Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2972 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:47 
Gogmagog

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
I’ve often thought this in the past. Largely when I was shit at a game, and on limited lives (and restart from the beginning) you would often be denied the whole game. Not so much an issue these days but still.
Quote:
As more AAA games focus on open world design, the idea of needing to “earn” the exploration parts by completing familiar repetitive tasks like “go kill some dude” or “collect a bunch of random stuff feels” almost criminal. People spend years of their lives creating different parts of a game that most people, even the ones who buy it, will probably never see, especially if it’s toward the end.

“Thanks for your money, but you’re not good enough to play all the game you just paid for”

I agree with that. I disagree with "shooting games must remove baddies so we can collect rainbows all day"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:48 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
I’ve often thought this in the past. Largely when I was shit at a game, and on limited lives (and restart from the beginning) you would often be denied the whole game. Not so much an issue these days but still.
Quote:
As more AAA games focus on open world design, the idea of needing to “earn” the exploration parts by completing familiar repetitive tasks like “go kill some dude” or “collect a bunch of random stuff feels” almost criminal. People spend years of their lives creating different parts of a game that most people, even the ones who buy it, will probably never see, especially if it’s toward the end.

“Thanks for your money, but you’re not good enough to play all the game you just paid for”

I agree with that. I disagree with "shooting games must remove baddies so we can collect rainbows all day"

No one has said that. As per usual you miss the point. No one is taking your shooty games away.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:49 
Excellent Member

I've been playing Horizon Zero Dawn a lot lately, and on one of the loading screens it basically says there's nothing wrong with 'easy' because it let's you get on and enjoy the story. Which is why there is so much effort in making it a good story.

Games costs lots of money to make so need marketing to the widest audience before they make that back, let alone turn a profit. If you want a great game that is engaging and looks good then you have to accept someone's 12yo neice who got a PS4 for Christmas might want to play it on easy to get to grips with it. That is what keeps people interested in playing and spending money on games, it wasn't so inclusive there wouldn't be the same level of investment and there wouldn't be the amazing range of games and pursuit of technology that there is now.

I'll go back through a game on easy to mop up the collectables if I'm inclined to. I wouldn't bother if it had a single difficulty setting and I knew I was going to get my ass repeatedly handed to me again, until I eventually got through. I might attempt it on super hard mode if I really want a trophy but I don't think I've ever done that. Why should my gaming experience be reduced, or confined to 'kids games' because of that?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:51 
Gogmagog

Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Quote:

No one has said that. As per usual you miss the point. No one is taking your shooty games away.

Here:
Quote:
In Wolfenstein 2 difficulty affects how quickly things die, including you. Sometimes it also changes how many enemies there are and where they’re placed. Story beats and how environments are constructed remain the same though. Rather than offer different modes that emphasize different ways of playing the game, like focusing on stealth or limited combat exploration, the settings are just a knob waiting to be cranked up to 11.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:57 
Excellent Member

flis wrote:
I've been playing Horizon Zero Dawn a lot lately, and on one of the loading screens it basically says there's nothing wrong with 'easy' because it let's you get on and enjoy the story. Which is why there is so much effort in making it a good story.

Games costs lots of money to make so need marketing to the widest audience before they make that back, let alone turn a profit. If you want a great game that is engaging and looks good then you have to accept someone's 12yo neice who got a PS4 for Christmas might want to play it on easy to get to grips with it. That is what keeps people interested in playing and spending money on games, it wasn't so inclusive there wouldn't be the same level of investment and there wouldn't be the amazing range of games and pursuit of technology that there is now.

I'll go back through a game on easy to mop up the collectables if I'm inclined to. I wouldn't bother if it had a single difficulty setting and I knew I was going to get my ass repeatedly handed to me again, until I eventually got through. I might attempt it on super hard mode if I really want a trophy but I don't think I've ever done that. Why should my gaming experience be reduced, or confined to 'kids games' because of that?

