Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars Battlefront
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 15:58 
Prince of Fops

LewieP wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
LewieP wrote:
My theory is that it's deliberate on behalf of the filmmakers.

Presumably you mean the creator of the gif and not George Miller?

No I mean the filmmakers. I don't think the creator of the gif had any say in framing the shot or directing Tom Hardy.

If film makers are starting to building meme-worthy stuff into their films, then they're making films wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 16:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

devilman wrote:
Grim... wrote:
devilman wrote:
Grim... wrote:
And I'm not saying loot boxes are a good idea - I don't hate them, but I hope they end up in every game either.

[...]the stuff in the boxes doesn't give you an advantage against other players.

Why not?

Because anyone buying a game later than everyone else and playing online is already going to be at a disadvantage skill-wise. Them having better stuff makes that gap even wider.

That's not loot-crate specific, though. What about games that give you stuff as you level up?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 16:14 
UltraMod

Grim… is Ronnie Wrongman from Rongton, Illinois. Bamba is Dwight Wright from Rightsville, Tennessee.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 16:17 
Comfortably Dumb

Grim... wrote:
devilman wrote:
Grim... wrote:
devilman wrote:
Grim... wrote:
And I'm not saying loot boxes are a good idea - I don't hate them, but I hope they end up in every game either.

[...]the stuff in the boxes doesn't give you an advantage against other players.

Why not?

Because anyone buying a game later than everyone else and playing online is already going to be at a disadvantage skill-wise. Them having better stuff makes that gap even wider.

That's not loot-crate specific, though. What about games that give you stuff as you level up?

True, but then I wouldn't play a game like that either, unless it was co-op (Diablo II springs to mind as one that I've played, but WoW I guess too) rather than PvP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 16:17 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
Frankly I don't understand your position in the slightest

Really? Have you actually given it any thought, or are you in too much of a hurry to get to the keyboard?

Bamba wrote:
and it comes across like you're either just being contrary for the sake of it or because you actually bought the stupid thing and feel some need to defend that.

If it helps, it's really, really good ;)

Bamba wrote:
People feel 'entitled' to be annoyed by it because they fucking are entitled! Either by dint of wanting to actually play a game that isn't trying to fuck them in the wallet while they do or because they would like to purchase other entertainment in the same medium that will not also try to fuck them in the wallet because it's been normalised here.

They're entitled to shit all. All they have to do is not fucking buy it! There's no better way to make a point to the publisher than to not spend money on the fucking thing. There are umpteen other games to play that don't want your money, and if they sell loads more copies than games with MTX in then MTX will go away really, really quickly.

Bamba wrote:
(or even £70 if they're a lunatic)

Wow, clever.

Bamba wrote:
this is people wanting to spend £50 on a game and be safe in the knowledge that they won't then have to constantly battle systems designed to make them want to spend even more money on top of that.

So. Play. A. Different. Game.

I could see people being angry if they bought the game and then suddenly it was changed to something else, that's a shitty thing to do. And, wouldn't you know it - that's exactly what they've caused to happen.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 16:19 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lonewolves wrote:
Grim… is Ronnie Wrongman from Rongton, Illinois. Bamba is Dwight Wright from Rightsville, Tennessee.

I own a copy of the game. I am a game owner. I am the victim of this game's mechanics. By Myptical law, my opinion is of greater value than anyone else's.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 16:21 
SavyGamer

Grim... I think your position is that you want to have the option of skipping grind by paying money.

But how is that preferable to being able to skip grind without paying money. That way everyone can skip grind, regardless of their disposable income.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 16:25 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

LewieP wrote:
Grim... I think your position is that you want to have the option of skipping grind by paying money.

But how is that preferable to being able to skip grind without paying money. That way everyone can skip grind, regardless of their disposable income.

The only way that works is if you never have an unlock system. Because otherwise you make people either sink time or money into unlocks, and time and money are both equally available or unavailable to different people.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 16:31 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

I own a copy of the game. I am a game owner. I am the victim of this game's mechanics. By Myptical law, my opinion is of greater value than anyone else's.

