Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 486, 487, 488, 489, 490, 491, 492 ... 613  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:11 
Hello Hello Hello

BikNorton wrote:
How does a civic need rear tyres after 3 months? I rotated the ones on my ep3 front to back periodically and didn't actually need to change them at all in over 2 years (including a go on oulton park), I just hated the Bridgestones it came with so swapped all four for Toyos.

It looks like it's got positive camber in the photo there but the fn2/fk2 always looked bizarre in the rear quarter so it's probably not.

Which makes it all the more hilarious how much I've spent on tyres on this barge in 4 years I guess.

He put two new front tyres on the Type-R when I got it, I suspect he rotated the fronts at the time onto the back, or the backs were still the originals the car came with. (Probably the latter, come to think about it.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 19:55 
Hello Hello Hello

FEEL THE ECONOMY.

It was just over 55mg as I cruised into town but the final bit of driving knocked it back down a bit.

Getting it remapped next week, there's a good company locally that does them. He says this engine maps out nicely to 220-225bhp (actual bhp is verified on a dyno afterwards) with nicer driving characteristics and improved fuel economy depending on driving style.

It's a really good car to drive anyway and Android Auto is totally the business, I know it's just Google Assistant really but it's dead good having it properly integrated with your car. I've managed to get a REALLY SHORT micro-USB cable from the mobile team guys at work which makes plugging the phone in whilst in its little cubby-hole much more practical.

I'm a bit confused about remaps overall and how you can get more power as well as improved fuel economy but it's all to do with emissions shit and stuff apparently and someone at work said that diesels run rich at standard maps to cut down on NOX so the remap makes them use fuel more completely and other stuff as well and it's technical plus you kill the planet more but we've got another one right?

Attachment:
econnerso.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 20:12 
Decapodian

The improved economy is total bollocks, though you’ll often see a higher figure on the trip computer.
As the fuelling and boost parameters have been changed, the trip computer gets less accurate and will overestimate your mpg.
Do some proper brim to brim calculations and you’ll be able to make a true comparison.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 20:26 
Hello Hello Hello

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
The improved economy is total bollocks, though you’ll often see a higher figure on the trip computer.
As the fuelling and boost parameters have been changed, the trip computer gets less accurate and will overestimate your mpg.
Do some proper brim to brim calculations and you’ll be able to make a true comparison.

Hmm I see, so are they a good idea or not? If overall economy stays the same but other stuff gets better then it's still a positive result overall?

At 184bhp (and apparently they're often more like 190bhp when got on a dyno), this car is hardly an underpowered slouch to start with.

Maybe I should just leave it alone. The remap guy has said he's got slots available next week but I haven't actually booked the car in yet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 20:27 
Sitting balls-back folder

A proper remap on a modern engine should give accurate numbers, it's piggy back boxes and other 'external' tuning that messes it up. The computer still knows how many miles are being done and the amount of fuel that's being injected.

I leave mine displaying 'miles til empty' (trying to play mind games on myself) and it's rarely far out. I get worse consumption than before but that's right-foot related (turns out my mind games don't work very well, who knew).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 20:42 
Sitting balls-back folder

Well, also because half the injectors are failing beyond the ability of the ecu to compensate.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 20:55 

Hearthly wrote:

I'm a bit confused about remaps overall and how you can get more power as well as improved fuel economy but it's all to do with emissions shit and stuff apparently and someone at work said that diesels run rich at standard maps to cut down on NOX so the remap makes them use fuel more completely and other stuff as well and it's technical plus you kill the planet more but we've got another one right?
NOx doesn't kill the planet, it kills people. It's toxic at pretty low levels and is the main contributor to dangerous street-level air pollution in urban areas. It's responsible for tens of thousands of premature deaths per year.

https://www.londonair.org.uk/LondonAir/ ... IsNO2.aspx

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2017/0 ... ck-linked/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 21:05 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

NOx doesn't kill the planet, it kills people. It's toxic at pretty low levels and is the main contributor to dangerous street-level air pollution in urban areas. It's responsible for tens of thousands of premature deaths per year.

https://www.londonair.org.uk/LondonAir/ ... IsNO2.aspx

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2017/0 ... ck-linked/

I was being flippant and of course it's not a subject to be flippant about but it's one of those things whereby I have no real idea what the best thing to do is, considering that so many aspects of our modern lifestyles are directly ruinous in terms of the planet, other people (at home or abroad), the long-term sustainability of the human race and indeed life on Earth and so on. (It's like, all those heavy metals they need for all our favourites gadgets and gizmos, getting that shit out of the ground is nasty.)

