Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Official BETEO GT Sport Race Club of Gentlemen
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 19:20 
UltraMod

Pundabaya wrote:
(oh yeah, one of the flaws in the system, you can totally grind sportsmanship rating. You have to be racing to get into racing incidents, after all. Just let everyone pass you at the start of an online race and rack up those clean sectors.)

People do that in iRacing too, but I don't really see the point. Your skill rating will just go down surely?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 20:04 

Yeah I don't see the point in trying to game the system. I think if you just play however you want to play and give it some time then you'll mostly ended up with like-minded folk.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 20:05 

Pundabaya wrote:
I think the people way faster than me might be using wheels. Dirty cheating twats.

There are some people up there using pads too. So it's not that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 20:09 

Seriously though it must surely be much harder with a pad even though they've put lots of effort into making it playable that way. I'll have to give it a go.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 21:11 
Rude Belittler

Lonewolves wrote:
Pundabaya wrote:
(oh yeah, one of the flaws in the system, you can totally grind sportsmanship rating. You have to be racing to get into racing incidents, after all. Just let everyone pass you at the start of an online race and rack up those clean sectors.)

People do that in iRacing too, but I don't really see the point. Your skill rating will just go down surely?

The point? The tears of people who think that an S rating is a shield from Demolition Pundy?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 13:56 

Well this was a shitshow last night. Did plenty of practice for the Brands Hatch race. Got a decent qualifying lap in and then bing! "you have been disconnected from the network" :'(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 17:02 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
Well this was a shitshow last night. Did plenty of practice for the Brands Hatch race. Got a decent qualifying lap in and then bing! "you have been disconnected from the network" :'(

Oh yeah, that's a killer. Think of it as some mechanical fault instead.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 18:51 

Yeah, I wasn't too fussed I just went on and did one of the other races instead. I'll try again tonight but it's a bit of a shitty track for this round.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 0:40 
Rude Belittler

Well it turns out I'm shit hot at this sportsmanship thing. Just shit at going fast.

Anyone wan to buy a lightly soiled copy of GT Sport?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 23:41 
Rude Belittler

Well thats my first season done, points scores:

Nations cup : 36
Manufacturers: 17 (though I only completed 2 races)

See, told you I was shit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:35 

Good race last night for the FIA manufacturers series thing. It was on Willow Springs which is a pretty fun track in so far as it has virtually no concrete run off, just acres of dirt. So going wide is usually very costly. Managed to qualify second and then spent almost the whole race in a three way battle before eventually finishing in second. I'm starting to wonder if I'm too courteous at times, though. At one point I thought I'd run someone wide so I eased off and gave them the place back but on looking at the replay I'd left them plenty of room and they'd just made a mistake and driven off the track all by themselves. Then coming out of the final corner on the final lap the guy behind got a run on me. I'm pretty sure that 90% of players might have blocked here. I could have won, easily, but I just moved once then held my line knowing I was going to lose the drag race to the line.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 14:45 
UltraMod

I am usually very courteous unless it's the last couple of laps and then all bets are off.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 15:29 

Yeah, I'd have felt like a right cunt just blatantly weaving about all over to block although I could have made it just a bit harder for him and probably won as a result. To be honest though I don't really care about the result if it's been a good race.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 15:45 
UltraMod

You don't need to weave about, and that is a cuntish thing to do. There are a few things you can do though. Take the inside line through the corner to make them try going around the outside (do this early so they don't just try to sling it up the inside). You can also back them up by going a bit slower to the apex. If there's a specific part of the track where they're faster but you know you're fine for the rest of the lap, defend hard there and then just pull away again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 15:57 

Yeah I understand how to defend in general. The last corner at Willow Springs is a very, very long and wide double apex corner followed by a long run to the line. I wasn't defending in the corner as he was too far back for it to really be necessary. I was just too cautious and really not wanting to bin it on the final lap but basically just misjudged how far back he was so by the exit of the corner he had enough speed to get by before the line.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 18:25 
UltraMod

Rookie error! :D

I've got past the stage of being frightened of binning it on the last lap now. Took me ages though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 19:47 
Rude Belittler

The controller nearly went through the TV last night. Going round the oval, battling with another dude in a clean, pretty fun battle for 13th and 14th, let him through as he had a better run out of the turn, and I wanted to draft him for an attempt next turn and spun by a dude coming from behind. Dead last and a lap down.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 19:49 
UltraMod

Try not getting spun from behind

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:34 
Rude Belittler

A few not "me being shit" annoyances:

The qualifying rules for 'live" qualifying suck: You get very limited time, which is understandable, but your out lap eats into this. So you have to push hard on your out lap to maximise your chance of putting in your best hot lap. Your out lap doesn't count, either.

When it ends, it ends. You can be literally inches from the line on a pole time, and boom, because you ran out of time, doesn't count.

If you finish the lap with time penalties, they are added to your lap time. And your next lap doesn't count. Which means that, if it's close to the start of qualifying, you have to push hard, and don't even get the benefit of the time. If you know a lap is about 2 minutes and there's 4 minutes left, you might as well park up. (Which is what I saw a bunch of people doing last night.)