Apparently the problem with Kotaku is that they got offended over the joke of Wolf2 difficulty settings. Most AAA have these multiple difficulty settings, so I don't know why they are arguing about. But if i'm thinking about a lesser evil situation, better give me all those difficulty settings but don't ever put level scaling in a game like in Oblivion.

And is it bad business to exclude part of your audience due to difficulty? Cuphead and Dark Souls did it and were massive successes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 13:01 
Unpossible!

I never finish games anyway. And I use god mode

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 13:01 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Quote:

Here:
Quote:
In Wolfenstein 2 difficulty affects how quickly things die, including you. Sometimes it also changes how many enemies there are and where they’re placed. Story beats and how environments are constructed remain the same though. Rather than offer different modes that emphasize different ways of playing the game, like focusing on stealth or limited combat exploration, the settings are just a knob waiting to be cranked up to 11.

Offering different modes is not taking your game away. Read it again.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 13:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

RuySan wrote:
Why should every game be for everyone?

Because it's got lightsabres in, apparently ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 13:04 
UltraMod

RuySan wrote:
flis wrote:

Apparently the problem with Kotaku is that they got offended over the joke of Wolf2 difficulty settings. Most AAA have these multiple difficulty settings, so I don't know why they are arguing about. But if i'm thinking about a lesser evil situation, better give me all those difficulty settings but don't ever put level scaling in a game like in Oblivion.

And is it bad business to exclude part of your audience due to difficulty? Cuphead and Dark Souls did it and were massive successes.

It's only a funny joke if you're a 12yo gamergate edgelord. If it's satire then it's very poor.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 13:42 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Lonewolves wrote:

You read what Mali said again. He's saying that games shouldn't just remove bad guys from the game for easy mode. It should be the same game, just easier. You've completely got his point wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 13:43 
UltraMod

Cras wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

You read what Mali said again. He's saying that games shouldn't just remove bad guys from the game for easy mode. It should be the same game, just easier. You've completely got his point wrong.

What difference does it make to him what they do for easy mode if he isn't interested in using that mode?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 13:46 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Lonewolves wrote:
Cras wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

What difference does it make to him what they do for easy mode if he isn't interested in using that mode?

He's not mentioned once not being interested in easy mode. Are you having both halves of a conversation on your own, here?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 13:53 
Excellent Member

Anyone who's annoyed because someone else was allowed to choose a slightly different experience--and, crucially, a choice that doesn't impact anyone else in the slightest*--is just flat-out being a fucking idiot. Did you get to play the game you wanted? Yes? Then shut up for god's sake. Your dick isn't any smaller just because someone else enjoyed a game you like on an easier difficulty setting. All this 'n00b tears', 'git gud', 'games don't have to be for everyone' whining shows a weird fascination in what other people are doing rather than getting on with just enjoying your own stuff.

That Kotaku article though is the other side of that same coin and is equally horseshit. Going on about easy and hard being loaded terms and how he was apparently peer pressured into feeling guilty over dropping the level is just nonsense.

*And before Grimm predictably tries to make the equation: loot boxes in a multi-player game aren't the same as difficulty setting in a single player experience.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 14:40 
Gogmagog

Bamba wrote:
Anyone who's annoyed because someone else was allowed to choose a slightly different experience--and, crucially, a choice that doesn't impact anyone else in the slightest*--is just flat-out being a fucking idiot. Did you get to play the game you wanted? Yes? Then shut up for god's sake. Your dick isn't any smaller just because someone else enjoyed a game you like on an easier difficulty setting. All this 'n00b tears', 'git gud', 'games don't have to be for everyone' whining shows a weird fascination in what other people are doing rather than getting on with just enjoying your own stuff.

That Kotaku article though is the other side of that same coin and is equally horseshit. Going on about easy and hard being loaded terms and how he was apparently peer pressured into feeling guilty over dropping the level is just nonsense.

*And before Grimm predictably tries to make the equation: loot boxes in a multi-player game aren't the same as difficulty setting in a single player experience.