And when they said to Google 'Stop dodging taxes!' and the big Google dude just said 'Change the law to what you want us to do, and we'll do it, in the meantime we're going to maximise shareholder value by all legal means available to us'.

So I kind of go, 'Yeah I'd like to get my car remapped to make it nicer, if it were that bad it'd probably be against the law'.

Which is clearly complete bollocks but if we thought through everything we do/buy/engage with/etc on an ethical basis no one would get out of fucking bed in the morning. *

* EDIT - Apart from nice people like nurses and stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 21:39 
Decapodian

Hearthly wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

Hmm I see, so are they a good idea or not? If overall economy stays the same but other stuff gets better then it's still a positive result overall?

At 184bhp (and apparently they're often more like 190bhp when got on a dyno), this car is hardly an underpowered slouch to start with.

Maybe I should just leave it alone. The remap guy has said he's got slots available next week but I haven't actually booked the car in yet.

There’s no harm in a good remap from a reputable tuner but there’s no point rushing into it. Wait till you get bored and then get it done (or change the car again).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 21:48 

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
There’s no harm in a good remap from a reputable tuner

If that's true, why don't cars come from the OEM already tuned that way?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 21:50 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

Why aren't graphics cards overclocked out of the box?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 22:16 

They are, though? Factory overclocking on GPUs has been a thing for ages, usually accompanied by beefier cooling on premium models.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 22:20 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

Mostly re maps iron out the flat spots in the torque curve that manufactures put there to get super efficient data at specific revs/load but usually also lean out the top end which allows for free revs up to the red line but removes a factor of safety that richness affords. Also you'll usually get it mapped on 98 and it won't run so well on 95 so there's that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 22:25 
Decapodian

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

In some cases they do come already tuned that way, albeit not that often. There have been a few VAG cars where engines have come in two different power outputs with the only difference being software.

More generally, cars are designed to run in a variety of environments, on different grades of fuel, and with less than ideal maintenance. In good conditions you can get a moderate increase in power without putting undue extra stress or wear on the drivetrain.

Yes, very obviously certain components like the clutch have the potential to wear sooner, and you can push things too far going for huge gains but an extra 15% or so is fine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 22:38 

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
More generally, cars are designed to run in a variety of environments, on different grades of fuel

Cars are festooned with sensors for temperature, air density, etc; they continuously and dynamically self adjust to different environments. Fuel quality is rigorously standardised all over Europe. These are myths.

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Yes, very obviously certain components like the clutch have the potential to wear sooner, and you can push things too far going for huge gains but an extra 15% or so is fine

That doesn't sound like "no harm."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It does if you only keep the car for four months.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:37 
Hello Hello Hello

This one's a keeper!

I am now undecided if I should get it remapped or not.

Can he like, do it wrong or something, and then the car blows up?

I'm guessing it invalidates the manufacturer warranty as well, although they're sort of 'invisible' changes so if one of the swizzy headlamps breaks (which I bet cost a zillion pounds each) and I take it back to the dealer he's not going to look at it and say 'You've had this remapped I'm not going to fix your headlamp'.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It certainly affects your insurance.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:07 
Decapodian

Yes, it invalidates chunks of your warranty, and needs to be declared on your insurance.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:20 
Hibernating Druid

Hearthly wrote:
This one's a keeper!

:DD

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:21 
Hello Hello Hello

I think I'll leave it as it is, and spend the money on luxury boxed wines instead.

It goes fast enough anyway, and it's not like I haven't just had a really fast car, so it seems silly to spend £400 making my new car go not as fast as the one I've just had.

My goal to master Android Auto to make my car like the Starship Enterprise, and I its Captain Kirk.

CAR, ENGAGE.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:24 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Kirk rarely says "engage".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:46 
Hello Hello Hello

Oh yeah I meant Picard. Who is of course the best Captain of the Enterprise.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:48 
Hello Hello Hello

Crikey, Facebook's algorithms are on the ball.

Attachment:
facers.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:35 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hearthly wrote:

Attachment:
facers.JPG

That's just basic remarketing.

You go to a webpage, that webpage has Facebook "like" buttons on, or something, Facebook can see that you've been to that website and know what that website is about, hence you start seeing adverts about it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 13:30 
Prince of Fops

Grim... wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

Attachment:
facers.JPG

That's just basic remarketing.