Sad troll is sad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 16:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Sad troll is sad

Fuck off, that was hilarious!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 16:36 
INFINITE POWAH

Yeah, grim won that one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 16:36 
INFINITE POWAH

Only by paying, mind.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 16:37 
UltraMod

MrChris wrote:
Yeah, grim won that one.

If you found it funny then that just confirms it wasn't. :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 16:37 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Really? Have you actually given it any thought, or are you in too much of a hurry to get to the keyboard?

What, am I typing too fast for you? Seriously, what does this even mean? That if I don't agree with you it can only be because I just haven't thought about it enough? 8)

Grim... wrote:

I thought you yourself weren't actually playing it? That's not a dig, I thought it was just the Grimlet who was playing it.

Grim... wrote:
They're entitled to shit all. All they have to do is not fucking buy it! There's no better way to make a point to the publisher than to not spend money on the fucking thing. There are umpteen other games to play that don't want your money, and if they sell loads more copies than games with MTX in then MTX will go away really, really quickly.

People are always entitled to opinions about stuff in their sphere of interest and claiming otherwise is flat out bonkers. That's always true, but in this specific case the fact that not complaining will normalise this crap for future games is more than justification enough. Yes, people can not buy the game but sadly there's enough idiots out there--especially when it comes to fanboy bait like Star Wars--who will close their eyes and make their excuses and stump up for it anyway so that protest in itself isn't likely to be effective enough. And if that simply meant, for instance, that EA got rewarded for making a single shite game then yeah, hell-mend the idiots that bought it and that would be the end of that. But the fact that we've even got to the stage where you're able to pull out an industry standard abbreviation for bloody micro-transactions shows how pervasive this has become in general. None of this is happening in a bubble and even people who aren't and won't buy this one game have more than enough reason to worry about the direction it's dragging us all.

Grim... wrote:
Wow, clever.

It wasn't meant to be clever, but neither was it fair so my apologies dude. :kiss:

Grim... wrote:
I could see people being angry if they bought the game and then suddenly it was changed to something else, that's a shitty thing to do. And, wouldn't you know it - that's exactly what they've caused to happen.

Technically this is true but it's not like they've removed swathes of functionality or something, they've changed the economy surrounding the functionality to make it less of a piss take. And unless there's evidence of masses of people who thought the original balance of the game was brilliant fun then it's a weak argument in this specific case.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 16:42 
Hibernating Druid

I'm siding with Grim... as he regularly heals me in KF2.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 16:43 
INFINITE POWAH

Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Yeah, grim won that one.

If you found it funny then that just confirms it wasn't. :D

Your timing is wonderful.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 16:47 
Sleepyhead

Zardoz wrote:

Grim... plays as a Medic???

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 16:48 
Hibernating Druid

I know.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 16:49 
Hibernating Druid

It was mainly so he could fart heals.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 16:50 
Hibernating Druid

He's comfortable in most roles though, that's why he's also an excellent lover.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 16:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:

What, am I typing too fast for you? Seriously, what does this even mean? That if I don't agree with you it can only be because I just haven't thought about it enough? 8)

The latter. Nothing I'm saying is complicated. If it helps, it eventually boils down to "some people enjoy different things to others", or "why should the vocal people get to say what should change and what shouldn't". Oddly, it eventually comes back to bridleways. But that's just me.

Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I thought you yourself weren't actually playing it? That's not a dig, I thought it was just the Grimlet who was playing it.

Indeed so. He says it's the best game he's ever played*, and it keeps him the fuck quiet, so it's really good that way, too.

Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:

People are always entitled to opinions about stuff in their sphere of interest and claiming otherwise is flat out bonkers.

Absolutely they're entitled to an opinion, but they're presenting it as fact. "Everybody hates this. No-one wants loot creates."
I really fucking disliked Alien: Covenant and I happen to love the shit out of the Xenomorph franchise, but I don't feel I have any right to demand that Ridley Scott changes the movie, or that he shouldn't be allowed to make any more.

