128 gb one, but a lot cheaper than a 256 one..

(did buy some games on a cartridge, but 90% digital seems to work from something opirtable, similar story with my vita... bought loads of second hand cards for my 3DS though)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 16:43 

Quote:
The Switch has broken the US record for the fastest selling console ever, with 4.8 million units sold in just 10 months, Nintendo says. That shatters the previous record of 4 million US sales in the same time, also held by Nintendo with the Wii. Switch sales first opened on March 3rd, 2017, and it looks like strong holiday sales pushed the Switch over the top.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/04/nin ... g-console/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 17:03 
Comfortably Dumb

Although I've still barely scratched the surface with my Switch games, I do love the console; so much so, that I won't be bothering with the PS4 or Xbox One for some time. Having bought a Wii U at around the same time, it's not hard to see the evolution from Wii to Wii U to Switch. In using the Wii U, I'd find myself wanting to just ignore the main console and focus on the pad and the Switch achieves this.

While I'm rambling and currently on my profile screen on the Switch, here's my friend code as I can't remember if I'd posted it - SW-4077-9877-7294

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 17:08 
Isn't that lovely?

My Kids got a switch for Christmas, we have Mario Kart and Odyssey, and 2 extra mini cons.

It's lovely, but I've had to pause playing as my hands are cramping up using the tiny controllers. Which is not good. It might just be a temporary thing, but my hands have not fully recovered even after 3 days of no playing. :(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 17:45 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Malc wrote:
It's lovely, but I've had to pause playing as my hands are cramping up using the tiny controllers. Which is not good. It might just be a temporary thing, but my hands have not fully recovered even after 3 days of no playing. :(

Have you tried the 'block' thing that the controllers connect to ?

That basically is around the size of a 360 controller and I much prefer that to having them separate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 17:47 
Isn't that lovely?

zaphod79 wrote:
Malc wrote:

Have you tried the 'block' thing that the controllers connect to ?

That basically is around the size of a 360 controller and I much prefer that to having them separate

I did, but that was the day after I had bad cramp, and so not a good representation

I'm looking at https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0787SDS38/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 17:56 
UltraMod

Looks like the left analog stick will be too far away to be comfy using those. Get a pro controller instead?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 18:01 
Comfortably Dumb

Or the Hori. I find that quite comfortable and they're pretty cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 18:03 
UltraMod

That looks really good for £25!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 19:19 
Comfortably Dumb

Lonewolves wrote:
That looks really good for £25!

I've been really pleased with it so far. The only minor downside for me is that with it being a wired controller, you can't turn the console on with it, but I can live with that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 19:23 
UltraMod

Wired? I'm out

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 21:41 
Paws for thought

Malc wrote:
My Kids got a switch for Christmas, we have Mario Kart and Odyssey, and 2 extra mini cons.

Unfortunately, the controllers ae frightfully unergonomic, be it attached to the screen, with the minature slidey things or the larger controller unit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 21:44 

I am very happy with my (wildly overpriced) pro controller.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 21:45 

@malc, what's your friend code..

almost time for a mario kart challenge me thinks

nice new sale now,
finally bought 1-2 switch at this price http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018- ... -discounts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 21:46 

Lonewolves wrote:
Wired? I'm out

i ordered one of the 8bit do ones, will let you know how i will get on

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 21:52 
sneering elitist

devilman wrote:
Or the Hori. I find that quite comfortable and they're pretty cheap.

Thanks, just ordered one. I managed to drop one of my joycons into a cup of coffee so some of the buttons keep sticking and it's slightly irritating.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 21:56 
Excellent Member

Malc wrote:

There's some solutions to that:

a) Buy a Switch Pro Controller

b) Buy a controller adapter like the Mayflash Magic-NS, this will allow you to instead use controllers from other consoles with the Switch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 22:04 
Excellent Member

In fairness, it's kind of shit that a controller for a console is ergonomically bad in this day and age. Having to adopt Third party work arounds isn't great.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 22:05 
Excellent Member

Hell, it's arguably even worse to have to buy a first party solution because then they're benefiting from their own bad design.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 22:32 

Bamba wrote:
In fairness, it's kind of shit that a controller for a console is ergonomically bad in this day and age. Having to adopt Third party work arounds isn't great.

In fairness, it’s hard to imagine how the JoyCons could be much more ergonomic and still be portable. And the shell thing that turns them into a pad is fine. It’s a lot more comfortable than any classic (say, pre-Dreamcast) pad was.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 22:36 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Bamba wrote:

In fairness, it’s hard to imagine how the JoyCons could be much more ergonomic and still be portable. And the shell thing that turns them into a pad is fine. It’s a lot more comfortable than any classic (say, pre-Dreamcast) pad was.

I've never touched it so I don't know either way, but if someone is pained by your controller then surely that's bad? Everything else you've said there sounds like an excuse.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 23:02 
Excellent Member

Bamba wrote:

We all have different sized hands and some have physical problems with their hands for various reasons (arthritis, injury, RSI-related problems, and so on), therefore it's not possible for one controller to suit everybody. For example, I get on just fine with the Joy-Cons cut find the Pro Controller to be uncomfortable and painful to use after a while. Other people find the complete opposite. Equally some don't get on at all well with the Xbox One controller but love the PS4 controller, and vice versa. And so on with every controller that has ever existed.

At least with the various controller adapters that are on the market we all have the option to use whatever controller suits us best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 23:03 
Excellent Member

Bamba wrote:
Hell, it's arguably even worse to have to buy a first party solution because then they're benefiting from their own bad design.

Not so, they're offering people a choice. It's impossible to please everyone with just one type of controller.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 23:21 
sneering elitist

I have no problem with the joycons or any of the joycon attachments, but struggle with e.g. xbox controllers after a while because I find them too bulky.

Reply to topic  [ 1782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 36  Next