And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Amazon Echo
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 20:37 
Excellent Member

Bobbyaro wrote:
What happens if you are called Alexa?

You can change that to either Echo or Amazon, only the 3 choices for now, but doubt it will be long before you can have what you want.

Its getting a surprising amount of use at home, I have the £50 one, but my wife is loving having it play Pearl Jam all day, my son likes to have his Thomas songs (which I uploaded) playing as well.

I've found the sound level from the £50 one to be pretty good, not for a party but fine for every day music.

I was planing to connected to it my AV Amp but I have no idea how to do that, can't find an Aux input anywhere

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 21:13 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Can't you just tell it to connect?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 23:47 

asfish wrote:

You can change that to either Echo or Amazon, only the 3 choices for now, but doubt it will be long before you can have what you want.

I doubt it. Hotword design is difficult. It has to consist of syllables that don't occur in normal speech or your get lots of false triggers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 0:33 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Like the way the syllable pattern "Okay Google" apparently appears in 40% of spoken sentences according to Android phones of my acquaintance.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:09 

Or, 'seriously' can set of siri, eh curio?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:08 

I was going to market a similar device that responded to "Hey, Vzzbux" but I was paranoid that episodes of Bottom would trigger it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:33 
Hibernating Druid

Bobbyaro wrote:

Yeah.

What?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:03 
Awesome
Yes

Zardoz wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:

Yeah.

What?

I believe this to be a mild ribbing of the forum member Curio, who presumably has a similar issue with "Hey Siri" being set off by the afore-mentioned Curio saying the word "Seriously".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I believe it may have something to do with a job interview, but I might be getting stories mixed up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:39 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I also believe that was the case.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:19 

yeah, that was the one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 14:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Apparently the Echo can drive these: http://www.gearbest.com/smart-lighting/pp_361555.html (there's a plain white one for less money, too).

Disclaimer: I don't know if the bulbs are any good.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 14:24 
Excellent Member

This lookings interesting

https://medium.com/@mmccabe/controlling ... .bqgrckenw

This emulates a Phillips Hue bridge, but you can add non Hue bulbs to it and then control them with the Echo. This guy appears to have got the Easybulbs that I have working.

Having a friend of mine who is a coder look at this, first thing I'm going to do is just run this on a laptop and see if it works, then we are going to do a Thecus app for it with a bit of luck as things that need to run all the time are better off on somthing like that.

Hue price differece as well, I've a lot of G10 in my house, 3 colour bulbs and controller are £150 of Hue, whilst 6 colour G10 Easybulb are £124.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:55 
Excellent Member

I found a Belkin Wemo plug in the draw where all the console controllers and unwanted remotes live over the weekend.

It was in there as I found it to be total shit, the smart phone control app either lost the plug or spent ages showing a spinning wheel before I could turn it on or off.

As it works with Echo I set it up again on my network.

Next I had to let Echo know about it, Beklin say go to the Echo app, search for the Wemo skill and job done.

Nice and simple aside from the fact there is no Wemo skill in the UK for this >:|

So I go back to the Echo app and from the Smart home menu I tell Echo to scan for devices it can control. It finds the plug.

I have renamed the plug "lamp" as that's what is powers on, so I tell Echo to turn on lamp and it works no issue.

Its been rock solid and so much better than using the Wemo app, so much so I'm getting some more for the house.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 15:03 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
I believe it may have something to do with a job interview, but I might be getting stories mixed up.

Yes. In my interview for the job I now have, my phone activated Siri and said it was nice to be appreciated. It confuses the fuck out of everyone in the room!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 15:44 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

If you say "Alexa, party on" she says "excellent".

That is all.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:13 
Excellent Member

Quote:
This lookings interesting

https://medium.com/@mmccabe/controlling ... .bqgrckenw

This emulates a Phillips Hue bridge, but you can add non Hue bulbs to it and then control them with the Echo. This guy appears to have got the Easybulbs that I have working.

Got all of this working yesterday, can now turn off bulbs on a room basis via Echo, there is a dim option which I need to set up, with this you need to define the % of dim you want.

Have one bulb that won't work, it works fine with the app but not in the HA Bridge, so will be swapping that around rooms to see if its faulty.

Next steps are to get the HA Bridge running on my NAS, its Java so can be done easily. My friend who helped said I should upgrade the RAM on my NAS first as Java can eat a fair bit at times, so waiting for upgrade to arrive.

If anyone is interested let me know, I can pass on my set up which will let you see the syntax etc needed, once you run the Java files its all done via a webpage.

There was also a skill released for Plex this week, will let you play films and TV via Echo. Best to check this out first as it won't work with everything which is annoying. It works with PS4 but not Xbox One

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articl ... ce-Control

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 19:08 
Excellent Member

Echo show has been released today. As usual US only and no UK\EU dates.