Bamba wrote:
That's always true, but in this specific case the fact that not complaining will normalise this crap for future games is more than justification enough. Yes, people can not buy the game but sadly there's enough idiots out there--especially when it comes to fanboy bait like Star Wars--who will close their eyes and make their excuses and stump up for it anyway so that protest in itself isn't likely to be effective enough.

Well, sorry, but that's tough shit. Maybe the people that enjoy this gameplay mechanic and enjoy Star Wars too get to keep this one? They can not buy the next one instead.

Bamba wrote:
And if that simply meant, for instance, that EA got rewarded for making a single shite game then yeah, hell-mend the idiots that bought it and that would be the end of that. But the fact that we've even got to the stage where you're able to pull out an industry standard abbreviation for bloody micro-transactions shows how pervasive this has become in general. None of this is happening in a bubble and even people who aren't and won't buy this one game have more than enough reason to worry about the direction it's dragging us all.

A slightly different (more general) point here, but it's not inconceivable for the opposite direction to MTX (or DLC, although the distinction is blurry) to be 'really expensive initial purchase prices'. Right now, I (and you, I wager) play a lot of free mobile games. I'm really enjoying one called Golf Clash, for example, and it's completely free - you can buy jewels that help you get better clubs and stuff, but you can get them by just playing the game enough (or by just waiting for the free chests to come in, I guess).
Thing is, this game is only free because 1% of people (or whatever) pay for those gems - and that's a model I'm more than okay with. Let Johnny Richman pay the devs and have his shiny stuff, I'm down with that if it means I get the game cheaper.

Bamba wrote:
apologies dude. :kiss:

No worries :kiss:

Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Technically this is true but it's not like they've removed swathes of functionality or something, they've changed the economy surrounding the functionality to make it less of a piss take. And unless there's evidence of masses of people who thought the original balance of the game was brilliant fun then it's a weak argument in this specific case.

Why masses? Why not one?

* I have watched him play, and I might give the singleplayer a go at some point, as it looks fun. The other thing I've noticed is that you get skill matched (unless you turn that off) so you can't really 'pay to win', as you'll always be playing people with similar loadouts. The other thing is that the Grimlet is kicking the shit out of everyone with the basic trooper and pistol, so :shrug:.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 17:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Christ, that's long. I won't be offended if you don't reply to every line :S

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 17:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Curiosity wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

Grim... plays as a Medic???

Yeah, it's in a game where you have to kill a load of zombies. You should try it some night, you might like it.

He does?!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 17:30 
SavyGamer

EA's stock price has dropped by 7%
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/17/wall-st ... -game.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 17:31 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
"why should the vocal people get to say what should change and what shouldn't"

Well, in this case, it's not just about people being vocal but the sheer number of them saying it. EA are in the business of selling things--not just this thing but other things in the future presumably--so when a large number of your customers and/or potential future customers go fucking apeshit about something then you take it into account. I'm not really sure what else you're suggesting should happen? There's an implication behind this and other things you've said that there's a load of loot box lovers quietly weeping to themselves as the ravening hordes steal all their fun but where are you getting that from?

Grim... wrote:
Absolutely they're entitled to an opinion, but they're presenting it as fact. "Everybody hates this. No-one wants loot creates."
I really fucking disliked Alien: Covenant and I happen to love the shit out of the Xenomorph franchise, but I don't feel I have any right to demand that Ridley Scott changes the movie, or that he shouldn't be allowed to make any more.

You do have the right to demand, it's just equally his right to ignore you completely if he sees fit. It's also far from a perfect comparison given that Ridley Scott isn't charging you to enter the cinema then charging you again to skip the bits of the film you don't like. This whole thing is very unique to the medium of gaming and I don't think comparing it to anything else is all that useful. People want to enjoy games. They want to enjoy Star Wars games. When literally the only company in the world that's allowed to make a Star Wars game releases something that people feel is predatory I think they're right to complain.