You go to a webpage, that webpage has Facebook "like" buttons on, or something, Facebook can see that you've been to that website and know what that website is about, hence you start seeing adverts about it.

Although I suspect this is more similar to Amazon's "you've bought X, would you like y and z to go with it." Only in hearthly's case it's: "we see you just purchased a car. Would you be interested in purchasing a car to go with it?"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 22:44 
Hello Hello Hello

Really liking the Seat, it's obviously a 'cut-price' Audi/VW in some regards (i.e. comparing things from the Golf R estate to this car, but then again the Seat is a nearly-new car for £19K and the VW was a two year old car at £23K), for example lower quality interior materials in some areas and suchlike, but beyond that it's effectively the same car. (Well apart from the engine of course, but moving from a 300bhp car to another 300bhp car seemed rather silly hence the power downgrade.)

Star of the show for me is definitely Android Auto which is totally fab so hopefully Google aren't going to 'Do a Windows Phone' on it and kill it off. It's properly integrated into the car so the only two physical buttons next to the screen are for 'Phone OS' and 'Car OS', it switches between the two seamlessly and if I move back to the car OS from Android Auto to dick about with a car setting of some sort, Android Auto still carries on playing Spotify, for example. (They basically multi-task independently of each other and you can switch between the 'Windows' to give it a familiar descriptor.) I assume there's a standard that 'Android Auto' branded cars have to meet, so they use the mic in the car, pipe the audio output to the speakers, and so on.

It's looking like it'll settle down to 50MPG+, it's a comfortable and pleasant car to drive, has a reasonable turn of speed for overtaking when required (lest we forget the previous Civic Type-R had 200bhp, this car has 184bhp, and far more torque), and is generally a nice place to be.

The folks at work are already placing bets on how long it'll last, measured in months, no one's going for years.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 15:01 
Hello Hello Hello

So here's a thing, the coolant expansion tank doesn't have a cap on it. I popped the bonnet for the first time today and immediately saw that where it should have a sealed screw-in cap, there is nothing at all.

Two questions:

1) How come the coolant hasn't overflowed and pissed out all over the engine bay? I thought coolant systems were pressurised, and it obviously can't be a pressurised system in its current state.

2) The car appears to be running fine, isn't overheating etc, how is that the case? Will the coolant even be circulating properly when it's like this?

I popped the bonnet at the end of a drive with the engine running, so the engine was up to running temperature, and it wasn't bubbling up or anything.

I've rung the dealer who was quite bewildered by it and says if I swing by tomorrow he'll replace the cap.

The picture was taken after I'd stopped the engine, but it looked just the same when the engine was running.

Attachment:
nocapsforben.JPG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 16:27 
UltraMod

New car time! This one is sullied already.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 16:30 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Lonewolves wrote:
New car time! This one is sullied already.

:DD :DD :DD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 16:49 
Hello Hello Hello

According to INTERNET RESEARCH I can't get a clear answer to this.

Some folks are saying that the expansion tank isn't pressurised and it's the radiator side of things that operates under pressure, that the expansion tank is more of an overflow and under normal conditions the cap is just there to keep debris out more than anything else. I've seen several comments along the line of 'Don't worry about it, just use something as a makeshift cap, replace it with a proper one when you can, but carry on driving normally for now and don't stress'.

Others are saying ZOMG STOP NOW ALL THE COOLANT WILL ESCAPE AND YOUR CAR WILL EXPLODE.

I assume the cap has been missing for a while, and the coolant level is still comfortably between the MIN/MAX markers, and there's no visible sign of coolant having escaped, plus when I had the bonnet open before with the engine running it wasn't bubbling up or anything - so I'm leaning towards the first school of thought.

Still a bit narked though, the dealer said they check all the fluid levels in cars before handing them over to a customer and I was just like, 'Well either the levels in this car didn't get checked, or they were checked by someone who doesn't understand that expansion tanks should have caps on them'.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 16:53 

Sell the car... it has been a week

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 16:53 

Or they were checked by someone who then either left the cap off entirely or didn't refit it properly and it came off.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 16:54 

you could talk to the dealer.. I know it is a wild thought.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 17:03 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Or they were checked by someone who then either left the cap off entirely or didn't refit it properly and it came off.

You don't need to take the cap off to check the level, you can see it very clearly through the translucent sides of the tank. It's possible they added some coolant and then forgot to put the cap back on. (Which would be bad as the only real way a coolant system can lose coolant is if there's a leak in it, so I really wouldn't expecting them to have to add any.)