Exactly!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 15:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:

Yes. Not that I've seen anyone saying that, but yes. Except for when they do impact everyone else, because the Devs change the game.

Bamba wrote:

No. You don't get to tell people what upsets them.

Bamba wrote:

Who?

If you mean Grim..., he did that ages ago, do keep up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 15:26 
Unpossible!

Happy birthday, Krazywookie!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 15:42 
UltraMod

I…agree with Grim… but not Bamba? Weird day.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 15:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Boys are better at everything than girls are.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 15:45 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:

Except cooking and cleaning, AMIRITE fellas??

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 15:46 
Gogmagog

Certainly better at tennis.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 15:48 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Except cooking and cleaning, AMIRITE fellas??

"Satire must have a clarity of purpose and target, lest it be mistaken for and contribute that to which it intends to criticise."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 15:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Normality is restored!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 15:55 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Normality is restored!

Ironic sexism is still sexism. It impacts in the same way even if the intentions are not the same. And that is more important, imo.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 16:00 
Unpossible!

Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Normality is restored!

Ironic sexism is still sexism. It impacts in the same way even if the intentions are not the same. And that is more important, imo.

Such a man thing to say

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 18:19 
Paws for thought

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
(Also, new Wolf and Doom aren't by iD, haven't been for years.)

Define "by iD"

Doom 2016 wasn't by the same people who were in iD software that were around for the original doom (as, barring one person, they've all left) but it was still developed by iD software.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 19:34 

In London for a Josh Ritter gig. Looking forward to this as he's touring with his band and I really love his new album.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:09 
Gogmagog

Kern wrote:
In London for a Josh Ritter gig. Looking forward to this as he's touring with his band and I really love his new album.

How was it?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:15 

MaliA wrote:
Kern wrote:

How was it?

Had an excellent time and was quite close to the front too. Been about seven years since I last saw the full band, and the bassist's moustache was just as awesome as ever. Didn't buy a t-shirt this time.

Got home around 01:30 as I missed the 23:20 by five minutes and had to wait for the midnight train.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:17 

Kern wrote:
the midnight train

Going anywhere?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:20 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Kern wrote:
the midnight train

Going anywhere?

Got my reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:39 
Excellent Member

Bamba wrote:
Anyone who's annoyed because someone else was allowed to choose a slightly different experience--and, crucially, a choice that doesn't impact anyone else in the slightest*--is just flat-out being a fucking idiot.

That's just as claiming that lootboxes in SWBF2 are fine because you aren't forced to buy them, and can unlock them just by playing. You don't know how much of the redesign to accommodate different difficulties affected the gameplay.

Obviously, they can just focus on one difficultly and have settings that can change some variables like HP and damage with the disclaimer: "We haven't tested this. You can make the game shit by changing the variables. Use it at your own peril".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:54 
Bad Girl

The background: I like a nice clean box (fnaar, fnaar), but I’m sick of spam email. Spam email gets designated to Outlooks spam email folder of course but I’m tired of having to empty to spam email folder because OCD reasons. Also, even when senders are spam designated I still get a pop up in Outlook saying I’ve a new message.

The question: Is there any way of perma banning senders in outlook so I don’t even have to look at their filthy spam faces?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:57 
Paws for thought

Satsuma wrote:
The question: Is there any way of perma banning senders in outlook so I don’t even have to look at their filthy spam faces?

Yes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 13:08 
Bad Girl

You tell me how you scumbag or I’ll activate my Jason powers and shove a pike up your pert bottom.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 14:12 
Excellent Member

RuySan wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Anyone who's annoyed because someone else was allowed to choose a slightly different experience--and, crucially, a choice that doesn't impact anyone else in the slightest*--is just flat-out being a fucking idiot.

That's just as claiming that lootboxes in SWBF2 are fine because you aren't forced to buy them, and can unlock them just by playing. You don't know how much of the redesign to accommodate different difficulties affected the gameplay.

Obviously, they can just focus on one difficultly and have settings that can change some variables like HP and damage with the disclaimer: "We haven't tested this. You can make the game shit by changing the variables. Use it at your own peril".