Grim... wrote:
Well, sorry, but that's tough shit. Maybe the people that enjoy this gameplay mechanic and enjoy Star Wars too get to keep this one? They can not buy the next one instead.

This just takes me back to two of my main points here: (1) does this load of people who genuinely enjoy paying for loot boxes actually exists and (2) if no one complains this time round then there won't be a next game with no such horrible mechanics to be skipped because it'll be normalised and then stuffed into everything. This isn't just an argument about this game, it's an argument about all such games to come.

Grim... wrote:
Thing is, this game is only free because 1% of people (or whatever) pay for those gems - and that's a model I'm more than okay with. Let Johnny Richman pay the devs and have his shiny stuff, I'm down with that if it means I get the game cheaper.

I feel this is a different thing and I'm not generally against proper freemium games. If you get the game free up front then of course the dev has to, and absolutely should, monetise it elsewhere. However this is a full price game that's also got extra payment nonsense stuffed in and that can GTFF. Similarly, ads in free mobile games are fair enough but imagine a flashing 'punch the monkey banner' across your TV during your next Endor death match, surely you wouldn't put up with that? The other crux is how these mechanics are allowed to impact the balance of the game for everyone, not just the whales. It's impossible to prove of course but it's felt that, for instance, the design of BF2 here was tilted towards encouraging buying loot boxes by making the unlock conditions for Vader et al otherwise near prohibitive. So that's not just lazy Mr Whale subsidising your experience, that's the experience being made more onerous because they want you to also buy this stuff (or to encourage Mr Whale to do it more and quicker at least). All players of the game are impacted by this stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 18:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Quickly:

No-one forced me to watch Alien: Covenant, but no-one is forcing anyone to buy loot boxes. At least BF2 didn't take a steaming [COVENANT RANT DELETED]
Main point 1: some people obviously like loot boxes or they wouldn't spend loads of money on them.
Main point 2: is somewhat far-fetched. If people hate the mechanic as much as you think, they won't buy the game.
Freemium games are different (hence the qualifier "A slightly different (more general) point here"), but the cost of making AAA games (and probably others) keeps going up, so something has to give somewhere, and unless someone else comes up with a clever idea, I'm down with this method.
Finally, again, if Vader is too much money, don't buy him. Oh, you "deserve" Vader because you're you*? Get the fuck out of here.

* Not you you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 18:09 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I'm surprised there's been no obvious GTA comparisons. GTA Online is incredibly geared towards making people pay real money to avoid having to grind in-game to get the cool shit, to the point where Rockstar openly admit how much of a fortune they're making out of it, and it's undoubtedly slowed down any release of sequels. But that's just seemingly fine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 18:10 
Bad Girl

Grim... wrote:
Main point 1: some people obviously like loot boxes or they wouldn't spend loads of money on them.
Main point 2: is somewhat far-fetched. If people hate the mechanic as much as you think, they won't buy the game.
Freemium games are different (hence the qualifier "A slightly different (more general) point here"), but the cost of making AAA games (and probably others) keeps going up, so something has to give somewhere, and unless someone else comes up with a clever idea, I'm down with this method.
Finally, again, if Vader is too much money, don't buy him. Oh, you "deserve" Vader because you're you*? Get the fuck out of here.

* Not you you.

It doesn't matter whether people “like” lootboxes, the tactic itself is scum and takes advantage of purchasers. Direct sales of items via MTX can still support fund games. There’s no reason to defend the gambling-esq mechanics being attached to the purchase.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 18:11 
UltraMod

Cras wrote:
I'm surprised there's been no obvious GTA comparisons. GTA Online is incredibly geared towards making people pay real money to avoid having to grind in-game to get the cool shit, to the point where Rockstar openly admit how much of a fortune they're making out of it, and it's undoubtedly slowed down any release of sequels. But that's just seemingly fine.

I don't like it either, but Rockstar probably enjoys a lot of "gamer capital" that EA just don't have because of their continual shady behaviour.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 18:12 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

So is the objection more to the random chance aspect than the pay money aspect? If Vader was an outright £10 would folks be less bothered?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 18:13 
UltraMod

Cras wrote:
So is the objection more to the random chance aspect than the pay money aspect? If Vader was an outright £10 would folks be less bothered?