Also, if you look at the picture you can see that the screw for the cap goes down a good couple of centimetres, there's no way that's just 'coming off' by itself.

KovacsC wrote:
you could talk to the dealer.. I know it is a wild thought.

I already have done, as indicated in my previous two posts.

Attachment:
dealero.JPG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 17:07 

Just sounds like the have topped it up, and forgot to put the cap on. Nothing wrong with that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 17:17 
Hello Hello Hello

KovacsC wrote:
Just sounds like the have topped it up, and forgot to put the cap on. Nothing wrong with that.

Yes there is, modern cars shouldn't lose coolant, especially a four month old car that's done 2500 miles. If it needed topping up, then the cooling system has a leak in it. (I've looked in the manual for my car, and it actually says something like 'If you need to top up your coolant then there is almost certainly a leak in the system, take the car to an approved Seat dealer for them to check the system'.)

Anyway, after more INTERNETTING I have found a decent article that says this:

Quote:
A hose or pair of hoses connect the coolant recovery tank to the radiator and allow coolant to circulate back and forth between the radiator and tank as the coolant temperature and pressure changes.

On most newer vehicles, the coolant recovery tank is not pressurized.

But on many older applications (1990s), it may be pressurized. You can tell if the reservoir is pressurized or not by the type of cap on the tank. If it has a plastic screw-on cap, the recovery tank is not pressurized. If it has a metal spring latch style cap (like a conventional radiator cap), the tank is pressurized.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/coolant_r ... ystems.htm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 17:21 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

The car is clearly faulty. You need to take it back and get a new one.

Now, did anyone have 'days' on the sweepstake?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 17:21 

SEAT must have never fitted it then, only obvious answer. If the dealer did not pop the cap off to top it up....

I am trying to keep a straight face... :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 17:37 

They were probably checking the anti freeze concentration, not topping it up and forgot to put the cap on.

I know, hardly any drahmha with that answer.

Have you checked if the sump plug is loose? Maybe you should. It might be loose. Could just be hanging on, waiting to drop out at 80mph and cause catastrophic engine failure. Not saying it is loose, just that it might be loose. They forgot the coolant cap, maybe they forgot the sump plug. Go and check it now, just to be safe.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 17:38 
Hello Hello Hello

KovacsC wrote:
SEAT must have never fitted it then, only obvious answer. If the dealer did not pop the cap off to top it up....

I am trying to keep a straight face... :)

Giphy "you got me":
https://media2.giphy.com/media/P4lbkAoPpW2iY/giphy-loop.mp4

EDIT - Not exactly what I was after, giphy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 17:39 

krazywookie wrote:
They were probably checking the anti freeze concentration, not topping it up and forgot to put the cap on.

I know, hardly any drahmha with that answer.

Have you checked if the sump plug is loose? Maybe you should. It might be loose. Could just be hanging on, waiting to drop out at 80mph and cause catastrophic engine failure. Not saying it is loose, just that it might be loose. They forgot the coolant cap, maybe they forgot the sump plug. Go and check it now, just to be safe.

:DD :DD :DD

You Sir, are evil.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 17:41 
UltraMod

Do they have a newer car available?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 17:43 

It's sump plug might also be loose.

There's nowhere to hide, you'll just have to get an ev.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 20:43 
Awesome
Yes

When our Ford Firsta overheated it was because the pope for the coolant tank popped off. We bought more coolant and he topped up the tank and then ran the engine with the heating on inside full blast and revving was engine loads to make it boil up.

He left the cap off the whole time and it was boiling away merrily and bubbling but none ever spilled out.

So I guess you’re ok as long as you don’t bounce around or drive at a 45 degree angle or something.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 21:52 
Comfortably Dumb

Mr Russell wrote:
When our Ford Firsta overheated it was because the pope for the coolant tank popped off.

I'd get that Catholic Converter seen to.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 22:08 
Unpossible!

devilman wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
When our Ford Firsta overheated it was because the pope for the coolant tank popped off.

Giphy "bravo":
https://media2.giphy.com/media/xTiTnmsLNtyyfalqVO/giphy-loop.mp4

Edit: fuuuuuuck you, giphy!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:50 

devilman wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

We could tell there was something happening due to the colour of the smoke that started appearing, in pontiff fact.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:15 

devilman wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

And when you do, see if they'll give you a better price if you pay with Papal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:46 

GazChap wrote:
devilman wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

And when you do, see if they'll give you a better price if you pay with Papal.

:DD :DD

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 486, 487, 488, 489, 490, 491, 492 ... 613  Next