I don't buy any of this. I don't believe that the very availability of multiple difficulty settings (when in every case I'm aware of it just means less/more damage dealt/given and less/more enemies milling around) impacts someone not playing any of the other ones. I just don't.

The SWBF2 argument is nonsense because as a multi-player game it's fundamentally different in that it's an experience shared by everyone rather than a completely firewalled setup. Also, 'freemium' mechanics are again massively different from difficulty settings because one directly earns the publisher money and the other doesn't in the slightest. If you think the very existence of such things doesn't necessarily exert a weight which warps the game design then good for you, but I'm never not going to be cynical enough to accept that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 14:20 

Seriously? The names of different difficulty levels? It's just some light-hearted ribbing to goad you into taking up more of a challenge. Jesus fucking Christ. Obviously I'm not allowed to tell someone what upsets them but I definitely am allowed to think that they must be a bit of a fucking idiot if it does.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 14:34 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I am staying in a hotel room, and there is some pipe, airlock/Aircon feedback noises going on. It sounds like something from a GSYBE album! It is kinda awesome, but I feel it will be annoying come sleep time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 14:35 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
Seriously? The names of different difficulty levels? It's just some light-hearted ribbing to goad you into taking up more of a challenge. Jesus fucking Christ. Obviously I'm not allowed to tell someone what upsets them but I definitely am allowed to think that they must be a bit of a fucking idiot if it does.

:this:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 14:37 
UltraMod

markg wrote:

Wow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 15:11 
Excellent Member

Bamba wrote:
markg wrote:

:this:

I think that it's in Shadow Warrior 2 that the difficulty levels and definitions do the exact opposite of this W2 example. The easy one says something like "no matter what others may say, it's perfectly fine to play the game on easy" or something like that.

Bamba wrote:
RuySan wrote:
Bamba wrote:

I don't buy any of this. I don't believe that the very availability of multiple difficulty settings (when in every case I'm aware of it just means less/more damage dealt/given and less/more enemies milling around) impacts someone not playing any of the other ones. I just don't.

Maybe yes maybe not. What i know is that the default difficulty in most AAA games is completely wrong. Usually it's way too easy, and raising the difficulty only makes enemies bullet sponges. Bethesda and Bioware games come to mind on this, but most blockbusters are guilty of it. I have no way to know if it's the addition of different difficulty levels that messed the balance, or if the designers just made the wrong choices.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 15:17 
Excellent Member

RuySan wrote:
What i think is that the default difficulty in most AAA games is completely wrong for me personally.

Fixed. There's nothing like an objective measure here so any definitive statements are completely pointless; as are any attempts to point to a specific factor. That said, it seems especially odd to point the finger at varying difficulty settings given that those have been a staple of games for as long as I can remember so if their presence was somehow the core issue then this 'problem' wouldn't only be affecting recent AAA games surely?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 15:18 
Gogmagog

Yeah, but console games are generally set to be easier than PC games, because the console need to sell the units regularly to a less skilled demographic, whereas PC difficulty is a lot higher as the gamers there spend 9/10th time optimising screen resolutions and their skills level is higher because of keyboard mouse headshots and they tend to play one game for years as they have less cash as gfx cards be spendy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 15:25 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
Yeah, but console games are generally set to be easier than PC games, because the console need to sell the units regularly to a less skilled demographic, whereas PC difficulty is a lot higher as the gamers there spend 9/10th time optimising screen resolutions and their skills level is higher because of keyboard mouse headshots and they tend to play one game for years as they have less cash as gfx cards be spendy.

I don't believe a word of that. Or, at least, have never heard any of it said and a lot of it sounds like bollocks on the surface of it. The only thing in that area that I know is true is that there are certain changes made to controls* to make up for the way control pads work vs 'mouse and keyboard'; changes that also exist if you play the same game on a PC using a control pad so it's not even about 'PC vs console' and just about 'one control method vs another'.