It's Echo with a Screen!

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-MW46WB-In ... ent-btn-20

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:16 
Noob as of 6/8/10

My son bought me a Dot for Father's Day. I'm afraid that I rarely plug it in.

It's a fun gadget, but I can't really see a use for it, considering the other gadgets we already have at our disposal.

Also, I'm resisting the Internet of Things as I don't want the Russians hacking my freezer and ruining my frozen goods, and I also don't want anyone listening in to any conversations going on in my house. That remind's me, I must stick some Blutac over all the lenses of devices with onboard cameras.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:01 
Excellent Member

Warhead wrote:
My son bought me a Dot for Father's Day. I'm afraid that I rarely plug it in.

It's a fun gadget, but I can't really see a use for it, considering the other gadgets we already have at our disposal.

Also, I'm resisting the Internet of Things as I don't want the Russians hacking my freezer and ruining my frozen goods, and I also don't want anyone listening in to any conversations going on in my house. That remind's me, I must stick some Blutac over all the lenses of devices with onboard cameras.

Its better when you have other systems you can use with it. We have no light switch at the bottom of our stairs for some odd reason so I have a Wemo plug with a lamp on the landing. We can turn that on from downstairs with an Echo then off later from one upstairs. Also have a couple of other lamps where the plug is a pain to reach set up in the same way.

Then I can control the heating via Hive as well, and also the TV (on\off pause play) using the Harmony. If you have the time and skills you can do a lot more with Kodi and Echo as well. Plex can be controlled as well much better that the out of the box Harmony, you can say stuff like "play *Film or TV Show*" at the moment this only works on selective Plex interfaces, I can do it on the web interface on my PC, but it won't work on the Xbox One app.

I'm going to do more Hue bulbs later in the year as well.

All in all I like it, but I had a lot of the other things I've mentioned here before I got the Echo's

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 13:16 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Well, don't say I didn't warn you when some script kiddie in China starts switching your lights on and off randomly in the middle of the night..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:14 
Excellent Member

Planning an investment in Phillips Hue before the end of the year, so I bought the Echo Plus

This is the same size as the Echo but comes with a built in smart home hub.

Can always find space for another Echo :) and it came with a free Hue bulb (a crap white one that only does soft white) also the hue bridge costs £50 so it was worth a punt.

I took home a hue colour strip light we had a work when we were testing Echo to see if it could be used to start meeting rooms, this project was shoe string in that we borrowed the required hue bridge from a guy in the dept for testing!

So I set it all up and go into the Alexia App then into the Smart Home section, the strip light is there but functionally is disappointing. All I can do is dim and turn on and off there, no options to set colour.

With Echo voice control there is a bit more, I can change the strip to primary colours, as well as soft and cool white and dim it.

What is missing are scenes, this are built in colour configuration such as "Hawaiian sunset" using a Hue bridge and Echo there would be 40-50 of these to choose from, not something for daily use but annoying its missing.

Also missing is the ability to add hue sensors, this let you switch lights on based on conditions when the sensor detects you.

So if you want to have white lights and on\off and dim then this is fine and you don't need a hue bridge.

If you want colour scenes, and sensors and other hue devices then you need to buy a hue bridge.

I may send this back if I find the smart home hub in the Echo is one thing too many when I get a hue bridge and cause complexity.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:45 
Noob as of 6/8/10

My son has had a Firestick, with voice control, for a few months and is very impressed with it. A couple of days ago we were discussing David Lynch’s Dune and what should pop up as a film suggestion for him today? You guessed it, Dune. Is Alexa listening when he hasn’t pressed the mic button or is this just a coincidence?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:03 

Coincidence, the other night it appeared right at the front of Amazon video for me. I think probably it just came on there and he has watched some scifi before.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:29 
Excellent Member

As I was going back into my sons room at bedtime last night I heard him say "Alexa can you do a fart?"

The Echo replied back that it couldn't but asked if he would like to enable some fart skill

I got into the room just as he said yes, now when asked if it can do a fart it does one :D

So a good 10 minutes added to bedtime last night :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:04 
Hello Hello Hello

Are these things any good? Me and Mrs Hearthly were in Curry's yesterday getting something for her dad and we were looking at the Google Home and Amazon Echo gizmos.

We very nearly bought one but we (1) Couldn't decide which to get and (2) Weren't entirely sure what we'd do with it.

We have Amazon Prime but all of our stuff is on Google.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:27 
Unpossible!

If you're invested in Google's world, it makes sense to go with a Google home. You're a Spotify premium user, right?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:29 

I was initially sceptical about my Echo Dot but now I love it. I mostly use it for checking the weather, setting timers when I'm cooking, and controlling my thermostat. I'll occasionally ask it for random facts about obscure countries, tell a joke, or to make the noise of a bear.