So I'm seeing lots and lots of incidents in qualifying, because 1) you have to push hard all the time to get laps in. 2) it tends to be full of traffic, because waiting for a half lap to get clear tarmac may be punished. 3) time penalties are lethal, so people are slowing down to get rid of them.

Other annoyances: Does it really need to do a 20 car flyby at the start of the race? (In FIA races) It takes forever, and everyone knows what grid position they are in. I don't need to know I've qualified 18/20... Again.

Unskippable winner cutscenes. It's not me (it won't ever be me) so I don't give a fuck. Let me skip it if I want.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 18:57 

Managed to qualify first for a race last night, then immediately got twatted at Druids and then punted straight off at Graham Hill bend by the cheating cunt who won. But I still had a fun race working my way back up from 19th to 9th. And afterwards the couple of people behind me at the start who saw what happened stayed in the chat to commiserate with me and call the winner a cheat which was nice.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:19 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Is there a reporting mechanism?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:29 

Nah, and the current safety rating system is quite basic. It's not difficult to get the top S class safety rating. You could if you wanted to keep it by only cheating when you really need to in order to win. But most people don't and if some prick needs to win that badly then fuck them. I had some good racing with decent folks making my way back through so wasn't too upset.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:12 

Good race last night. Qualified on pole and got away clean but made a minor mistake and got passed by someone, but then I kept it clean and after two laps with me on his bumper he could take the pressure no more, went too deep into a corner and hit a wall. Then he spent the rest of the race fighting with the cars behind. It was tense, though. For eight laps they were never more than one mistake behind me and tyre wear was on. I was constantly having to brake earlier but also trying not to give too much away. But I held on and by the last lap I had managed to gap them to about four seconds so I could drive safely to the line for sweet, glorious victory and clean race bonus points.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:24 
UltraMod

Nice! Wins are so good. Enjoy the moment!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:40 

The problem is if I do well in another race I'll get moved up a rank. So I'll be a poor dickhead scrapping in the melee at the back again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 13:08 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
The problem is if I do well in another race I'll get moved up a rank. So I'll be a poor dickhead scrapping in the melee at the back again.

Yes but then in a month's time you'll be top of that one. You learn more about yourself as a racer by racing against better drivers. I don't see the point in thrashing idiots over and and over again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 13:49 
Paws for thought

Lonewolves wrote:
I don't see the point in thrashing idiots over and and over again.

Is that why you go for the role of idiot to be thrashed? Or just the natural state of things.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 14:27 
Rude Belittler

Hah. You don't get to race against better drivers, you just get to scrap against idiots like you while the better drivers disappear into the distance.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 15:06 

There's at least a couple of dickheads in every race. I've found that, in GR3 at least, most of the top knobheads seem to be either in Porsches or those other fucking shitty actual Beetles.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 15:10 
UltraMod

Pundabaya wrote:
Hah. You don't get to race against better drivers, you just get to scrap against idiots like you while the better drivers disappear into the distance.

I'm assuming you get better as time goes on. In your case I'm happy to make an exception. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 15:16 
Gogmagog

markg wrote:
There's at least a couple of dickheads in every race. I've found that, in GR3 at least, most of the top knobheads seem to be either in Porsches or those other fucking shitty actual Beetles.

You meet the nicest people in a Honda.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 19:44 
Rude Belittler

I actually think the Driver Rating bands are too few and broad. There's people in D class who destroy me, and people I destroy (many more of the former than the latter, I freely admit) But I don't actually know what the rating is based on. And you don't get any indication of whether you're going up or down or staying the same. I mean, I'm not going up, but either I'd expect to have dropped to E class or the racing get a bit easier.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 19:47 

It does show a bar in your profile to show whereabouts you are in the band.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:27 

December patch adds some good stuff:

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/11 ... ague-more/

It's pretty cheap on the store right now for anyone daft enough to not already have it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:46 
Rude Belittler

A weird thing I noticed the other day: You don't get any recognition for coming second or third at all. Like it doesn't show you on the podium, it doesn't mention who came second or third in the race results cutscene. It doesn't even keep track of podium finishes in the "acheivement" section. It just seems odd for a game that is supposedly about fair play.

You might get some more money and XP, but the game is really vague on that point, and both are pretty useless. (You use the money to buy cars, but the game throws so many gift cars at you, and if we're talking online there's little use in most classes of car. I mean, the only ones that are worth buying are G3 and G4. And you can borrow those by signing a contract with a manufacturer).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:52 

Yeah, it would also be nice if there was any way at all to see your past results other than just saving the replays.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:53 
UltraMod

That would drive me mad. I often pore over my results and stats. Shows how much I'm improving (or not, this week).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:59 

I mean it probably wouldn't really tell me anything I don't already know but I like that sort of thing too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:08 

I do like the replays in this game, though. They look great and I sometimes spend time watching the race from the POV of other cars, if nothing else can help you stop thinking the worst of people all the time. In a race the other night I thought that the someone tried to dive bomb me and just missed, he was even flashing his lights as he nearly hit me. But when I watched it back he'd braked correctly and got punted by the guy behind, I think he was flashing his lights as a warning, not that there was anything I could really do in the middle of a corner. He got dropped about twelve places and I really enjoyed watching his whole race and rooting for him as he made his way back through.

Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2