*e.g. when aiming with a control pad I read about some FPS doing stuff like almost imperceptibly slowing down the cursor as you move it over an enemy to give you a better chance of hitting without slowing down general navigation.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 15:25 
Excellent Member

Bamba wrote:
RuySan wrote:
What i think is that the default difficulty in most AAA games is completely wrong for me personally.

Fixed. There's nothing like an objective measure here so any definitive statements are completely pointless; as are any attempts to point to a specific factor. That said, it seems especially odd to point the finger at varying difficulty settings given that those have been a staple of games for as long as I can remember so if their presence was somehow the core issue then this 'problem' wouldn't only be affecting recent AAA games surely?

Well, of course that's my opinion. I could write "IMHO" every time i start a new post if you want.

As for the rest. The problem is the default difficulty. The designers put those extra difficulty settings as an afterthought with some variables changed and it never gets satisfying in any settings.

Sometimes is even weirder. In The Witcher 3, in the default difficulty anyone can brute force through the game just by button mashing. But there's a button to dodge and another to roll, which are almost pointless in the normal difficulty. It's like you're missing much of the game if you play at the intended difficulty.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 15:26 
Comfortably Dumb

If you're bored, there's a collection of Idiosyncratic Difficulty Levels on TV Tropes. Some are less flattering than others, like Loaded's 'Players are fairies' easiest level.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 16:04 
Excellent Member

RuySan wrote:
Well, of course that's my opinion. I could write "IMHO" every time i start a new post if you want.

Obviously I don't expect that in general but your previous post made such a sweeping statement about the design of these games as if it was an objective fact that it felt worth pointing out. If you say something is badly designed then you're saying it's wrong, broken, poor, whatever; but if it's produced entirely as intended and just doesn't suit you specifically then I don't think you can call it 'bad'. I mean if an inventory is needlessly fiddly or a game makes you repeatedly visit the same unchanged locations over and over or there's great swathes of it with nothing at all to do then that's an arguable bad design. Difficulty level is so much more subjective though.

RuySan wrote:
The problem is the default difficulty. The designers put those extra difficulty settings as an afterthought with some variables changed and it never gets satisfying in any settings.

Wait, I'm confused, is the problem the default difficulty being badly designed or the extra difficulty settings being an afterthought?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 16:24 
Master of dodgy spelling....

MaliA wrote:

:DD :DD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 16:31 
Excellent Member

Bamba wrote:
RuySan wrote:

Obviously I don't expect that in general but your previous post made such a sweeping statement about the design of these games as if it was an objective fact that it felt worth pointing out. If you say something is badly designed then you're saying it's wrong, broken, poor, whatever; but if it's produced entirely as intended and just doesn't suit you specifically then I don't think you can call it 'bad'. I mean if an inventory is needlessly fiddly or a game makes you repeatedly visit the same unchanged locations over and over or there's great swathes of it with nothing at all to do then that's an arguable bad design. Difficulty level is so much more subjective though.

RuySan wrote:
The problem is the default difficulty. The designers put those extra difficulty settings as an afterthought with some variables changed and it never gets satisfying in any settings.

Wait, I'm confused, is the problem the default difficulty being badly designed or the extra difficulty settings being an afterthought?

I would have no problems with the default difficult being easy if there was any care into the more difficult settings. Many japanese developers do put effort in the various diffculty settings but like i said, for most western developers it's usually just doubling enemy HP for example.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 16:50 
Gogmagog

The Big One requested a house rabbit, this morning. It is suspected that she has been briefed by Fifth Columnists.

In the interim, I shall consider the purchase of a terrarium with all the stuff and tell her there is a chameleon in there

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 17:03 
sneering elitist

MaliA wrote:
The Big One requested a house rabbit, this morning. It is suspected that she has been briefed by Fifth Columnists.

We had a house rabbit - a Continental Giant - he was fucking ace but I have a scar on the back of one hand where he accidentally bit me in a wee frenzy to get to his food. One of the most painful things I've ever experienced. :S

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2972 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 60  Next