When my current kitchen radio dies I'll probably replace it with the standard sized Echo and use it for radio.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:34 
Gogmagog

Ours is commonly tuned to NME2 music, and controls the majority of the downstairs lights. I live it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:40 
Hello Hello Hello

DavPaz wrote:
If you're invested in Google's world, it makes sense to go with a Google home. You're a Spotify premium user, right?

Yes we have the mega family package.

Don't they both work with Spotify then?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:48 
Unpossible!

Hearthly wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Yes we have the mega family package.

Don't they both work with Spotify then?

Yep.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:34 
Hello Hello Hello

I chatted to a chum who has both of them and he said to get the Google one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:57 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Amazon! Amazon! Amazon! Amazon! Amazon!

AAAAAAMMMMMAAAAZOOOON!

(don't listen to me, I've been got to by Big Alexa )

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:59 
Unpossible!

Hearthly wrote:
I chatted to a chum who has both of them and he said to get the Google one.

Was it me? Am I the chum?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 18:40 
Hello Hello Hello

Your input was considered and appreciated.

I'm still not fucking convinced we'll actually do anything with a Google Home gizmo though, my chum said it's basically the Google Assistant off a smartphone, embedded in a device with a speaker.

Also another chum said he went into his Google archive thingy and it had recorded all sorts of shit, including him having an argument with his wife about cakes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:21 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Hearthly wrote:
Your input was considered and appreciated.

I'm still not fucking convinced we'll actually do anything with a Google Home gizmo though, my chum said it's basically the Google Assistant off a smartphone, embedded in a device with a speaker.

Also another chum said he went into his Google archive thingy and it had recorded all sorts of shit, including him having an argument with his wife about cakes.

See? I was right about Facebook being a pile of shite when it first started up and I'll be right about these damn spying devices.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Google Home Mini's are half price right now.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:33 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Grim... wrote:

Mini's? :facepalm:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:44 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:

They should add an audio out to the mini. If they did that, I'd buy another one. I'm tempted by Nest Hub though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:46 
Unpossible!

Warhead wrote:
See? I was right about Facebook being a pile of shite when it first started up and I'll be right about these damn spying devices.

Ok pops. The point is we *know* they're spying on us. That's the point. We don't care. Seriously. If I was worried about it, I would be off the grid. But I'm not.

I have deleted Facebook though. Fuck that noise.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:46 
Noob as of 6/8/10

DavPaz wrote:
Warhead wrote:

Ok pops. The point is we *know* they're spying on us. That's the point. We don't care. Seriously. If I was worried about it, I would be off the grid. But I'm not.

Ohhhh, right, so you're going to feed it disinformation and undermine big data.

Sounds like a plan.

I might have to start plugging in my Dot for an hour per day and reciting a long series of random four digit numbers and make hissing and crackling noises to make them think something sinister is going on.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:48 
Unpossible!

Warhead wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Warhead wrote:

Ohhhh, right, so you're going to feed it disinformation and undermine big data.

Sounds like a plan.

I might have to start plugging in my Dot for an hour per day and reciting a long series of random four digit numbers and make hissing and crackling noises to make them think something sinister is going on.

"The Swallows are flying again"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 17:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DavPaz wrote:
Grim... wrote:

They should add an audio out to the mini. If they did that, I'd buy another one. I'm tempted by Nest Hub though.

They should. It does Bluetooth out, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 18:30 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Grim... wrote:

It does, but it seems like an extra step when an aux out is still pretty universal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 18:31 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Whenever I want to play music, I need to resync my Bluetooth speaker, which is annoying. Both the home and the speaker are always plugged in and left on.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 18:45 
Hello Hello Hello

I have DECIDED AGAINST getting one of these things, and I love buying gizmos and generally spunking cash on even the flimsiest of premises.

Not because I care about the big brother aspect of things, and I've given up on Google ever serving up relevant YouTube ads to me however much data I encourage them to harvest (it was some sort of Pakistani musical thing the other day, honestly, I have no fucking idea), but because I just don't see the use for it.

We have PCs/laptops in pretty much every room of the house anyway, and down in the kitchen I just use the All-In-One PC for everything, including playing music.

So for now it is NO DEAL.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 18:46 
Unpossible!

I'll give it 3 days before you buy both

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 18:49 

I hear if you get an Echo Dot you can use ITTT to automatically order you a new car from a local dealer every two months and then post to your favourite friendly forum both the dealership listing and a positive little message saying you’ll absolutely definitely be keeping this one for at least two years.

Think of the time you’ll save. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 18:55 
Hello Hello Hello

Our survey officially found Mimi's post NOT AMUSING.

:p

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 19:40 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:
I'll give it 3 days before you buy both

This is what he said about smart watches. And about four of the cars he then went on to buy.

Also he still hasn’t taken his £2k laptop off the WongaWatch scoreboard so he is making a mockery of the whole competition.

Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next