A lot less bothered, yes. That's a finite amount and you know what you're getting. Whether it's value for money is up to you to decide.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 18:15 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Lonewolves wrote:
Cras wrote:

A lot less bothered, yes. That's a finite amount and you know what you're getting. Whether it's value for money is up to you to decide.

I wonder if the complaining crowd at large would agree with that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 18:15 
Hibernating Druid

Star Wars Battlefront Micro-transactions: No one's Force-ing you®

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 18:19 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Zardoz wrote:
Star Wars Battlefront Micro-transactions: No one's Force-ing you®

/thread

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 18:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cras wrote:

No-one seems to agree on what the actual objection is, but I think there's just several.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 18:22 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I think rockstar have been really quite shitty to a significant group of players with the initial “buy this game, there will be shit loads of dlc” and then releasing precisely no single player dlc due to mp having a higher gdp than The phillipines. Read the comments under their weekly gta online Facebook posts for evidence of the objections here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 18:23 
Rude Belittler

Zardoz wrote:

Liar! Grim.. never heals anyone in KF2 (except by accident)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 18:24 
UltraMod

Also Rockstar are quite transparent with "here's some in-game currency which is actually US dollars in game so actually makes a semblance of sense." Plus you don't have to spin a roulette wheel to see if you get the huge apartment you want.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 18:27 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Lonewolves wrote:
Also Rockstar are quite transparent with "here's some in-game currency which is actually US dollars in game so actually makes a semblance of sense." Plus you don't have to spin a roulette wheel to see if you get the huge apartment you want.

No, although it’s now a game of spin the roulette wheel to see if you can actually ever get to your apartment without being blown up by jets in open play.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 18:29 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
I think rockstar have been really quite shitty to a significant group of players with the initial “buy this game, there will be shit loads of dlc” and then releasing precisely no single player dlc due to mp having a higher gdp than The phillipines. Read the comments under their weekly gta online Facebook posts for evidence of the objections here.

Lol get sum friends, nubz.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 18:29 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lonewolves wrote:

Although they do want to add an in-game casino, which you'd play on with in-game money.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 18:30 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Rockstar actually did an interview about the the lack of SP DLC last month: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/ ... nline.aspx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 18:31 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Although they do want to add an in-game casino, which you'd play on with in-game money.

Again I'm kind of ok with this. It's a game for adults that features drinking, violence and sex. Gambling isn't really any worse.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 18:32 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

BF is, of course, a game for adults that involves murdering. Constant, unabated murdering.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 18:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It should be noted that people are actively bitching about GTA:Online, and would see it shut down to get their SP DLC. They've accused Rockstar of "stripping the SP of content and purposely crippling it". I asked what they had stripped out (this was on Reddit) and the answer was something like "They're not putting the cars and guns they make for GTA:O into SP". Then I asked how they'd crippled it and didn't get an answer.

I guess I do agree with them - if Rockstar did promise DLC (and did they? I've not seen anything (but that doesn't mean jack, I haven't looked)) and then didn't deliver that's arguably reason enough to get your money back - and a lot worse (IMO) than what EA has done.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 18:36 
UltraMod

Cras wrote:
BF is, of course, a game for adults that involves murdering. Constant, unabated murdering.

As we've already covered in this thread, I think it's much more likely parents will buy a Star Wars game for their children than a GTA one. Plus are 16 year olds adults now?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 18:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cras wrote:

Yes, but different because Star Wars.

[edit] See?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 18:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lonewolves wrote:
Cras wrote:

As we've already covered in this thread, I think it's much more likely parents will buy a Star Wars game for their children than a GTA one.

Plenty of kids play GTA.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 18:40 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Re: PEGI ratings - I know shops aren't allowed to sell kids a game if the kid is younger than the age rating, but are kids allowed to play them if someone else buys them?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 18:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Yes, absolutely they are

Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next